Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

TheSite Baby Meet

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tbf its different with a baby. They tend to stay roughly where you put them
  • Options
    I wouldn't go that far with Madam, she's pretty bloody mobile now, but I know what you mean. We won't be able to do it anywhere near as easily in 12 months time because she won't just be mobile, she'll be running everywhere at 270mph.
  • Options
    she'll be running everywhere at 270mph.

So quicker than most of the trains and buses in the north anyway?
  • Options
    its also easier with one.
    If one toddler wants to walk up and down the carriage 100 times, you can follow them. if youve got one who wants to do one thing and another something else, its a pain in the arse.
    I hate even taking the two together into town unless ive got the pushchair (and even then, not if i can avoid it), but one on their own can be quite nice
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    tbf its different with a baby. They tend to stay roughly where you put them

This is why someone invented velcro ;)
  • Options
    do what my mother did, buy some toddler reins!

gawd, i used to hate those things :grump:
  • Options
    I hate them, with a passion. But its a personal thing.
  • Options
    If i come i was thinking of making it a weekend away so somewhere nice near a baby friendly hotel with a swimming pool would do me
  • Options
    ive got nothing against reins, but they just get tangled up in them IME
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I hate them, with a passion. But its a personal thing.

Are the things you put on yours and the childs' wrists any better?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Are the things you put on yours and the childs' wrists any better?

Not IMHO, it's still like having your kid on a lead...
  • Options
    and so what do you suggest if your child likes to run away at every opportunity?
  • Options
    I'd go for leads though, I don't really see the problem if it gives you child more freedom than no lead would.

Although reins always seemed a tad daft, when you could have a retractable lead hence solving the tripping up issue.
  • Options
    and so what do you suggest if your child likes to run away at every opportunity?

My kids have never had that problem. From the start of walking they were taught to hold my hand and not to run away.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. I don't like them because I think it's like treating your child like you would a dog. However, it's up to other parents to do whatever suits them.
  • Options
    I would have loved to use reins. Too difficult with too.

I would also love to have a (not-so) baby meet so maybe after we get back in July I will try to orchestrate one. Second the "no bad language" thing though, my girls have picked up so many Mexican swear words it's embarrassing. Not from me either, might I add!
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    My kids have never had that problem. From the start of walking they were taught to hold my hand and not to run away.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. I don't like them because I think it's like treating your child like you would a dog. However, it's up to other parents to do whatever suits them.

When my baby first started walking she was too short for me to hold her hand without it really hurting my back so my mum got the reins (she also has back problems) - but its not so bad now she is a bit taller so we dont' use them - oddly though she gets quite excited whenever i get them out
  • Options
    F and Aare not too bad with holding hands, so ive never bothered with reins, but L on the other hand was a runner and would run off all the time, wouldnt hold hands etc, but he is autistic and has been very difficult to control at times, especially as a toddler before you could reason with him, so all id say, is dont judge just because your children were easy. Its not always down to your parenting.
  • Options
    and why do people put their dogs on a lead? To keep them safe and stop them running under a bus etc.

Some toddlers need that extra safety measure to keep them from doing the same thing
  • Options
    Exactly. I don't know if we will use reins or not, it really does depend on how easy R is to control when she's properly toddling, but I have no problems with them at all. I don't think it is demeaning to have a toddler on a lead; it's certainly less demeaning than having them run off under a bus.
  • Options
    so all id say, is dont judge just because your children were easy. Its not always down to your parenting.

Like I said, it's up to other parents how whether they wish to use reins etc. I'm really not judging anyone. I can understand it, I really can. It's just a personal thing.
  • Options
    My godson loved his reins, he used to know he was getting taken out of the house on some random adventure when I broke them out of the cupboard. Plus if he was on one of his speed demon days, slightly more pressure could "direct" him in the way I wanted him to go yet leaving him thinking he was in charge ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We have reins. I dislike them but they are a bit of a necessity. Niamhy is very independent and likes to dash around all over the place and she does not like holding people's hands! Sometimes it is not worth the battle - I like to choose mine. So if it's a choice of her being on reins whilst feeding the ducks or her escaping my grasp and falling into the lake whilst feeding the ducks I know which one I would choose. Lesser of 2 evils. But I still don't like them.
  • Options
    and why do people put their dogs on a lead? To keep them safe and stop them running under a bus etc.

Some toddlers need that extra safety measure to keep them from doing the same thing

Exactly. Niamh is happy to hold hands most of the time, but some times she doesn't want to. The alternative then is either that she gets carried, or she gets to walk on a set of reins that she doesn't even know about, and so a) she is happy and b) we don't have to carry her places, or fight over holding hands.

Also we have a funky backpack with the reins attached to it.
  • Options

blow%20dart.jpg
  • Options
    :d
  • Options
    It has been put to me to suggest a location and a date for this meet, and since it's been put to me, I am suggesting Leeds. In March.

Anyone up for that?

Or hit me with your alternative ideas :cool:
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    It has been put to me to suggest a location and a date for this meet, and since it's been put to me, I am suggesting Leeds. In March.

Anyone up for that?

Or hit me with your alternative ideas :cool:
    March is good for me, iirc. April is bad, and May is ESPECIALLY bad and particularly stressful (sister's wedding, eugh), so I vote March :p.

It means I can finally make my Leeds trip :D.

Work out a date and I'll find out if I can crash at my friend's house.
  • Options
    Not the first weekend, cause that's just after my birthday, so I will probs be living the rock and roll lifestyle (read: mourning the loss of my youth), but I can do either 12/13th, 19/20th or 26/27th. Saturdays or Sundays, although Saturdays might be best for people travel wise?
  • Options
    Any Saturday is good for me afaik. I have asked said friend if March is a good time, if not I may have to steal some floor space from someone >.<

ETA: Make that, I WILL have to steal some floor space. She's off visiting her boy in Holland. Sadpanda :(.