Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    New zealand never had cats or rats or any predatory mammals. It would be like introducing them to madagascar these days.

I think the damage has already been done tbh, but im sure some of it could be reversed. Having cats there is not nature.
  • Options
    At a seminar/conference I was at recently one of the speakers said that domestic cats in this country are one of the biggest threats to our wildlife, like our dormice and such so it's not just new zealand.

Also on the fat subject - I can't believe how blatantly embarrassing fat bodies is all about shaming fatties. Even all the little intros with the doctors pulling faces at peoples bodies. It's so patronising. I know the clue is in the title but still
  • Options
    I think the 70 year old cap on life is ridiculous.
    I agree with the death penalty for certain crimes though, maybe 5 level 1 strikes and your out... 10 level b crimes and your out etc or 1 code red motherfucker crime and your out, we could iron out the wrinkles later...
  • Options
    I'll agree to a 70 year old age cap when the law states you cannot claim any benefits, student loans/discounts etc until the age of 30.
  • Options
    bettyboo wrote: »
    I think the 70 year old cap on life is ridiculous.

Given that we define death before 74 as "early" and "avoidable", I'm inclined to agree.

I find myself repeating an earlier comment though, this thread is filled with ignorance. The judgemental approach in many comments is depressing and it's not often I quote the bible (cos it's a book) but "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone". This thread reads more like an edition of the Daily Mail than one of educated people, many of whom came here because of their own problems.
  • Options
    Given that we define death before 74 as "early" and "avoidable", I'm inclined to agree.

I find myself repeating an earlier comment though, this thread is filled with ignorance. The judgemental approach in many comments is depressing and it's not often I quote the bible (cos it's a book) but "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone". This thread reads more like an edition of the Daily Mail than one of educated people, many of whom came here because of their own problems.

:yes:
  • Options
    :yes:
    Aye here too.

Though, I still kind of think people who can't park should have their cars crushed into cubes.
  • Options
    Hear hear.
  • Options
    I think in part it was my fault for not setting guidelines for the thread clearly enough so I sorry about that. Plenty are coming from different angles. (1. Sincere but not severe e.g. Tea is a rubbish drink / 2. Insincere and not severe e.g. Crush people's cars who can't park 3. Sincere and severe e.g. 9/11 was an inside job 4. Insincere and severe e.g. Lol holocaust was made up)

Also I did try to mini moderate by reporting posts myself, and asking users to try to stick to topic (and I'm sure others have helped as well) but there's only so much I can do myself. I gave up properly about 50 posts in (lexi accurately called me out as being annoyed). Since then the thread has meandered plenty.

Though as I inferred in an earlier post, it can be more useful to say which posts are offensive and perhaps why (SM for example has caused controversy but I think it's clear she was playing Devil's advocate) rather than state the whole thread or line of discussion is offensive and ignorant.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Aye here too.

Though, I still kind of think people who can't park should have their cars crushed into cubes.

Indeed. It certainly would reduce the number of female drivers on the road :D :razz:
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Indeed. It certainly would reduce the number of female drivers on the road :D :razz:
    Don't see how... its guys I see who seem to think they need two spaces to park their cock extensions. :razz:
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Seriously - learn to LISTEN to your body. It will tell you when it's full and that's the point at which you need to stop eating/drinking.

Hahahaha

If I under-eat I stop being hungry. If I over-eat I stop being full
  • Options
    I quite like it, it gives the opportunity to air those bits of "I know this is unpopular, but I don't understand why, and I can't really talk about it because I know it's unpopular" thinking weirdnesses
  • Options
    Jelly tots are actually the solution to dealing with many of lifes problems.
  • Options
    Jelly tots are actually the solution to dealing with many of lifes problems.

stuffing them up managers' nostrils gives them a clue they're being unreasonable?
  • Options
    i like it too. It gets juicy. I would rather someone aired an unpopular opinion and got other peoples viewpoints on it, and either clarified their belief, or changed their mind. Its all education innit?
  • Options
    i like it too. It gets juicy. I would rather someone aired an unpopular opinion and got other peoples viewpoints on it, and either clarified their belief, or changed their mind. Its all education innit?

The other great thing is fresh, unique content pushes the site right up Google listings. 'Holocaust didn't happen' we will be number one next week ;-)
  • Options
    controversy ftw, as long as im allowed to call a cunt a cunt for the cuntraversial opinions
  • Options

This. I <3 SCC, she says what I mean to say
  • Options
    Hahahaha

If I under-eat I stop being hungry. If I over-eat I stop being full

You've missed the point.

Your body WILL tell you when you're full. But if somebody (not aimed at you btw) is so used to wolfing food down or just concentrating on how nice it tastes then they'll need to re-learn how to do it.

First of all under-eating is wrong, bad, BS and dangerous. If you leave your body wanting more then it goes in to starvation mode and slows your metabolism down which is what you don't want. There is a big difference between your body wanting more and you wanting more because you love the taste of what you're eating.

The best thing to start off with is SLOW THE F**K DOWN when eating. I've always been guilty of wolfing down a meal if it's one of my favourites and by the time I've cleared my plate I'd have gone way past the point of full. When it's a double cheeseburger or salad it's the same result.

Changing eating habits isn't going to happen overnight, it takes time to train yourself to learn when you're full. I don't do diets, I don't eat anything differently now than I did back in May before I started all this other than I no longer have the 13 inch pizza from Pizza Hut - I just have the 9 inch now. I don't have the 20 nuggets box from McDs anymore but I still love my double cheeseburgers. It's just a case of slowing down and listening to your body. I'm proof this shit works.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think in part it was my fault for not setting guidelines for the thread clearly enough so I sorry about that. Plenty are coming from different angles.

