Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefits etc

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Louisek wrote: »
    Because when the benefits were first put into place a family could rent a council house for the equivalent in todays money of lets say 80 pounds a week this meant that most working familys could pay the rent, if dad lost his job then the benefits would kick in and help the family for a few months until dad was working again. Even if they had to claim long term it was a much smaller amount than today.

Today that family are forced to rent from a private landlord probably paying around 800 pound a month, of course the average family can not afford that so the benefits are now paid long term and much much larger amounts than before.

So you see the way benefits are paid has changed from the way they were designed to work, this is not the claimants fault, but poor goverment decisions are to blame

So we agree then.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    So we agree then.

I agree they are paid long term, but my point is that they were never meant to be
  • Options
    To change the benefits back to being short term in many cases would mean more affordable housing and available jobs that pay enough to afford them. Like you say, housing is expensive now and the difference in earnings between rich and poor is widening. I don't think the benefit 'problem' can be 'solved' in isolation, without all the other contributing factors.
  • Options
    To change the benefits back to being short term in many cases would mean more affordable housing and available jobs that pay enough to afford them. Like you say, housing is expensive now and the difference in earnings between rich and poor is widening. I don't think the benefit 'problem' can be 'solved' in isolation, without all the other contributing factors.

You are spot on, the whole situation has been caused by the lack of cheap social housing because it was all sold off by the consevatives. I can't see anyway back from that now.
  • Options
    You are spot on, the whole situation has been caused by the lack of cheap social housing because it was all sold off by the consevatives. I can't see anyway back from that now.

The other consequence of this is that social housing is now rationed to those most in need, which results in a segregation.
  • Options
    "Imagine if tomorrow the whole world went on strike, not just British Rail but the whole world. Who would earn their profits who would make their bombs, you would see the hands of oppresion fumble as their systems crash to the ground. The responsibility you must bear when its your own future in your own hands may be a tough one to live up to, but at least you would own yourself".

Paul Weller
    Is he no longer a Tory then?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Is he no longer a Tory then?

Surely he was never a Tory? I researched him, his beliefs and his lryics as part of a study into the politics of the 70's and 80's
  • Options
    Benefits should be a safety net, not an alternative to work. People relying on them as an interim or supplement is not the problem, it's the institutional dependency that is.

And before the fucking bleeding hearts start piping up with the "it's the system's fault" bullshit, I don't buy in to that for one fucking minute. Whilst not all claimants are scroungers who can't be fucked to work, some are. It is with those that I take umbrage.

I think many people would agree with that, but the problem is that it leads to the idea that people on benefits need to prove that they are genuine, often by fitting into a certain criteria. I can see why people think that would prevent people cheating the system, but the more rigid the criteria is the easier it is to learn and make sure you fit into. It's often those who are genuine that suffer because they can't tick all the right boxes, and they don't lie about it, at least not at first.
    As pathetic as this sounds, and it is absolutely no excuse, when you are expected to fit in with such a stupid system you lose all respect for it, so you forget the moral aspect.
  • Options
    Would it be unresonable for those that are fit to work to be required to do so many hours of work in the community each week.
    Gardening, decorating for the elderly or disabled that kind of thing im sure there are a whole range of jobs that could be found it could even be tailored to the persons relevant skills in some cases.
    Ths would at least save money within the system as the local councils would save money.
    I think that in the states you have to take part in this kind of scheme to get benefits. Plus you would not get out of the work habit or lose any work ethic that you may have had before.
  • Options
    ... and put decorators, gardeners etc out of work...
  • Options
    Not everyone can afford to hire professionals though, im thinking of the elderly and disabled who cant manage on their own, no gardener would spend a couple of hours just helping some old dear in the garden. Plus there are lots of other things im sure.
  • Options
    I think that for people who are able to work should volunteer while they're claiming benefits, as long as the hours are reasonable and carers or disabled people aren't expected to, especially now. There are a lot of things that people could do, not just for charities but maybe for small business who could use extra help but can't afford to pay someone right now. It seems to be a complete waste of time to have people doing nothing other than applying for jobs they won't get when they could be gaining experience and learning new skills.
    I know that everyone knows this, but when people say they'd be better off on benefits they mean financially rather than in any other sense. I think a lot of people, even if they come from families who don't work, would rather feel proud of something than live off other people's money, even if they don't know it until they try it. Most children can see hear their parents talking about what they did at work, even if it's just that someone said something interesting. If your parents haven't worked, you might not see the positive aspects to it, so you'll need to experience it for yourself.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    ... and put decorators, gardeners etc out of work...

But at least there'd be skilled people doing LouiseK's plan ;)

(Which actually isn't wholly bad)
  • Options
    I think that for people who are able to work should volunteer while they're claiming benefits, [..] small business who could use extra help but can't afford to pay someone right now.
    We gave someone a 25% pay rise when they handed their notice in. Businesses pay as little s they can get away with, which is why the minimum wage is a good thing
    I know that everyone knows this, but when people say they'd be better off on benefits they mean financially rather than in any other sense.
    I'd be better off on benefits, apart from financially.
  • Options
    Would it be unresonable for those that are fit to work to be required to do so many hours of work in the community each week.

