Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

marriage proposals

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is going to sound strange, but take a leaf out of the SATC movie. Marriage, and the pressuring to organize, plan, commit to it can sometimes cause a relationship to crumble which is why most marriages don't work. That's probably why he hasn't proposed, he might not be ready.

With you saying you're a traditionalist with him proposing to you, and you couldn't do it because you might think he was only saying yes to please you - is marriage actually right for you?
  • Options
    OK, it has been yonks since I last posted, but I really wanted to step in here and give my 2 penny worth.

blah - I'm basing this a lot on my experiences with my ex, but I would bet my [something valuable] on the fact that he had absolutely no intention of proposing to you and this is just his way of manipulating the situation (because it's all your fault now and you feel like shit). I mean, most people who would actually be proposing in a month wouldn't have initially reacted in the way that he did - if that was me and I was planning it, and my partner raised the issue, I would have said, "Yes, maybe one day, I'd like that. Hey, let's go and get ice cream!" It just sounds very odd to me and is ringing some very familiar alarm bells.

My ex (after 3 years together) wouldn't even entertain any discussions about marriage or settling down. If I ever brought it up, he would say I was putting pressure on him and generally treating me as if I was doing a Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction when all I wanted was for us to clarify our feelings on the matter. When you're in your mid-20s and in a long-term relationship - it's really not an unreasonable suggestion.

When things in our relationship took a turn for the worst, he told me had I not 'ruined things' he would have proposed at Christmas and gave me a nice convoluted story of how it was going to happen. Would it have happened? Would it feck.

So yeah, I'm looking at things with my cynical cap on, but at worst he is manipulating you, at best - he really was going to propose but has reacted to your conversation in a really odd way. Their proposal was 'ruined' simply because you brought the subject of marriage up? WTF? Hell, after years together, I would *want* to know how my partner felt about marriage because I sure as hell wouldn't want to be turned down.
  • Options
    Calm yourself down. Maybe he did have a surprise planned that unfortunate timing has messed up, but you need to remember the important thing - the sentiment and desire to propose is definitely in him :)
  • Options
    why wouldn't marriage be right for me? most women wouldn't get down on one knee themselves. the fact i might be worried he was only doing it to please me is just me being me. i don't really believe that anybody would want me :(
  • Options
    plus, if i proposed and he said yes, i'd only be paranoid that he said yes to please me rather than actually wanting to marry me

Welcome to a man's world..
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    OK, it has been yonks since I last posted, but I really wanted to step in here and give my 2 penny worth.

blah - I'm basing this a lot on my experiences with my ex, but I would bet my [something valuable] on the fact that he had absolutely no intention of proposing to you and this is just his way of manipulating the situation (because it's all your fault now and you feel like shit). I mean, most people who would actually be proposing in a month wouldn't have initially reacted in the way that he did - if that was me and I was planning it, and my partner raised the issue, I would have said, "Yes, maybe one day, I'd like that. Hey, let's go and get ice cream!" It just sounds very odd to me and is ringing some very familiar alarm bells.

My ex (after 3 years together) wouldn't even entertain any discussions about marriage or settling down. If I ever brought it up, he would say I was putting pressure on him and generally treating me as if I was doing a Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction when all I wanted was for us to clarify our feelings on the matter. When you're in your mid-20s and in a long-term relationship - it's really not an unreasonable suggestion.

When things in our relationship took a turn for the worst, he told me had I not 'ruined things' he would have proposed at Christmas and gave me a nice convoluted story of how it was going to happen. Would it have happened? Would it feck.

So yeah, I'm looking at things with my cynical cap on, but at worst he is manipulating you, at best - he really was going to propose but has reacted to your conversation in a really odd way. Their proposal was 'ruined' simply because you brought the subject of marriage up? WTF? Hell, after years together, I would *want* to know how my partner felt about marriage because I sure as hell wouldn't want to be turned down.

you might have a point.

this followed him stating that us saving up for our new house is more important (we aren't moving for another 3.5-4 years though at least!!!!!) and we can't afford to get married.

then again, he really isn't the sort of person to manipulate someone. he's a nice guy.

starting to calm down a bit now. still absolutely gutted though.

i'm ready to make that committment to him.
  • Options
    I can understand why your upset, can I ask what you think will change if you get married? Except your name, I honestly found apart from the name and decrease in my bank balance, nothing changed, I can understand why your sad. Sone people just don't see the point In Marriage. It doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    it does to me though. i want his name. i want us to be husband and wife. i don't just want to be his "girlfriend". i want to get married before we have children and that will be in 3/4 years time.

