Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where to buy bras...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how do you get away with just one bra?

do you wash and dry it every night or something?

No, it hardly gets washed tbh :/ But there we go. I don't think I've ever had more than two bras anyway, it doesn't bother me too much. Just think it'd be nice to have more
  • Options
    i read somewhere that you werent supposed to wash bras too often anyway as it ruins them
  • Options
    Yeah, it knackers the underwire. Hand-washing is best but if you don't have the time to do that (and, lets face it, who does?), washing them inside an old pillow case can help.
  • Options
    That explains a lot... I've always thrown them in the wash and dryer with everything else and I wonder why they get all misshapen.

But yeah, pick up a couple cheapies. Even if they aren't your exact size or ugly, I should imagine something is better than nothing with that size.

Can I ask why your mother, a person who I should assume knows the importance of a bra, doesn't want her daughter to have any? Could you ask another relative or somebody you are close to? Does your school offer any type of clothing drive or clothing assistance?
  • Options
    It's because she says bras my size are too expensive, and if I want them then I have to buy them. She bought be some last spring/early summer, and I grew out of them, and she got really annoyed. So, since then, she wont buy me anymore. x
  • Options
    It's because she says bras my size are too expensive, and if I want them then I have to buy them. She bought be some last spring/early summer, and I grew out of them, and she got really annoyed. So, since then, she wont buy me anymore. x
    Um, what?

She got annoyed at you for growing?!

Good lord.

If you were my size I'd chuck some of mine (washed, obviously) your way, since I rarely wear more than about three or four of them and I have LOADS.
  • Options
    ive got a couple in that size i could send you if you like
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    (washed, obviously)

There is a market for dirty bras you know.
  • Options
    Yeah, it knackers the underwire. Hand-washing is best but if you don't have the time to do that (and, lets face it, who does?), washing them inside an old pillow case can help.

i have an option on my washing machine for 'hand-washing' :D i throw all my bras into the washing machine using this option on a regular basis and mine are all alright :) mine are all underwired bras too.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where on the high street you can go to get 34/2 G -GG/H bras? M&S don't do them, and La senza bras are very small and uncomfortable on me. I have ended up spending a fortune on freya/fantasy bras because they seem to be the only ones that go up to stupidly huge sizes
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Does anyone know where on the high street you can go to get 34/2 G -GG/H bras? M&S don't do them, and La senza bras are very small and uncomfortable on me. I have ended up spending a fortune on freya/fantasy bras because they seem to be the only ones that go up to stupidly huge sizes

Have you looked on ebay? Was my saviour when trying to track down elusive 30G nursing bras!

These puppies had best shrink when I stop feeding or I will not be a happy camper.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

I know debenhams range goes up to at least a G cup and theyre quite reasonable

or try here http://www.lovebras.com/default.aspx
  • Options
    Um, what?

She got annoyed at you for growing?!

Good lord.

Ahh she's like that. She doesn't like the fact I have bigger boobs than her, and that I wear makeup, have a boyfriend etc etc. She always says I'm a slag, but I don't let it bother me any more! I mean, you've seen my FB pics. Do I look like a slag? Not really.

And thanks Suzy, but she'll only ask where they came from! It's my birthday in April, so might ask Uncle for cash in advance since he owes me anyway, and will hopefully find some to buy with that! x
  • Options
    I don't know but the only shop that I buy my bras from although sounding like an old women are M+S. They do really nice colours/styles and they also offer a bra fitting service so that you can buy bras that are suited specifically for your size :)
  • Options
    m&s are shit for bra fitting, without fail.
  • Options
    Have to agree. When I went in for some non padded bras, I was told they didn't have non padded ones in my size, fitted with some padded ones and sent on my merry way. The bras I got are fine but, they are padded and get logged with sweat quickly. I've had a look myself and they do have non padded bras in my size, she just couldn't be arsed to look for any, completely ignoring my point about exercise.

