Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running the marathon

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about a TheSite running playlist?

I'd like that, I have my own playlist but it would be nice to get ideas ;)
  • Options
    Two miles tonight in 22 minutes.

Only need to worry about the other 25 now!
  • Options
    You'll be fine :)

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    We're all in a similar place it seems- we can all support each other on the day and the atmosphere should give a bit of a kick. I have heard that taking two paracetamol or ibuprofen at about mile 20 can help ease any aches enogh to make the last bit semi- bearable!
  • Options
    How about a TheSite running playlist?

I'd like that, I have my own playlist but it would be nice to get ideas ;)

It's live, --> [URL="spotify:user:1133196450:playlist:2cAT8VlrBmYdmKBBzmH3qm"]here[/URL]
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It's live, --> [URL="spotify:user:1133196450:playlist:2cAT8VlrBmYdmKBBzmH3qm"]here[/URL]

Yay for collaboration :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Yay for collaboration :thumb:

Except now we've got TWO of eye of the tiger!
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Not here to say anything useful, just wishing those whom are doing the Marathon, the best of luck! :heart:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Except now we've got TWO of eye of the tiger!

Let me just go fix that.
  • Options
    Surely that is acceptable, tigers do have two eyes after all. Unless he is constantly winking all the time or wears an eye patch.
  • Options
    If you like, everyone has to help fill it with stuff! I'll be listening at the gym.
  • Options
    People may object to some of my music taste....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

I'm not sure that's a problem. Everyones is different.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave:

Just wanted to make sure those of you who are within traveling distance to London know about the Run for It training day next Saturday (19th Jan). You should have all recieved an email about it, but if you haven't and want more deets PM me :thumb:

If you are going let me know as I'll be down there too!

Have a great weekend, it will be a chilly one for running but you'll feel great afterwards. What's everyone's running goals for the weekend?? Mine is 8miles eeek!

LauraO
  • Options
    Ps. :heart: the playlist.
  • Options

Yeah no worries!

Rather than listening to the whole playlist I'm pinching songs to add to my own running playlist ;)
  • Options
    I will inflict myself upon it later.
  • Options
    I told a colleague today that I was planning to run the marathon and he laughed and said yeah, right!
    starting to think he has a point, why did I even think I could? Seems impossible.
  • Options
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    I told a colleague today that I was planning to run the marathon and he laughed and said yeah, right!
    starting to think he has a point, why did I even think I could? Seems impossible.

Sure many people think that about me too Hmmm7 - I don't exactly look like a marathon runner, but even more reason to prove them wrong!!
  • Options
    hmmm7 wrote: »

It's totally possible :) we aren't going for WR, we're going for completion. Will be with you every step of the way. x

Also tell your colleague to put his money where his mouth is and conditionally sponsor you if he doesn't think you can do it :p
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    :wave:

Just wanted to make sure those of you who are within traveling distance to London know about the Run for It training day next Saturday (19th Jan). You should have all recieved an email about it, but if you haven't and want more deets PM me :thumb:

If you are going let me know as I'll be down there too!

Have a great weekend, it will be a chilly one for running but you'll feel great afterwards. What's everyone's running goals for the weekend?? Mine is 8miles eeek!

LauraO

I don't think I have the email :( Unless my spam filter got it...

My plan is to run. That would be a good start. I am ill. Again. Rubbish! (though hopefully not as bad as last time)

Edit: Nope, spam filter hasn't picked any emails from you guys up
  • Options
    No email here, but again just plugging with the running as often as I can at the minute :)
  • Options
    This is not going well anymore. Autumn last year, traing was going welland I was where I needed to be for my level. Winter, loose a few sessions (not too bad ) due to housing issues. Then loose a month due to illness (chest infection and tonsilitis). A week ago, behind where I wantex to be, but apparantly at about the right level for a beginners marathon. However, knee begain feeling wierd and stretched. Rested as much as possible the last week, with a few attepmpts at jogging to see how the knee is. Painful without a bandage. Put a cheap bandage on: just slips and accumulates behind the knee- painful. Bought a sports support yesterday with advice from the shop and just been for a jog to see what it is like and whilst it supports walking, it is a hinderance running as I can hardly bend my knee and it is still painful but in a different way to running without the support. I hobvled home after 9 minutes. I am finding it hard to see how I will ever do this. I can't even run a mile at the moment.
    And the maximum I have gone without stopping is 5.5 miles (an hour) so I need to be able to train. I don' t know what to do. I'm in tears at the moment because I want to run and I want to do this but everything seems a bit shit.
  • Options
    I think we are all at the same level, its really bad that your knee is still hurting :(. I think the best aim is to try to do -what you can- without injuring yourself or making your knee worse, and then see how you get on on Marathon day. We will all be there together and we can take walk breaks no problem.
  • Options
    I think we are all at the same level, its really bad that your knee is still hurting :(. I think the best aim is to try to do -what you can- without injuring yourself or making your knee worse, and then see how you get on on Marathon day. We will all be there together and we can take walk breaks no problem.

I just feels like my muscles have been overstretched but it's the fact that that was running short distances regularly that did it. I still have the worst to go (in terms of distance) and even if my knee gets better I am scared it'll go again. I shall soldier on though, but it's frustrating. Can't wait for this to be over!
  • Options
    :wave: again,

Just wanted to let you know that Tania is back and she has emailed all you runners with some info about running and fundraising, so check your inboxes for that :thumb: I have also PM'ed you all about the training day on Sat.

This weather is not too kind for runners and I've found it very slippy underfoot....so be careful out there.

LauraO
  • Options
    I've been inspired and entered the ballot for the great north run. Hoping I get a place. Keep up the good work guys, I know you can do it. Look forward to the end of the marathon, aching and all sorts, but thats where you can pay your self on the back and know you have done well and deserve to be proud of yourself!
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I've been inspired and entered the ballot for the great north run. Hoping I get a place

:thumb: when do you find out?
  • Options
    Hey all,

Thought I would get involved as I am running as well - I got my own place but am hoping to gather some funds for YouthNet by dressing up as Octi as I run (although I totally haven't made my costume at all yet!).

I've done the Brighton Marathon before and want to reassure people that it is totally doable. Here's me blog on it on YouthNet. There are loads of people of all levels there and the crowds and atmosphere really help too - it's a real buzz. And there's usually people handing out jelly babies and other things to keep you going. And if you have to run, walk, run, walk then that's fine!

I'm going to go along to this training day this weekend and use it as my motivation to get started with more regular training. I'm going to plan in my diary the runs I plan to do up to April on Sat eve - and then do what I can to stick to it :thumb:

It's worth looking up nutrition as well - as it's amazing how much difference eating well can do to your energy levels - lots of nuts and iron and things. And I took joint oil too (there's a vegetarian version of cod liver oil) which did actually help my knees. Need to get some of that again.

:)
  • Options
    Main problem I'm having is the cold. Any suggestions on beating the freezing frost? Because of my schedule I either need to run <7am or >8pm normally.

Also, true story, saw a cyclist take out a runner today. Cyclist wobbled on his bike, looked back at the runner on the floor, and cycled off. Runner seemed ok though and got up after :)