Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ex found new guy, struggling to deal and no friends for support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

My on / off girlfriend of the past 5 years has found a new guy. We weren't officially going out for the past two years, but we split up because of her anxiety and I believed it was understood that when things were sorted, we would get back together. She has done really well this year in coping with her anxiety, and finally reached the point where she feels ready for a relationship again - but timing is a bitch and she just happened to meet some random guy by chance and has fallen for him.

I've been devastated despite not thinking I would be, thinking that I would be ok. I'm not holding her responsible, I mean we said (in part to take pressure off each other, pressure not being good for anxiety) that if we wanted to date other people that would be ok, we'd still be friends. But emotionally it's struck me so hard and I've been going through a cycle of grief, panic, despair, and so on.

The thing is - she became my best friend. She still wants to be best friends, and said to me the other day I'll always be the most important person to her. She said that our relationship / friendship would change, inevitably (like, we had frequent sleepovers! We were not sexually active or anything like that, but you know, pijamas film and takeaway ^^). Things like cuddling and little kisses on the head and such, that's going to all go. The intimacy in our special friendship is going to go, and she's ok with this now she has a new fellow (I don't blame her or him either, we did agree that we could date other people! I am just not dealing well), but I am grieving this loss a lot.

It is is worse for the fact that although I have friends at University, I don't have any so close that I can open up to and much less cry in front of. I am sure many guys can relate to this. Talking about it is so difficult, that when I told a friend back home that we were over for good he rang me up and I couldn't get two or three words out before saying I would have to ring him back. So really I have no healthy way to deal with this grief.

Now the routes I have narrowed down to 2 possible options (and a third which I won't pursue but it's there!).

1. Cut contact because I obviously have very strong feelings for her and until I can forget about these feelings it will always be painful knowing she doesn't want to be with me. I can meet someone else in time, perhaps. I am not good at meeting girls and much less developing a relationship but if I can do it once I can do it again. The reason I mention that is because focusing on developing new relationships is positive and will help me feel positive instead of focusing on the loss of this relationship.

2. Stay friends and stick to the plan - we said we'd be best friends no matter what, and if I feel upset about her boyfriend or whatever I can pretend I'm not or 'get over it'. This isn't ideal in dealing with *my* emotional needs but then I don't lose my best friend and maybe with time I will be able to deal with us just being friends. (Although it hurt yesterday when she said her new guy knows we are 'just mates' as that's never a term she's used to describe us before, and all our mutual friends would describe us as more than that I'm sure!)

3. Try my best with every trick in the book, knowing her better than anyone, to try to win her back, because how does she fall out of love with me and I not know about it until she says she's with someone new?? I'd love for this to be feasible but it's not and not healthy. Hm.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is because I've got nobody around me right now I can open up to and I'm finding it really difficult to deal with everything.

Comments

• Options
    Poor you :( What a horrible situation. I'm not surprised you're upset and I hope you do find someone to talk to "in person" as I think it will help you to let it all out. I would personally advocate no contact for a while, as trying to keep the friendship going while you're trying to get over your hurt and disappointment will probably just make things worse and prolong the process. It may well be that you two can be friends in time but you need to give yourself a bit of space to deal with these feelings and get used to the new situation you've found yourself in - being around her while you're doing this is going to be hard I would think. Take care of yourself and allow yourself to grieve - in some ways the end of a relationship is like a bereavement and it will do you good to let your emotions out. Keep posting too. Big hugs to you :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Only you can make this decision ShyBoy, based on what your instincts and your experiences to this day tell you will help you to feel better and move on.

Usually though, for anyone going through this kind of situation - the option below is the best.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    1. Cut contact because I obviously have very strong feelings for her and until I can forget about these feelings it will always be painful knowing she doesn't want to be with me. I can meet someone else in time, perhaps. I am not good at meeting girls and much less developing a relationship but if I can do it once I can do it again. The reason I mention that is because focusing on developing new relationships is positive and will help me feel positive instead of focusing on the loss of this relationship.

And if this happens then it doesn't mean that the relationship/friendship meant nothing, nor that you can't take positive things away from it. It simply means you're giving yourself the best chance of moving forward with your life and developing fresh and guilt free relationships.

If anything, beyond the sense of initial loss - the relief from being without all the anxiety that comes from maintaining contact with her in such complex situations will be immense.