That said, I do like the bras in M&S.
  • Options
    i was in there the other day listening to someone fitting getting their daughter fitted for a bra saying "well, she measure 27 underneath, so id put her in a 32 band. Lets try a AA :no::yeees:

start someone off wearing the wrong bra size for life. Annoys me.
  • Options
    How is that wrong? I thought that was how you did it, is how I always have - measure the ribs then the boobs, but if they're small you know they're not going to fill much so...
  • Options
    The band size is based on the measurement around the ribs. Already the back size is 4 inches wrong by putting her in a 32 rather than a 28 back (depending on fit). She might be an A or AA cup size but she sure as hell isn't a 32.

Your cup size is determined by the ratio of the difference between the measurement around your ribs and around the fullest part of your bust. Although a much better way is just to try a load of bras on and see how they fit; Bravissimo don't use tape measures and generally get it right.
  • Options
    The band size is based on the measurement around the ribs. Already the back size is 4 inches wrong by putting her in a 32 rather than a 28 back (depending on fit). She might be an A or AA cup size but she sure as hell isn't a 32.

Yeah, that.

My rib measurement is 33in, so I wear a 34. I could be a 34 anything, but I wouldn't put myself in a 38-whatever.
  • Options
    If the number around your ribs is odd you add five to get bra size, if it's even you add four- that means a 27inch rib cage is a 32 bra band. Then if you measure around the fullest part of the bust, 32 makes an a cup and they go up one cup per inch.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If the number around your ribs is odd you add five to get bra size, if it's even you add four- that means a 27inch rib cage is a 32 bra band. Then if you measure around the fullest part of the bust, 32 makes an a cup and they go up one cup per inch.

A 38 would be MASSIVE on me. For serious. Lady who measured me specifically said, "You measure 33in".
  • Options
    If you take someone with a 27inch rib cage and put them in a 28inch bra they probably wouldn't be able to breath- it's unlikely there's much squidge-way there, that's probably the size of the ribs plus skin. If you measure 33inches you have more squidgy leway, and have to go down a bit on the bra size, especially if you have big boobs- so that the band it tight enough to help hold up the weight of the boobs.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you take someone with a 27inch rib cage and put them in a 28inch bra they probably wouldn't be able to breath- it's unlikely there's much squidge-way there, that's probably the size of the ribs plus skin. If you measure 33inches you have more squidgy leway, and have to go down a bit on the bra size, especially if you have big boobs- so that the band it tight enough to help hold up the weight of the boobs.

Yeah, my boobs do weigh a whole fuckin' lot :(. They've been hurting a fair bit recently, too.

I don't like being a 34FF :(
  • Options
    you dont, you either add nothing if its an even number, or add 1 if its an odd number.
    You then measure round the fullest part and calculate the difference. 1in is an A cup, 2in a B cup, 3in a c cup etc etc.

i measure 29 under and i wear a 30 band. Even a 32 is too big, sometimes 30s are too, but its hard enough to find them, let alone 28s

the old way of measuring where you add 4 or 5 to the band gives a really shit fit and no support. Most Uk bras fit the newer way of measuring.

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size

http://www.becheeky.com/help/how-to-measure-your-bra-size/
  • Options
    Never been measured any other way, or seen a guide that advises anything other than add four or five.
  • Options
    *switches to new way, suddenly has boobs- grins*

Hmmn, might try some if I can find any in new size, see if it makes a difference, suspect the choice will be... limited!
  • Options
    *switches to new way, suddenly has boobs- grins*

Hmmn, might try some if I can find any in new size, see if it makes a difference, suspect the choice will be... limited!

What's your new size? Like I said upthread, I'm a 34FF and I find that Wonderbra are good. La Senza do a DD+ range, but you probably know what they're like for sizing. Figleaves is pretty good, too. Also Debenhams.
  • Options

Man, that's some complicated shit right there!

It sounds like it's possible to go up a cup size but to actually have had you boobs get smaller.