Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uk have worst youths in EU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if you've seen the news you will know that the UK has just been given the title of the worst youths in the UK
GRHH!
but we have different attitudes on alcohol many european countries give younger children a drink of wine with a meal so you dont get the rebelious explosion of under age drinking
we are youngest people to have sex, but EU countries have a better sex education programme that teachs kids earlier, etc
and this country has no provision for young people! so no wonder, but this isn't young peoples fault but the government!
dont blame teenagers but the lack of education and legislation

Comments

• Options
    In England, 45% of 15-year-old boys spend most evenings out with their friends, and in Scotland the figure is 59%.

In France just 17% of boys spend their time in the same way.

On the other hand, European teenagers tend to sit down for meals with their parents far more often.

Shock, horror - young Brits have social life.

Kind of ironic when you read about stuff like this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6096706.stm

Good to know young French lads are having a nice meal at home before they go and make war on the police
  • Options
    Depends whether you call it a social life, i mean standing on street knocking back gallons of cider and throwing rocks at windows is hardly a good thing. If they are out in snooker centres or arcades or something, then its a different story of course.
  • Options
    Yeah but if there was more for young people to do they probably wouldnt get into booze sex and drugs at such young ages. Its because they are introduced to these things at a young age it interfears with education a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Yeah but if there was more for young people to do they probably wouldnt get into booze sex and drugs at such young ages. Its because they are introduced to these things at a young age it interfears with education a lot of the time.

Well, kids have been drinking n shit for ages underage. And taking drugs.

As you say though - there is little for youngsters to do, and parents these das are mostly less concerned - letting children of any age stay out until whenever.

I often see under 16's outside the local shops (SPAR and a COOP) asking for someone to buy them fags. At like, 9-10pm. 10 yearolds and less.

I was NEVER allowed out then at that age. Seems alot of parents just don't give a shit though.
  • Options
    Shock, horror - young Brits have social life.

Going out every night and standing on a street corner doesn't qualify as a social life.

Going out every night instead of concentrating on studying or on work is not desirable.

The figures from other countries also mask the fact that most of Europe is still arable or semi-arable- teenagers in most of Europe would be expected to help on the farm rather than pissing their time away on street corners with a catering-sized pack of Strongbow.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The figures from other countries also mask the fact that most of Europe is still arable or semi-arable- teenagers in most of Europe would be expected to help on the farm rather than pissing their time away on street corners with a catering-sized pack of Strongbow.

You're kidding, right? the statistics don't seem to agree with you.

http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/agrista/2004/table_en/3513.pdf

The highest % of population working on farms in Latvia at 18.7% of the pop. Outside the old Eastern Bloc countries its Greece with 16.3. Others include France is 4.3%, Germany 2.4%, Belgium 1.7%. Admittedly the UK is the smallest with 1.2%. Across the EU its 5.2%.

The figures don't mask anything of the kind you're suggesting.
  • Options
    Others include France is 4.3%...Admittedly the UK is the smallest with 1.2%.

That's quite a big difference, isn't it?

Most of France is agricultural, a cursory glance at a map tells you that much.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That's quite a big difference, isn't it?

Most of France is agricultural, a cursory glance at a map tells you that much.

Yes, but a quick glimpse at the stats says most of the people aren't involved in farming, so land use is pretty irrelevant to the discussion. A difference of around 4.3% vs 1.2% employed in agriculture doesn't mask a difference of 45% of English lads out with their friends vs 17% of French.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Many kids don't have a family life in this country. They don't have meals together, it's just a microwave meal on the lap in front of East bloody enders.
    this is what the media portrays, dont get me wrong it happens but there are also hundreds of families that still sit at the table regularly
    J wrote:
    Kids eyes are being opened to the temptations of the world too young and they have no strong will to fall back on.
    this has happened but thing is if the government did a decent job of stopping drug trafficing, then these 'temptations' wouldn't be there. or if the giovernment started an effective early drug awareness campaign!
    J wrote:
    Personaly I blame the chaos of society for this.
    what 'chaos'?

