Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

freerange chicken

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
its freerange so automatically people think it's had a good life. but has it? im just curious to know what people know about it. do theyre beaks still get burnt and clipped?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142#

id watch this. its a documentary on the reliance we have on animals

Comments

• Options
    Not really that bothered whether what I eat is freerange or not, it's price I go on.
  • Options
    do you say that after watching that documentary or is it just a view which youv taken without actually looking what goes on??
  • Options
    I don't need to watch a documentary about chickens to know that I don't care about the conditions they live or die in compared to the hole that buying one might make in my pocket.
  • Options
    its not just about chickens..its about the reliance on animals in general. i think its ignorant for people to not care about where their meat/clothes come from regardless of the fact you may not change the way you shop.
  • Options
    I always by free range eggs, meat I am slightly more guilty of maybe not buying free range, but on a student budget I do what I can afford. When I get a job I'll definately get free range 100% of the time. :thumb:

You mean to say that pictures and the reality of chickens sitting in cages/barns and ill from sitting in their own crap and not being able to walk is less important than price? kind of a shame... :no:
  • Options
    Don't give a shit where it is from just as long as I can feed my family.
  • Options
    People who purchase eggs/meat on price rather than animal welfare make me fucking sick
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    People who purchase eggs/meat on price rather than animal welfare make me fucking sick

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to care, compared to most people here...we are fairly well off, but i still cant justify spending £10+ on a chicken (which is what free range costs here)! I try to buy as much organic/free range/ fair trade as i can, but to be brutally honest, if i had to buy either free range or fair trade i would go for the fair trade a million times. I'd prefer making a human life better before an animals.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Not everyone has the luxury of being able to care, compared to most people here...we are fairly well off, but i still cant justify spending £10+ on a chicken (which is what free range costs here)! I try to buy as much organic/free range/ fair trade as i can, but to be brutally honest, if i had to buy either free range or fair trade i would go for the fair trade a million times. I'd prefer making a human life better before an animals.

Actually I was a student with an income of less than £4k a year and I never stooped so low as to buy battery farm eggs. Then I was working earning less than minimum wage, if I couldn't afford free range then I didn't buy.

Now I earn £15k which is hardly a massive income, and I still consider eggs to be a luxury not a right.

You can't justify £10 on a chicken, I can't justify animal cruelty.
  • Options
    But this is where the food industry needs to change, people on higher income brackets need to start using their money to force the industry to change. Free range, organic and fair trade to me should be a standard and battery chickens/eggs/non organic produce should be budget items for people who really can't afford anything else. Unfortunnately because people aren't exercising the right to influence, prices are still high and will continue to remain high until there is more education about the harmful effects of hormones, pesticides, chemicals added to food and until people really begin to care about millions of people being exploited and animals being mistreated.

But unfortunately, people care more about how little they spend on food rather than its effects on their bodies or how it affects others.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    But this is where the food industry needs to change, people on higher income brackets need to start using their money to force the industry to change. Free range, organic and fair trade to me should be a standard and battery chickens/eggs/non organic produce should be budget items for people who really can't afford anything else. Unfortunnately because people aren't exercising the right to influence, prices are still high and will continue to remain high until there is more education about the harmful effects of hormones, pesticides, chemicals added to food and until people really begin to care about millions of people being exploited and animals being mistreated.

But unfortunately, people care more about how little they spend on food rather than its effects on their bodies or how it affects others.

Yep, as shown by this thread there are some nasty people who don't give a fuck about animal welfare and are quite happy to support what I can only describe as disgusting practices to save a couple of quid on their shopping, probably so they can afford the luxury of throwing away a third of their food shopping (a truly appauling statistic).

While people continue to be ignorant about the cruelty and suffering that allows prices to be driven down, then cheap eggs and meat will remain a 'right' which I think is wrong.

I don't think it is people on higher income brackets to make the change (although what their excuse for buying battery chickens and eggs is I would love to know), I think everybody who has a conscience need to stand up and say this isn't right, vote with your wallets and do your bit to say no to battery farming.