Finally, as you've identified yourself, the fact that in the past you've had such a strong relationship with this girl shows that you're perfectly capable of making bonds with women and that your time will come again if you want it to. :)

*hugs*
  • Options
    Option 1 sounds the best option, definatly don't go with option 3!

It will be hard but I think it is something that you are just going to have to accept and get used to.
  • Options
    Am so sad. *sigh*

Yea I have housemates etc. and loads of people I talk to, on course and clubs and such (nearly all guys!), but I've never really wanted or needed to open up about my feelings to anyone beyond the usual moan about politics or something. Mentioned to a friend half hour ago about realising I felt more than her than was on the table and he said that was fairly obvious, but he didn't really give the impression he wanted / knew what to say and we left the conversation there. I've been texting a friend from uni as well who has been talking to me about random stuff but she's not really a close friend and I feel like I'm imposing on her a bit unloading on her. Though she knows I'm upset and knows that I'm finding the distraction / texting helpful.
  • Options
    Mentioned it to another housemate who I could feel really felt bad for me, I said maybe I was unjustified (since we said we were technically single and we could date people) and he just had a pained look on his face and said he didn't think my feelings were unjustified at all.
  • Options
    You need to point out to the girl that you have purposely stayed single for her. Then you need to point out that had you known that she was on the pull, you (ShyBoy) could have done the same. Yes, you did put all of your eggs into one basket but it's unfair because she made you do that.
  • Options
    She wasn't on the pull as such, but when an opportunity presented itself she has gone for it. Its just a sucky situation. Had a talk with her today as I couldn't cope with the fact she seemed unbothered by things and said why it was affecting me so much and that for me this was a 'proper' break up (for her it didnt seem any different from business as usual) and I don't know it helped to see that it meant something to her too, validated my grieving or something. Still sad, of course, but not asking why why why why.

I'm scared that tomorrow itll hurt again, but for the time being the crunching aching pain is gone and instead replaced by tiredness, urge to avoid all causes of stress like work, and avoid thinking about things. Wish I knew more people up here to talk to, though I am making an effort, I can't unload on people I don't really know very well.
  • Options
    With the way things are, trying to be her friend and pretend all is normal isn't going to be the best option. You're just torturing yourself and it's not healthy. If it was the other way round, then if she said what same to you and then would you not understand?

Especially with the lack of a support network at uni then i'd cut all contact, you're in the best place to have things to distract you and meet new people, it's what uni is about and it's what'll help you move on.

If you were that good/special friends to her then once you have come to terms with it then you should be able to rebuild your friendship with her, if not then it obviously wasn't...
  • Options
    It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. You are very kind and trusting and understanding, but you might be being more lovely and supportive than she deserves. And possibly a bit naive, too.

From an outsider's point of view, it sounds like she has told you whatever she thought you wanted to hear to keep you as her back up option and keep you sweet, even though she knew her heart wasn't really in it. (I'm not even sure I buy the whole 'splitting up because of her anxiety' thing, which sounds just odd. Surely if she had an anxiety problem she would want to be with you?) She's been stringing you along as a fall back option while she was on the lookout for someone else, and now he's come along, she's finally got round to doing what she should have done a long time ago, and finished it properly so you can get on with your life.

I think you should get angry! You shouldn't want to remain friends, she's treated you terribly. Get her out of your life for good, and you can finally move on and meet someone else.
  • Options
    yea you're right. There is the issue that I don't really have anyone else to talk to. I confronted her over IM about some stuff like only a few weeks ago she was kissing me and telling me she loved me, and she just said she thought I realised we weren't together (I literally said 5 weeks ago "By the way, I still secretly think you're my girlfriend, don't tell anyone." - so how she didn't realise I thought we were more than friends I don't know).

I said I thought it was a blookcs - her thinking we were just friends and she didn't open up about it just said

i don't know, i'm just telling you what i think

if you don't believe me thats fair enough, thats what you think

Then not long after said she was going to do some work. But she's never blanked me out before really. So I guess it is all over because she can't even be bothered to talk to me. A bit of me is thinking really it's because she's hung up over the new guy, and wants to be able to go out with him, and the easy way to do that is go 'lol im not in a real relationship anyway so it doesnt matter'. She can then justify to herself that if it hurts me, that's my fault because I obviously got the wrong end of the stick, and yes its unfortunate but not her problem.

