Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lies you told your kids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This might seem really childish to some people, but I can't be the only one that's told a porky to a child? most of the time, my brothers know I'm lying because whatever I'm saying is deliberately outrageous, and we have a good giggle about it. But every now and then, a real corker slips through their radar and I'm feeling a bit too mischievous to tell them.

We (I say we, I don't know who actually came up with it. Wasn't me, but I'm not exactly giving it away either) told my youngest brother that the reason the tooth fairy forgot to leave some money under his pillow for two (TWO!) nights in a row was because the earthquake in Japan shook a lot of people's teeth out and she was busy :blush::blush: I'm actually shocked Mum's letting this one continue.

I also managed to convince him that my passionfruit halves (with all the goodness scooped out and eaten) was a geode, and he was rather panicked when Mum threw it away.

A friend of mine was convinced by her older sisters that if you put some ham in the VCR it would play a short film about pigs.

Comments

• Options
    hahaha at all of them :D especially ham. i did giggle a little at the teeth one too.

not parental deception but my cousin's boyfriend told her anchovies were made out of fruit and for years she believed him.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    A friend of mine was convinced by her older sisters that if you put some ham in the VCR it would play a short film about pigs.

I have physically LOL'd. Thanks :)

Dunno if they were lies or things i/my friends thought, but from when i was a kid -

The TV broke because all the dead people piled up in the back and the TV man had to come and clean them out

The proverbial eat a seed of something and said seed will grow into the tree of said something.

If you unscrew your belly button, your bum will fall off.

People who died in films etc on TV were actually criminals who were sentenced to death for their crimes, so they put them in a film and killed them so they didn't have to kill actors. :)
  • Options
    that if she didnt come now i was going to leave her behind and the monsters would get her :o

The sort of thing i swore id never say
  • Options
    My parents never did this; but did anyones' parents tell them that the ice cream man plays the tune when s/he's run out of ice cream?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    My parents never did this; but did anyones' parents tell them that the ice cream man plays the tune when s/he's run out of ice cream?

I heard that one! Not as a child, fortunately. It's pure evil genius.
  • Options
    Oh god my parents told me hundreds of stories, my dad still does!!

The classic: elephants nest in trees. How do we know this? Well why else do they have long trunks, so they can swing about and hang onto branches

My brothers also told me that tomato seeds were actually spiders eggs. Didnt stop me eating them though!
  • Options
    I was once told that a serial killer murders cornflakes...
  • Options
    Daddy loves you.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    If you unscrew your belly button, your bum will fall off.
    I've heard that one too, I never believed it though.

Once when I was little we went to a restaurant with a fountain and there were frogs. I wanted to sit next to it but my mum didn't, and my big brother said the following to me:

If a frog jumps on your shoulder and kisses you, you'll get sick.

I believed it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Daddy loves you.

awwwwww :(
  • Options
    Na, I tell her that he doesn't, it was just a joke.
  • Options
    I spoilt a suberb bit of parenting the other day.

If you eat too much pure sugar, e.g. sugar cubes, you'll get worms.

Bless him, he was 18 and still genuinely believed it, even felt the need to tell the rest of us out of concern for our welfare. Took a lot of persuasion it was rubbish.
  • Options
    it wont give you worms, but it provides more of an enticing environment for them to stay.
    Kids who eat too much sugar are more likely to keep getting worms, or find them harder to get rid of
  • Options
    No, this was definitely, eat sugar lumps, get worms.

Made the rest of us giggle, a lot, when we eventually persuaded him otherwise.
  • Options

cue ruined vcr and grounded kid.
  • Options
    Not the fault of my parents, but...

I was convinced up until a few years ago that I used to be able to fly when I was little. Like, not properly fly, but be able to basically levitate.

Part of me wonders why it took me so long to realise that I just had very, very vivid dreams :o.
  • Options
    Lies you told your kids

Little Billy, Daddy will always love you.
  • Options
    I spoilt a suberb bit of parenting the other day.

If you eat too much pure sugar, e.g. sugar cubes, you'll get worms.

Bless him, he was 18 and still genuinely believed it, even felt the need to tell the rest of us out of concern for our welfare. Took a lot of persuasion it was rubbish.
    You're bringing up a good point.

People tell silly lies to kids and think it's funny and/or that it makes their parenting job easier, however it does happen that when they grow up they might still not have understood that some of them were lies.
  • Options
    I used to get told eating crusts (on bread) would make my hair curly. I still ate them anyway but always waited for the day I would wake up it super curly hair.... it never appeared.
  • Options
    My dad used to tell me raisins were dead flies with the wings pulled off. I still hate them to this day.
  • Options
    someone said if you stamp on a cockroach & kill it it will make 100s of more cockroaches from the eggs inside of it ... the worst thing is 18 year olds were believing this though i dono how it would be possible to stamp on something and kill it but the eggs inside it would live...
  • Options
    playdead wrote: »
    someone said if you stamp on a cockroach & kill it it will make 100s of more cockroaches from the eggs inside of it ... the worst thing is 18 year olds were believing this though i dono how it would be possible to stamp on something and kill it but the eggs inside it would live...
    Even if that was true, the eggs would grow anyway if you didn't kill the cockroach.
  • Options
    i was always told that bogies are bits of your brain falling out through ur nose and if u pick it you will loose something important you have learned.
  • Options
    My nephew's allergic to nuts, and whenever I've got some chocolate and he asks if he can have a bit I tell him it's got nuts in so I don't have to share it.
  • Options
    A lot of these are common, we've probably all heard them at some point.

Not cleaning your ears will grow potatoes.
    Swallowing gum will stay in your stomach - was even told it would wrap around your heard and give you a heart attack.
    Drinking coffee when I was young would stunt my growth.
    Eyes will go sqaure if you sit close to a TV.
    Carrots will improve your eyesight/help you see in the dark.
    Touching toads = warts.
    You'll die if you get into a pool if you've eaten in the past hour or something. I was actually told this as a kid, I wasn't taking any risks lol.
    The wind will freeze your face if you pull stupid expressions.
    If you keep playing with it, it'll fall off. I was never told this one personally, but my auntie did tell my cousin because he was curious what it was as a toddler.
  • Options
    I think with the pool one it is very much over reacting in regards to an hour, but there is an element of truth in it.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Carrots will improve your eyesight/help you see in the dark.

Which is true. Carrots are a good source of Vitamin A, essential for good eyesight. Amongst other things, a difficiency in vitamin A causes the condition night blindness.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    My nephew's allergic to nuts, and whenever I've got some chocolate and he asks if he can have a bit I tell him it's got nuts in so I don't have to share it.
    Kaff you meanie! :eek:
  • Options
    Picking dandelions will make you wet the bed.
  • Options
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    Picking dandelions will make you wet the bed.

picking them wont, but if you eat them, its a strong diuretic