Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fake v Fair

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're not giving your opinons though, you're just being harsh. You obviously don't agree with her, fine. End of.
  • Options
    ~
  • Options
    I think we're in danger of going all P&D, but the meta argument is more interesting than the original article.
    Isn't the point here that whilst it is fair to state your own opinion, it is a bit unfair to judge her as a person for holding an opinion different to yours?

How else should I judge her? As a jar of jam? There does seem to be a notion currently doing the rounds - or at least one that I'm noticing more - that to be judged is to be wronged in some sense. And now you seem to be telling me it's unfair to judge her for her opinions, which is ludicrous as I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I should be judging her on; it's what I'd want to be judged on - that and my actions. This concept of standing outside judgement smacks of the "that offends me" get out.
    Just because she thinks something different - doesn't mean she is stupid or whatever and she doesn't really deserve some of the mean comments.

I agree. Just because she holds differing opinions doesn't mean she's stupid - but that's only a platitude.
    Strong opinions and also harsh criticism of her work should be acceptable, but not just plain bitchyness targeted at her.

Strong criticism in this case I think is fair. The voracity of the mean comments, however, probably was excessive.
    She may have meant the Michael Jackson thing in a different way, even if it wasn't necessarily appropriate, I doubt she meant it to be offensive.

Misinterpretation is a weak refuge, particularly in this case. And you don't have to mean it to be offensive for it to offend.
    To be honest this is what puts me off writing rants, or discussing things at depth in P&D. I'm well aware that I don't know everything, and there will always be someone that knows more about something than me.... but I'm worried that as soon as I say something that is just a little bit wrong, or something that can be interpreted in the wrong way people will jump on me personally for it. And this is kind of what has happened here.....

Writing a rant is a pinning of your colours to the mast, and if you're passing judgement on other people then you should be prepared for shots in return. As an "aspiring broadcast journalist" I'd be surprised if Hannah was naive enough to believe otherwise. Hannah wrote and had an article published that was an explicit criticism of people's choices, and while the response was disproportionate, largely because it was in the context of TheSite, I don't think it was surprising. If you think the status quo when it comes to debate on TS is broken, then make the difference. But I can't imagine ever accepting that everyone's views and opinions are equally valid and should be treated like special little flowers.
  • Options
    This thread was about what you think of fake tan, not about what you think of someones opinion on it.
  • Options
    Not exactly. You can use an article to start a discussion, but when you post a link to an article and ask others what they think, you're definitely asking people what they think about the opinions in the article.
  • Options
    Right, so you say I agree/disagree with hannah and explain why. She has her own opinions and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Right, so you say I agree/disagree with hannah and explain why. She has her own opinions and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes. And people did that.
  • Options
    Yes. And people did that.

Hardly.
  • Options
    Hardly.

As far as I can tell, the only person who made personal attacks on her was drunk!katralla. For the most part it's been criticising her writing.
  • Options
    Right.
  • Options
    Right.

Yep. I just read back through the whole thread and it's been criticism of the article (which really is bollocks), not of her as a person.
  • Options
    But maybe that's because **helen** edited the comments. I'm done posting on this, Can't be bothered.
  • Options
    But maybe that's because **helen** edited the comments. I'm done posting on this, Can't be bothered.

Again: aside from drunk!katralla. I can see perfectly well which comments Helen edited. Since then nobody has posted anything personal against the girl.
  • Options
    It's a rant, its not a well thought out balanced arguement, it's an irrational rant. That's usually a feature of rants by anyone, so you can pretty much guarentee that they are not going to be well written and they aren't going to be based on much reasoned argument.

I think people who go in for the tango look look pretty daft. To me orange really isn't an attractive colour. That said, it's much better than using sun beds. Using fake tan is in my eyes basically the same as wearing make up, it's using something to change your natural appearance into something else you want to be because it looks better. I've got no critcism of people who want to do that, it's a similar logic to wearing nice clothes, styling your hair etc. The only thing that saddens me is when people feel that they have to do it to fit in, or that they can't leave the house without an inch thick cake of make up on their face, their hair extensions in, and this weeks top up of the tango'd skin.

I'm the first one to put my suit dress on, gel my hair, and find my make up when I've got a big day at work, or one I'm not feeling confident about, but equally I'm often happy with just being me. I feel sad for the people who can't do that.
  • Options
    I dunno. I don't begrudge anyone that can go to all that effort to put fake tan on. I've tried it a few times, but I pretty much concluded that it's way too much effort for me, especially since it doesn't really do much except make my knees orange :o.

It is also absolutely the same as makeup. You put on makeup to hide perceived flaws. You put on fake tan to hide a perceived flaw. OH LOOK.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Again: aside from drunk!katralla. I can see perfectly well which comments Helen edited. Since then nobody has posted anything personal against the girl.

I'm sorry to say they have and I've deleted those comments this morning.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say they have and I've deleted those comments this morning.

Oh. Well, I didn't see that. People are douchecanoes :/
  • Options
    to be honest Helen, if youre just going to delete what I say and what katralla says to fit in with your fantasy of what this site should be like, which is absolutely nothing like what this site IS actually like, and what has actually kept these boards going for so long then im even less interested than i have been lately.~ Just one more nail in the coffin of thesite.org message boards
  • Options
    to be honest Helen, if youre just going to delete what I say and what katralla says to fit in with your fantasy of what this site should be like, which is absolutely nothing like what this site IS actually like, and what has actually kept these boards going for so long then im even less interested than i have been lately.~ Just one more nail in the coffin of thesite.org message boards

Wow, uncalled for. I saw what you put about Hannah, and I totally understand why Helen deleted it. Jeez.
  • Options
    dont be pathetic
  • Options
    Me, really? How old are you now..
    Why don't you just stop posting.
  • Options
    good plan
  • Options
    It's a rant, its not a well thought out balanced arguement, it's an irrational rant. That's usually a feature of rants by anyone, so you can pretty much guarentee that they are not going to be well written and they aren't going to be based on much reasoned argument.

It should be a prerequisite that anyone writing rants should be drunk when they do it. :D

But writing a good rant is an art form (see Charlie Brooker). Given how many nerves she touched, I'd say she didn't do too badly. She should wear any personal attacks she got as a badge of honour.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

But writing a good rant is an art form (see Charlie Brooker). Given how many nerves she touched, I'd say she didn't do too badly. She should wear any personal attacks she got as a badge of honour.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Me, really? How old are you now..
    Why don't you just stop posting.

Oh give over.

If you're going to write a polemic piece you can't go running off to mummy when people call you up on it. Part of being controversial is that people are going to be nasty about what you write and, by extension, who you are as a person. It's not sporting to be polemic and then say you're just a little girl trying to make your own way in the world. You're one or the other and with polemics come consequences.

Hell, I should know.
  • Options
    Jesus, whatever.
  • Options
    Jesus, whatever.

A strong rebuttal well executed.
  • Options
    Jesus, whatever.

You told me :thumb:
  • Options
    Honestly, you people aren't as friendly as I thought.
  • Options
    I'm perfectly friendly; far more friendly than someone who tells a long-standing member to stop posting, to choose a completely random example. Get down off that horse, you'll get vertigo.

Point is one cannot write polemics and then run off in floods of tears to mummy when someone calls one a nasty name for it. Write the controversy and one has to suck up the controversial replies.