Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

*RANT* Fuming at the GP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So anyway, I've ranted in chat about this but I am still pissed off, I really can't get my head around things.

Basically a back story.

My son has PMLE, and when we tried to get it diagnosed, our GP missed it, insisted it was an allergy, when we tried to explain we didn't think so, he ignored us and kept pushing allergy, trying to prescribe hydrocortisone cream.

He was wrong, we were right, we left it,

anyway my son had a doctors appointment today, on an unrelated issue my wife mentioned he had been having night terrors. We're not worried about these, I had these till later on in life (7 years old or so) so I am not worried, he has them most night 5 or so on avg a week, Laura asked the doctor what we could do to help deal with it better. Not necessary to prevent it, but to help deal with it.

So he says it is normal. (fine) but he then prescribes a Antihistamine to make him drowsy at night and make him sleep.

I don't know what to think, I'm furious, for something which, causes not a problem, is quite normal he wants me to drug my son to make him sleep. I am not drugging my son and making him sleep, which means he will then not wake up for the bathroom or may even fall out of bed, I am furious a doctor would even consider this.

whats more is looking into it, I come across this
In both adults and children, night terrors may be caused by unresolved psychological conflicts, traumatic events or fatigue. In children, traumas such as the loss of a favorite toy, overhearing a loud argument between parents, watching scenes of violence on television or listening to frightening stories could trigger a night terror.
Particularly among adults, prescription drugs such as antihistamines, decongestants, levodopa, reserpine, beta blockers, and antidepressants, as well as withdrawal from addictive drugs, all can provoke sleep disturbance.
Treatment of Night Terrors
Night terrors in children usually disappear with adolescence, so standard medical treatment is not necessary.

I am just infuriated that he jumped the gun, he's gone right a head and is prescribing meds when chances are, they're not needed, and by reading this, may do more harm than good.

I am deciding whether I have grounds for an official complaint.. and if that is something I wish to do.. I am just infuriated with it all right now.

Comments

• Options
    Well, you have a choice, give him the antihisthamines, or not - the Dr is forcing you. What works for some people might not work for others, it just depends on your son and how the night terrors affect your family. I don't think you have a case for a complaint.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Well, you have a choice, give him the antihisthamines, or not - the Dr is forcing you. What works for some people might not work for others, it just depends on your son and how the night terrors affect your family. I don't think you have a case for a complaint.

Really, well apparently there is no legitimate reason to give them infact from what I can see, giving them can make night terrors worse.

Of course I am not going to give the meds to him.
  • Options
    i dont think you have cause for complaint either, sorry, If you dont want to sedate him, then dont do it, but at least youve got the medication there if you have a really bad night as an emergency.
    You asked for something to help his sleeping and he gave you pretty much the only thing he could have. Theres no medication to prevent nightmares.
    I think youre right to avoid using the medication if you dont have to though
  • Options
    maybe change doctor though?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    whats more is looking into it, I come across this

Where did you get this info from? A trusted source? Or not?
  • Options
    thing is, any medication has side effects. The amount of antidepressants that have a listed side effect as depression or suicidal feelings, is enormous.

If the antihistamine made your child worse (should you give them) there would be nothing stopping you from stopping giving them
  • Options
    It's disappointing that your GP immediately reverted to medication when what you were asking for was advice for dealing with a problem.

Like others have said though, if it's a case of him having problems sleeping, then an antihistamine, which is a fair way off the power of a sedative could be a helpful solution.

All medication comes with potential side effects so don't really think you've got ground for complaint on that front. If you did want to complain the line you'd have slightly more potential with is the 'we asked for advice and simply got pushed towards medication without trying anything else first'.
  • Options
    Yeah, We're not giving him an Antihistamine, HELL no... not even going there, I think it is the whole "asked for advice got pushed meds" that has made me mad, and what's more his sleeping isn't the problem, he sleeps fine apart from one night terror at night, last 10min and he is fast asleep again,

I am still raging, I'd change docs but he's not our registered GP, just one of the doctors there, I've spoken to laura and we'll just request appointments with other GP's when we need to see a doc.
  • Options
    doc's seem to think the best way to help you is to stick some meds down your throat. in my view meds r nt needed for everything.

:heart:
  • Options
    Hi i can see why your mad!! But i can also see why the dr thought it was a good idea.
    My advise is just like u said see a different doc when u make an appointment.x
  • Options
    Thanks, but I do not see why he jumped the gun, straight away.
  • Options
    I guess u will never know that! But thats probs what he is like so thats why i say if u don't like his methods go for new doc x
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    I guess u will never know that! But thats probs what he is like so thats why i say if u don't like his methods go for new doc x

Oh we are, thank you, I want to get some independent advice to find out whether what he did is legitimate or not. Just not sure where to get the advice from.
  • Options
    Why did you even mention it to the Dr if you didn't want to see what solution he had? You don't have cause to complain, you need to chillout, funnel your anger at whatever it is you're angry towards something else. Perhaps take the antihisthamine yourself?
  • Options
    Believe it or not drugs that can be used for certain ailments can also be used for things u would'nt even realise, so as in grounds for a complaint i don't really think u would have a leg to stand on because the most i would imagine that would happen to your son is make the problem worse, and that would that would just b a symptomatic after affect which most drugs carry the risk anyway.
    I think You must be a super parent and u only want the best treament, ( i know i am the same My daughter has a severe nut allergy).
    I would just let is go and put it down to an experience and learn from it. x
  • Options
    Why did you even mention it to the Dr if you didn't want to see what solution he had?

One, MY WIFE asked him and how the hell were we suppose to know all he would do would prescribe drugs for it? We asked for advice on how to make it easier for him, for example doing my own research, there are a few things we can do to help it.

1 - get him calmer before bed, hard to do with a three year old of course but we can try,

2 - lot of night terrors are also caused by over tiredness so maybe assessing his bedtime as well might be in order.

3 - Taking note of when these occur and waking the child a few minutes before this has been known to help the situation,

Everything we have read suggests that night terrors in children shouldn't need to be medicated. and only so in extreme cases after steps like the ones above have been tried and have not worked.

Okay, maybe I do not have cause for complaint, I was obviously angry last night and not thinking clearly, however I do have cause to be extremely pissed off that a supposed doctor would rather medicate than suggest any of the above, As I have said we will not be seeing him with my children any more.

Perhaps take the antihisthamine yourself?

You really are a condescending bitch at times aren't you. I have no idea why your not on my ignore list,

Flowergirl, thank you very much for your support. I know at first I may have been over reacting, It's just for something so minor they seem so quick to dish out the meds. It infuriates me
  • Options
    it would be really mean to file an official complaint for the guy when he was only trying to help. Doctors like prescribing things, some more than others. If you want advice on stuff youre better off looking on the internet or going to a health visitor, or maybe a sleep clinic
  • Options
    it would be really mean to file an official complaint for the guy when he was only trying to help. Doctors like prescribing things, some more than others. If you want advice on stuff youre better off looking on the internet or going to a health visitor, or maybe a sleep clinic

It's fine, I don't think I will be making a complaint, it is just the second time we've had a V bad experience with this doctor so I think We'll just use a different one.
  • Options
    Edit..

Essentially, I think you need to be careful with what you read on the internet. Take things with a pinch of salt etc.
  • Options
    I'm not a bitch, you're just being melodramatic, nothing wrong with taking a chill pill and maybe it would actually help you.
  • Options
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »

Thank you. I don't think I will but thank you ever so much.