Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it appropriate for schools to have CCTV or similar in toilets and changing rooms?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We had this debate a few years back when I was still at school, though it was only about the sink area of the toilets. We had a few incidents of vandalism and arson attempts that happened in the toilets. 2 years before I started a kid started a fire in the loos that burnt down half the school, and someone else tried to do it again while I was there. So the school proposed cctv cameras in the sink areas of the toilets but most pupils were against it, as pupils would be. I think cameras on the outside to at least monitor who goes in and out and at what times is a good idea though.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Many kids have good reason to bring them. How else are they meant to contact their parents if they're going to be late home?

Use the office phone, use a phone box, or as we keep repeatedly telling them, put the bloody thing in a locker, which they all have.....
  • Options
    My school didn't have lockers- and it still doesn't ten years later- though valuables (e.g. wallets) could be locked in the PE office.

CCTV generally is used too often as a cheap alternative to looking after things properly. Speed cameras have replaced traffic cops, suburban CCTV has replaced coppers on the beat, CCTV in schools has replaced teachers and playground staff and CCTV in shops has replaced fitting room attendants. The simple truth is that CCTV doesn't prevent crime, people do.

And from my time working at a major national supermarket, I can safely say that much of the time the CCTV cameras were being pointed down the tops of pretty girls rather than anything more constructive...
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Use the office phone, use a phone box, or as we keep repeatedly telling them, put the bloody thing in a locker, which they all have.....

My school didn't have lockers and I don't think they do now. There's very few phones boxes now.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    My school didn't have lockers and I don't think they do now. There's very few phones boxes now.

Has the school office phone dissapeared too? I never had a mobile at school. Never had a problem.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Has the school office phone dissapeared too? I never had a mobile at school. Never had a problem.

What if you don't know the number you need to ring in an emergency off by heart? If I had to ring, for example, my stepdad during school hours, I'd not have the slightest clue what his mobile number was. Or my mum's. And when I was at school I didn't know her work number either.

That said, if a kid gets their mobile stolen from the changing rooms, it's their responsibility since they chose not to follow the rule that you're supposed to hand them to the office in the morning.
  • Options
    I never had these problems. My dad's work number was a matter of school record, it was part of the emergency contact details file.

And like you said, if your phone gets robbed, you're still stuffed. I still don't see any reason for children to take mobile phones to school. All my classmates ever did was play snake and text I doubt anythings really changed. Let's face it I'm just killing the last 5 mins of work on mine...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I know I teach primary and not secondary but my school have 3 different emergency numbers on file for each child as well as the doctors surgery where the child is registered. I have never ever known a real life situation where this hasn't be enough for any emergency situation. Mobile phones in schools are just asking for trouble.
  • Options
    What if you don't know the number you need to ring in an emergency off by heart? If I had to ring, for example, my stepdad during school hours, I'd not have the slightest clue what his mobile number was. Or my mum's. And when I was at school I didn't know her work number either.

How do you think that we coped before the invention of the mobile phone?
  • Options
    All I can say is that having CCTV covering the entrances and communal areas to the toilets and changing rooms has helped me solve a large number of crimes and incidents that would never have been solved, ranging from arson and theft to a robbery. As for the whole phone saga, kids are bringing in top of the range phones that are worth £300-500 quid and then leaving them unattended in changing rooms and on the school fields, then wondering why they're going missing.

If being able to make an emergency call is THAT important then parents should be giving them a cheap PHONE that doesnt have all the bells and whistles. A phone that only makes calls and sends texts and has a black and white screen. And yes, they are still available because I've got one I use for work.

Phones in schools are a nightmare anyway, if they're not being stolen they're being used to disrupt classes, or to bully people. I had an incident a few months ago of some girls using their mobile to film people using the loo.....
  • Options
    Why the hell were they doing that?
  • Options
    Film people on the toilet that is...
  • Options
    Film people on the toilet that is...

Why do people do anything? Because they were nasty bullies. One of their parents didnt even see the problem until I threatened to come round and seize her computer and have her nicked on suspicion of making indecent images.
    And these were 13 year old girls so god knows what they'll be like when they're older
  • Options
    So, the parent didn't see the problem with her daughter filming people on the toilet? Or the parent just wouldn't, or couldn't realise what her daughter was doing? Like, it's probably the parents fault she's a little weirdo if the parents think that it's perfectly normal. I'd hate to visit that family's house lol.
  • Options
    Yeah, for some reason the internet spazzed and posted my half written reply...I don't know how to delete these things and so i've just edited it to this.
  • Options
    I agree that it's good to use CCTV in communual areas on the premise of using them to root out problems, but i do think it'd be better to have attendants etc. Like there isn't really any reason not to have them there, and they do help to root out problems, but there are a lot of things that could happen in which it'd be better to have some member of staff there to stop it. On the whole i hate CCTV, i hate being watched and the book 1984 scares the shit out of me. But if you have an area in a city, or a school, in which crime is rampant, then watching that area would prove useful in finding out what the problem is.

