Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking whilst pregnant.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    It is in your power to stop your partner from leaving the house. That you fail to do so exposes her to many risks, including inadvertant second hand smoking.

Are you really that pedantic, what would you have me do? chain her down. I DO everthing that is reasonable to protect my children. and you saying otherwise is one of the worst insults you could ever throw at me,

For fuck sake you do not even know me. yet you seem quite willing to question my fucking judgement as a father and make quite a personal attack at me, NOT once have I made it personal in here, except only to reciprocate.

I'll have you know, and yes I am big headed about this, I am probably one of the best fathers out there. I DO EVERTHING to protect my son and my newborn. Obviously unfortunately not going outside is NOT an option, bills need paid, food needs bought. everything else needs done. however my arguement is, taking a risk by smoking is avoidable, it is not needed and the mother has a choice.

DO I worry about my wife, my son, my soon to be child, hell yeah. I worry every single fucking day that something might happen and I might lose what I worked so hard for. that I will not be there when my son or wife need me most. and you fucking dare to question my integrity.

Ok, if you want to be a pedant and take my statement so literally, that is up to you. your right, I LIED... however I would never intentionally caused risk to my family, and smoking while pregnant is obviously intentionally causing risk for the most selfish of reason.

I hope this is the rise from me which you so clearly wanted.
  • Options
    you have a newborn? I thought she was still pregnant?
  • Options
    you have a newborn? I thought she was still pregnant?

My mistake, that should read "soon to be newborn"...

opps:eek: way to early.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Are you really that pedantic, what would you have me do? chain her down. I DO everthing that is reasonable to protect my children. and you saying otherwise is one of the worst insults you could ever throw at me,
    but you didn't say that, ou said you would do anyting to elimniate any risk, no matter how small.
    For fuck sake you do not even know me. yet you seem quite willing to question my fucking judgement as a father and make quite a personal attack at me,
    No, I question your attempt to make this a black and white issue, when it is a shade of grey one.

You are right, I don't know you, but I believe you to be a very good father, who would got to extraordinary length for his children. I suspect you are a better dad than I would have been - and that, given my arrogance, is saying a lot.
    Ok, if you want to be a pedant and take my statement so literally, that is up to you. your right, I LIED... however I would never intentionally caused risk to my family, and smoking while pregnant is obviously intentionally causing risk for the most selfish of reason.

Good, then we've established it's a matter of balancing the risk against the cost. And that's a matter of judgement. You clearly believe the risk from smoking is high enough that no mother should smoke under any circumstances. I believe there are cases where attempting to stop smoking while carrying a child imposes greater risks on the mother and/or child, and I also believe that smoking doesn't have a significant impact on the majority of pregnancies.
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow, I thought that people might have realised that a woman's body is her own by now.

As long as she's not wearing a short skirt or doing practically anything whilst pregnant...
  • Options
    Wow, I thought that people might have realised that a woman's body is her own by now.

If someone has explained the risks of a particular activity thoroughly and the woman makes a conscious educated choice to participate in that activity despite knowing the risks then as far as I'm concerned no one else should be involved in the decision making process.

Oh, to some extent I agree, it is her choice and I have no say over the matter, I do believe (however if I have correct me and i'll appologise) I've never said anyone else has a choice. but what about the child life?

for example, and i am speaking quite literal here and I know it'd be hard to answer due to no president set regarding this.

If a mother smoked or did anything that put a child's harm in danger and the child was brain damaged or made disabled because of the mothers actions. is that mother liable for the damage caused? in a legal sense maybe? or a moral sense?
  • Options

If a mother smoked or did anything that put a child's harm in danger and the child was brain damaged or made disabled because of the mothers actions. is that mother liable for the damage caused? in a legal sense maybe? or a moral sense?

I asked the same question earlier - except about parents preventing MMR vacinations.
  • Options
    I asked the same question earlier - except about parents preventing MMR vacinations.

And it is one I'd love to answer, Part of me wants to say yes, but then where do you draw the line?
  • Options
  • Options
    No. Because the child is not a separate legal entity until it is born.

During this pregnancy I've drunk wine, eaten soft unpasturised cheeses, gone fell walking when it was wet and slippy and had a swine flu jab; all done after weighing up the risks to both me and the fetus. If any of those things had affected the pregnancy (which possibly they could have done, one is advised not to after all) then do you think I should be prosecuted? What should the penalty be?

What about if I'd booked in and had a massage at your hotel at 7 weeks pregnant, as I didn't find out until 8 weeks (which isn't exactly uncommon)? What should the penalty be then?

I understand your point and kind of agree. I unfortunately never completed my law degree, hence why I asked the question and did not answer it. the Moral and emotional part of me says "yes" I don't know how but you are responsible, because regardless of it being a part of you, you harmed it but part of me, the logical part of me does say "no" because there are so many risk, so many factors it is up to the human judgement to choose.

However and this is where I disagree with yourself, for example you've eaten unpasteurised cheeses after weighing the facts, to me that seems an unnecessary risk for pure pleasure. I admit it is just me but I do not see any reason to take the risk. the same as smoking or most of these over things.

Unfortunately I got very over emotional on this subject, I just can see why people would take unnecessary risk for pleasure. You've explain it as best as you can, it isn't something I can change my mind on as it is my emotions controlling my thoughts, It isn't something someone can be right or wrong over, (regarding what risks are right or wrong)
  • Options
  • Options
    There are other risky activities which I have given up as I don't consider the risks to be worth the pleasure I would get from them - but that's a subjective choice, and one that's mine to make, not anyone else. I doubt anyone else in the world is going to love my baby as much as myself and my husband do, so why is it anyone elses business how I choose to look after it, both inside the womb and outside?

Please note, per my previous post I agreed with you on that GWST, its just obviously a difference of opinion
  • Options
    All I will say is - my mum smoked through all three of her pregnancies and all four of us have turned out normal (well....mostly :p) :D.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    All I will say is - my mum smoked through all three of her pregnancies and all four of us have turned out normal (well....mostly :p) :D.

Whereas my mum didn't smoke through hers (dad was a smoker) and only one of us (out of three) turned out normal.
  • Options
    "Its best for sure if a pregnant woman does what she can to ensure the foetus is kept as healthy as she can, but its not wrong if the mother wants a little massage occasionally for all her hard work, or really really craves a bit of soft cheese or her steak medium rare one time or the odd glass of wine. Its not a crime."

Exactly! And if you had a the odd ciggarette, that would be okay too. I just think that to keep on smoking like you always would and not really giving a fuck, is wrong.
  • Options
    And 'girl with sharp teeth', a woman's body is her own but I STILL think abortion etc is wrong, because that baby inside her is not her own, it's an individual. It has a right to life.
  • Options
  • Options
    thank god.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you were to take that kind of view, the next step is to decide who isn't fit to have children, and sterilise them.
  • Options
    swiss massage,

What's that then ? Massage with a Toblerone afterwards ?
  • Options
    If you were to take that kind of view, the next step is to decide who isn't fit to have children, and sterilise them.

Do you want a list? ;)
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Do you want a list? ;)

I already have one.
  • Options
    I already have one.

Probably many of the same people on it as me...

Assume that you have Ashley Cole?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Probably many of the same people on it as me...

Assume that you have Ashley Cole?

who?