Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Train company to sue suicidal man for £24,000

SystemSystem Posts: 8,653 Staff Team
Story.

Serco, you're scum.

The CPS officer who approved this: you're scum too. You should be sacked immediately for failure to do your job properly. On what planet is this in the public interest?

The officers who approved this should be publicly named and shamed, sacked and then forced to pay back the entire cost of the prosecution, plus interest. And then should be bankrupted, just to teach them some fucking compassion.

This has made me so mad.
«1

Comments

  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    I can understand suing those who delibrately trespass causing delays but I dont think it should apply for those with clear mental issues attempting suicide.

    Not really sure the Independants use of a photo of Ufton Nervet was necessary really....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I thought that photo was a bit inappropriate too...

    The thing that gets me is that if he'd thrown bricks at the trains instead, or tagged them, he'd get a £50 fine and 2 hours community service.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's absolutely ridiculous, and I'm intrigued to know how anyone considered that to be in the public interest.

    If it's felt that there's a need to make him aware of the consequence of his actions, then I could possibly go along with the fixed penalty for trespass, possibly, but this is utterly ridiculous and sets a very dangerous precedent.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that's bizaare
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    people are going to hate me for saying that but i think he should be head accountable for his actions, if the company lost that much money why shouldnt they try and recover some of it from the person whos fault it was?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cunts
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well said Suzy!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    people are going to hate me for saying that but i think he should be head accountable for his actions, if the company lost that much money why shouldnt they try and recover some of it from the person whos fault it was?

    Because it's not the guy's fault he is suicidal...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    skakitty wrote: »
    Because it's not the guy's fault he is suicidal...

    I disagree but that's a whole different issue, some people are stronger than others.

    On this matter though it does tend to be a little harsh. Yes he was selfish in his actions, but two wrongs don't make a right. How is this now going to help this man sort out his problems? It's more stress that he doesn't need and will probably make him attempt suicide again. He more than likely doesn't even have £24,000 either. It's completely ridiculous, like railway companies don't earn enough money already.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but you can't expect someone who is suicidal to think rationally? (logically yes, but only in the sense of planning his suicide and the negative thoughts that lead him to it, which to him, are logical)

    I know it's OT- but can i ask what you mean by 'some people are stronger than others'? I just want to hear your opinion :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm, i have mixed feelings about this. It was selfish really what he did, but how will sueing him help in the long run? Railway companies get enough money.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm just thankful that in his time of need, he actually 'cried out for help' .. they managed to get him down from the bridge, and help him get treatment. Life -1 depression - 0.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    skakitty wrote: »
    but you can't expect someone who is suicidal to think rationally? (logically yes, but only in the sense of planning his suicide and the negative thoughts that lead him to it, which to him, are logical)

    I know it's OT- but can i ask what you mean by 'some people are stronger than others'? I just want to hear your opinion :)

    No of course not, he wouldn't have thought, this is going to cause the rail company to lose thousands of pounds, i'm sure that was the last thing on his mind.

    What I mean is that some people deal with things better than others. For example, someone could be sexually abused all their life, be in debt, whatever you can think of, but they come out the other side, get the help they need and make a success of their life. They won't be beaten. Whereas others just give up. There is help out there for everyone and support but some people won't take it or help themselves. I do feel for people that think there is no other option but suicide and it must be a horrible position to be in but they can turn things around.

    Maybe someone that is abused by those who are meant to look after them may not be at fault for how they may feel but those where it is self inflicted it is I think.

    Feel free to tell me your opinion on the matter :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ohh ok, yeh i understand what you are saying- it's about adaptability i guess, and if we are lucky enough to have it.
    From my point of view.. because of the nature of depression, and the negative thoughts that come with it, sometimes it's very difficult to see past those thoughts, they consume your thinking. In a lot of cases, the illness takes over, and there is not massive amount anyone can do to help themselves, until they gain a bit of insight/clearer thinking.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    skakitty wrote: »
    Ohh ok, yeh i understand what you are saying- it's about adaptability i guess, and if we are lucky enough to have it.
    From my point of view.. because of the nature of depression, and the negative thoughts that come with it, sometimes it's very difficult to see past those thoughts, they consume your thinking. In a lot of cases, the illness takes over, and there is not massive amount anyone can do to help themselves, until they gain a bit of insight/clearer thinking.

    I can understand that. I suppose it's hard to put yourself into that kind of position, it's a difficult one to imagine but I do feel for such people as either way whether their fault or not it's not a nice feeling to have.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of times, it's a negative cycle of thinking, so if you said to me 'suicide is selfish' i could think 'oh god, i know i'm selfish, there is no point in be being here if i'm so selfish' etc etc
    and then there is the patten of 'everyone is better off without me, i just can't cope, and i don't want to put my family/friends through this' so... i can see how it is selfish, but not from the suicidal person's point of view, they feel there is little/no choice.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal wrote: »
    There is help out there for everyone and support but some people won't take it or help themselves.

    Wrong.