How can people be so cold hearted...
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    And if this happens then it doesn't mean that the relationship/friendship meant nothing, nor that you can't take positive things away from it. It simply means you're giving yourself the best chance of moving forward with your life and developing fresh and guilt free relationships.

Well it didn't mean anything to her. She's not even grieving, she's just pitying me.
  • Options
    I'm with Jamelia on this one, it sounds like from going to a good friendship with you it turned into some kind of semi fuckbuddy thing where you were the crutch while she waited for someone she wanted more.

I wont call you silly, naive or any of that - just another guy pissed around by a woman playing games with you and to be frank you should tell her to shit or get off the pot and not come crying to you when she breaks up with the guy :yes:

Sometimes when women are being mental and selfish and every gentlemanly instinct says no, you just gotta tell em to go fuck themselves.
  • Options
    for the record we weren't sleeping together or anything like that, that was part of the stressful routine (obligations to be a 'good girlfriend' meant she felt she had to provide sex on tap, meaning that sex became a stressful ratehr than enjoyable thing, part of the reason we were just friends so there were -no- obligations).

But I do agree, and I've spoke to yet more friends today who when I told them they basically said 'what the fuck' because pretty much *everyone* who knows either of us perceived us as being together. My current theory is as above she does want to go out with new guy but that incurs guilt because she's leaving me so instead of doing that she can just pretend we werent really going out anyway so if I'm upset it's nothing to do with her.

I also observed to another friend how she's avoiding me now and lying about it (saying she's too busy to talk, etc.) and how life sucks when the person you're closest to one day and more open about anything, goes to avoiding you and stupid lies the next day. It's not even like I was hounding her, I just said hi over msn and she was untalkative, and then said she was too busy to talk right now - flat out blanked me despite saying yesterday "Oh everything that has been going on, I've felt that we've just been friends, so really for me nothing has changed between us, it's just you that obviously saw things differently." and yet the very next day she's acting -completely- differently.

If there's one thing I hate and can't abide in someone I trust its lies and crap like 'ohh sorry I'm too busy this week to hang out' or things along those lines. And she should know that. But I wonder if she cares anymore, maybe she has just written me off and decided to focus her energies on new guy. 5 years of friendship and relationship and love worth less than a guy she met two weeks ago.

But as you say she will be crying in a few weeks when things go pear shaped, she's already been crying saying how back home away from Uni I'm her only friend and all our other friends are kinda on my side (BECAUSE WE WERE NOT 'JUST FRIENDS' WHICH IS THE SHITTIEST BREAK UP LINE IVE EVER HEARD AND REALLY CANT BELIEVE THAT SHIT AFTER FIVE YEARS).

Qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq for her. Lifes *so* hard.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well it didn't mean anything to her. She's not even grieving, she's just pitying me.

ShyBoy, it's good that you're letting all this out, but try not to let your feelings of hurt at this point cloud your judgement. The more you talk about this the more it's becoming clear that the most positive thing for you to do is say to yourself enough. You're getting bogged down in all these small things about her behaviour now, when they don't really seem to be the issue.

Try to consider the big picture again - it sounds like you were holding onto an unhealthy relationship that wasn't sustainable and the chances are you've been feeling insecure about it for a long time.

Did you ever truly feel at peace/ease since you split up and were in this limbo?

Do you really even want to be with her considering how you felt when you split up?

If you can say no and no to these things - not necessarily right now, but in a few days time, then it will allow you to see that her cold attitude right now loses significance to a point and your positive future is way, way more important. :)
  • Options
    Yea you're right, I just find it really helpful to keep posting here. Like I said I've approached a lot of people I wouldn't normally and they have been really sympathetic and it helps, but my way of dealing with emotional issues is talking / sleeping / talking and here is a really good place to get things off my chest :D.

But yea after this morning I made the decision to leave her to stew if she isnt going to make an effort and so focused elsewhere

For what it's worth in the limbo things were good, we absolutely were best friends and in my and everyone elses opinion except hers we were more than that, but I'm not dwelling on that now. And no I don't really feel I can be with her now not just because of this sillyness about just being friends but also because she is making it clear she only cared about me when it suited her and now she has the new guy, I'm fairly disposable.