i'm just going to try and forget about it. i'm getting myself too upset :(
  • Options
    I'd give him a year to see if he comes up with another surprise proposal - if he doesn't then start worrying that your both not singing from the same hymn sheet - but at the moment give him the benefit of the doubt.

ohh and just let him know that there are some really good deals on rings in thailand.
  • Options
    why wouldn't marriage be right for me? most women wouldn't get down on one knee themselves. the fact i might be worried he was only doing it to please me is just me being me. i don't really believe that anybody would want me :(
    because you're doing it more for the traditional rather than for a relationship. You want his name, you want to be official, you want to have children after marriage - that seems like a planned life, perhaps he doesn't want it to be so "cut-throat" as a marriage life.
  • Options
    OMG! Go away!!!!!!!!!!! hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    because you're doing it more for the traditional rather than for a relationship. You want his name, you want to be official, you want to have children after marriage - that seems like a planned life, perhaps he doesn't want it to be so "cut-throat" as a marriage life.

or, you sound like you have a problem with marriage...
  • Options
    bah.

thanks for the comments everyone.

suppose i got what i deserved by asking. i always manage to ruin things. serves me right for opening my big gob.

am just going to keep quiet about it now and see what happens.
  • Options
    So, you might have ruined the surprise proposal in Thailand, but at least you know where you both stand. Definitely a silver lining to this cloud. Xx
  • Options
    doesn't feel like it right now but thanks :)

not sure i'm going to enjoy my holiday now. just going to be thinking what could have been :| maybe i'll feel different in six weeks time, who knows.
  • Options
    :crying:

we've just had another talk because i've been getting upset all day over the way he reacted so i spoke to him when i got home.

he ended up telling me that he was planning on proposing next month when we go thailand but now he can't because i've ruined it.

i'm such an idiot, i'm absolutely gutted.
    It could be a bluff. Maybe he's saying that to throw you off the scent.
  • Options
    Just to echo go_away's points, was he bollocks going to propose in Thailand.

I'm the world's worst man at keeping surprises, but even I wouldn't tell you that I was planning something if I thought you were on to it. In response to a direct quetsion about whether I wanted to marry, I'd have mumbled something about some day, maybe, who knows and then gone beetroot red. I wouldn't have thrown my toys out of my pram like some sort of fucking toddler and then, some time later, come out with some cock and bull story about how I was going to propose and YOU RUINED IT YOU BITCH YOU DID.

I don't care how "nice" he is, that is extremely odd behaviour, if not downright sinister behaviour.
  • Options
    Just to echo go_away's points, was he bollocks going to propose in Thailand.

I'm the world's worst man at keeping surprises, but even I wouldn't tell you that I was planning something if I thought you were on to it. In response to a direct quetsion about whether I wanted to marry, I'd have mumbled something about some day, maybe, who knows and then gone beetroot red. I wouldn't have thrown my toys out of my pram like some sort of fucking toddler and then, some time later, come out with some cock and bull story about how I was going to propose and YOU RUINED IT YOU BITCH YOU DID.

I don't care how "nice" he is, that is extremely odd behaviour, if not downright sinister behaviour.

I am inclined to agree with this and go_away's post.

I think it's actually very rude of him to react this way to a legit discussion opener about where you two are headed. To say you ruined something for him is just really weird and in my opinion, hurtful.

Him not wanting to talk about it at all and just throwing dirt your way also suggests you've thrown him off balance because it's not something he's been thinking of. I think most people's reaction if somebody starts digging around when it comes to future surprises is to try to distract the person in question, not blame them and get angry!

After some time together it's natural to want to compare notes and figure out how you wish to plan your future. Today people do have different views on whether they even want to get married or not. It's not unreasonable to discuss that just like you would discuss children or whether to buy a place to live together.

You're being way too hard on yourself on this one, it's not right for your boyfriend to behave like he has done on the matter.
  • Options
    pfft, well i'm never going to know am i? i asked him last night if he meant what he said or if he just said it to upset me. he said he was actually thinking of asking me. nevermind eh.

my boyfriend does have an odd way of behaving sometimes. he doesn't always want to talk about how he feels, etc and i'm guessing this is one of those subjects he also doesn't like talking about. he said he was upset last night that i even asked him about marriage because he thought he'd made it pretty clear he did want it as we've spoken about kids, buying our next house, etc. he said its one of those sort of things people don't talk about or plan (i don't want it planned, i just wanted to talk about our future!!!) and when it happens, it happens.

guess i'm just going to have to live with the fact that he was going to propose and he now he isn't. i'm finding that pretty hard to be honest and i pretty much hate myself right now.

i'm not going to bring up the subject again and just leave it. another life lesson learnt there eh?!! lol.

haven't slept a wink and i've got to work a 2-midnight shift today, bahhhh.
  • Options
    I don't think he was going to propose, as him telling you means he ruined the plan, if he hadnt said a thing the secret would have been safe.

