Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking whilst pregnant.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the general consensus - the child is privileged to be being carried. If I were carrying a child, I'd be evaluating risk and I'd certainly moderate my behaviour e.g. I'd not binge drink, but I'd not be teetoal.

I see. I think this is where the confusion has come from.

The massage your talking about is a medical massage, carried out by usually a nurse, where as the ones we offer (inc our prenatal) is a relaxation or swiss massage, very very very different.

Our prenatal massage just focuses on different parts and is done in different positions. the massage through that article (reading the whole article) is different to what we offer. it is the same sort of massage offered by midwifes etc.
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    Surely the mother is the one who should feel privaleged the baby has not asked to be created so why should it be poisoned by un-natural toxins and chemicals

the mother didnt ask to be created either. Whats your point? None of uis did
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Maybe the massage person wasn't going to keep it, or thought the risk to their child was very low. I don't see what harm a massage can do and if it's a risk the carrier is willing to take, isn't it their choice to make? Though, they just shouldn't have mentioned they were pregnant really, it's not like anyone would have noticed and challanged them.

a friend of mine was pregnant, and had a massage, which caused her to go into early labor. her kid is deaf and partially sighted, and i think she's got brain problems too.
  • Options
    The massage was show to induce early labour?
  • Options
    The massage was show to induce early labour?

yeah, she actually went into labor during the massage, i think it was something like 2 or 3 months early.
  • Options
    the mother didnt ask to be created either. Whats your point? None of uis did

My point is that smoking is harmful, thats an indisputable fact.

As a concious being everyone has the choice wether to smoke or not thats fine i don't have a problem with that, however the baby has no choice in the matter so it seems a little unfair to force the effects on to them.

Please dont think im preaching i really am not its just my opinion
  • Options
    My point is that smoking is harmful, thats an indisputable fact.

As a concious being everyone has the choice wether to smoke or not thats fine i don't have a problem with that, however the baby has no choice in the matter so it seems a little unfair to force the effects on to them.

This.
    Xx
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Our prenatal massage just focuses on different parts and is done in different positions. the massage through that article (reading the whole article) is different to what we offer. it is the same sort of massage offered by midwifes etc.

No, it doesn't say that at all. It says most establishments don't allow them to be offered because they feel people may sue based on a perceived casual link between a massage and miscarriage.

any activity that invigorates the body is likely to precipitate a miscarriage that would have occurred anyway - hence the perceived causal link - but a simple study on the figures of miscarriage and carrying to term would identify wether it was a genuine risk factor.
  • Options
    however the baby has no choice in the matter so it seems a little unfair to force the effects on to them.

So the mother should have an abortion before smoking?
  • Options
    The mother should not smoke or cut down A LOT. Anyone who is carrying a child should feel priveledged as many people cannot have kids and can't.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    Anyone who is carrying a child should feel priveledged as many people cannot have kids and can't.

bollocks. yeah, you can have children, and I wont have any... aren't you fucking special.
  • Options
    So the mother should have an abortion before smoking?

The mother "ideally" should not smoke there is no way you or anyone else can say differntly it is just ridiculos to say otherwise, i understand that it may be hard or even impossible for some to stop smoking, but the point here is does it harm the baby and the answer is 100% yes, smoking is harmful to everyone smokers and non smokers alike thats a fact its as simple as that!
  • Options
    I have a friend, and she has had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy. She wants her own child so so badly. Why should one women be selfish and carry a baby she doesn't want, and put it's health at risk?
    Xx
  • Options
    The mother "ideally" should not smoke there is no way you or anyone else can say differntly it is just ridiculos to say otherwise!

I'm not disputing the ideal situation - which is that the mother will never have smoked, will be of ideal weight, and be of good health and between 16 and 25 and not have any serious hereditary conditions.

What I dispute is your assertion that the unborn child should have more say in the matter than the mother.
  • Options
    No, because some people would LOVE kids and can't have them and some people can have them and just don't see it is as anything special. I know it's special but pregnancy is a very complicated thing.
  • Options
    I have a friend, and she has had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy. She wants her own child so so badly. Why should one women be selfish and carry a baby she doesn't want, and put it's health at risk?
    Xx

I don;t think any mother should carry a child she doesn't want.

But why should your friend, who appears to have difficulty carrying a child, have any impact on how someone else chooses to carry theirs? By that reasoning, me and my partner who have failed to conceive over many years have an even greater say.
  • Options
    Because it's called morals and respect.
    If you concieve, that's something you have to deal with. Whether it was by accident, or on purpose, that child has a right to life.
  • Options
    No, because some people would LOVE kids and can't have them and some people can have them and just don't see it is as anything special. I know it's special but pregnancy is a very complicated thing.

Really, some people want kids but can't have them, and this gives them the right to tell those than can how they should be doing it.

