Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

FAO: Naun- concerning tumbleweeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
:hyper: OMG OMG OMG OMG :hyper: At school we are designing a Wild West style theme park and mine is called....
Tumbleweed Town.
Just thought I'd let everyone know ;) I think it's quite funky :razz:
Xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
    :hyper: OMG OMG OMG OMG :hyper: At school we are designing a Wild West style theme park and mine is called....
    Tumbleweed Town.
    Just thought I'd let everyone know ;) I think it's quite funky :razz:
    Xx

Man I wish I was in year 8 again... come to think of it... I never did anything that cool then anyway :no:
  • Options
    Nothing is stopping you now purple! find that inner child! find it! :hyper:
  • Options
    Man I wish I was in year 8 again... come to think of it... I never did anything that cool then anyway :no:

I don't remember my time in year 8. Can't have done anything interesting. Anything involving designing a theme park anyway.

Very random though. What's Tumbleweed town going to be like?
  • Options
    Oh it'll be amazing haha! It's D.T. work, and we are doing a leaflet on our park. Mine shall have tumbleweed themed rollercoasters (and teacups for the faint hearted ;) )
    Xx
  • Options
    Teacups :hyper:
    Sounds good.
  • Options
    This is what passes for education these days?

When I was your age, I was learning Latin and Chemistry, not designing a fucking theme park. No wonder the education system in this country is going down the pan.
  • Options
    yes, clearly this thread sums up her whole education and not any of her other threads asking about history or any other subject that passes your approval.
  • Options
    This is what passes for education these days?

When I was your age, I was learning Latin and Chemistry, not designing a fucking theme park. No wonder the education system in this country is going down the pan.

Just think of all the fun we would have if everyone learnt how to design and build a theme park!!!
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad we are doing this!! What we' did in my last lessons:
    Science: Sound and hearing
    History: Civil war
    PSVE: Sex ed
    Drama: Stock characters
    Maths: Pi
    Music: Silent film soundtracks
    I.C.T and Buissness studies: modern technology
    Geography: Waves
    Religious: Christianity
    P.E.: Lacrosse
    Buissness and enterprise skills: Helping society
    French: Houses
    Spanish: Personalities
    English: The holocaust

So there :-p haha (Although, I haven't done most of these for a while as I've been in BFL, that's what we were last doing.)
    Xx
  • Options
    Sounds like you had a fun education Thunder..
  • Options
    moonlift wrote: »
    Sounds like you had a fun education Thunder..

Also known as a proper one.
  • Options
    Also known as a proper one.

Soo... you think that I don't get a proper education? I think we learn a wider variety of things than people used to. And the education is a lot more excepting of peoples lives and views.
    Like, my dad for instance, grew up on a council estate. He had to walk 2 miles for school each morning, and couldn't afford the uniform so he often got sent home as soon as he got there. He hated school, and they always thought he was thick. But his IQ was, at 14, the same as Stephen Hawking. They had to offer him a place in a posh privite school (which he turned down)

My mum, in contrast, grew up in a very posh part of London. She went to a very expensive privite school and has an IQ lower than mine (mines something like 127) She did "posh" subjects, probably like yours thunderstruck, and my dad didn't even go to school most of the time (his report cards are very funny.)

I, personally, think that education (as in maths etc) is not all that important. I think learning to cope in life, emotional intelligantes, is much more important. So, Latin is a useless subject ;) I bet they didn't make you write a poem version of the Easter story in RE :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    I, personally, think that education (as in maths etc) is not all that important. I think learning to cope in life, emotional intelligantes, is much more important. So, Latin is a useless subject ;)

I don't think you could be more wrong.

Without mathematics, science and humanities, we would still be living in caves.

Learning to cope with life comes from experience, not from a classroom.

Latin is far from a useless subject. A good grasp of Latin will make learning any Indo-European language a breeze, plus it's also the language of some of the greatest literature and philosophy the world has ever seen.
  • Options
    ... It's a dead language. It's like, when you learn maths without BIDMAS, it's pointless.
    Xx
  • Options
    ... It's a dead language. It's like, when you learn maths without BIDMAS, it's pointless.
    Xx

It is far from pointless. Even a rudimentary knowledge will cut down time required to learn any other Indo-European language (French, Italian, Spanish, Portugese) by a significant amount.

It will improve your English grammar as many of the rules are common to both and will improve your accuracy given the accuracy inherently required in the case system in Latin. Indeed, the case system in Latin will make learning languages with case systems a lot easier such as Russian, German, Czech and Greek. Furthermore, it will increase your English vocabulary.

If you want to work in law, a basic grasp of Latin is absolutely essential. Ditto for medicine.

Add to that the fact that with its similarly "dead and pointless" brother ancient Greek, it will unlock some of the greatest literature and without doubt the best philosophy the world has ever known. You carp on about emotional intelligence, read some Socrates, Seneca or Cicero.

