Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Problem with laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past couple of nights I've been having trouble with my laptop. I have trouble with opening things on the desktop and left hand side of the start menu. I can't even log off or shut down to try and sort it. Pressing the on/off button won't turn it off either. I also can't open task manager.
I eventually got it working last night but it's the same again tonight.

Comments

• Options
    You don't explain the nature of the problems. Things just not opening?

It sounds like you may have a virus, or a programme that's gone a bit rogue. Hold down the "off" button until the laptop is forced to switch off. When you switch it back on hold down the F12 button until you get an option for safe mode.

If it sucessfully gets to safe mode you need to:
    1.Run your virus killer, do a full system scan including the registry and boot sector.
    2.Check to see if something is starting up that shouldn't. Goto Start>Run>type in MSCONFIG and goto the startup tab. Look through the list and switch everything off except for the antivirus program, and anything that looks like it was written by microsoft. Everything else can be turned off.

Once both things are done, restart your computer to windows normally and see what happens.
  • Options
    Try also using something like TuneUp utilities. It has a section in it for fixing problems, run the lot and see if it fixes anything. You can also use a restore disk and run repair on your system.
  • Options
    They just wouldn't load. I couldn't even open task manager to see if they were processing. I had my finger on the on/off button for about 15 seconds and it wouldn't go off.
    I did a scan yesterday and it found nothing.
    It seems fine now.
  • Options
    When you can never open task manager (did it ever report an error?) it's a sign of a virus usually because of how easy it is for it to be disabled (registry edit). What AV were you scanning with?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    When you can never open task manager (did it ever report an error?) it's a sign of a virus usually because of how easy it is for it to be disabled (registry edit). What AV were you scanning with?
    And is it updated?

Try also scanning with this: www.malwarebytes.org
  • Options
    I use Norton and it was updated about 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    *Lea* wrote: »
    I use Norton and it was updated about 3 weeks ago.
    :chin: They're supposed to update themselves every day at least, but I'd say 3 weeks is recent enough to almost rule out a virus...
  • Options
    :chin: They're supposed to update themselves every day at least, but I'd say 3 weeks is recent enough to almost rule out a virus...
    Sorry, I thought you meant renewed.