Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Walking on egg shells - the long threads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I realise this one may be un popular, and may be insensitive, and make people feel stigmatised etc, but I think it's also one worth throwing out there as a question, even if hardly anyone likes it.

(Hence the walking on eggshells).

We've got the rants thread, the good news thread, and the best thing you've eaten today thread which are all fab and brilliant and are 95% about all kinds of stuff. We've also got the long depression and self harming thread, which I know is really helpful to a lot of people.

What I'm kind of wondering is, am I the only one who would rather not see posts about self harming in the rants thread, and posts about not eating in the best food thread? It might just be me, but if I'm having a ranty/rubbish day, then other people's grumps usually help cheer me up/give some perspective on life. The self harm bits just feel a bit close.

Comments

• Options
    I think self harm should go in the self harm thread, and not eating in the health section.
  • Options
    Maybe the *rules* of the rants thread should be stickied?
  • Options
    Does it currently have rules?
  • Options
    erm.... i guess the same rules as the 'anything goes' rules? maybe they should be put above the rants thread like:

Attachment not found.
  • Options
    The point of the best food thread was that it wasn't going to turn into 'what have I NOT eaten today' competition.

I see your point about the ranty thread. I know I'm guilty of posting things in there sometimes that may be triggering, but I try to be deliberately vague when I do.
  • Options
    I agree 100%.

I think the ranty thread shouldn't have stuff like "I wanna die" in it. Sometimes you wanna be like "I spent ages cooking macaroni cheese and then dropped it all in the dirty sink", but it can't quite follow that.

On a serious note, I have found the ranty thread uncomfortable reading at times.
  • Options
    Maybe there should be a similar 'Had a bad day' thread in H&W?
  • Options
    i do see your point but i think it'd be unrealistic to post rules about what you can and can't post in the rant thread. what might be particularly upsetting/sensitive issue to one person that reads it may be a complete non issue to the other. the posts in there are really, really variable e.g 'my cat just farted on me' and then directly below might be 'my grandad died and now i want to join him'. it might collectively be agreed that it's a good idea if you're feeling really low to stick to the sh and depression thread but i dont think anyone feeling particularly shite should be made to feel worse for posting in the 'wrong thread'.
  • Options
    Trouble with forum discussions is, they are fluid. People are quite easily capable of veering off in random tangents. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I see where you're coming from. But, trying to keep anything on topic outside the P and D forum is impossible lol :P
  • Options
    i do see your point but i think it'd be unrealistic to post rules about what you can and can't post in the rant thread. what might be particularly upsetting/sensitive issue to one person that reads it may be a complete non issue to the other. the posts in there are really, really variable e.g 'my cat just farted on me' and then directly below might be 'my grandad died and now i want to join him'. it might collectively be agreed that it's a good idea if you're feeling really low to stick to the sh and depression thread but i dont think anyone feeling particularly shite should be made to feel worse for posting in the 'wrong thread'.
    I don't think anybody is ever going to bitch anyone out for posting in the 'wrong' thread, but there is at least a thread in Health now for stuff that could be triggering.
  • Options
    What SM has said, was basically what my post in the problems board was about.
  • Options
    I don't think anybody is ever going to bitch anyone out for posting in the 'wrong' thread, but there is at least a thread in Health now for stuff that could be triggering.

but people are and it does happen if someone posts something potentially *triggering* without issueing it with some sort of warning. personally, if im considering self harming, it may be selfish but the last person i am worrying about is anyone on an internet forum finding my derranged/desperate ravings triggering. but maybe that's another discussion.
  • Options
    I've never seen anyone bitch people out because of triggering content. Maybe they're made an FYI-type comment on the end of a post, but I've never seen anyone receive harsh comments because of it.
  • Options
    i have.

if this message board is going to become so stringent on threads for particular posts then for me that is a complete turn off.

im aware that posts can be 'triggering' like the ones about self harm but i think it's unreasonable for the person who has made a post like that to be expected to take everyone else's needs into consideration.
  • Options
    I figured that was basic human decency. If I know something I'm posting may potentially cause somebody else to feel as shit as I do, I'm going to make sure people are aware that that might happen.
  • Options
    am I the only one who would rather not see posts about self harming in the rants thread.