Even at my lowest income of less than £100 per week with no benefits (rent was £68 pw ffs) I would never buy battery eggs, I would forfit something else and make them last. I'm hardly standing here from my palace preaching at other people to change, we hardly have 2 pennies to rub together yet I am not prepared to support cruelty to animals for my own personal greed.

I have absolutley NO respect for people who buy battery chickens and eggs knowing full well the life they have had, with the option of spending a few more pennies and helping to make a difference. Even worse, people like hellfire and katralla who out and out don't give a shit about animal cruelty, I don't believe that you could have a heart. Disgusting.
  • Options
    I'm totally agree with you, but at the same time i think people with famillies have other priorities. Take me as an example, last month we had about 40pounds to last us (a family of four) two weeks, for petrol, baby milk/food, nappies and food for ourselves. At that point i really didn't care what type of eggs we bought.
  • Options
    I have a heart, for PEOPLE who I love. I buy about 50 eggs a week at the moment as they're cheap energy and quick and easy to cook for any meal at any time. I have a conscience but chickens and eggs don't enter into to, we just draw the line in a different place, I'm sure you don't care what kind of life your grass has when you mow your lawn?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I have a conscience but chickens and eggs don't enter into to, we just draw the line in a different place, I'm sure you don't care what kind of life your grass has when you mow your lawn?

Yeah but grass doesn't have a consience and feelings so it really doesn't matter about that... chickens do though... If plants could feel stuff, like animals, then we'd have a real problem.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I have a heart, for PEOPLE who I love. I buy about 50 eggs a week at the moment as they're cheap energy and quick and easy to cook for any meal at any time. I have a conscience but chickens and eggs don't enter into to, we just draw the line in a different place, I'm sure you don't care what kind of life your grass has when you mow your lawn?

Are you kidding? On the most basic level - a chicken can feel pain...grass can't

Now I have even less respect for you, bring that level of ignorance into the arguement. Are you seriously telling me that grass is the same as a chicken? Fucking hell, with brains like that how do you walk down the street without falling over.

And 50 eggs a week?! Correct me if I'm wrong but you have one daughter, if you have a partner then that makes 3 of you. Thats 16 eggs a week each. Thats a lot. You can make cheap and nutritious meals from other ingredients than eggs. What about vegetables and pulses? Is eggs all you can cook??

I live with my partner and we buy 6 eggs a week. I use them for baking, and any left over is eaten on the weekend for cooked breakfast. Like I say eggs are a luxury, I respect where they came from and only ever buy free range. At the moment we can't keep chickens, but as soon as we move house we will and then they will be truly free range.

I don't know why I'm busting a gut to make a difference when there's fucking retards like katralla who clearly don't give a shit about a living creature. No you don't have a heart if you can let animals live a life of cruelty so you can eat an obscene amount of eggs every week. You disgust me
  • Options
    A Chicken may be able to feel physical pain but it is still a mindless automaton.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    A Chicken may be able to feel physical pain but it is still a mindless automaton.

Please say you're not being serious??.
  • Options
    I don't know why I'm busting a gut to make a difference when there's fucking retards like katralla who clearly don't give a shit about a living creature. No you don't have a heart if you can let animals live a life of cruelty so you can eat an obscene amount of eggs every week. You disgust me

If I were going to resort to immature name calling, I would say that you are the retard, wasting your energy on caring about eggs and chickens when there are much more important things to think about and campaign for first.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Funny how a lot of die hard vegetarians always like to provide evidence of animals being killed when trying to shock me into changing my mind. I've been hunting since a kid, used to keep chickens and have reared a couple of cows for slaughter in the past. Im under no illusions where meat comes from and that it was once living creature. I still eat meat though.

Where possible I will buy free range chcken and happy pork, something that's quite easy for me to do living where I do and being friends with many people who keep such animals. However I don't go to stupid lengths to make sure everything I eat is happy. I don't worry too much about where the eggs and bacon is from when I buy a English breakfast at a cafe for instance.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

Even if it is a 'mindless automaton' that isn't able to fall in love, or grieve, or whatever makes a human human, if it can still feel pain, then isn't it worth saving them that pain..?
  • Options
    And 50 eggs a week?! Correct me if I'm wrong but you have one daughter, if you have a partner then that makes 3 of you. Thats 16 eggs a week each. Thats a lot. You can make cheap and nutritious meals from other ingredients than eggs. What about vegetables and pulses? Is eggs all you can cook??