I cannot stress how important Latin and ancient Greek are.
  • Options
    Xx
    I have to say, much as I know Thunderstruck can be a pretentious arsehole, this is so so so untrue.
  • Options
    Haha, I just don't think that ANYONE would go to latin lessons at my school. Ever. It'd be pointless, everyone would bunk.
    I think in the school I was going to they do latin, my mum went there and she did latin at one point.
    Xx
  • Options
    I just wanted to point out that if Thunderstruck attacks Broken Angel's education from ONE class project completely unprovoked than it makes me question whether his education has provided him with the relevant social skills to get on in life.

E.g. not being a patronising tool.
  • Options
    CTT- that made me lol.
    And, Geneve. just re-read my posts. I never said that emotional life skills are learnt in school, and I also never said I want a job that isn't requiring maths. Oh, and I ALSO never said I was going to work in MD's. Which, I might point out, I CAN'T BECAUSE I'M VEGAN.
    I think personally that you don't have to be able to read and write to have a good life! I'd much rather be able to sympathise (Obviously something they don't teach in schools) with someone than write an essay in latin.
  • Options
    I don't mean to sound like I'm defending Thunderstruck here because really he's a big boy and can defend himself, but.... he might be patronising and stuck up, but (most of the time) he does know what he's on about. And (most of the time) he's a pretty good friend and he can be lovely. He also has excellent taste in books. And this is coming from me, who does a degree in a subject which, iirc, he considers easy and pointless ;).

Incidentally, B-A, one of the girls I used to work with was vegan, and one of my managers was vegetarian. When you have no money there's little choice.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

Incidentally, B-A, one of the girls I used to work with was vegan, and one of my managers was vegetarian. When you have no money there's little choice.

I'd rather die than earn my money from such a company. My personal views. I've never stepped into a MD's, or a Subway or a burger king etc etc etc and I'm never planning too.
    Xx
  • Options
    Oh, and I've got nothing against ThunderStruck... let me make that clear.
    I just think my education is enough, that's why I went to a state school- not the privite my family did.
    Xx
  • Options
    I think if you were ever actually in that position, you would quickly change your tune.

Also, 'such a company'?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I think if you were ever actually in that position, you would quickly change your tune.

Also, 'such a company'?

I don't think I would tbh, I considering I'm spending my birthday at a protest against testing on animals. I take Animal rights very seriously, and wouldn't dream of earning money from their murder.

But, I would prefer not to get into my views, as we all know it doesn't end well. I'm happy to answer peoples questions and stuff, but I don't really want to argue. :)
    Xx
  • Options
    Well...

I think tumbleweed town sounds cool...
  • Options
    Well...

I think tumbleweed town sounds cool...

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: TUMBLEWEEDS..... YAY!!!
    Haha ;)
    Xx
  • Options
    Haha, I just don't think that ANYONE would go to latin lessons at my school. Ever. It'd be pointless, everyone would bunk.

If given the choice, would anyone attend school at all? Kinda the reasoning behind it being compulsory until the age of sixteen. In my opinion Latin should be compulsory, but then again, it falls into that category of "hard" subjects that Labour doesn't like, mainly as some people fail them and thus figures are harder to massage.

Before you think I'm having a go at BA, I'm not, well, I wasn't until she said that Latin and traditional subjects like Mathematics were pointless. My main beef was with the extremely suspect educational value of designing a theme park.

However, I also take exception to this comment:
    I just think my education is enough

That is just an awful, awful thing to say. I'm hoping for your sake that it was a silly throw-away comment. No-one's education is ever enough. Not mine, not yours, not Stephen Hawking's.
    I think personally that you don't have to be able to read and write to have a good life

I seriously hope you don't genuinely believe this. Once possibly, but not in this day and age.
    Franki wrote:
    And this is coming from me, who does a degree in a subject which, iirc, he considers easy and pointless

In fairness, that was meant to wind you up, after all the horrible names you call me :)
  • Options
    In fairness, that was meant to wind you up, after all the horrible names you call me :)

When do I ever call you horrible names ;o? Except for when you are mean to me and lose my phone number :p?
  • Options
    I attend very few lessons, and a lesson being mandatory doesn't mean anything to a lot of children.
    Also, I think there are more important things than Latin. Yes, maybe it'd be helpful in other subjects. But a lot of people in my year don't even know the alphabet in French, so learning another languge on top would make it very hard for them! I do 3, not including English, one of which is optional and another I had a choice about. And, I am happy as to how far I've come in learning them. This time last year I couldn't say anything in two of them, and now I can have whole convosations. In fact, I am getting better at Spanish than I am in French and I've been doing French for over a year and Spanish for a few months.

And yes, I do believe that you don't have to read and write to have a good life. There is a boy in year 11 at my school who is at a very young reading age, and writing too, yet he is happier than I. Happiness does not always come with achiving good grades.
    Xx