Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Walking on egg shells - the long threads

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think by having a thread with "will inevitably be triggering" could be a dangerous move, opening it up to more of that sort of thing.

:yes:

the reason i am concerned about the new health and wellbeing thread is that i think it has huge potential to become competitive and dangerous. that's not to say that people shouldn't talk about self-harm or eating disorders or anything else, of course that's ok. but i think people need to make their own thread for support.
  • Options
    Back on to the actual topic... I think it is important for people to have a place to say the things they have been saying in the ranty thread, so is another thread the answer? Or maybe ongoing individual threads in H&W? :chin:

-Edit - I don't disagree with you guys, I guess my definition of triggering is different.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    :yes:

the reason i am concerned about the new health and wellbeing thread is that i think it has huge potential to become competitive and dangerous. that's not to say that people shouldn't talk about self-harm or eating disorders or anything else, of course that's ok. but i think people need to make their own thread for support.
    I'm tempted to edit my original post in that thread when I am not so brainfuzzy to make the same point as is in the food thread - competitive behaviour is not on and posts of that nature will be removed (if Helen/mods agree, obv).

YSH - the problem with individual threads on H&W is that if there are several threads on the same subject, often people won't bother responding to all of them and so sometimes (not often) the threads can get lost and then ignored. Having one or two 'dedicated' threads that are active and supportive means that people are less likely to be ignored, and if they read through the thread they may find their answer in response to someone else.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    The facility to help people with potentially triggering problems shouldn't be removed entirely, because on balance that will do just as much harm as banning it. Users should just have much more choice in reading them.

:yes: People do need a place to rant.
  • Options
    Having one or two 'dedicated' threads that are active and supportive means that people are less likely to be ignored, and if they read through the thread they may find their answer in response to someone else.

What about a "Had a bad day - need a hug?" style thread in H&W that someone mentioned further up. Just gets rid of the whole "this is here for you to post something triggering which you can't post in AG" thing.
  • Options
    I just want to ask... is it not okay for me to post when I need help any more etc.? And if it is... where do you all want me to post?
    I don't like starting my own thread because my problems are a bit pathetic, but I still need the help. So what do I do if I can't post in the ranty thread?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going to edit the post to say something similar. Thing is, the thread *does* need a trigger warning, just in case.
  • Options
    Some people can be triggered by the words, 'I self-harmed today', or 'I've been really stupid' if they know the context.

It's not that black and white.

Yeah, if I'm feeling like it and I find out someone else has done it, it makes me want to more.

Frankly, the fairly banal content of this thread would be triggering if I were so minded. It depends on person and mindset.

But, regarding the point of the thread, I actually do agree with Scary Monster. I've almost certainly been guilty of posting things in inappropriate threads and it's partly because the pattern has been established that those things are said in those threads and then it gets very difficult to break without having precisely this conversation.
  • Options
    I just want to ask... is it not okay for me to post when I need help any more etc.? And if it is... where do you all want me to post?
    I don't like starting my own thread because my problems are a bit pathetic, but I still need the help. So what do I do if I can't post in the ranty thread?

I would use the Depression and S-H thread.

Or I sometimes start my own thread and then use it for a week or two if there is something specific I want to talk or ask about.
  • Options

Would it be worth starting your own thread in H&W? Your problems aren't pathetic - they're just as valid as anyone elses.
  • Options
    Ah I just wont post it doesn't matter, I feel really bad for triggering people.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Would it be worth starting your own thread in H&W? .

i think you should BA, then you can update it as and when you want without feeling that you need to start a new thread each time. no one thinks your problems aren't important.
  • Options
    Ah I just wont post it doesn't matter, I feel really bad for triggering people.
    Don't be daft. As long as you stick a warning on it people being triggered is not your responsibility. Post if you need to :heart:.
  • Options
    Well I hope this has been vaguely constructive, and that it's not made anyone feel that they can't post on the boards about their problems, just maybe on a thread under another title.

Cheers Franki!

xx
  • Options
    I'm very open and honest about the problems I've had, both with this username and my old one. I understand what it's like to SH and what it's like to be suicidal, far more than a lot of people (and that's not said in a competitive way either, because it sure as hell isn't a competition).

But I completely agree with Scary Monster, I don't think it is appropriate to be raising issues about mental ill-health, self-harm, suicide and the like in an anything goes thread that is more jokey than anything else. Anything goes and the waste time boards are for light-hearted stuff and I think questions and statements about SH would be better off in a specific thread.