Not really, i eat 2 eggs a day for breakfast. So times that by 3 that's 6 eggs a day, 42 eggs a week. Take into it if you bake etc. then maybe slightly higher than average but not shocking. Don't really fancy vegatables on my toast nor baked beans so after a hard very early start down the stables scrambled egg on wholemeal goes down a treat and yes i can cook more than eggs thanks.

And no matter what the opinion resorting to calling someone a retard and thick as fuck isn't exactly going to get anyone to understand the cause you're trying to highlight?

I'm like Skive, i buy free range and happy meat because i'm in the country and got friends who supply stuff like that.
  • Options
    I buy my cider from a farm up the road- does that make a me a better person? lol
  • Options
    No it probably just makes you much more drunk on home farm brewed cider :D

It's all relative really isn't it. I'm a hypocrite anyway. I buy free range but i'm a barbarian as i go shooting and stuff :chin: Personal choice. Although i'll probably get called a retard next, ah well, won't be the first time :yes:
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    No it probably just makes you much more drunk on home farm brewed cider :D

It's all relative really isn't it. I'm a hypocrite anyway. I buy free range but i'm a barbarian as i go shooting and stuff :chin: Personal choice. Although i'll probably get called a retard next, ah well, won't be the first time :yes:

do you eat what you hunt? because if you do, thats the difference -you know where your meat's coming from and atleast its (hopefully) a quick and painless death.
  • Options
    freerange chicken

Class has to do with the quality of the produce. So Class A is typically what you will see in supermarkets, as it has to be in great condition.
    Lower classes like B etc, would mainly be used in food processing.
    Force Max

Force Max
  • Options
    You know guys: It's a lot cheaper to live on fruit and veg. So moaning about the price is stupid.

I have much more to say.... but it'll only start arguments :-)
    Xx
  • Options
    Well, don't be afraid to say what you want to for fear of starting a debate. This place is all about sharing ideas etc.
  • Options
    You know guys: It's a lot cheaper to live on fruit and veg. So moaning about the price is stupid.

I have much more to say.... but it'll only start arguments :-)
    Xx

whatever you'll have to say iv heard it many times already :) my brother's a full on vegan and completely against anything animal incorporated. if you just live on fruit and veg your not gonna get the right amount of nutrients your body needs, regardless to say that by reducing the amount of dairy products/meat etc your body feels better.
  • Options
    Right then I have this to say:
    As a vegan, I can't see how you can justify murder. Because at the end of the day, no matter if you buy free-range or not, the more animals and animal produce you buy the more must be killed for your personal greed. It is disgusting. You have milk today? Well congrats, because of you another cow will be forced to have a baby and then have it's milk stolen for you breakfast. Or maybe you had toast? Same goes for that butter. Or, prehaps you had scrambled eggs? Well, another chicken has just had it's beak clipped and been put in a cage.
    Well done, I hope you enjoyed breakfast.
    Xx
  • Options
    Because I can and It is yummy,

Other animals eat other animals and regardless of how much abuse or being called a murderer I will still go home tonight and have a nice bit of chicken.. :yum:

You said you can't see how we can eat animal produce, we'll I'll tel you how, quite easy I go into a shop and find the biggest juiciest chicken I can find, corn fed the better, buy it take it home, slow roast it till it is nice and cooked with lots of juices, sometimes I even season it, then I eat it, just like that, Killing an animal for nourishment and food doesn't bother me, killing an animal fullstop doesn't.

With regard's to freerange, I'll eat what I damn well like, freerange or not, I do not justify paying over the odds so a chicken can have a "good" life, is it wrong, fuck no I do not know the chicken or quite care about it, I just want to eat it,

Is it harsh? yes but tough shit, if you spend life going around looking out for others and not looking out for yourself you'll get fucked, shit happens animals die they get treated like shit, I DO NOT CARE, not my problem. I have better things to concentrate on.