I dont know how you had ruined it?
  • Options
    OMG GO AWAY!!!! :hyper:

i agree with whoever said he wasnt going to propose at all. Hes just trying to make you feel bad for asking him.
    Bet you any money
  • Options
    OMG GO AWAY!!!! :hyper:

i agree with whoever said he wasnt going to propose at all. Hes just trying to make you feel bad for asking him.
    Bet you any money

:yes: I don't understand how exactly you ruined it?:confused:
  • Options
    you know what, i'd feel 10 times better if that was the case as i'm just gutted and so so angry at myself.

just feel as though i've ruined everything.
  • Options
    Well if he loved you enough to propose to you, why has he gone mental at you, and why does he seem to not want to do so anymore?

I think he is playing on the fact that you always seem to feel bad for it being your fault, when its infact his.
  • Options
    pfft. well i'll never know. i don't think he is the sort of person to lie about such a thing to be honest. just wish i never posted this thread and approached him about the matter. something that was bothering me a bit has now turned into a big thing that is bothering me! it just seems as though i've been a stupid cow and ruined my chance of being really happy :( he did just say in the car to me "well, learn something from it. maybe now you'll stop pestering me". errr, i mentionned it once the other night! i never talk about marriage. i never bring up getting engaged as like i said in my first post, i don't want him to feel pressurised into doing anything. i don't think he realises how hurt i am to be honest. ah well. best leaving it and seeing how things go. i'm not going to see him for a few days now because of work so it gives us both a bit of time to calm down a bit. thanks for the comments everyone :)
  • Options
    Just my tuppence worth, but to accuse you of having been "pestering" him when you only mentioned it once does seem a little odd. You know your bf best and, if you say he isn't the sort to lie, is it possible that it is not you who has been putting pressure on him, but his family/friends? If that were the case, he might genuinely have been trying to come up with some "ideal" situation in which to pop the question. But he didn't, and you beat him to it by bringing up the subject. His reaction might be some sort of disappointment or guilt, in not having been able to surprise you ...
  • Options
    :wave: everyone
    "well, learn something from it. maybe now you'll stop pestering me"

Umm, no. This isn't how relationships work. You calmly discuss, negotiate, try and compromise and work towards something that honours you as a partnership (even when there's conflict, it's perfectly OK to make your feelings known). "This is how it's going to be, deal with it, end of," is not good enough. Sorry blah, but it just isn't. And what exactly are you supposed to 'learn'? Not to bug him about things that he doesn't want to acknowledge or fear the 'consequences'? Is this how you want to spend the rest of your life with someone? Take it from me when I say it does not get better and it does not change.

So what's the outcome now? You feel like shit, worrying about what you've done and now have to walk on eggshells, never bringing up anything that could potentially rock the boat? This isn't even about the marriage proposal anymore, whether it may or may not have happened. I think what he did was really cruel and now it's convenient that this is all your problem :no:
  • Options
    Any man who treats you like this isn't worth marrying IMHO

The person you want to spend the rest of your life with should make you feel great about yourself, not like shit.
  • Options
    he did just say in the car to me "well, learn something from it. maybe now you'll stop pestering me".

I've known of one other man who treated his partner in such a disgusting way. He was one of these who proposes straight away, rather than never, but then he went and jilted her three weeks before her wedding, after spending months hitting on my wife every time I was away from home.

Partnerships are based on mutual respect and honesty. If he doesn't want to marry you, for whatever reason, he should just bloody well say so. The fact that he is prepared to speak to you in such a petulant and abusive way is a REALLY BAD SIGN and you'd do well to "learn something from it" and tell him to go stick the relationship up his arse sideways.

If he doesn't want to marry that is one thing, but being a complete arsehole about it is quite another. If he was a decent human being he'd be explaining why he doesn't want to do it, not trying to pin the blame on you.

I'll give you an example from earlier in my relationship, before we were married. GWST wanted us to buy a house together and I didn't want to. I was adamant I just wanted to rent first, for various reasons, but instead of saying STOP NAGGING ME YOU COW we discussed the reasons and decided it was best to wait. With hindsight she was right, house prices sky-rocketed in the 18 months we waited, but the fact is we discussed it as mature adults.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    or, you sound like you have a problem with marriage...
    I do to a degree when it's so cut-throat like what I described. I see no point in changing the relationship over it and risking it falling apart.