    There isn't help for everyone. Not anyone can find the strength to find help by themselves. People in that stage often genuinely believe that suicide is better, that everyone will be better off without them, that it can't be selfish because everyone will be pleased that they're dead.
    territt wrote:
    if the company lost that much money why shouldnt they try and recover some of it from the person whos fault it was?

    I hope they enjoy their £5 per week, 'cause that's all they'll get.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    Wrong.

    There isn't help for everyone. Not anyone can find the strength to find help by themselves. People in that stage often genuinely believe that suicide is better, that everyone will be better off without them, that it can't be selfish because everyone will be pleased that they're dead.

    Surely you have just contradicted yourself?

    Firstly saying there isn't help for everyone and then saying that there is help it's just finding the strength to find it. Therefore as I said, there is help for everyone out there :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There may in theory be help out there, but most of it takes an awful lot of hunting and chasing and demanding, then demanding again, then insisting and complaining and then demanding some more to get anywhere near it.

    If you can do that then you're probably not is desperate need of it, getting help from the system is basically entirely dependent on someone doing it for you. For the lucky ones that's a friend or family member, for the slightly less lucky ones its the authorities when an attempted suicide gets noticed, and for the rest it never happens.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal, you honestly haven't got a fucking clue have you?

    Have you seen NHS waiting lists for mental health treatment? When I first went to the NHS for mental health treatment I was told it could be 18 months. I was bumped to the top of the queue as my condition was very bad- all thanks to a one-in-a-million pushy consultant who rang around every trust in the north east to find me a spot- but it was still seven months from GP referral to starting treatment.

    Secondly, even to get on the waiting lists you need support and encouragement. I had my girlfriend (now wife) to hold my hand when times got bad, to drag me to the GP in the first place, and I was very lucky. I sometimes tried my hardest to push her away, she needed someone good instead of me. We'd not been going out long and a lot of people wouldn't have taken me on. Not everyone has that.

    You have no idea how hard it is to go to a doctor and say "I slice my arms open ten times a day and I want to die". A lot of people can't do it without support and the nature of depression is that you isolate yourself from all avenues of support. It takes a lot of stubbornness to support someone with severe depression.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    squeal, you honestly haven't got a fucking clue have you?

    No, I haven't. It's people like you, Scary Monster and skakitty that make me more aware of the issues surrounding it and put it into perspective, they just happen to be a little bit more polite about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you don't know what you're talking about, don't argue as though you do.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you don't know what you're talking about, don't argue as though you do.

    I haven't argued anything. I was asked for an opinion which I shared and then asked for that person's opinion which was then discussed. Why do you always have to jump down someone's throat when their opinion is different to yours? People think differently and have opposing opinions, expressing those opinions is how you learn from others.

    Yes I stated my opinion, and yes you may disagree but without doing so I wouldn't have heard what skakitty and Scary Monster had to say on the matter which has made me understand a little more about depression and seen the other side of the coin. I just don't think there is any need to be rude, especially when what you said was useful to hear especially as you've experienced it first hand.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm tired of people always saying that suicide is a choice and that suicide is selfish and that suicidal people are bastards. They're not.

    Yes, it is a touchy subject.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say suicide isn't a choice, but would agree that to some it can seem like the only reasonable choice left to them.

    Suicidal people aren't selfish as a whole, but there are definitely selfish ways to go about it.

    Going back to the train company, that's hugely selfish.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    skakitty wrote: »
    I'm just thankful that in his time of need, he actually 'cried out for help' .. they managed to get him down from the bridge, and help him get treatment. Life -1 depression - 0.

    I guess that could be part of the argument here....

    was it going to be a genuine attempt, or was it just "a cry for help"/attention seeking?

    I doubt it can be proved either way....

    therefore it should be treated as a genuine attempt and they should lay off the guy!!!

    Not like he did it pissed up on a night out for a laugh....that'd be a different story.....!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .... How can they charge him for wanting to die? Isn't the fact he's still alive hard enough for him?
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .... How can they charge him for wanting to die? Isn't the fact he's still alive hard enough for him?
    C-A x

    I have no idea if you know this, but up until the 1960s, suicide was illegal. However, I believe they were sent to hospital instead of prison.

    As for the original post - I think that's disgusting. Wonder what would the company would say/do if one of them or their family was that man?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    I have no idea if you know this, but up until the 1960s, suicide was illegal. However, I believe they were sent to hospital instead of prison.

    As for the original post - I think that's disgusting. Wonder what would the company would say/do if one of them or their family was that man?

    You're right suicide was illegal at one point, the stupid thing being that anyone that attempted to commit suicide, their punishment was to be hung, I am pretty sure they weren't sent to hospital or prison.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    I have no idea if you know this, but up until the 1960s, suicide was illegal. However, I believe they were sent to hospital instead of prison.

    As for the original post - I think that's disgusting. Wonder what would the company would say/do if one of them or their family was that man?

    I thought it was still illegal? Or is that just assisted suicide?
    C-A x
Sign In or Register to comment.