Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking whilst pregnant.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not pregnant, I'm just curious.
What effects does it have?
If you smoked one ciggarette a week, would that have an effect?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know about the effects in particular, probably affects development, brain and lungs but I know its bad. Dont do it.
  • Options
    Yes im sure it would one a week over 36 weeks is nearly 40 when you think about it you would never sit and smoke 40 fags in front of a new born
    Also if someone only needs one a week why bother anyway?
  • Options
    What about one a month?
  • Options
    I guess the harm would be very slight but i go back to my point you woiuld not smoke infront of a new born and why bother having one cigarette a month . I know it hard for people to stop smoking but surely being pregnant is agood reason.
    If your privaleged enough to have a new life grow inside you and then experiance the joy of bringing that life into the world then i just feel it is really not much to ask to not smoke.
    Im not preaching though its just my opinion
  • Options
    I agree.
    It is certainly not worth the risk.
    It's worse than drinking.
  • Options
    You may as well do both, you're not going to listen to what we say anyway.
  • Options
    Obviously it's a given that it's not good for the baby but sometimes the stress of actually giving up can have a greater affect on the baby so a lot of women that smoke and get pregnant are advised to cut down and then to stop if they can.
  • Options
    If you only smoke one a week, then what's the point at all? I don't think that'd be a nicotine addiction... one a week. That's nothing.
    Xx
  • Options
    If you only smoke one a week, then what's the point at all? I don't think that'd be a nicotine addiction... one a week. That's nothing.
    Xx

This...and once a month?! Although I do smoke when incredibly pissed :chin: ...so that would be like once a week, but am not addicted :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean, if someone was pregnant and had the ability to only smoke once a month they would just not smoke! I know some people are social smokers, or only smoke on certain occasions (like my dad will have a cigar on a specail occasion) But most people wouldn't bother. Not when pregnant anyway! It's pointless.
    Xx
  • Options
    have to agree with everyone. If you only smoke once a month, its not going to be hard to just not smoke at all.
    Its pretty much generally accepted that smoking in pregnancy is very bad for the baby, so theres not going to be many people that think its even an OK idea
  • Options
    ALSO... if you only smoke once a month... that's only 9 ciggerates you wont have.
    Xx
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    Lyric, you are your boyfriend might as well stop smoking and drinking heavily all together if you want a child.

Even if/if you are not having a child (as you claim your not) I have to some what agree to this.

I've never smoked and my missus quit when she met me (I refused to date her till she quit, I am mean I know) but when she was pregnant she obviously didn't drink, I quit drinking as well, obviously we're both not that big drinkers anyway but it wasn't nice if she had to sit there while I drunk, now I'll drink the odd beer now and again, mainly when watching the footie.

one benefit of it is now im a total light weight as I spent so long without drinking.
  • Options
    I can't imagine willingly doing anything that even has the slightest chance of harming my baby, especially something with such a proven link as smoking! I even hold my breath when I pass smokers in the street, even though I think that might be a little neurotic.

IMO, once you have that child inside you, you put them first. End of.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I can't imagine willingly doing anything that even has the slightest chance of harming my baby, especially something with such a proven link as smoking! I even hold my breath when I pass smokers in the street, even though I think that might be a little neurotic.

IMO, once you have that child inside you, you put them first. End of.

I wish that were true. a little story that I had at work.

Person phones up,

Person: "I would like to book a massage please, Can I still have one if pregnant?"
    Me: "That depends, how many weeks are you if I may ask?"
    Person: "only 9weeks!"
    Me: "Then for safety reasons we cannot offer any type of massage bellow 12weeks I am afraid."
    Person: *Angrily* "Why is that then?" *large sigh*
    Me: "For various reasons, firstly a baby bellow 12weeks is classed as high risk, the actual techniques of massage used means even out prenatal treatment cannot be done before 12weeks, also our insurence would not allow us and as it is unadviced to do a massage bellow 12weeks we do not offer it."
    Person: *Very angry/stroppy now* "Well if its because of the baby, I don't care about any risk, I JUST WANT MY MASSAGE" *shouting about now*
    Me: "I'm sorry but there is no way we can offer a massage before 12weeks."
    Person: "Fine, I'll go and spend my money somewhere else, You'll hear back from me" *slams phone down*

It almost made me cry with this persons lack of caring :(
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I wish that were true. a little story that I had at work.