I don't think that CCTV should be put anywhere unless it has a very good reason, but i think that communual areas in toilets etc. are good ideas, being a victim of bullying. I also think that it's better for the kids to decide whether to bring phones into schools, but also appreciate the greif it probably brings to you and to your line of work. If you have kids that won't listen to you, the best thing to do is to let them learn i.e. A kid ignoring his mum and learning not to touch the hot stove, by touching it.

I do realise that being in a position of authority, parents probably blame you and teachers for what's happened and not their stupid little brat. To that end, i think it'd be a good idea for parents to be reminded every parents evening that it's their kids fault if they lose their phone, and that it's not the faults of the people that advised them against. I agree with you on the using an old phone for just using calls thing, i don't know if you have, but maybe when you have talks with parents etc. you should suggest that. Maybe whenever police do those talks it should be custom for them to give advice like that. Then again, if somebody's stupid enough to ignore all of this advice, to not be careful with their expensive belongings and to then have the gaul to complain about it, then i wouldn't be in the slightest sympathetic. If anything, i'd find it fitting.
  • Options
    So, the parent didn't see the problem with her daughter filming people on the toilet? Or the parent just wouldn't, or couldn't realise what her daughter was doing? Like, it's probably the parents fault she's a little weirdo if the parents think that it's perfectly normal. I'd hate to visit that family's house lol.

A bit of both. A lot of parents think the sun shines out of their offspring's arse, that they can do no wrong, and if for some reason they do, then it must be the fault of the school or the police for "failing" them.
  • Options
    On the whole i hate CCTV, i hate being watched and the book 1984 scares the shit out of me.

Chances are, you aren't actually watched. Recorded, definitely. Watched/monitored? No, not unless you're walking through a city centre. And even then, the person being watched is the person who is pissing in the street or in the middle of mugging someone.
  • Options
    What i mean by that is that the benevolent want for public safety etc. can so easily be used as a justification for us being turned into a police state. You're a policeman, you probably joined up for the want to protect people, or you probably at least take pride in the fact that, that is what you're working towards. I sympathise with that and i accept that the majority of police officers could be good people just doing their job. But at the same time, i realise that you are all only people.

Just like people in the government are only people, and could so easily be driven to use their power and influence for selfish reasons. It'd be so easy for them to misuse you and your collegues to screw the people you're protecting over. If the government were to start making policies and passing laws that don't benefit the people they're governing, that reduce our life quality and make us live shit slave-like lives that are dwarfed by the great and happy, comfortable lives of the ruling class, then at least we'd have the ability to voice our concern.The ability to protest and maybe if the need finally arose, take to the streets and have a revolution or something.

A politician could have CCTV put everywhere, could enforce strict and rediculous punishment for petty crime, and could continue to eat away at our rights and freedoms and leave us nothing to do about it. The more they tighten their grip with constant monitoring etc. the more ground we'd lose. I realise that that's quite an extreme example, but i used it pretty much as a worse case scenario i.e. That's what has happened in the book 1984. Most people don't have any will power when they're being ordered to do things by authority, psychological tests have shown that people tend to obey such authority figures, even if what they're being made to do. I can't remember what it was called, but i remember learning about a test that was held by participants, in which they'd all be asked to press this button. There would be a man with a sheet or something over his head sitting in a chair, that would act and pretend to be being shocked when they press the button. I think they found out that the majority of people, because they were being told, would end up killing the man or something. I don't have the energy now, but if you still want to i'd be happy to look it up for you and give you the test results in detail.

The point is that if the government did those things, a majority of people, police or not, would just obey. Society would fall into a 1984 like situation. That's why i think that things like watching us etc. should be done only on the grounds of justification and the need to do it. Any proposals at doing such things should be met with harsh skepticism and critical thinking. I know that taking away things like that could possibly make your job harder than it is, which is a very bad thing. But please try to understand that there's a possibility that the things i've been talking about could easily happen and it's the only way to make sure the people you're working so hard every day to protect, don't get horribly fucked over by politicians.

Like the unanimous vote in the house of the lords that has severely affected the way the NHS works. A unanimous vote in which the majority of people (polls have shown) oppose, that the majority of doctors, surgeons and nurses oppose and have advised against, but is still in effect. The reason, it could be argued, is that it's been shown that the majority of them have ties with, or are directors of private healthcare firms. Either that, or they just make stupid decisions that ruin things for everyone on impulse, or maybe even out of stupidity. A good debate might be whether a stupid politician, or a corrupt one (i.e. a hell of a lot of them) are more dangerous to society.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    As another note, the only place in schools we now tend to get any real crime is in the school changing rooms. Phones going missing e.t.c. because despite us telling them not to bring them in, not to leave them unattended, kids know best ;)

Well the obvious solution would be to have lockers in the changing rooms like at the swimming pool. But I guess that would be too complicated.
  • Options
    Well the obvious solution would be to have lockers in the changing rooms like at the swimming pool. But I guess that would be too complicated.

Most of them provide lockers....the kids don't use them for some reason.