I have no problem with the thread just the basis of some of the opinions. Informed debate is good. Ignorance, prejudice and hatred less so.
  • Options
    I like that this thread has sparked more debates in P&D. I didn't like the initial feeling that it was 'trolling' to challenge an unpopular view but that seems to have changed now. I also like that I've been made to question the debates I want to get involved in and what actually even makes a 'debate'.. It's all a learning experience :thumb:
  • Options
    i think listening to your body and expecting it to tell you what is good for it is a great idea in theory, but in the real world it doesnt work like that.

unless you are living at one with nature, nothing else to concentrate on, and all your food is totally clean, then it is just not to be relied on. My body could easily tell me to eat a bar of chocolate when i havent slept properly or am a bit stoned.
    My partner a couple of weeks ago realised that he hadnt eaten for 3 days. he rarely feels hungry. Just has to remember to eat, whereas my blood sugar tells me to eat hourly. I have to be careful not to overdo it and i have to watch what i eat. especially now im getting older. Some bodies over produce leptin, others underproduce it. Some foods actually override this hormone so that you dont feel satisfied after eating it
  • Options
    I like that this thread has sparked more debates in P&D. I didn't like the initial feeling that it was 'trolling' to challenge an unpopular view but that seems to have changed now. I also like that I've been made to question the debates I want to get involved in and what actually even makes a 'debate'.. It's all a learning experience :thumb:

When I was saying trolling in the first few pages, I was referring to shikari and not yourself. Shikari was posting things which were there to incense and upset people and I reported his post, my angle was' don't feed the troll' not 'your opinion isn't welcome' and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Your opinions are completely welcome.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the thread just the basis of some of the opinions. Informed debate is good. Ignorance, prejudice and hatred less so.

I understand that, but it's difficult to know how to reply to suggestions of 'general ignorance'. I took offense to that perhaps wrongly when someone else suggested the same thing about a discussion I was in a few pages back - it can be more constructive to say what you feel is ignorant so people can address those concerns.

I've raised the same point a few times. It would be like being in a debate class in school and instead of disagreeing with someone, simply saying 'some people in here are really ignorant'. Nobody knows who you're talking about or what opinions are ignorant.
  • Options
    i think listening to your body and expecting it to tell you what is good for it is a great idea in theory, but in the real world it doesnt work like that.

When I was dieting this was the crux of it and I don't think there is much evidence to the contrary. Humans are not good at controlling their own portions, simple as. I've never seen any evidence to the contrary.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    When I was saying trolling in the first few pages, I was referring to shikari and not yourself. Shikari was posting things which were there to incense and upset people and I reported his post, my angle was' don't feed the troll' not 'your opinion isn't welcome' and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Your opinions are completely welcome.

I didn't mean you in this instance. Another user came to the conclusion that I was the troll and not Shikari but that's quite a few pages back. I did feel discouraged to respond purely because I was 'offended' and people seemed to take offence that I was offended, if that makes sense. But thanks. I'm glad this thread has branched out into discussions.
  • Options
    This is a great thread. I obv don't agree with most of the opinions (nature of the beast), but it has not only livened up P&D, but dragged new posters into its murky depths.

P&D used to be so intimidating for a lot of people, then it died a death. So anything that gets more people thinking and debating is a good thing, IMO.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    This is a great thread. I obv don't agree with most of the opinions (nature of the beast), but it has not only livened up P&D, but dragged new posters into its murky depths.

P&D used to be so intimidating for a lot of people, then it died a death. So anything that gets more people thinking and debating is a good thing, IMO.

This is one of the reasons I held off registering on here for so long. I'm guessing I'm outside the target demographic, being 40 in 18 months (I always say I have 3 ages. How old I am, how old I feel and how old I act - none are ever within the same decade) so perhaps some of my views and opinions are possibly outdated a bit? Don't get me wrong, I'm not of the "Send 'em back to where they came from" brigade but there is a borderline-sinister undertone to a lot of attitudes on here which puts me off. Many of those posting in P&D have given off the vibe of "If you don't have a caring and sharing liberal attitude then you're a cnut". It's often like the only acceptable opinions are the popular and trendy ones. Yes this is a help site and if somebody posts a repugnant viewpoint then by all means they should be challenged but there is a difference between challenging and some of the offensive and attacking attitudes I've seen.

For the life of me I cannot find it now but there was once a thread about whether even the most trendy, Daily Mail-hating, limp-wristed liberal judges on appearances and the subject of chavs came up. One such lefty really overdid the "I simply don't judge ANYONE dahling" bit by claiming they had no idea what a chav was despite it being pointed out in different ways. And it wasn't in a "There are no chavs where I live" kind of way.

Anyway someone piped up that if your car broke down, you called the AA and they said they would send somebody out, you'd expect it to be a man. Personally I'd agree with that and I don't think that makes me a "gender stereotypist" or whatever they got called but he got verbally jumped for that.

Although the thread has indeed been a little heated at times (involving myself), this is now how I feel it should be and in fact, always should have been.
  • Options
    I didn't mean you in this instance. Another user came to the conclusion that I was the troll and not Shikari but that's quite a few pages back. I did feel discouraged to respond purely because I was 'offended' and people seemed to take offence that I was offended, if that makes sense. But thanks. I'm glad this thread has branched out into discussions.
    Sense of humour failure. Yours or mine I don't know.