Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running the marathon

Comments

• Options
    Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Bloody cyclists eh :) Seriously that is awful behaviour - and rare, I hope.

With the cold, what is it you find tough? Is it the cold air hitting your lungs? or the feeling of gradually losing feeling in your fingers and toes? Or just having to keep stopping to take off/put on layers?

I've got a buff (bit of fleece thing, like a snood) you pull up over your nose and that's really helping with the feeling of ice-cold daggers spiking my lungs. Also double-gloving and double-socking! And on occasion, double-hatting ...

I just noticed that Sweat Shop does a free running club with a five k and an 8 k each week, in most cities in the country. Details here: http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/SRCruns.cfm
    They seem to give away freebies too. Quite good ones. Must be a catch somewhere :)
    Joining a running club can help with getting up motivation, specially when it's frreeeeeezzzing.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Today I managed to slip in the shower and fall through a large glass shower screen. Thought it was just cuts but my knee and foot is actually really sore now. Hope it goes soon, could barely walk on it this evening.

Thinking negative thoughts now...
  • Options
    Today I managed to slip in the shower and fall through a large glass shower screen. Thought it was just cuts but my knee and foot is actually really sore now. Hope it goes soon, could barely walk on it this evening.

Thinking negative thoughts now...

ow. fook

hope youre alright\!!
  • Options
    Getting more sore. Thinking I'm going to have to withdraw, don't see how I can recover and train in time. Will think about it over the weekend
  • Options
    no one would blame you if you did. sounds horrible
  • Options
    Getting more sore. Thinking I'm going to have to withdraw, don't see how I can recover and train in time. Will think about it over the weekend
    I too am struggling with the training, and my knee which has ached/been painful for the past two weeks. I had the thought of 'can I continue and is it sensible to still try and do the marathon'. At the end of the day only you know the answer, but remember we aren't going for a specific time- just to finish. You may as well give it a go after all you may never get the chance again. At least that is the way I am looking at it.
  • Options
    TaniaPOTaniaPO Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi all,
    Thought I'd come along to say hi and to hopefully reassure you all a bit :)
    I've sent you all a couple of emails about the fundraising which I hope helped? Bottom line, please don't let the fundraising target worry you. We're here to help you as much as we can, like the Bistrotheque event, I'll also be sending round some more fundraising ideas soon.
    It sounds like a few of you have got some nasty injuries at the moment. Arctic Roll, that sounds awful I hope you're ok?
    Piccolo - It really sounds like you shouldn't be running, your leg could probably do with a lot of rest. We can hold a place for you for next year, running this year could make the problem worse.
    Purpledhaze, drop me a line if you want to chat more about your knee?
    Any worries at all feel free to get in touch,
    Tania
  • Options
    I am fine except it's far too cold and I'm too lazy :-) But feel confident I can make it round run/walking alternating. I won't be going at a fast pace Mr Arctic if you were worried about not being able to smash world records, feel free to join me in the slow (sub 6 hour) lane :-)

Still need to drum some money out of all the people who have promised to donate... That can be this week's task.
  • Options
    Just went for 10km non-stop. Rather pleased with that. Though I couldn't have gone much further! Other days I struggle going for five km. Guess that's one of those things.
  • Options
    I have withdrawn officially.

I hope I can do it next year, but right now walking more than 3 miles gives me massive pain and running is a struggle. Not that I can't do it eventually, but I can't do it in 13 weeks.

I'll be there, though, in my YouthNet top!
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    piccolo wrote: »

I hope I can do it next year, but right now walking more than 3 miles gives me massive pain and running is a struggle. Not that I can't do it eventually, but I can't do it in 13 weeks.

Sounds like it was a wise move to withdraw Picc especially if you are still having pains when walking. We will miss you in the race, but will be amazing to see you cheering everyone on instead. Hopefully next year you can take part.

ShyBoy, Hmmm7 and Purpled - how is training going?
  • Options
    Just had a proper look at the playlist :thumb: Summer of Love is genius Fiend! Takes me back a looooooong way.

Just added a song that really got me through a long run last weekend. Will keep adding as I find inspiring songs on my ipod that work :yes:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »

I know you're probably gutted to have to withdraw Picc, but I think it's definitely the right move for your poor leg! Hugs x
  • Options
    I listen to the workout playlist when I do 10k mini workout at the gym. Keep those songs coming
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I listen to the workout playlist when I do 10k mini workout at the gym. Keep those songs coming

Sounds like a challenge....I will start thinking of some more tuuuunes! :chin:
  • Options
    I'm adding a few - 'fraid they're not tried and tested until I budge this cold but feel free to delete ;)
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »

Not great :no:

I just read a very cheerful article on common causes of injuries and deaths in marathons, now I'm worried! Bad idea reading things like that :p

Good playlist though guys, added a few songs :)
  • Options
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    Not great :no:

I just read a very cheerful article on common causes of injuries and deaths in marathons, now I'm worried! Bad idea reading things like that :p

Good playlist though guys, added a few songs :)

Step away from scary articles like that :yes:

Hopefully the songs will help on your next run!
  • Options
    LauraO! Can you put a sticky to the playlist in health and wellbeing where the other one is? Is that permitted?
  • Options

So-so. I am just about keeping up with the length of the long runs I should be on at this point in time, however I am missing a few of the smaller, fatster sessions I am meant to be doing (according to Bupa). Went non-stop for an 1hour 20mins the other day, which was about 12 km. We'll see how it goes on the day! :)
  • Options
    So-so. I am just about keeping up with the length of the long runs I should be on at this point in time, however I am missing a few of the smaller, fatster sessions I am meant to be doing (according to Bupa). Went non-stop for an 1hour 20mins the other day, which was about 12 km. We'll see how it goes on the day! :)

Go you! :yippe:
  • Options
    Hmmm7 and myself are training together on the 5:30 plan and usually have plenty left in the tank. We were worried with the more ambitious plans about being put off or discouraged so went for one we felt comfortable achieving. Also Hmmm7 has asthma so it gives her a bit of breathing space (see what I did there? ;-))

I think on the day, maybe we'll do better than 5:30, who knows :-) we are taking the slow and steady approach.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hmmm7 and myself are training together on the 5:30 plan and usually have plenty left in the tank.
    :thumb:

Do you guys run/train together?
  • Options
    :thumb:

Do you guys run/train together?

Yea we do, it let's us kick each others ass when one of us can't be bothered. Works out nicely :-)
  • Options
    Sounds great - running with someone definitely helps, when I am running on my own I wish I had a running bud, although Fostress and I do a few runs together :thumb:

Fiend - I am asking 'the powers that be' (a.k.a Jo7 and **helen**) whether your suggestion about the playlist is allowed, will let you know :D
  • Options
    What's the cheapest run friendly mp3 player out there?
  • Options
    I really like my Philips GoGear Raga, but that's partly because I can listen to audiobooks on it (sometimes I like a change on the long runs).

I had more trouble finding run-friendly headphones (still not sure I have).
  • Options
    I have some Panasonic earphones which clip behind the ear, they're good for running and gymming generally. The rubber bit means they don't slip out when you get all sweaty too.
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360329880&sr=8-1

I have this, and its great once you change the EU settings for volume (its too quiet, but once you change the settings, its fine).
    The mp3 player is tiny and has a clip on the back so you can just clip it to your clothes

Plus its not apple.
  • Options
    That's looks about perfect thanks suzy. I wouldn't mind apple products but I don't know of any that cost less than a family of fours weekly grocery shop. 35 sounds like a decent price for what it's doing :-)