wheres the positive side of young people in the media, oh i forgot good news stories dont sell!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Going out every night and standing on a street corner doesn't qualify as a social life.
    if nothing is provided for young people by the local council/government, then where else are they going to go!
    Kermit wrote:
    Going out every night instead of concentrating on studying or on work is not desirable.
    do you study/work every single night of the week? people are allowed to let their hair down,
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh of course you can only get alcohol in the cities, how could i forget!
    on mainland europe there is a more liberal attitude of having wine/alcohol with a meal, so when they get to the age of being able to be served in pubs etc. they don't binge drink because it is a social part of their culture but we don't have this so as soon as a teenager can get alcohol (illegal and frowned upon) the rebellious factor comes in and they can't get enough of it ergo binge drinking
    also the most drunks you found stumbling home from an night out and making fights for the craic are usually the 40 year old male, whos got nothing better to do!
  • Options
    if nothing is provided for young people by the local council/government, then where else are they going to go!

Why on earth should something be provided for them?
    on mainland europe there is a more liberal attitude of having wine/alcohol with a meal

You can legally drink wine in a restaurant at the age of 14, if you are with your parents...

[from memory that is...]
  • Options

So you'd rather we let youngsters sit in the park getting drunk every night than provide somewhere for them to go and do stuff that's better for them?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So you'd rather we let youngsters sit in the park getting drunk every night than provide somewhere for them to go and do stuff that's better for them?

I'd rather that they did a whole lot of other things, TBH but it's the word provide that is important there. What are the other options?
  • Options
    Are there even any more options?
  • Options
    Yes. Think about it.

Provide suggests a specific type of relationship. Why should that be the case?
  • Options
    because thats the purposes of government.
    You can legally drink wine in a restaurant at the age of 14, if you are with your parents...
    do you go out for a meal every night?
  • Options

The government does not have a duty to 'provide' entertainment to teenagers so they don't stand around on street corners. Unless you have some pretty exceptional needs you have to be a very pathetic individual to expect the government to do everything for you. How about they get a part time job instead? Or make their own entertainment?

And the tired 'they have nowhere else to go' excuse for anti-social behaviour is insulting. Plenty of teenagers live in boring places without much on and most don't cause trouble. (And even where there is a lot on you'll find the local twats causing trouble at McDonald's or the cinema or whatever). And when the council does do 'something' they get their fingers burnt. Our local council spent thousands a few years ago on a skate ramp; it was vandalised and pretty soon the object of some pathetic 'turf war' between 16 year old rudes.
  • Options
    Unless you have some pretty exceptional needs you have to be a very pathetic individual to expect the government to do everything for you.

What do you mean by "everything?" Do you think a bunch of teens can build their own facilities?
    How about they get a part time job instead?

Oh yes, the part-time job, the panacea of all anti-social behaviour. I had a part-time job, whenever I was free I still fucked about on the streets.
    Or make their own entertainment?

How exactly? Mucking about the streets, smoking blow with your mates is the only entertainment they have. And again, do you really expect them to build their own community centre?
    And the tired 'they have nowhere else to go' excuse for anti-social behaviour is insulting. Plenty of teenagers live in boring places without much on and most don't cause trouble. (And even where there is a lot on you'll find the local twats causing trouble at McDonald's or the cinema or whatever). And when the council does do 'something' they get their fingers burnt. Our local council spent thousands a few years ago on a skate ramp; it was vandalised and pretty soon the object of some pathetic 'turf war' between 16 year old rudes.

That just shows how stupid the council are, of all the louts I see on the street I bet none of them are even half interested in skateboarding. How about a supervised centre with arcade games and pool tables?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What do you mean by "everything?" Do you think a bunch of teens can build their own facilities?

Teenagers don't have a 'right' to free arcade games and pool tables.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Oh yes, the part-time job, the panacea of all anti-social behaviour. I had a part-time job, whenever I was free I still fucked about on the streets.

Well it's better than whinging about wanting the government to build facilities.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    How about a supervised centre with arcade games and pool tables?

And who's going to pay for that?
  • Options
    Teenagers don't have a 'right' to free arcade games and pool tables.

Aye and OAP's don't have the "right" for a free bus to take them to the bingo hall every Wednesday, doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Well it's better than whinging about wanting the government to build facilities.

