Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting Asked For Proof of Age

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    both the store and the individual who sells the alchohol can be prosecuted. :yes:
  • Options
    Why is everyone going mad over proving your age?
    Ever since the new licensing laws came out everyone keeps asking me for ID.
    It's what people are increasingly being taught to do. I can't speak on behalf of those who work in pubs and clubs, but I know that in retail, we are having to be even more strict than before. Company policy for us means that every time a sale of an age-restricted product is refused, it has to be logged down, and signed by the assistant in question. If this is not done correctly, we could get into trouble with council officials responsible for ensuring laws are enforced correctly.
    Even went to Asda last week and the woman asked the man infront of me for ID to buy some wine, and he was like in his 60's!!
    Increasing awareness of the law has pointed out one or two anomalies. It is a criminal offence to sell alcohol to anyone under 18. It is also a criminal offence to sell alcohol to someone over 18 with the intention of giving that drink to someone under age. Asking for ID is sometimes used as a tactic by my colleagues to get out of that sale without causing a scene, though it rarely works that way.

Oh yes, as to those who respond to requests by asking "how old are you?". What are you thinking? You're potentially putting yourself in trouble there. I have been trained to only accept certain forms of ID. Someone claiming to be 18, or having someone claiming to be a parent come in to verify their age is not a legally recognised form to prove someone's age.
  • Options
    i got asked for proof of age at drayton manor last week because i wanted to go on the crazy bus which is a parent and child only ride. :D
  • Options
    oh and i never get asked for id when i buy a lottery ticket even though i look about 12.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Oh yes, as to those who respond to requests by asking "how old are you?". What are you thinking? You're potentially putting yourself in trouble there. I have been trained to only accept certain forms of ID. Someone claiming to be 18, or having someone claiming to be a parent come in to verify their age is not a legally recognised form to prove someone's age.
    Still I can't stand jobsworths that refuse to use a bit of common sense. Like this guy in Aberystwyth (where almost everyone is a student) who wouldn't accept a library card with a photo on it as proof that you are over 18 (as 99.99% of people who go to uni are). Or not being able to use your railcard as proof of age to buy a beer on a train (never tried this one, but I can just imagine them now saying "drivers licence or passport only").
  • Options
    Still I can't stand jobsworths that refuse to use a bit of common sense. Like this guy in Aberystwyth who wouldn't accept a library card with a photo on it as proof that you are over 18 (as 99.99% of people who go to uni are). Or not being able to use your railcard as proof of age to buy a beer on a train (never tried this one, but I can just imagine them now saying "drivers licence or passport only").
    Aberystwyth seems to have nothing but students in it. Whenever I visit, what do I see? Students everywhere!

Anyway, I'm fairly flexible. In the past, I've accepted Connexions cards (though that scheme is soon to be scrapped) and British Army membership cards. Thing is, it's my arse that's on the line. I have to be 100% certain that the ID in question is irrefutably genuine. If I'm in any doubt, I have to refuse the sale. Company policies and the law insist on it.
  • Options
    i get IDd at clubs and bars coz i look younger than 22 :angel:

although i try to take it as a compliment because i won't be needing botox anytime soon i do still feel slightly embarrassed.
  • Options
    Just seems normal now to me to get asked for ID, aint really a problem. Bit different at work asking for ID, you do get some cunts you have a go at you .. nothing i can do! No ID .. your not getting served .. simple as!
  • Options
    Best thing to do is simply have your ID out before you're even asked to show it.
  • Options
    I used to get asked for ID at the age of 13 for wanting to travel on the bus as a child. Also the local cinema were wankers about it aswell.
  • Options
    I officially have no form of ID now, keep losing my wallet when I'm pissed haha, have to do something about it soon methinks.
  • Options
    I've only ever been ID'ed in clubs - yet always managed a way to get in even if I've been underage.
    Then I came to England and got ID'ed when buying alcohol and stuff like that in supermarkets and was actually quite offended.
  • Options
    :yes:

there are 'fake buyers' about who are underage to try to catch you out. If they do (and they're allowed to lie about their age if you ask them) then it's an on the spot £80 fine. Not the kind of money I have lying about :(.

i didnt think they were allowed to lie? cos its entrapment or something...is that the right word? i got told that if you challenge them they will just walk away
  • Options
    Still I can't stand jobsworths that refuse to use a bit of common sense. Like this guy in Aberystwyth (where almost everyone is a student) who wouldn't accept a library card with a photo on it as proof that you are over 18 (as 99.99% of people who go to uni are). Or not being able to use your railcard as proof of age to buy a beer on a train (never tried this one, but I can just imagine them now saying "drivers licence or passport only").

of course you can't accept a library card as ID! how easy would it be to fake a library card! its passport, driving licence or pass holagram cos everything else can be faked so easily. all my friends had connextions cards with the wrong DOB on in high school. if you sometimes get asked for ID then take some with you when you go out, its not hard
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I've only ever been ID'ed in clubs - yet always managed a way to get in even if I've been underage.
    Then I came to England and got ID'ed when buying alcohol and stuff like that in supermarkets and was actually quite offended.

why on earth would you be offended?
  • Options
    Think of it like this. I have never been asked for ID, and I'm offended by that fact. Do I really look that old?! People should interpret being asked for proof of age as a massive compliment.
  • Options

Cause I was made to feel as if I was a little kid trying to buy alcohol when I shouldn't.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Cause I was made to feel as if I was a little kid trying to buy alcohol when I shouldn't.