Sorry :/ A lot of that's me. I just don't want to start my own threads when it's just a little post. Sorry Scary, and others who don't like it. x
  • Options
    I figured that was basic human decency. If I know something I'm posting may potentially cause somebody else to feel as shit as I do, I'm going to make sure people are aware that that might happen.

I post on another forum and we are expected to mention that it may trigger in the title.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I post on another forum and we are expected to mention that it may trigger in the title.
    Exactly, it's only fair. Particularly in threads/forums where that kind of content isn't expected. If you put a warning, they can make the choice about whether to read it through or to skip past it. If you don't, it can be very damaging for people. I've seen the damage it can cause to people I care about and I think it's absolutely fucking selfish to not consider other people, if just for the two seconds it takes to write 'potentially triggering' at the beginning of your post.
  • Options
    i dont think its about human decency at all. if im feeling so low and desperate to self harm i think it's pretty obvious i might lack the awareness needed to judge whether my post is gonna be triggering. from past experience it's the last thing on my mind.
  • Options
    is it just me that always clicks on posts which say triggering, even if i *really* shouldnt
  • Options
    if just for the two seconds it takes to write 'potentially triggering' at the beginning of your post.

Even then, when those posts are in Anything Goes or Waste Time, they still get quoted over and over so even if you skim over them, chances are you'll see it again. It's just impossible to avoid. I reported one once because I thought other people would be triggered too but it wasn't removed. Now I don't often read the Ranty Thread because I don't want to be triggered, and that makes me a bit :mad:. And if you don't know what to say and just post your own rant after one of the dramatic ones you look like a cow. I think it should be confined to the H&W.
  • Options
    i dont think its about human decency at all. if im feeling so low and desperate to self harm i think it's pretty obvious i might lack the awareness needed to judge whether my post is gonna be triggering. from past experience it's the last thing on my mind.

it's good manners though, especially on a forum like this one. and sometimes threads have titles like 'i don't know what to do' or something completely ambiguous like that, and end up giving graphic details about suicide or something. we know vulnerable people are reading, so if the post is likely to cause harm to someone else it should have a trigger warning, simple as.
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't think that anything should be posted if it is actually "triggering". Even with a warning.

Sure, some posts might be upsetting / make uncomfortable reading, but I think there is a difference.
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't think that anything should be posted if it is actually "triggering". Even with a warning.

Sure, some posts might be upsetting / make uncomfortable reading, but I think there is a difference.
    Not necessarily.

What is triggering for one person may not be triggering for another. It's individual and impossible to regulate.
  • Options
    also there's things like needing first aid help that might need to be quite graphic, so could be triggering, but can't be explained without the details.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    it's good manners though, especially on a forum like this one. and sometimes threads have titles like 'i don't know what to do' or something completely ambiguous like that, and end up giving graphic details about suicide or something. we know vulnerable people are reading, so if the post is likely to cause harm to someone else it should have a trigger warning, simple as.

but i think it's a pretty big assumption to make that everyone is going to have this 'netiquette' instilled in them or even have the capacity at that time to make that sort of judgement. i agree if someone reports it as triggering that inevitably a warning will be placed over it but like scc just pretty much pointed out, if a thread has a banner with a 'triggering' warning doesn't it just add to the temptation to read it? so im not even sure how helpful a warning is.

people should be able to post wherever they want and yes it's good in a way that a sort of agreed netiquette has been formed with members that have been here a long time but not everyone is going to have the forsight to post in the 'correct' place (if one even exists on a messageboard designed to support young people) or to issue it with a triggering stamp before hitting the submit button.
  • Options
    And in those cases, usually there will be a gentle nudge in the right direction or a polite request for a trigger warning. Doing it repeatedly, though, is rude.
  • Options
    Sorry I had an explanation written out and deleted it. I know its different for different people, and there is a grey area blah blah blah. But for something to be triggering, to have the potential to actually trigger someone into doing something (or make someone feel seriously crap) then should anyone be reading that? Graphic descriptions / details etc. I think by having a thread with "will inevitably be triggering" could be a dangerous move, opening it up to more of that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Some people can be triggered by the words, 'I self-harmed today', or 'I've been really stupid' if they know the context.

It's not that black and white.
  • Options

The facility to help people with potentially triggering problems shouldn't be removed entirely, because on balance that will do just as much harm as banning it. Users should just have much more choice in reading them.