I wanted kids. I can't have them. I think being a mother is a wonderful and special thing. I'm lucky to have 8 and a half nephews/nieces, but I still say the mother comes before the baby.
  • Options
    I'm not disputing the ideal situation - which is that the mother will never have smoked, will be of ideal weight, and be of good health and between 16 and 25 and not have any serious hereditary conditions.

What I dispute is your assertion that the unborn child should have more say in the matter than the mother.

But your also saying the child has no rights at all. he/she doesn't have a choice if he/she is harmed because the mothers addictive habbit.

If a father was an alchoholic and hit a kid and caused serious brain damage, he'd be responsable? no? whats the difference?

Surely, whether it is wanted or not, the pregnant women has a obligation to care for the child, it is after all her responsability.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    But your also saying the child has no rights at all. he/she doesn't have a choice if he/she is harmed because the mothers addictive habbit.

Absolutely. Otherwise you'll be saying women can't have abortions.
  • Options

some people cant have children so to them its some amazing privelege.
    Some people conceive when they really dont want to, so for them its a burden.

Whos to say who is right?

Maybe having children is just one of those things?

Its best for sure if a pregnant woman does what she can to ensure the foetus is kept as healthy as she can, but its not wrong if the mother wants a little massage occasionally for all her hard work, or really really craves a bit of soft cheese or her steak medium rare one time or the odd glass of wine. Its not a crime.
  • Options
    Really, some people want kids but can't have them, and this gives them the right to tell those than can how they should be doing it.

I agree with this part, just because others can't have children doesn't mean it should influence yourself, however as I said in my previous posts, health does.
    I wanted kids. I can't have them. I think being a mother is a wonderful and special thing. I'm lucky to have 8 and a half nephews/nieces, but I still say the mother comes before the baby.

The mother should come before the baby, in health, yes if it is something which harms the mother yes, but something as selfish as smoking because you "enjoy" it... what aload of bullshit and selfish attitude.
  • Options

If i sat every night and injected poison directly into my blood stream that would be my choice you might think i was mad you might not, but if you were helpless and in my care and every night i injected you against your will you would feel pretty pissed off im sure and if after a few months of this you became ill who's fualt would that be yours or mine, not yours thats for sure as you were helpless and reliant on me for everthing. All the choices for both of us were in my hands thats a responsibility to taken seriously.
  • Options
    Absolutely. Otherwise you'll be saying women can't have abortions.

Ahhh that depends on when you term when it's alive or not, abortions are carried out before it is classed by law as alive (which IIRC is 23wks) someone smoking and causes harm to it when it is alive, and long term damage when it is born, makes its life harder is different than an abortion.
  • Options
    viable - not alive. Its alive before that, but couldnt survive outside the womb.
    You can have abortions right up to term if there is something wrong with the baby anyway
  • Options
    but if you were helpless and in my care and every night i injected you against your will you would feel pretty pissed off [...]
    All the choices for both of us were in my hands thats a responsibility to taken seriously.

I'd want to know why you did it, and yes it is a serious responsiblity.

So... how about if parents chose not to allow MMR - and the child gets measels and ends up brain damaged. Should they be locked away for child abuse?

People make decisions about risk, and it's a mothers right to make those decisions abot the child she carries - I certainly support every effort to make the mother aware of the consequences of her decisions - but not lecturing her into submission.

What I don't support is people claiming "smoking harms the baby' - it doesn't. It causes a reduction in the flexibility of red blood cells, and diminishes the capacity of oxygen exchange through the placenta - which can have consequences in a marginal pregnancy.
  • Options
    I think being a mother is a wonderful and special thing...but I still say the mother comes before the baby.

While I'd definitely agree with that from an ethical point of view, I cannot get into the mindset of someone (assuming that the pregnancy is wanted/planned) who would not do everything they could to protect their child, especially when it comes to things with a definite, provable risk.

It's not the fact that it's a baby and therefore is worth more as a human being and deserves extra protection, it's the fact that it's your baby, your son or daughter, and why wouldn't you want to give them extra protection?
  • Options
    :banghead:
  • Options
    There's a climate of guilt and finger wagging over pregnancy. All a mother can do is their best, weighing up the risks and making the decisions that are possible for them at that time.
  • Options
    I'd want to know why you did it, and yes it is a serious responsiblity.

So... how about if parents chose not to allow MMR - and the child gets measels and ends up brain damaged. Should they be locked away for child abuse?

People make decisions about risk, and it's a mothers right to make those decisions abot the child she carries - I certainly support every effort to make the mother aware of the consequences of her decisions - but not lecturing her into submission.

What I don't support is people claiming "smoking harms the baby' - it doesn't. It causes a reduction in the flexibility of red blood cells, and diminishes the capacity of oxygen exchange through the placenta - which can have consequences in a marginal pregnancy.

:banghead: