Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Walking on egg shells - the long threads

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Evenstar wrote: »
    No, I've reported maybe two posts that have really got me quite upset, and explained this. And if I was on my own with this I'd shut the fuck up or leave. But I'm not. To whatever degree I am definitely not the only person that gets upset by this. So why does noone care?

*hug* I care.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Evenstar wrote: »
    No, I've reported maybe two posts that have really got me quite upset, and explained this. And if I was on my own with this I'd shut the fuck up or leave. But I'm not. To whatever degree I am definitely not the only person that gets upset by this. So why does noone care?

When did you last report - this weekend? I haven't seen anything... PM is definitely the best way. *hug*
  • Options
    People should be allowed to post what they like, as long as it breaks none of the rules. I expect fully that some posts in the ranty thread/hug thread etc. might be upsetting, because they are not not a "light hearted thread"
    If every single post someone found triggering was deleted, it would defeat the object of the board.

Exactly. There are some things that are obviously are triggering and I personally made sure that I posted my rant in the thread in H&W. (because my rant was that it triggered me and there was no warning - it was to do with a film / book)
    Why don't you just add the user to your ignore list? That way, you can see the posts you want to (maybe in another thread) but the ones in the rant thread can be hidden.

I was tempted to do this. However, the it was only these posts that I had a problem - nothing else actually wrong with the poster or anything else they posted.
    On the other hand, if potentially triggering posts were made in a jokey thread, they would be out of place. If people want to post about that kind of thing, then might be best posting it in a suitable place, I'm not saying people are not allowed to post what they want, but surely their venting / question for help if its a serious matter, would be better placed than in one of the "jokey" threads.

Do you really expect everyone to know that subject x (whatever x may be) will trigger someone?
  • Options
    Depression and self-harm seems to be ubiquitous here at the moment. It's in H&W, Anything Goes, Food & Drink, Entertainment, and Creative is almost exclusively populated by poems about self-harm and depression. If you're "triggered", then visiting TheSite at all is probably a bad idea.
  • Options
    Depression and self-harm seems to be ubiquitous here at the moment. It's in H&W, Anything Goes, Food & Drink, Entertainment, and Creative is almost exclusively populated by poems about self-harm and depression. If you're "triggered", then visiting TheSite at all is probably a bad idea.

did we have this problem when the d&sh thread was stickied? i fully understand why the decision was made to unsticky it, but G makes a valid point about how it is appearing in all the sections. I always thought that the rant thread was for things that have pissed you off a bit and for having a moan about odd things - i can understand how it might upset people to come onto it and see some dark stuff.

thinking about it, is anything goes really anything goes anymore? there is plenty that gets moved from there to other places, maybe that is where we need to think about renaming??
  • Options
    did we have this problem when the d&sh thread was stickied?

I don't think we did. Although I personally thought that Franki's thread and d&sh basically serve the same purpose - to have a rant. Whereas, people started their own thread if they wanted advise.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I don't think we did. Although I personally thought that Franki's thread and d&sh basically serve the same purpose - to have a rant. Whereas, people started their own thread if they wanted advise.
    My thread was supposed to serve more of the same purpose as the ranty thread, without those people who would be triggered by such content having to read it where it wouldn't be expected. D&SH I think is a bit more of a place where you would want to get some advice on something small without having to write your own thread about it.
  • Options
    see i guess it also depends on how you interpret the word rant individually - to me a rant is for something that is annoying or unfair rather than deeply sad or emotional. So in the rant thread in AG i would expect to see thinks like "my car won't start" or "ive dropped my dinner on the cat", "my boss is being a nightmare today" or "i've lost a shoe" type things.

If it is something really sad or emotional and you are looking for support or simply just want to write it i would think it would go in the "i need a hug thread" whether it covers SH feelings or not.
  • Options
    see i guess it also depends on how you interpret the word rant individually - to me a rant is for something that is annoying or unfair rather than deeply sad or emotional. So in the rant thread in AG i would expect to see thinks like "my car won't start" or "ive dropped my dinner on the cat", "my boss is being a nightmare today" or "i've lost a shoe" type things.

If it is something really sad or emotional and you are looking for support or simply just want to write it i would think it would go in the "i need a hug thread" whether it covers SH feelings or not.
    frankipanda likes this :thumb:
  • Options
    I like it too :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Agreed.

I've associated the word "rant" with a big load of text or speech about something that's annoyed someone, which the reply "Dude... Chill!" would fit afterwards.
  • Options

This makes sense. I guess many tend not to think about this stuff when they do write things like that.