Person phones up,

Person: "I would like to book a massage please, Can I still have one if pregnant?"
    Me: "That depends, how many weeks are you if I may ask?"
    Person: "only 9weeks!"
    Me: "Then for safety reasons we cannot offer any type of massage bellow 12weeks I am afraid."
    Person: *Angrily* "Why is that then?" *large sigh*
    Me: "For various reasons, firstly a baby bellow 12weeks is classed as high risk, the actual techniques of massage used means even out prenatal treatment cannot be done before 12weeks, also our insurence would not allow us and as it is unadviced to do a massage bellow 12weeks we do not offer it."
    Person: *Very angry/stroppy now* "Well if its because of the baby, I don't care about any risk, I JUST WANT MY MASSAGE" *shouting about now*
    Me: "I'm sorry but there is no way we can offer a massage before 12weeks."
    Person: "Fine, I'll go and spend my money somewhere else, You'll hear back from me" *slams phone down*

It almost made me cry with this persons lack of caring :(

That story makes me :banghead:

As others have said if you are privelaged enough to be able to carry a child then you should do what you can to help that little life. If you are talking one cigarette a week/month then clearly you are just a social smoker so there is no reason why you can't give that up. It's called willpower and doing the right thing!
  • Options
    Maybe the massage person wasn't going to keep it, or thought the risk to their child was very low. I don't see what harm a massage can do and if it's a risk the carrier is willing to take, isn't it their choice to make? Though, they just shouldn't have mentioned they were pregnant really, it's not like anyone would have noticed and challanged them.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Maybe the massage person wasn't going to keep it, or thought the risk to their child was very low. I don't see what harm a massage can do and if it's a risk the carrier is willing to take, isn't it their choice to make? Though, they just shouldn't have mentioned they were pregnant really, it's not like anyone would have noticed and challanged them.

She may have thought the risk was very low but if the professionals are informing her of the risks and telling her that they cannot offer her the massage then that should be good enough. Yes perhaps it should be her choice but then it was also her choice to get herself pregnant, be it by accident or what she has gotten herself pregnant and should reap the consequences of her actions.
  • Options
    It's a massage!
  • Options
    It's a massage!

That she was not ALLOWED to have at that hotel. Yes, if she really wanted one, she'd go somewhere else. But, and I'd bet money on this, if the hotel had given her one and it caused birth defects in her baby etc. she would of phoned up and complained or even sued them.
    Xx
  • Options
    You sound so furious, I can just imagine your little fists clenching in frustration that I don't agree with you.
  • Options
    ...I'm not furious at all I am just giving my views. And don't be patronizing about me being young by saying "little fists" I find that offencive..
  • Options
    It was nothing to do with your age, purely because you type shouted at me.
  • Options
    I would probably not smoke if I was pregnant, even though I am well and truly addicted. But it'd annoy me so much.
  • Options
    It's a massage!

Well that shows what you know, the Oils and the massage itself, stimulates the foetus and increased blood flow which significantly heightens a risk of miscarriage, NO professional in there right mind would do the treatment, regardless of the clients risks.

Massages actually involve quite a few risks, hence why we always carry out a complex medical history on every client. Regardless of what the client wants you'd be crazy to offer it, the mother even if the risk was "low" is a moron for thinking of herself more than a child or baby. a blooming selfish act.
  • Options
    It was nothing to do with your age, purely because you type shouted at me.

ermm no... I didn't. If I was "type shouting" it would of all been in capitals... Read it how you will, I was just giving my views that are differnt to yours. Personally, I know a few people who'd give ANYTHING to have a baby and the fact that some others would be willing to harm theres is just... just not right in my views.
    Xx
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    bloody breathing is a risk to the baby, as is not breathing.
    Just because carrying a baby is seen as a wonderful privelege for some people, it isnt for everyone
  • Options
    I have to disagree with the general consensus - the child is privileged to be being carried. If I were carrying a child, I'd be evaluating risk and I'd certainly moderate my behaviour e.g. I'd not binge drink, but I'd not be teetoal.
    Many massage therapists are taught that massage is contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy. The reason generally cited is that there is a greater risk of miscarriage during the first trimester and that massage may be an extra risk factor for miscarriage. There are many establishments and massage therapists who simply refuse to perform pregnancy during the first trimester. For many of these therapists the main reason they reject potential clients is because of litigation and perceived liability.

The first trimester miscarriage rate at least 15% and other therapists adopt the view that they never want to put a mother to be who may have a miscarriage for unknown reasons ever wonder if the massage they gave her caused her miscarriage. And for them the reason isn't the liability...it's the making her feel that she may have done something wrong by having a massage.

However, if someone has a sound pregnancy then as long as proper guidelines for working with pregnant women are followed, there is absolutely no medical evidence to support that by properly giving someone a massage that their pregnancy could be harmed.
  • Options
    Surely the mother is the one who should feel privaleged the baby has not asked to be created so why should it be poisoned by un-natural toxins and chemicals