Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laws Resigns.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, David Laws has resigned in an expenses scandal.

Any chance we can stop referring to MPs as "honourable" now?

Comments

• Options
    Might this have anything to do with his refusal to appear on Question Time on Thursday night?

It looks like Cameron is going to be just as gutless as Brown was when it came to MPs who were cheating taxpayers out of money. New politics, my arse.
  • Options
    It seems the case that most MPs still don't get it, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Personally I think this is a shame, yes he shouldn't have made the claims but by the look of it he did it because he didn't want others to know he was gay rather than for personal profit.

I know those who do wrong have to go, but if we have no tolerance for mistakes we will never have those in politics making brave decisions.
  • Options
    Dishonest, yes.

Dishonourable... only if he was claiming more in rent than he would have been able to claim for the mortgage had he bought the house.

The way he set things up if he died the other chap would keep the house, without there being any paper trail linking them - other than lodger and landlord.

I can't blame him for wanting to keep his sexuality out of the tabloids.

I should imagine he's relieved it's over - he must have felt under the sword of Damocles ever since the coalition started.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Might this have anything to do with his refusal to appear on Question Time on Thursday night?

It looks like Cameron is going to be just as gutless as Brown was when it came to MPs who were cheating taxpayers out of money. New politics, my arse.

In hindsight it does seem likely...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It seems the case that most MPs still don't get it, doesn't it?

To be fair, this isn't expenses from the current session of Parliament.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Dishonourable... only if he was claiming more in rent than he would have been able to claim for the mortgage had he bought the house.

Would it be honourable for me to rent half the house to my wife and for her to claim Housing Benefit for it?
    I can't blame him for wanting to keep his sexuality out of the tabloids.

Me neither. Just not at my expense.
  • Options
    If I claimed housing benefit for a place owned by a partner, I'd get fucked if I got caught, it's nothing to do with sexuality and every thing to do with playing the system and getting away with it.
  • Options
    Gotta say, whilst I understand why it's a difficult thing to be honest about sexuality, wouldn't the honest thing just have been to have rented somewhere else?

Or if he was renting then started a relationship, just move out?

Or just not claim the expenses? It's not like he's on a small salary so if he was so afraid of the relationship becoming public why not avoid claiming?

Seems to me that while he doesn't seem a bad person there are a significant number of alternative choices they both could have made, just none of them involved making a profit.

But yeah, like Katralla says, it feels like a rich politician doing this is seen as honourable, when someone on a council estate does it then they make TV adverts insulting them and talk about how disgraceful and criminal they are.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If I claimed housing benefit for a place owned by a partner, I'd get fucked if I got caught, it's nothing to do with sexuality and every thing to do with playing the system and getting away with it.

^ This. It's all been cleverly spun out as some tragic, forcibly closeted gay man trying to hide his sexuality so he can keep his job, family etc. When he's just a thieving shit.

How the fuck do you hide your relationship/sexuallity from people by renting A ROOM at £950/month from the guy your knobbing ?
  • Options
    The hosing benefit examples aren't valid, because MPs are entitled to claim for their accommodation regardless of the employment of their partners. That this is unfair doesn't affect the matter at hand.

The rule was put in place to stop MPs making a profit on the expenses by paying more rent than the mortgage actually cost - because, you know, a lot of them were thieving bastards. So while breaking the letter of the rule, he wouldn't have been breaking the spirit of the rule f he only claimed as much as he would have been able to had he claimed it as the mortgage.
  • Options
    On the Andrew Marr show this morning, when legislation was brought in in 2006 i think, MPs cannot pay rent for accomodation belonging to their partner.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    How the fuck do you hide your relationship/sexuallity from people by renting A ROOM at £950/month from the guy your knobbing ?

A room + shared areas of the house times two, at London rates - doesn't seem too outrageous.

I'm not quite sure how he got away with renting two rooms in two houses though.
  • Options
    The hosing benefit examples aren't valid, because MPs are entitled to claim for their accommodation regardless of the employment of their partners. That this is unfair doesn't affect the matter at hand

Except they are perfectly valid.

He was living with his partner. Paying him rent, as a landlord. Then claiming for it.

Do you know of any other loving relationship where one partner charges the other rent when cohabiting?

Fine, if they'd had joint tenancy or joint mortgage then an expense claim would have been acceptable. This is taxpayers bunging his boyfriend a few quid.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    This is taxpayers bunging his boyfriend a few quid.

Only if more money was paid this way than would have been the other.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Seems to me that while he doesn't seem a bad person there are a significant number of alternative choices they both could have made, just none of them involved making a profit.

Was a profit made?
  • Options
    Only if more money was paid this way than would have been the other.

About £950 per month was being paid more than should have.

You don't rent a room from the person you are cohabiting with. Expense rules also outlawed it.

I really can understand him trying to hide a relationship because there is still too much stigma attached (although it's worth noting that this is portrayed as a financial scandal and not a sex scandal, so there's progress) but what I cannot accept is that I should pay for that.

He was in a relationship here not a contractual arrangement.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    You don't rent a room from the person you are cohabiting with. Expense rules also outlawed it.
    The rule was put in place to stop MPs making a profit on the expenses by paying more rent than the mortgage actually cost

The suggestion you keep making is that he shouldn't have been claiming anything. This isn't the case.
  • Options
    The suggestion you keep making is that he shouldn't have been claiming anything. This isn't the case.

Yes it is, in this instance.

Had he been living alone, been named on a lease or been named on the mortgage then he could claim. He wasn't any of those.

He was living at his boyfriends house. He could still claim food etc, but not rent.
  • Options
    When you look at who paid the depost on the properties, are you sure it was really the boyfriends house?
  • Options
    When you look at who paid the depost on the properties, are you sure it was really the boyfriends house?

If it wasn't then the rent claim is still false.
  • Options
    I've already said it was dishonest, the issue I'm interested in is whether it was dishonourable.

You're claiming you paying money you shouldn't have paid - I don't know if that's the case.

Had they been honest, and done it properly, how much would they have claimed?
  • Options
    Do you think that taking money from the taxpayer, under false pretences, is honourable?
  • Options
    Where that same money could be taken honestly then I don't see it as dishonourable.
  • Options
    Where that same money could be taken honestly then I don't see it as dishonourable.

He lied. That's not honourable, not by any definition.

You talk about the same money (or more) being claimed another way. Fact is that he didn't choose another way, he chose one which isn't allowed whether gay or straight.

He wasn't a tenant and he wasn't the house owner. That means he could not claim so the actual amount he could have claimed per month was £0. He actually claimed £950 per month. I'd say that was a tidy profit for the benefit of his boyfriend. I really can't see how that could even be close to being called "Honourable"
  • Options
    You choose not to see the point, so there's no point continuing to discuss with you.
  • Options
    You choose not to see the point, so there's no point continuing to discuss with you.

What point? That he could have done this honestly and claimed similar amounts? Of course he could.

But that isn't what he did, is it?

ETA The honourable thing to do, if he wanted to hide his relationship, is not to have claimed.
  • Options
    Yes, that's the point.

Undeniably, it would have been dishonourable to have done so in order to claim more - which is why the rule was changed.

To claim the same amount, I don't think so.
  • Options
    It's bullshit, a blatent fiddle.
  • Options
    That's what I've not been able to find out - whether it was a fiddle or just an evasion of the truth.

He's a dishonest coward, but is he a thief?