Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what makes the magic flush on urinals work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
stupid question perhaps, but one that baffles me.

i have a literally shitty job of cleaning school toilets and a couple of classrooms after college. all time scummy job really but its convenient and the pay's alright.

however whenever i clean the stinky boys toilets and the urinals, im always puzzled as to how the urinals suddenly fountain water down at certain times? are they programmed to do this or does it happen at random? is there a sensor in them, because when im scrubbing and wiping them down, they fortunately never flush but as soon as i turn my back to walk out of the room, off they flush... sneaky urinals.

so basically, is there a mysterious science behind these urinals or is this thread just a product of my over active mind being bored and understimulated in a very solitary and depressing job?

Comments

• Options
    A very depressing and boring answer for your depressing job... there is a small sensor in the room somewhere that picks up movement and which causes a valve to open and let the water through to flush the urinals.... no one there to piss means no water is wasted to flush unused toilets... the sensors are similar to the ones used to detect burglars in a burglar alarm system... boring eh? :)

R.
  • Options
    There are different kinds. But mostly there is a laser on one wall and an a reflector on the other, so that a laser beam is projected in front of the urinals where you'll usually stand to pee. If you finish peeing and you leave the laser again so it has contact again, it flushes.
  • Options
    stupid question perhaps, but one that baffles me.

i have a literally shitty job of cleaning school toilets and a couple of classrooms after college. all time scummy job really but its convenient and the pay's alright.

however whenever i clean the stinky boys toilets and the urinals, im always puzzled as to how the urinals suddenly fountain water down at certain times? are they programmed to do this or does it happen at random? is there a sensor in them, because when im scrubbing and wiping them down, they fortunately never flush but as soon as i turn my back to walk out of the room, off they flush... sneaky urinals.

so basically, is there a mysterious science behind these urinals or is this thread just a product of my over active mind being bored and understimulated in a very solitary and depressing job?

Anything interesting written on the boys and girls walls then?
  • Options
    Anything interesting written on the boys and girls walls then?

'Some come here to sit and think, some come here to shit and stink, but I come here to scratch my balls and read the writing on the walls'

---Brighton public lavs---
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Some have timers, other sensors.

Ours had times, as our school was cheap.
  • Options
    "Don't look here, the joke is in your hands"
    -written in the bathroom at the bijou theater.:lol:
  • Options
    Yeah the ones at work have no sophisticated "laser"s or anything, they just trickle-fill with water, then flush when the cistern is full up.
  • Options
    I thought it was done by Toilet Worker Pixies or TWIXES for short. They usually hang around in pairs :)

Plural - Twix
    Singular - Twick ?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I thought it was done by Toilet Worker Pixies or TWIXES for short. They usually hang around in pairs :)

Plural - Twix
    Singular - Twick ?
    it is Twick, my mate Tony is a Toilet Worker Pixie, he is very proud of himself, says he is offering a great service to the community! :p
  • Options
    They also have tiny buttons on the side. :yes: I push those as I don't want any chances of my pee being seen by others.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    They also have tiny buttons on the side. :yes: I push those as I don't want any chances of my pee being seen by others.

:thumb:

Yes. That would be terrible.