It is a tough one because I don't think for one second that mental ill health should be hidden away- my scars are as much a part of me as my swearing and my sense of humour- but I think people should have the choice about whether they read it. When I'm in a bad place I'll add to my own thread in health but I won't read other people's threads about SH and EDs because it will tempt me, and I don't want to be tempted. I want to read about shite quizzes and giggle at someone who dropped their spag bol all over the cat and wait for the bad feelings to pass.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote: »

it's partly because the pattern has been established that those things are said in those threads and then it gets very difficult to break without having precisely this conversation.

:yes: a really good conversation to have.
  • Options
    I agree with AR. Anything Goes is more for light-hearted stuff.
  • Options
    I think that people need to be concious of the overal tone of a thread and respect it. If there are jokey threads about stuff, then coming in with a serious post is really off-topic for that thread and doesn't belong there. There's other, more suitable, places for such things and I don't think that it devalues peoples experiences to have just a few places where people can just be lighthearted without having to worry about who they might upset.
  • Options
    What we decided here really isn't being respected (or enforced) and it's really ticking me off.

On contemplation (a bit of a paddy):
    We keep tiptoeing around these hypothetical people that this kind of stuff triggers. So fine, I'll say it - it triggers me. I have depression which is flaring up at the moment, and when I needed to talk about it, I put it in the appropriate place. It makes me feel like my feelings are less valid than others because despite a whole thread about this issue and another in the H&W section, people are still posting inappropriate stuff on the ranty thread. It's not fair that I don't get to look at it because of this. It's not fair that the mods aren't enforcing the very reasonable guidelines we decided here. It's not fair that, like yesterday, I come online to unwind after a difficult day, look on the ranty thread and end up feeling worse.
  • Options
    PM a mod about the user(s) who are posting inappropriate stuff in the ranty thread.
  • Options
    I do agree, sometimes I feel like every other thread I click on I see loads of upsetting and depressing posts, and it's making this feel like quite a depressing place if I'm honest. I'm not saying it should be hidden away, but it can be triggering when you're not expecting to see that kind of stuff in some threads which are meant to be light hearted.
  • Options
    I find it pretty unlikely that the mods pick up on every other inappropriate post but not the suicidey ones. I think they just have a different definition of inappropriate, despite the evidence to the contrary in this thread.
  • Options
    I find it pretty unlikely that the mods pick up on every other inappropriate post but not the suicidey ones. I think they just have a different definition of inappropriate, despite the evidence to the contrary in this thread.

I think this is part of the problem - there are some things that some people find triggering and I personally am not bothered about in the slightest.
  • Options
    I think this is part of the problem - there are some things that some people find triggering and I personally am not bothered about in the slightest.

but the mods are aware it triggers some of us - and yet they do nothing.
  • Options
    but the mods are aware it triggers some of us - and yet they do nothing.

Have you reported the post? Or PM'd the poster and politely asked them to edit their post?
  • Options
    Have you reported the post? Or PM'd the poster and politely asked them to edit their post?

I've reported such posts on a number of times and had no removal, and the mods havent explained why they've just ignored me. As you may have guessed this is really beginning to tick me off.
  • Options
    Not being funny; but can you really expect the mods to remove every single post you find triggering?
  • Options
    No, I've reported maybe two posts that have really got me quite upset, and explained this. And if I was on my own with this I'd shut the fuck up or leave. But I'm not. To whatever degree I am definitely not the only person that gets upset by this. So why does noone care?
  • Options
    So why does noone care?

People should be allowed to post what they like, as long as it breaks none of the rules. I expect fully that some posts in the ranty thread/hug thread etc. might be upsetting, because they are not not a "light hearted thread"
    If every single post someone found triggering was deleted, it would defeat the object of the board.
    Why don't you just add the user to your ignore list? That way, you can see the posts you want to (maybe in another thread) but the ones in the rant thread can be hidden.
  • Options
    People should be allowed to post what they like, as long as it breaks none of the rules. I expect fully that some posts in the ranty thread/hug thread etc. might be upsetting, because they are not not a "light hearted thread"
    If every single post someone found triggering was deleted, it would defeat the object of the board.
    Why don't you just add the user to your ignore list? That way, you can see the posts you want to (maybe in another thread) but the ones in the rant thread can be hidden.

On the other hand, if potentially triggering posts were made in a jokey thread, they would be out of place. If people want to post about that kind of thing, then might be best posting it in a suitable place, I'm not saying people are not allowed to post what they want, but surely their venting / question for help if its a serious matter, would be better placed than in one of the "jokey" threads.