:\

they obviously didn't think you looked old enough. not their fault, is it?
  • Options
    The boyfriend was ID'd in ASDA on Thursday... so he handed over his driving licence....

"Can you confirm your date of birth?"
    "15/07/88"
    "Yeah that's what it says here... I'm sorry, I can't serve you til you're 18."
    ".... Eh? I'm sorry?"
    "I can't serve you."
    ".... I'm 18 years old...."
    "I'm sorry sir, I can't serve you without valid proof of that."
    "THAT IS VALID PROOF!"

In the end we had to go Tesco. I couldn't stop laughing. I know deep down that it's really terrible, but it's amusing... my boyfriend doesn't look 18 in the slightest... he definetly doesn't look old enough to have a drivers licence even....
  • Options
    :\

they obviously didn't think you looked old enough. not their fault, is it?

Sorry, as I said I've never been ID'ed outside clubs and then I come to England and start getting ID'ed. It really isn't worth picking a fight over.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Sorry, as I said I've never been ID'ed outside clubs and then I come to England and start getting ID'ed. It really isn't worth picking a fight over.

i wasn't picking a fight!

i just think it's unfair to say the cashier made you look like you were trying to buy alcohol underage that's all. :)
  • Options
    I don't really get ID'd when I go to buy cigarettes, but that's because I do actually look my age, I think. I've never tried to buy alcohol though.

Question though: for those of you that work in bars etc, do you accept Connexions cards usually? Because I don't have a driver's license and I doubt my stepdad will let me take my passport out with me...and if you don't, do you accept photocopies of passports?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    of course you can't accept a library card as ID! how easy would it be to fake a library card! its passport, driving licence or pass holagram cos everything else can be faked so easily.
    It's not that easy to fake a uni library card. They're not just a piece of laminated card you know? But there's also the fact that no-one that wants a fake ID is going to fake a uni library card, that would only work in one town (and it did for everyone except this one dick) and doesn't even have your date of birth on. It's just common sense in a student town to accept the uni card as ID, like it would be common sense to accept a company ID card in a pub opposite that company.
  • Options
    i tried with a photocopy of a passport in wetherspoons and they were having none of it. they said they needed to put it in their little scanner to check it was real! which i think was going a bit far. franki, i don't know if you have this in your area yet but any ID with the pass hologram on will get you into a lot of places - its a new thing but its catching on, i think soon everywhere will accept them
  • Options
    No need to take it personally, if anything you'll be glad to know that I'm never rude to cashiers, waitresses and bartenders and always say thank you and bye with a smile after being served.
    I didn't drag the cashier into it once, just stating a general opinion like others state that they feel flattered.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    do you accept photocopies of passports?
    Haha, not a chance. You could do any sort of editing on that.
  • Options
    It's not that easy to fake a uni library card. They're not just a piece of laminated card you know? But there's also the fact that no-one that wants a fake ID is going to fake a uni library card, that would only work in one town (and it did for everyone except this one dick) and doesn't even have your date of birth on. It's just common sense in a student town to accept the uni card as ID, like it would be common sense to accept a company ID card in a pub opposite that company.

passport or driving licence covers your own back. apart from anything its company policy in most places and if you get caught by a manager it'll be a major bollocking, possibly a diciplinary and even dismissal if you do it a lot and your company is really strict. its just not worth the hassle
  • Options
    I tend to get IDd when I'm buying alcohol from supermarkets, it bothers me more if I don't get IDd cos there's no way in hell I look 21 when I'm not dressed up to go out. Sometimes get IDd at pubs and clubs, it doesn't bother me any more. Like other people have said, it's no effort to take ID out with you.

My ex's mum works at Asda, and I remember her saying that she IDs absolutely everyone, just because it's her arse on the line. She used to get some right arsey customers, so she'd just tell them to go through another checkout if they weren't happy. I remember her telling me about some customer that thought a wedding ring was good enough proof that she was over 18. :confused:
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I remember her telling me about some customer that thought a wedding ring was good enough proof that she was over 18. :confused:
    It can't be. For starters, you can get married if you're under 18, and secondly, that ring could easily have been stolen. Mind you, some people will try anything to get their way. Take this example from a few weeks ago, when one of my supervisors, whom I shall call "K", was dealing with one bloke...

Customer: *comes to the till with an 8-pack of Fosters*
    K: Mate, if you wanna buy those, I'll have to see some ID.
    Customer: But it's my first day at Haven. It's my first night and I need to have some alcohol. Go on, go easy on me. I'll show you ID tomorrow.
    Danny: *staring on incredulously at this bloke*
    K: I don't care if it's your first or last day. Unless you show me some ID, you're not having those Fosters.
    Customer: *stamps off like a six-year old who hasn't got his sweets*

That's that one out of the way and in our refusals book. Gripping reading, that... :p
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    passport or driving licence covers your own back.
    Well yeah, but at uni in particular, a lot of people don't have a driving licence, and leave their passport at home.