Is that all you can come up with? Well I'm sorry if you lived in a comfy middle class area with a silver spoon in your mouth but others haven't so wise up.
    And who's going to pay for that?

Leprachauns :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Well I'm sorry if you lived in a comfy middle class area with a silver spoon in your mouth but others haven't so wise up.

Do comfy middle class areas have youth centres with free arcade games and pool tables?
  • Options
    Do comfy middle class areas have youth centres with free arcade games and pool tables?

No but as you know there is a strong link between crime/anti-social behaviour and poverty.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The fact that us Brits like drinking is hardly news.

When I was younger we used to scrape enough together to get pissed and stoned. We didn't have many place to go so we hung around in public, still I think we were far more sociable than the kids sitting in with square eyes on their playstaions.
    If you don't want to see kids hanging around in public give them somewhere to go.

Disillusioned, you said these kids should be entertaining themselves, how?

I can tell you the reason I got into scrapes with the law as a kid, and the reason I started using drugs was because I was extremely bored. Living in a village as I do, there really wasn't anything except a youth club once a week put on by the local church. This had kids from 8-16 and involved lots of prayer - thrilling!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

No it isn't

do you go out for a meal every night?

Do you have to drink alcohol every night?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Do you think a bunch of teens can build their own facilities?

Why can't they?

Or alternatively why can't they raise the money to do what they want instead of expecting everything to be laid on a plate?

It's a thought. Instead of moaning that nothing is provided for you, how about putting some effort into getting what you want? What is wrong with that concept?
    That just shows how stupid the council are, of all the louts I see on the street I bet none of them are even half interested in skateboarding.

So, when something is provided, it isn't good enough...?
  • Options
    Why can't they?

Maybe it's just me but I don't know many teens who have the skills and access to resource to carry out such a task.
    Or alternatively why can't they raise the money to do what they want instead of expecting everything to be laid on a plate?

Raise the money? Do you know how much it costs to build youth centres?
    It's a thought. Instead of moaning that nothing is provided for you, how about putting some effort into getting what you want? What is wrong with that concept?

Nothing but surely you can remember the days of being a teenager. Personal resbonsibility is the last thing on your agenda.
    So, when something is provided, it isn't good enough...?

It's not good enough when you don't think of the people you're supposed to be targeting. How many yobs do you see going about in skateboards? And alternatively, how many skateboarders do you see vandalising the community for lack of park?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Maybe it's just me but I don't know many teens who have the skills and access to resource to carry out such a task.

I don't know many (and I include myself at that age) who can be bothered to learn. That's more the issue I think.
    Raise the money? Do you know how much it costs to build youth centres?

Yep. It takes some effort, ingenuity and patience. Are you suggesting that teens aren't capable?
    Personal resbonsibility is the last thing on your agenda.

Which is kind of my point... ;)
    It's not good enough when you don't think of the people you're supposed to be targeting.

Yes, the people who can't be arsed to do it themselves, don't really know what they want but will complain about anything you do build for them...

Not much different from the rest of society really...
    How many yobs do you see going about in skateboards? And alternatively, how many skateboarders do you see vandalising the community for lack of park?

Enough that they asked for a park, then didn't use it. Locally that is.
    It's the thrill of using ordinary objects and getting chased away I guess. Can't replicate that in a park very easily.
  • Options

I don't think anyone's asking for that. (I'm certainly not)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The biggest reason why some kids are anti social, why some like to drink, and hang around in ublic areas is boredom. What's the answer to that though?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote:
    The biggest reason why some kids are anti social, why some like to drink, and hang around in ublic areas is boredom. What's the answer to that though?

I have no idea. Not being one of afformentioned antisocial youths, I wouldn't. Perhaps we should ask them what they want to do, what they want in the area. Some of them can't afford things like cinema or shit all the time - so its difficult.

Me and my mates when skint and bored, we just sit around, chat shit with each other, pass the time of day. We don't go be violent and destructive. And it seems when provided with things like a Skate Park, etc, they just vandalise and fuck it up.

So, what do we do? How do we stop them being destructive?