Some would say best friends are for life, not until the next guy comes along! Anyway I've invited a friend round tonight and she seems pretty keen to hang out so I can forget about the ex and concentrate on new friendships. I almost cried earlier when I told a different friend about things and they were so nice about things :'), said anytime I want to go out to the pub or whatever to let them know.
  • Options
    Hi ShyBoy. I haven't got any info to offer, but please be assured that I am taking a deep interest in this and I am rooting for you that tonight with your new friend goes brilliant and that she doesn't turn to be fickle either. Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    Thanks Monserrat :). I think it will be nice to enjoy someones company and not to have to be focused on shitty stuff!
  • Options
    This evening went better than expected! She was fairly keen on talking to me, but I thought it might be because she's normally shy and she has a friend, but when she was going through pics on her phone and showing me a pic of her boyfriend popped up and she just skipped him rather than explain (obviously I've facebooked her so I could tell). It was quite telling!

Then we were lying on my bed making eye contact and talking / poking and I reckoned if I'd have kissed her she wouldn't have stopped me. Of course, a) she has a boyfriend and I seriously don't like the idea of messing a relationship up b) this is like, t plus 2 days for me so no need for any complications, don't want to mess up the only close friend I have right now and c) maybe I'm wrong! But now I've kind of adopted the 'ah well' attitude I'm feeling a bit more reckless :s because I don't need to worry.

But the plus side is, really nice talk, and got on well. I think she has a soft spot for me, she asked me about everything that had happened and was saying 'well, on the bright side now you could date people if you wanted'. It was just one of those things where you were getting the right signals. Not that anything needs to come of that soft spot especially considering she has a boyfriend, but it was nice to know someone cared. Might be meeting up for lunch tomorrow too, she said she wants to see me later in the week but we will work out when (she is much more dilligent in attending lectures than myself).

Pretty much all my friends both home and here have rallied a bit now, even people I wouldn't speak to much normally, and are being really cool. Might be going to a concert next week with some friends. So things are starting to pan out for me. I don't know what to expect next, but things yesterday / sunday were worse than they are today, so lets hope tomorrow is better still.
  • Options
    So, I'm drawing strength from my friends and from this new friend who is pretty nice. I'm finding it up and down. I've been avoiding speaking to her, but it doesn't stop me thinking about her. After I confronted her yesterday and got off my chest that she was basically being a dick to me :p she ignored me for the rest of yesterday, but then today she was acting like we're best friends and trying to pretend none of this had happened - calling me by my pet name she had for me and everything.

I was fairly standoffish and cold with her just replying to the bare minimum to not be openly ignoring her, but then she went away, came back, and has ignored me since. But I am not going to talk to her tbh and feed her ego by running after her while she's running off with this guy, so she can revel in having two guys fight it out over her (even if not with each other, just throw attention at her to make her feel good).

If she wants to drop me she's going to have to suffer for it by losing me, she doesn't get to take the easy way of having everything.
  • Options
    Pardon me for saying so, but although you "went out" for 5 years, it doesn't seem to me that your girlfriend was much of a girlfriend. From your description of your relationship, you really were "just friends" ... and, as I have said elsewhere, relationships between friends often don't go anywhere in the long run. The problem may have been that you had different expectations from the start, and she didn't want to hurt your feelings with outright rejection - something that she has now managed to do in spectacular fashion.

My advice to you is that you need to get a bit more savvy in terms of reading the signs. This other friend of yours is happy to lie on a bed with you, tease you, and you think she would have let you kiss her - and she is in a serious relationship?! I don't think so. I'd give it a whirl next time you have the opportunity. If she leads you on, it is because she finds you attractive. I don't see why you would worry about messing up the friendship. It's time you got yourself a proper girlfriend - not just some sop who wears pyjamas and enjoys a cuddle in front of the TV!
  • Options
    Obviously I don't know her, but maybe she wants to be with this new guy because he's new? If her anxiety was as bad as you say she might want to be with someone who doesn't know about it so she can be who see feels she really is rather than a girl with anxiety problems.
    In terms of your friendship with her, does she seem to care about you as much as you care about her? If you've had a bad day or something does she listen to you rant or try to make you feel better about it? If she acts in a way that shows that she cares about you maybe she just feels completely safe with you and wasn't trying to give you the wrong impression.
  • Options
    Yea I think that's one of the attractions to the new guy, which I can't really blame her for. Can't blame her for liking someone else in any circumstance.

I can blame her for her handling of the issue though :p but really that's a mute point, what matters more for me right now is dealing with my own emotions, it's obviously a massive thing for me and it doesn't matter whether she's faking whatever or confused or happy it doesn't change the big things I need to deal with... with that in mind I'll probs still keep posting here as it's really cathartic :) and nice to be able to actually put 'pen to paper' about whats going on, rather than just stewing over in my head.