Yes. Because even though I have a job, albeit part-time, but a job nonetheless, I would still be forced into doing something like this. Since when did being unemployed but being fit for work turn into slave labour? That is EXACTLY what Labour is currently doing with New Deal. You have to work in a charity for X amount of weeks, then if need be, the rest of your 3 month term in a commercial environment... working for your job seekers.

This comes back to breaking the system and getting away with it. I know a few members of my family don't do these New Deal courses for 3 months, but their money doesn't get stopped, I never turned up for one day (Due to illness for the record) during my first set and I got disciplined with losing £100 (2 weeks worth of JSA). Which put me in a WORSE situation because I had to borrow money to go onto these fucking job placements!

I'm currently working as I said, I have a contract of 14 hours, but at the moment my hours are fluctuating between 6/8/14 a week, I get maybe the full amount once a month if I'm needed.

Now because I'm part-time, I'm still classed as unemployed by the Job Centre, so they class me as having ALL the time in the world to look for jobs. I don't want to find another job, I just need the SUPPORT for when my hours dip below X of my contractual hours, otherwise I can't pay my debts! So they top up my money.

I stuck to the system, did what they wanted, NOW I GET NOTHING. I still sign on and have since January (Got the job through the job centre themselves and got offered the job in December) but I don't get any money from them! I've been living off nearly £20-£25 a WEEK since January.

And in 2 weeks time I am being sent on these courses, guess what they want me to do? Work full-time for my Job seekers (Which I'm NOT getting right now!) and then work my REAL job on the weekends so it doesn't interrupt with the full-time work. How they expect me to WITHOUT MONEY is beyond me.

And guess what will happen if I don't go? I won't get Job seekers... Oh the system is totally helping me.
  • Options
    I think the system needs to be more flexible, because in trying to get people off benefits as soon as possible things are being made worse, as you've just illustrated. There seems to be an idea that you can just find full time jobs that you have the skills for just by looking.
    I think unemployed people should volunteer, but not for more than the number of hours they would be working to earn what they get in benefits.
    The New Deal course I went on seemed almost intended as a form of punishment, rather than support, comments like "the next stage is really boring, you should really try to get a job this week" were idiotic so I can see why people just give up.
    I think the system needs to take into account that if someone has no skills or experience they are not going to get a job however many they apply for, so something else needs to be arranged for them.
  • Options
    I think the system needs to take into account that if someone has no skills or experience they are not going to get a job however many they apply for, so something else needs to be arranged for them.

This is why they go back to college instead and get a qualification. Or they get employed by someone to train them. This is what my mum did both times when she was starting out. (first time 19 years old, as a nursery nurse & second time as a care assistant)
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Now because I'm part-time, I'm still classed as unemployed by the Job Centre, so they class me as having ALL the time in the world to look for jobs. I don't want to find another job, I just need the SUPPORT for when my hours dip below X of my contractual hours, otherwise I can't pay my debts! So they top up my money.
    The section in bold is the problem.

You should be signing on because you're genuinely looking for work, not because you have a couple of hours in a job and don't intend to look for anything else whilst other people work full time to support you.

I for one believe in reducing work hours and putting up wages, but that isn't the way things are. The government want people off Jobseekers and in to work.

I know people who work more than one job to support themselves... Are you looking for another part time job?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    The section in bold is the problem.

You should be signing on because you're genuinely looking for work, not because you have a couple of hours in a job and don't intend to look for anything else whilst other people work full time to support you.

I for one believe in reducing work hours and putting up wages, but that isn't the way things are. The government want people off Jobseekers and in to work.

I know people who work more than one job to support themselves... Are you looking for another part time job?
    I'm a student. I study all the time I'm not working. That is why I don't want to work my maximum contract hours, which is still only 30. But the Job Centre don't class me as a student because I'm not at a institute. Which is why I only work part-time because if I worked full time, I'd work full time. I'd have no time to study! The fact is, NO ONE is supporting me if I HAVE my working hours that I'm contracted for. I have a max of preferred of 14, max of 30 and minimum of 5. Right now, for the past 3 months I've been getting my bare minimum. The reason why? Custom. There isn't enough custom during the first half of the year to give every staff member fair hours.

Right now I would be better off quitting the job and going back on Job seekers full-time. What a amazing system!
  • Options
    If you are full time student, why do Job Seeker class you as "unemployed"?

:confused:
  • Options
    Because I'm not in an physical college or university and working part-time. The Job center/gov want you in full-time work not part-time. I'm self-taught and doing a self-funded course for CompTIA A+ (because colleges do this course, but only if it is paid for up-front. I don't have that kind of cash). So because of that, they say I can "fit my studies in" even though they aren't willing to help me out.

