Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

FAO: Naun- concerning tumbleweeds

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I attend very few lessons, and a lesson being mandatory doesn't mean anything to a lot of children.

I know, horses and water and all that. Their future at the end of the day, not mine.
    Also, I think there are more important things than Latin. Yes, maybe it'd be helpful in other subjects. But a lot of people in my year don't even know the alphabet in French, so learning another languge on top would make it very hard for them!

So they don't know the alphabet in English? Last time I checked, the French alphabet is the same as ours, barring accents.
    I do 3, not including English, one of which is optional and another I had a choice about. And, I am happy as to how far I've come in learning them. This time last year I couldn't say anything in two of them, and now I can have whole convosations. In fact, I am getting better at Spanish than I am in French and I've been doing French for over a year and Spanish for a few months.

I guarantee that you would have advanced at least 25% quicker had you had a rudimentary grasp of Latin. Absolutely guarantee it.
    And yes, I do believe that you don't have to read and write to have a good life. There is a boy in year 11 at my school who is at a very young reading age, and writing too, yet he is happier than I. Happiness does not always come with achiving good grades.

One swallow does not a summer make. I wonder if he feels the same way in five years when he tries to get a job whilst being functionally illiterate.

So they don't know the alphabet in English? Last time I checked, the French alphabet is the same as ours, barring accents.

How to say it :rolleyes:
    Xx
    are you seriously trying to debate the worth of an academic education vs vocational?

it seems to me that broken angel has different educational values and interests to yours. different strokes for different folks. accept and move on rather than telling her to read fucking plato. however if you wanna continue massaging your ego and go through a literary itinerary with someone who has just started secondary school (im assuming based on age) then please go ahead.
    are you seriously trying to debate the worth of an academic education vs vocational?

it seems to me that broken angel has different educational values and interests to yours. different strokes for different folks. accept and move on rather than telling her to read fucking plato. however if you wanna continue massaging your ego and go through a literary itinerary with someone who has just started secondary school (im assuming based on age) then please go ahead.

Vocational learning should supplement traditional learning, not replace it. Maths, English and Science are fundamental, not only to one's progression through education, but to society as a whole. A career without basic literacy and numeracy skills? Forgot it.

Yet apparently, people are forgetting it. Otherwise stories like this wouldn't appear.

If you'd actually read what I'd written, you'd realise that firstly, I wasn't recommending she "read fucking plato", and secondly, it was to debate the merits of Classics, not to continue massaging my ego.
    Vocational learning should supplement traditional learning, not replace it. Maths, English and Science are fundamental, not only to one's progression through education, but to society as a whole. A career without basic literacy and numeracy skills? Forgot it.
    But some people do not enjoy school. If you want to debate the education system more widely than make that clear rather than tearing into a member's schooling who quite clearly can demonstrate literacy skills, numeracy skills and more. I think if you actually went back a few pages you'll see the example she posted in which it's pretty evident going by her subjects and topics that she is getting a sound education.
    Yet apparently, people are forgetting it. Otherwise stories like this wouldn't appear.
    It might be more apt for you to start a thread in the P&D forum rather than attacking an innocent thread about an enjoyable class project.
    If you'd actually read what I'd written, you'd realise that firstly, I wasn't recommending she "read fucking plato", and secondly, it was to debate the merits of Classics, not to continue massaging my ego
    my bad, fucking Cicero then.
    geneve wrote: »
    But some people don't like work, that doesn't be they just don't have to do it.

Of course, but people are still entitled to like or dislike something. ESPECIALLY something like compulsory education. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be compulsory but I think people really get the chance to shine when they reach the age that they can make a choice over what they want to do in life even if it isn't wetting yourself over Crime and Punishment.
    Dragging up an old thread like a damned noob, here's Boris on the benefits of Classics in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/7445850/This-lunacy-about-Latin-makes-me-want-to-weep-with-rage.html
    And yes, I do believe that you don't have to read and write to have a good life. There is a boy in year 11 at my school who is at a very young reading age, and writing too, yet he is happier than I. Happiness does not always come with achiving good grades.

Ignorance is bliss. :)
    Oh, TS you'll like this..
    My religous teacher said today "This would be so much easier if you all spoke Latin!" {When talking about extracts from the Bible}
    Xx
    Everyone should. Classics are the key to so, so much knowledge, both directly and indirectly.
    Coninsidence or what!? I'm currently watching the BBC news... and it's saying that 4% of state primary schools teach Latin.
    And that Borris Johnson whats everyone to learn it. Just thought I'd let you know :p
    Xx
    Still think it's a pointless pursuit?
    Still think it's a pointless pursuit?

I can see how it may be useful, but personally I would not want to take Latin.
    Xx
    I'd learn Latin over French anyday.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I'd learn Latin over French anyday.
    God yes.

*was shit at French*