Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tips for driving in snow

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sneer wrote: »
    I love seeing people in mercs and fancy expensive cars struggling cos they have rear wheel drive :D

Mr Kaff's BMW barely makes it off our drive in the snow, while my shitbox Ford KA doesn't bat an eyelid :D

It's one of the few times I feel smug about my car!
  • Options
    I love seeing people in mercs and fancy expensive cars struggling cos they have rear wheel drive :D

yep i've been one of those people in my parents car not my own - but we did have snow chains so managed to get out of the very icy car park eventually - all the tiny fiats etc were just sailing out easy as pie.
  • Options
    tiny fiats FTW :D

not sure on any specific advice for rear wheel drive cars in the snow though lexi - there probably is a specific technique that makes them cope better but they just seem to have less traction/control in the snow.
  • Options
    tiny fiats FTW :D

not sure on any specific advice for rear wheel drive cars in the snow though lexi - there probably is a specific technique that makes them cope better but they just seem to have less traction/control in the snow.

Not so much a technique, but it helps to weigh down the rear end. Basically shove as much heavy stuff as you can into the boot. Part of the reason RWDs stuggle is because the weight of the car (IE the engine block) is not over the driving wheels, so less opportunity for traction.

That said, it's possible to drive them, just more tricky.

Winter tyres is obviously a good choice, but for some cars that's 1000 pounds of wheel, which is a lot.
  • Options
    Yeah, not really worth the expense, unless you are going abroad where it is sometimes a legal requirement.
  • Options
    And you apparently need to notify your insurers you've changed the car from spec.
  • Options
    You need a WeissSock

weisssock-main.jpg