Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whats everyone working on at the moment!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's been a bit quiet on the knit and crochet front lately! What's everyone working on :chin:

I've been super busy lately so the granny square blanket I started has been making slow progress. I have 41 finished and blocked squares, according to my calculations I want 48 squares, however when they're all laid out on the bed I may decide it's too small and need another 20 squares! Which I don't think is going to happen because I'm coming to the end of my scrap yarn stash with all the crappy yarn that I don't really like so I think it's nearly time to call it a day.

Will hopefully finish the main part of it this week so can post some pictards!

Then I'm planning to start two crochet scarfs and some mittens for christmas presents.

I've also started a dressmaking class yesterday so hopefully I will be able to start producing some clothes soon as well!

So there ya go that's all my news, tell me what you're all working on, with pictures as well please because I'm nosy!

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am making a stained glass afghan but haven't picked it up for over a month. I've not gotten very far - i've done 4 of the circles. I'm using a DK weight yarn rather than the aran one suggested so I think I will need more than 12 squares. We'll see. I want to have it finished by Christmas. Once I get madam's routine in place and I can find some knitting time!
  • Options
    My truly epic granny blanket:

3788624075_2fbc99c11a.jpg

3778229489_6203c9ccc9.jpg

I've nearly done 17 (of 24) blocks. It's turning into a marathon!
  • Options
    Littlemissy the stained glass is lovely!

Olive, is that the same as Attic24 blanket? It looks huge!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Olive, is that the same as Attic24 blanket? It looks huge!

Yep, based very much on that one :)

Each of the blocks is about 9'' square, so it's not huge. It'll be about 3.5 x 5 foot when it's done! Hopefully just big enough for snoozing under on the sofa :D
  • Options
    Damn after laying the squares out on the bed it is smaller than expected!

I was going to do 6x8 squares but now it looks like 7x7 will be better (have to make an extra square now :grump: )

7x8 would be ideal but yarn is looking decidedly thin on the ground! Oh what to do, decisions etc argh. Am getting annoyed with granny square blanket now, it is not playing fair
  • Options
    enormous blanket:
    P8123214.jpg
    (yes it's an attic24-alike! I have done 5 rounds of edging round the whole thing since I took that photo, aaand I still have 6 more to go. It takes a whole evening to go round it once though!

P9154336.jpg

Stripy cotton blanket:
    P9074277.jpg

and a bit of a ripple :) going to be a scarf. If this works out I have another scarf planned, and I have started ordering the yarn for my sister's Christmas Blanket.

I only started this last night so it's not very big yet:

P9154328.jpg

P9154331.jpg
  • Options
    i would love to do that :grump: or just own one!
  • Options
    They are vveerryyy good! I joined a cross-stitch club once... but got kicked out, and I've never done knitting.
    C-A x
  • Options
    me neither, I do crochet :)
  • Options
    Ooh, I :heart: ripple!
  • Options
    Me too! It is now 7 stripes (so 14 rows) longer than it was when I took that photo. :heart: rippling.
  • Options
    What gorgeous blankets on here! KHSS, you are such a speed demon too!
  • Options
    Ah I also love the ripple! One of my xmas scarves is going to be ripply, but lengthways not widthways

Had to tidy away granny blanket before I could take a photo last night, it's looking a bit mental with all the colours. The trick is going to be trying not to end up with red squares next to pink :O I fear it may happen anyway

KHSS how do you find some much time for crochet!
  • Options
    It's grown!
    ripple.jpg

I am taking it to work with me at the moment, and each stripe (2 rows) only takes 7 or 8 minutes to do.

I just find time because it's what I like to do at the moment - my job is really not very demanding so I have plenty of evening time to do it in.
  • Options
    I am waiting for yarn to arrive so I can start some xmas scarves - ah I hate waiting!

KHSS I love the colours of the scarf! Are you still using Rowan dk?

I am using Sirdar dk for my scarves as it is £1.50 for 100g ball and is nice and soft, probably not as soft as others but it's cheap and cheerful :)
  • Options
    yep, still using rowan dk. 4 more balls of it arrived just now :D I have been using up all the leftovers from my big blanket but I ran out of yellow, orange and purple which I needed to even up all the green and pink so I had to order more. Multicoloured stripes look crap if it is REALLY random and not randomly organised.

where do you get your sirdar from? I had a look at the DK click which looked good, I think it is a bit acrylic though.

I was going to make my sister's christmas blanket in patons cotton dk but I'm not feeling the love for that - it feels a bit rope like and is not snuggly in the slightest and she really is like a little dormouse and needs something snuggly. I'm leaning towards rowan dk for that, too. I really like working with that :yes:
  • Options
    from ebay. its 100% acrylic. i'm not a yarn snob lol!
  • Options
    LOL! did I come across as a yarn snob? Sorry! I probably am, oh well.
  • Options
    from ebay. its 100% acrylic. i'm not a yarn snob lol!

