Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Invitation to the Politics & Debate section of the site

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    z0ma wrote: »
    thanks for the invitation - now i have your permission to post i feel a lot more comfortable about the whole thing

chortle
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I adopt almost a tabloid tone when doing these things - it tends to provoke the criticism that I sound like a "Daily Mail switchboard". Yet in the very next sentence, these same people complain about my use of the C-word, something which the aforementioned daily doesn't especially like itself. Regardless, I do indeed get some of the better debates going, and I intend to continue doing that...

i think i would visit the politics board more if the c-word wasn't used in almost every post because i find it a bit offensive.
  • Options
    Whilst I personally dont think the word is anymore offensive than calling someone a flibbering busy body, I do understand where you are coming from.
  • Options
    i think it's just a really unpleasant word that shouldn't really be used in everyday conversation.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    i think it's just a really unpleasant word that shouldn't really be used in everyday conversation.

yeah i hate the c u next tuesday word.
  • Options
    I usually don't post in there because I don't want to be personally insulted because of my views as someone who isn't all that interested in politics.
  • Options
    Hmmm

I've posted a few times, but yeah agree with what many people have said in this thread.

I find it a bit too aggressive... And I dunno... I kinda see that if someone doesn't completely understand something and then says something a little bit wrong, people jump on that. And meh, I've done debating competitions IRL, but the politics and debate section of thesite is just somewhere that I don't really feel totally comfortable. I'll try and give it more of a go though.
  • Options
    As with any debate it can become heated but it never pruports to be one of those banal and frankly dull "OMG lk at da pics ov my nu kttn!!1!1lolz" threads. Whoever likened it to a boxing ring is quite correct - debate is intellectual sparring. Not to say that you should be a heavyweight to enter the ring but if you come in without being able to construct a reasoned argument then you run the risk of getting hurt.

I do enjoy P&D (I read more than I post as my laptop is dead) and have had some very memorable debates. Sure, people can get passionate, vitriolic and occasionally downright offensive but it shows that people genuinely care about what they choose to comment on.

As the strapline reads 'but who's right?'; the point is that nobody is right. 99% of the enjoyment garnered from the debating process is the journey, not the conclusion as, invariably, there isn't one. Unless of course Godwin's Law is invoked in which case, by the rules of t'iterweb, you lose.

All I know is that this place would be very boring, at least for me, without P&D.