Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

network cable

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I made a couple of cables up, should the wires be the same both ends, or should I have crossed one end over?

current order is brown whitebrown orange whiteblue blue whiteorange green whitegreen

I think.

Comments

• Options
    Depends on if you want a normal cable (eg switch to network card) or a crossover cable (network card to network card).

To be honest you rarely need a crossover these days, most network cards will auto-detect if they need to flip the channels.
  • Options
    switch to computer.

It might be my mates computer to be fair, or I could have got two cables completely wrong. It may have been my first go, but I'm not sure I'm that retarded.
  • Options
    For switch to computer, it'd be straight through.
  • Options
    that's what I've done. maybe it's her computer...
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    current order is brown whitebrown orange whiteblue blue whiteorange green whitegreen

Sounds right for straight thru.
  • Options
    yeah that's t568a standard, most commonly used in industry is t568b which should go orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown.......but as long as they're the same at both ends then either will work.....you could check that all the pairs are showing clearly at the end of the rj-45 (this is usually the cause of a dodgy cable), and that it's crimped down properly, easy to check if you have a cable tester, otherwise just chop the ends off and try again, IME it's most likely the cable and not the pc........lol can you guess what i do for a living?