Is it the sirdar bonus dk? I do like that stuff. That's (mainly) what I am making my blankie out of. It's very much cheap and cheerful but perfect for washables. And it washes up rather nicely. They have now become Hayfields though. Oh, and I think you were done if it was 1.50. You can get it cheaper than that :p

If it's the click stuff then, my advice, use a larger sized needle than the one stated on the label. I made a scarf out of click and it's rather tight even though I used the stated needle size. Next time I will use a larger needle. It was yummy to work with though :)
  • Options
    Working out a low impact circuit session for use in the gym for the next two weeks, to aid in the recovery of my smashed knee :P
  • Options
    LOL! did I come across as a yarn snob? Sorry! I probably am, oh well.

LOL! I didn't mean that! Haha reading it back that came out a bit wrong! Sorry :) Just pretty much all the people I know prefer to knit with wool, but I just tend to go with cheap and chearful. Probably because even though i've been knitting more than 2 years I am still doubtful that the things I've made are actually going to turn out nice lol so I'm reluctant to use expensive yarn! :blush:

Also most of my family are allergic to wool/lanolin so I bought the Sirdar yarn for that but then it was quite soft and I liked it. Mind I splashed out on a ball of debbie bliss cashmerino aran and it's soooooooooooooo soft and yummy, but I could never afford to make anything bigger than gloves with such expensive yarn! It is lush though.

The granny square blanket I'm making at the moment is pure thrift though, nearly big enough to lay out on a double bed the cost comes in at a grand total of £11 :D It's entirely made of scrap yarn from other projects, donated oddments and a load of cream yarn I had off ebay. I had 850g for £6 (inc postage) but I have no idea what it's made of cos there was no labels! It's not scratchy but it's not soft so it'll definitely be a throw rather than a cuddly blanket.
  • Options
    Is it the sirdar bonus dk? I do like that stuff. That's (mainly) what I am making my blankie out of. It's very much cheap and cheerful but perfect for washables. And it washes up rather nicely. They have now become Hayfields though. Oh, and I think you were done if it was 1.50. You can get it cheaper than that :p

Where can you get it cheaper than £1.50? Including postage? DAMN! Tell me where I must know!

It is Sirdar bonus dk and I do like it muchley :)
  • Options
    Where can you get it cheaper than £1.50? Including postage? DAMN! Tell me where I must know!

Hobbycraft!

Or here. It looks like a dodgy website but my mum knits for charity and has bought loads there over the last couple of years.

EDIT: The hayfield bonus is the same as the sirdar bonus - hayfield has taken over some of sirdar :)
  • Options

Aye, it's 98p in the Sirdar shop in Leeds. Or it was. I haven't been in since the time the woman chucked me out! :(

Nowt wrong with a spot of acrylic, I've used Bonus many a time. But once you go posh it's so hard to go back!
  • Options
    Hobbycraft!

Or here. It looks like a dodgy website but my mum knits for charity and has bought loads there over the last couple of years.

EDIT: The hayfield bonus is the same as the sirdar bonus - hayfield has taken over some of sirdar :)

Oh I shall have to go to hobbycraft. There's not many places to buy yarn round here so I usually buy off internet

Ah being confused. bonus dk is £1.30 on that website, plus postage. Will look in hobbycraft though :)

There's a much bigger choice of colours than on ebay. I'm waiting for velvet plum at the mo :)
  • Options
    Oh I shall have to go to hobbycraft. There's not many places to buy yarn round here so I usually buy off internet

Ah being confused. bonus dk is £1.30 on that website, plus postage. Will look in hobbycraft though :)

There's a much bigger choice of colours than on ebay. I'm waiting for velvet plum at the mo :)

But the postage is only £2.50 for as much as you want :)

Hobbycraft is better though, if you are near one. It used to be £1.35 per ball. I imagine it is still about the same, though.
  • Options
    But the postage is only £2.50 for as much as you want :)

Hobbycraft is better though, if you are near one. It used to be £1.35 per ball. I imagine it is still about the same, though.

Haha yes but I am already in trouble with the amount of yarn I stash away in the house, I would have to buy at least 9 balls to make it worthwhile and then I'd have to explain myself! Must decrease the stash first before buying more!

Will definitely keep it in mind if I start another big project though, hm another blanket maybe...
  • Options
    Have changed my mind about the rippley scarf, am now doing a plain dc scarf in dk worked with 2 strands, 1 purple and 1 cream

Which meeaaaaaaaaaaaannnsssssssss...

Saving the ripples for a rippley blanket! Woohoo! Sirdar bonus has some yummy colours, opinions please on possible blankety colour scheme!
  • Options
    woohoo ripply blanket! I really like those colours :yes:

Olive - I went to the markets today to buy some more Kingfisher Patons and I got the LAST ONE :nervous: but I had a chat with Mr Blokey and he is going to order us some in, RESULT. Will be about 2 weeks I think :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, I think a ripple in those colours would be really nice!

I'm rippling next, too - got my yarn today! :hyper: Only trouble is that I need to finish epic blanket first, or I never will! 18 blocks down, 6 to go :thumb:
    Olive - I went to the markets today to buy some more Kingfisher Patons and I got the LAST ONE :nervous: but I had a chat with Mr Blokey and he is going to order us some in, RESULT. Will be about 2 weeks I think :thumb:

Cool beans! Can't afford to buy any before payday anyway, and now I've got the ripple yarn, I think cotton blanket might have to get in the queue!