A bit like a diary I suppose, except I'm really vain and need people to comment and care. Makes me feel better :).
  • Options
    It's understandable that you want people to care about this, because I can see why it would seem like she didn't care enough. From what you've said, though, I don't think it's that she doesn't care about you. It sounds like she's had a lot of her own problems to deal with and wasn't thinking from your perspective when she should have been. You should keep posting, and it's good that it's making you feel better.
  • Options
    Yea its not been an easy 5 years lots of ups and downs, she cheated on me really badly and tbh if I didn't love her so much I should have ended it there. But we split for a while and then she fell out with the other guy and was completely lost / depressed as she felt she had nobody, she turned to me for support and I turned to her as I still <3ed her. We got back together 2/3 months later, went out for a year, split up again as stress of relatinoships were too much for her and since then been acting like a couple / best friends (except without sex, but with all the intimate cuddling / holidays / whatever) and then she drops a blinder saying shes met someone else and she hopes I'm ok with that. It wouldn't have taken a lot really to sit down and talk to me whenever she felt like she wanted to move on and didn't want us to be half acting like a couple anymore. Maybe she needed the support I gave her until she found someone else, mind.

But its not just me who is seeing things these ways, some mutual friends agree with me and think shes been really inconsiderate and is just getting out of the difficulty of a "talk" by pretending we were -just- friends. Or 'just mates' as she put it, which is almost laughable.

In better news I'm just focusing on this new friendship which seems to be going well :) she was going to come round today but is ranting right now about how she wants to come see me but has work and deadlines and doesn't know what to do. It's nice in a bizarre way to know that the lack-of-seeing-me can get to someone :p. It's sweet :). I am generally a lot less sentimental about people personally and if I had work or something else to do I wouldn't really be gutted about not seeing them . . . which indicates she is a bit more sentimental about me than on average, which is only good for my ego at this particularly sensitive time :p
  • Options
    Dude I totally agree she has treated you badley but in a way she has sorta done you a favour by acting so selfish and insensitively,when your missing her and thinking about her just try to remember how heartless and cold she has acted towards you.
    I know not all females are the same but some can be so cold about things.
    and when she and the new guys not working so well dont go backwards and be her 'friend' again.
    Move on and have some fun and flirtings kool will make you feel a bit better about things.
  • Options
    :( i found out (through my own fault) he stayed at hers last night and they 'hooked up;. Need some friends.
  • Options
    I wish there was an anti-heartache pill. Hurts so much right now! I spoke to one of my friends on the phone and it has helped a bit, but still wish that there was some kind soul in my house giving me cuddles and letting me cry a lot.
  • Options
    God I'm an idiot. Feeling better now. I think early in morning and late at night are worse for me, as stress wakes me up / stops me sleeping, and I end up dwelling on things. Now I've had a cup of tea and some magic stuff I am feeling much better. Feel a bit of a berk for getting soppy and phoning her and stuff. Really I need someone to tie me down while I'm stressed and/or upset to stop me doing stupid things. Lol, it's like the classic how people phone their exes when drunk saying they love them so much, except for me I'm not drunk, just can't sleep...
  • Options
    up and down, up and down, like a rollercoaster. She said she was going to come see me today, in pretending that everything was fine. Then she cancelled on me and said if I didn't mind she ahd work to do. It is for the best anyway really, and I wouldn't really be surprised if the reason she is avoiding seeing me is because she knows I need some time without her in my face. She is so cool, calm and collected about the whole issue, it makes me very jealous (as someone who is usually good at keeping his shit together, on the one time I can't it's kind of annoying the girl who I have been helping keep her shit together for so long can! like a complete reversal of roles, except she isn't there for me :P).

*deep breaths* you can tell when your friends find it awkward, when you type on facebook 'is finding it really difficult to move on' and not one person says anything . . .
  • Options
    Just phoned my mum and she really isn't helpful, but I don't really have anyone else to speak to right now. I said I posted 'I'm feeling down' on my facebook and she thinks I should keep that private as people might have a go at my ex for me feeling down. *sigh* I tried to explain to my mum that I don't need her to patronise me (I'm 22!) I just need someone to talk to and get things off my chest but she can't help telling me what I'm doing wrong.