Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tips for driving in snow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As ive never really had any experience of it. From what i know:

Stopping distance is somethig like 10 times what it is normally so stay a safe distance apart.
Dont brake but instead go down gears to slow down.
When pulling away, start in 2nd
Keep revs low
If you skid dont brake but steer into it

Is that right? Anything else i should know? When is it safe to brake, say you have to stop at a junction?

Comments

• Options
    stay at home :yes:
  • Options
    pretend your in a rally car and go hell for leather...

actually don't do that, but keep your revs low, speed low etc
    you can feel when the car starts to slide on ice, don't brake hard and defintly don't accerlate, if your car starts to slide round turn into the skid to correct it when you begin to get grip again

so basically what you posted was about right but I still use the brake but very very gently
  • Options
    Have a look at this page on the Directgov website,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

The only personal advice I can give about driving in snow is that you should take all the actions you normally take behind the wheel, but much slower!

And, of course, stay WAY behind the vehicle in front, even if the line of traffic is speeding up.
  • Options
    I always get told low speed, high gear! Though I hate driving in this ice especially when my car gets stuck and I can't move :crying:
  • Options
    Slow down with your gears as opposed to brakes
  • Options
    stay at home :yes:

agreed
  • Options
    Wish i could stay home but unfortunately i need the money, and someones gotta get stressed out serving coffee to aggravating people.

Kinda bricking it having to drive cos my car is so old and not designed for snow at all but we'll see
  • Options
    Give yourself plenty of time, so you don't feel like you need to hurry at all.
  • Options
    Yea, ive gotta drive through country roads and stuff so if its really bad im not gonna risk my neck to get in. I just would rather be able to drive myself than have to get a lift or the bus
  • Options
    Use the tyre tracks in the road that other cars have left.
  • Options
    If you can avoid driving in bad conditions do so - its a lot less stress and risk!

I think all that you have said makes sense apart from one glaring omission - don't try and drive at normal speeds.

You may need to replan your route to avoid any hills - theres bloodylittle hills everywhere and they can really scupper journeys when theres snow/ice.

Make sure you have things in your car incase you get stuck - a change of clothes, blankets, torch, mobile phone and charger, cash in case you have to abandon and use other transport methods where they are an option, a shovel is probably useful.

Theres more snow coming so my main piece of advice is to make sure you have proper, sturdy waterproof footwear to hand - just in case!
  • Options
    Though I hate driving in this ice especially when my car gets stuck and I can't move :crying:

My car got stuck in the snow at work, just about got him out of his parking space then couldnt get up a tiny incline on the route out of the car park so I had to put him back and use public transport.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    As ive never really had any experience of it. From what i know:

Stopping distance is somethig like 10 times what it is normally so stay a safe distance apart.
    Dont brake but instead go down gears to slow down.
    When pulling away, start in 2nd
    Keep revs low

Is that right? Anything else i should know? When is it safe to brake, say you have to stop at a junction?

Actually that's a pretty good list. They key tips is never use 1st Gear.

Also helps if you have a spade in the car just in case you need to dig yourself out.

As for junction, decelerate earlier than usual and ease towards the junction using gears to help slow yourself. Light touch on brakes at most.

Driving is snow is fun, if you do it properly.
  • Options
    It's pretty much all the usual precautions of driving except exaggerated. Give an excessive amount of following distance so you have time to stop. Always ease on your breaks and if they lock up and you go into a skid repeatedly tap the break lightly, if that doesn't work try gently pulling on the hand break, and if that doesn't work it's always preferable to lose your headlight in a snow bank than to smash the car in front of you. Never stop or park facing uphill if you can avoid it. And remember that gravity is working against you when you're headed downhill so always go much slower.

Other (unofficial suggestions include)
    - Bring kitty litter and a strong friend in case you get stuck
    - Rules of the road don't apply when there's snow on the ground so try to take advantage of that by doing as many donuts in a parking lot as possible.
  • Options
    I just would rather be able to drive myself than have to get a lift or the bus

Take these options!
  • Options
    I took a few bits of old carpet off cuts with me so i could put em under my wheels when i got stuck. My old auto was actually pretty easy to drive last year, only got stuck in my own drive (slight incline) lol
  • Options
    As ive never really had any experience of it.

QUOTE]

Has anybody pulled that off?

Easier said than done when you lose control
    MoK wrote: »
    Actually that's a pretty good list. They key tips is never use 1st Gear.

Why is this? >>> New Driver :thumb:
  • Options
    the main thing to remember is to stay calm and don't panic drive everywhere in a high gear.

Make sure you have food and chocolate and a sleeping bag and warm clothes in case you get seriously stuck. Also remember that you might not get stuck but the person in front might and then you get stuck as well.

I've been driving our 4x4 (lada niva - not a chelsea tractor) around the past few days and its amazing how much better it is than my usual car. However small light front wheel drive cars are best on snow and ice then large heavy rear wheel drive ones.

If you live somewhere thats likely to get very snowy and involve you driving up and down lots of snowy lanes all winter its worth thinking about getting winter tires or snow chains (make sure they are easy to put on though as my dad's aren't) as they make a massive difference.
  • Options
    Why is this? >>> New Driver :thumb:

Too much power/torque to the wheels. Basically all you will get is wheel spin...
  • Options
    I'm confused - what gear is best? When I leave my house I stay in one where there's lots of ice until I get onto a main road where I drive in gears I normally would. Is this wrong?!
  • Options
    the best thing to do is keep your revs low so I would think that the highest gear possible within reason
  • Options
    Low revs, start in second and then pretty much gears as usual, just never into first.
  • Options
    well thats a problem for me...my car can't pull off in second...fuckkkkk! lol
  • Options
    Automatic?
  • Options
    nope, tried taking off in second acouple of times and it starts to go but then stalls, might just be that I'm heavy footed or something though
  • Options
    Need more revs. You can rev a little higher to pull away in second without so much power going to the wheels...
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    well thats a problem for me...my car can't pull off in second...fuckkkkk! lol

You can pull off in first but just don't put your foot down, pretty much as soon as you are moving put it into 2nd.

Generally i always try and be one gear higher than i normally would, just be very careful on the pedals and smooth with the steering wheel, and try and stick to well used roads.

Of course the number one rule is don't drive unless you absolutely have to :yes:
  • Options
    I didnt drive today but hopefully if it doesnt snow again and the roads clear up a lil bit i should be able to
  • Options
    I love seeing people in mercs and fancy expensive cars struggling cos they have rear wheel drive :D
  • Options
    I have rear wheel drive but mine is neither fancy or expensive