Anyone who is claiming job seekers is saying they have no job, therefore they must be unemployed, including those part-time because they *must* be looking for full-time regardless of their circumstances.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Benefit fraud is stealing from us all, I have little sympathy for those who commit such frauds.

However, I rage at the richest people in our country who fail to pay taxes and are therefore equally guilty of a form of "theft" IMHO.

Difference is that one system is designed to have loopholes which allow the avoidance of responsibility the other is designed to trip people up.

Makes you wonder who makes the laws really doesn't it - the rich or the poor [/sarcasm]

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread." Anatole France
  • Options
    Because I'm not in an physical college or university and working part-time. The Job center/gov want you in full-time work not part-time. I'm self-taught and doing a self-funded course for CompTIA A+ (because colleges do this course, but only if it is paid for up-front. I don't have that kind of cash). So because of that, they say I can "fit my studies in" even though they aren't willing to help me out.

Anyone who is claiming job seekers is saying they have no job, therefore they must be unemployed, including those part-time because they *must* be looking for full-time regardless of their circumstances.

I don't mean to sound harsh... But I work with people who are studying degrees and postgrad courses on top of their 36+ hour weeks. They manage their time for their course, they have social lives on top of it and they come out with really good grades. I don't see how you should be any different.

You can still do 20+ hours of study a week, by studying in evenings and days off.
  • Options
    I don't have set times to study. I'm not saying I can't, but with my job and my studying being variable depending on them both. Since my hours aren't always the same, they aren't always set in stone. So whatever changes I need to change with it day-to-day. That is why it's difficult to manage.

I know university hours are similar to that, but they still have set-time slots to do studying, along with time for work. Either one usually being routine and regular.
  • Options
    If you get your work hours on a week to week basis, you need to sort out your studying timetable in a week to week basis too. How many hours a week do you set aside for studying at the moment?
  • Options
    I just had to butt in because the arguement 'this person does it. so why cant you?' really annoys me.

My friend has a part-time job usually working overtime, is in her last year of a very intense course and has a dissertation to do. Upmost respect to her for what she does but me, personally, no way could I do that. I have barely enough energy to see me through the last 2 weeks of my degree.

Before I go off on a rant and whinge about myself and with all respect to Java- we dont know his situation. It's great that your friend manages that but it doesn't make it immediately applicable to everyone else.
  • Options
    If you get your work hours on a week to week basis, you need to sort out your studying timetable in a week to week basis too. How many hours a week do you set aside for studying at the moment?
    This is the problem with planning ahead, in the past I've gotten drafts of my hours, and they've changed closer to the day. Sometimes we do get them a week beforehand but it depends on who is doing the rota. So setting my plans earlier can go belly up. If I had a normal 9-5 job I'd be okay. I could set aside hours to study, but this is totally different. The only simaliry of my patterns of work is usually work closer to the end of the week, Thurs-Sun.

I know I couldn't do 40 hour working, then studying. My brain would be fried by the time I got home. I wouldn't learn anything. I've tried that before, it got to the point of having to study during my lunch-times when I was still alert and full of energy.

Right now I set aside every minute of every day, from the moment I wake up, to go asleep. I can relax a bit on the studying and work more hours, but by 31st December, if I don't have the pass I need, I will have to go through this ordeal every 3 years to keep my qualification. If I complete it this year I get it for a life-time.
  • Options
    This is the problem with planning ahead, in the past I've gotten drafts of my hours, and they've changed closer to the day. Sometimes we do get them a week beforehand but it depends on who is doing the rota. So setting my plans earlier can go belly up. If I had a normal 9-5 job I'd be okay. I could set aside hours to study, but this is totally different. The only simaliry of my patterns of work is usually work closer to the end of the week, Thurs-Sun.

I know I couldn't do 40 hour working, then studying. My brain would be fried by the time I got home. I wouldn't learn anything. I've tried that before, it got to the point of having to study during my lunch-times when I was still alert and full of energy.

Right now I set aside every minute of every day, from the moment I wake up, to go asleep. I can relax a bit on the studying and work more hours, but by 31st December, if I don't have the pass I need, I will have to go through this ordeal every 3 years to keep my qualification. If I complete it this year I get it for a life-time.
    Do you rent or live with parents?

Again, I know people who I work with who are doing degree and postgrads. Sometimes you have to...

If you wanted it that bad, you would (for the record I have been looking at postgrad courses to do around my job.... If I felt I had security in it, I'd be doing one right now).
  • Options
    I live with my mum, who I pay "rent" to for living expenses.

Are your work colleagues doing home/distance learning?
  • Options
    I live with my mum, who I pay "rent" to for living expenses.

Are your work colleagues doing home/distance learning?

One is doing a postgraduate through Birkbeck, so she has evening classes (Birkbeck is a university which specialises in evening courses). The other is doing Open University.

Surely, you could get another part time job.

168 hours a week... 36 for work? 56 for sleep? It still leaves you at least 70 hours to study.

ETA: I don't mean that in a patronising way, but time management is possible if you think positive about it. :)