Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running the marathon

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Today we ran 7.4 miles in the freezing cold rain and wind - when we got in we stopped for 5 minutes and both started turning blue and shivering!! Was good though, did it in 1h36 which is pretty much bang on the training plan (and we had to miss Friday's run as Hmmm7 was on a train :razz:)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    LauraO! Can you put a sticky to the playlist in health and wellbeing where the other one is? Is that permitted?

All done! Have updated the playlist sticky to include both playlists :)
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/150371-Spotify-Playlists!
  • Options
    Running is still going well, though my big toe keeps blistering and peeling :-P very delicious stuff
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Running is still going well, though my big toe keeps blistering and peeling :-P very delicious stuff

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!!

I've come over all heterosexual...
  • Options
    One month and 21 days :eek2:

My knees are broken. Not literally, but they are ACHING SO BAD!
  • Options
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    One month and 21 days :eek2:

My knees are broken. Not literally, but they are ACHING SO BAD!

Just spoken to my world record holder friend, going to order you a foam roller. :-)
  • Options
    Tight ITB? A towel wrapped round a 2litre bottle filled with sand will do.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Tight ITB? A towel wrapped round a 2litre bottle filled with sand will do.

I don't even know what an ITB is but yes that is the same three letters he said. Lol.
  • Options
    ITB stands for iliotibial band. I had (have) the same problem, it runs from the anterior-lateral (Front-outside) part of your pelvis and attaches to the side of your patella (kneecap). Because it's just connective tissue it's problematic for tightness than muscle or tendon, so any tightening at all can cause problems by pulling the kneecap over. The foam rollers can be pricey, but what Hmmm7 will be doing is using it as a rolling pin to stretch it, so as I say, a 2 litre coke bottle filled with sand and wrapped in a towel will do the trick as well. At least, that's what my physio told me.

Comme Ca
    itb-foam-roller.jpg
  • Options
    Lacking sand water should work shouldn't it since it's incompressible?

My friend just recommended a wine bottle which could be exciting if it breaks :-P
  • Options
    Water will do as well, just more likely to leak out the top. I bloody wouldn't use a wine bottle.
  • Options
    Sounds like that may be it, it's sort of a tight feeling on the outside of both knees when I run, especially long distances. I'll give anything a go! (Except the wine bottle, I'd like to keep my legs in one piece :p )
  • Options
    ITB issues are VERY common with runners.
    In this very sexy picture, the depression that runs up the side of the leg between the large quad at the front and the hamstrings at the back is the ITB.

hips250x308.jpg
  • Options
    fuckd ma foot up

:(

Basically can't train and can't comfortably walk on my left foot. ATM I'm compensating by turning my foot inwards so walking on the inside and avoiding putting any pressure whatsoever on the outside. Alternately sometimes I do a peg leg manouvre and use my heel exclusively and not using my toes / rest of my foot at all lol.

It was actually fine whilst running, and was only after I took my shoe off and put my shoe on the hard kitchen floor whilst stretching that I felt a hard, sharp bolt of pain on the outside edge of my left foot.

Hoping after a couple of days rest it will heal up, long run is on Sunday.
  • Options
    Have you checked it out with a doctor? Soft tissue damage can be very long-term serious someone should look at it.
  • Options
    No I haven't, but have rested it up and it doesn't hurt anymore :-)

May need to withdraw though as because of the rest, I may not be fit enough to take part. Will have to see how I get on this week.