Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Would you be worried about this accomodation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, for uni, they've really put me out in the sticks...

I'm in this place called Sycamore Cottage, (there are two cottages) and it says about the cottages: "two cottages on the site have been converted to provide two single rooms for undergraduates and a small flat for a resident dean or tutor in one cottage and six single rooms in the other"

Why am I worried that I'm going to be with some unsociable bookworm/s and going to be bloody miserable? Everyone says how great the experience of living in halls is, but looks like I'm not exactly going to get that. I don't know, too early to complain really.... what would you guys think though if you were with a dean and one other person outside the rest of the campus???
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I just started last week, and this freshers week has been Fucking Awesome Man!
    I live in a 21 floor tower block, a hall of residence on campus. The SU bar's underneath it and there's been a party on at least one floor every night.
    Tbh, you're accom sounds pretty sucky, but give it a chance.

If you can make friends with people from a different hall, you can party with them.
    If not, tbh, I'd think about moving personally.
  • Options
    Haha, "that pesky dean", there is no way I'd want to live in such close quarters with one ever again. They might be nice but then again if they're anything like our resident nosy parker in halls, Catfish, then they could also be a humourless twat who ran around screaming that he was going to get everyone "done" if they dared to raise their voice above a whisper. I miss him :(

That said, I assume you filled out a preferences questionnaire when you applied for accomodation, so maybe this is genuinely the kind of living arrangement they see as being most suited your specification. I'd give it a chance and see; if you're very unhappy and unsuited then you could look into changing halls... a lot of people dropped out in my first couple of weeks and people moved into their rooms. It's not all set in stone just yet.

It is not really in the spirit of this thread; but I'd just like to say that the freshers here are doing my tits in this year. They have descended on Newcastle like a plague of locusts. But maybe I'm just bitter because I amn't one anymore :p
  • Options
    I was stupid and put I'd prefer a quiet area, as thought I didn't want some guy blaring heavy metal music out next door till 4 in the morning.

I'll have to see how it goes...
  • Options
    i don't think you'll have a chance of being moved in that case.
  • Options
    You're probably kicking yourself but a month down the line you'll be grateful for the peace and quiet. I was in a party flat which had it's novelty for all of five minutes. It's great for the first few weeks but you grow sick of being woken in the early hours and having people trying to kick your door down!!

Depends on the person mind.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It is not really in the spirit of this thread; but I'd just like to say that the freshers here are doing my tits in this year. They have descended on Newcastle like a plague of locusts. But maybe I'm just bitter because I amn't one anymore :p

Same with Manchester... I'm sick of going in my favourite club and all the students gong 'So, what are you studying?' ERR, I'M NOT AT UNI, I LIVE HERE :|:|:|
  • Options
    when i lived at home i loved the winter coz theres no uni in Watford, and it was just regulars in town. Come the summer you start having to que half hour to get into each club coz all the students are back
  • Options
    when i lived at home i loved the winter coz theres no uni in Watford, and it was just regulars in town. Come the summer you start having to que half hour to get into each club coz all the students are back
  • Options
    have you actually been given the location of it? because it could be a cottage, thats actually in the city centre, or it could be 5 miles out of the city. find out quickly!
  • Options
    have you actually been given the location of it? because it could be a cottage, thats actually in the city centre, or it could be 5 miles out of the city. find out quickly!

I know exactly where it is :). Just over the road, bout 5 mins walk to the centre of campus. About 30 seconds to the edge of campus :p.

I'm sure when there I can find someone elses flat to have parties in :D just saves me doing the tidying up!! At least one person I'm staying in the cottage with is female... so at least it's not 6 boys (in which I would die) because by rare chance I found them on derwent college's forums!
  • Options
    Same with Manchester... I'm sick of going in my favourite club and all the students gong 'So, what are you studying?' ERR, I'M NOT AT UNI, I LIVE HERE :|:|:|

i kept getting people assuming i was a fresher. i'm the age of a fourth year. :crying:

but yeh i understand why people might be annoyed about students gatecrashing. i know a lot of places do student only nights which is a bit unfair.
  • Options
    First year accomodation for me was all about parties parties parties! I was lucky enough to be placed in a block with some really sound people, some wankers too but fuck them.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    That'll be me next year :o
  • Options
    It doesn't sound too bad. Realistically you'd only know the people on your corridoor in halls anyway, so you'll get to know all the people on your cottage site and 5 mins is really close to the campus, specially when the campus is that big, 35 mins vs 30 mins doesn't make much difference.

Think about it like a flat like loads of undergrads live in in halls, it's no different really.
  • Options
    Eden's Court is a good place to live. Just be grateful that you didn't get put in Goodricke or Langwith :p

(For people who put in for quiet accommodation, they usually get assigned Goodricke D Block, which is like a prison. The corridors are about 70cm wide and painted hospital green. The bedrooms are the size of a double bed if you are lucky. Not that you get a double bed. I mean that the size of the room is a double bed.)
  • Options
    Eden's Court is a good place to live. Just be grateful that you didn't get put in Goodricke or Langwith :p

Or Derwent! They were ming :sour:
  • Options
    ... and by Derwent, you mean the accommodation rather than being a member of the college :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote:
    I'd give it a chance and see; if you're very unhappy and unsuited then you could look into changing halls... a lot of people dropped out in my first couple of weeks and people moved into their rooms. It's not all set in stone just yet.

:yes: and from what you say about the location shyboy, it doesn't sound half bad :). You've probably read this before: making friends at freshers week but it's worth bearing in mind in the run up to starting. Very exciting.
  • Options
    with the internet I've already met loads of friends through www.univillage.com and www.thestudentroom.com who are in the same college / doing the same course / in the same area as me. Everyone seems really friendly and eager to make friends just like me :)

But I was looing forward to sleeping on the kitchen table because I was too drunk to stumble to my room kinda thing. But hopefully I can find someone who'll let me sleep on theirs :D
  • Options
    ... and by Derwent, you mean the accommodation rather than being a member of the college :)
    Hahaha, oh yeah, the accomodation.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the actual college, well, at least, I never heard Jimmy complain about out. His mates had little geeky Derwent hoodies :lol:

Saying that though, I have a uni hoodie :chin:
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about that sort of accommodation at York. The campus is small enough and everyone's close enough around that you'll have plenty of people to talk to and party with. Plus seriously in a few weeks once the work starts piling up you'll be greatful of somewhere quiet to disappear to and get ya head down.

Might see ya around the campus though from time to time when I head over to see my fella there.
  • Options
    i want a university hoodie but my actual home is only 30 miles away so i'd just look really silly wearing a jumper for a uni 30 miles away.
  • Options
    i want a university hoodie but my actual home is only 30 miles away so i'd just look really silly wearing a jumper for a uni 30 miles away.
    i have a baby blue 'leeds uni' hoody :D make sure you get one before you leave.