Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Height preferences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all

Not so much a relationship question to a question about dating preferences i.e. your "ideal" partner.

So I'm pretty short between 5'2 and 5'4 and when I look through personals (never really gone anywhere, asked a few girls to chat but guess im not that interesting :p hehe) but a lot of the time when describing their 'dream guy' they say they would love him to be taller than them.

Is this a general consensus amongst girls? Obviously it's not the case that every girl will feel the same but I guess I want a generalisation really. Maybe it's an exercise in futility because even if girls would prefer a taller guy I can't really change my height now can I?

Any thoughts would be welcome. And any tips on finding happiness are also welcome :angel:

Comments

• Options
    Most girls I know prefer a taller guy.
    As a guy, I prefer shorter girls.
  • Options
    I'm 5'7" and like men who are my height and above.
  • Options
    I'm 5'9 and I go for guys my height or taller. But mostly taller as on nights out I wear heels which make me like 6ft and that can just look funny if he is shorter than me then!

I did once go out with a lad who was shorter than me and it was just award. I had to to this dodgy, bendy knee thing to try and look his height...never again :no:
  • Options
    I dont think it bothers me. My boyfriend is only a little bit taller than me and I'm pretty short at 5'2 so I'm guessing he is your height. If I was attracted to someone who is a little bit shorter than me than it definitely wouldn't put me off.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    between 5'2 and 5'4

so about 5'3 then? :p
  • Options
    im 5'8" and my boyfriend is 6'3".

my previous boyfriend was 6'4" and well, all of my fellas have been over 6'. i like tall men for the obvious reason im rather tall myself.

i like a man who is quite a bit taller than me because they make me feel girly and protected :)
  • Options
    I'm 6'0" and Ricardo is about 6'3", maybe an inch or so taller, idk. I do like my men taller than me because bending down makes my back hurt (and recently that's any bending down, bah) but obviously being on the freakish-giant end of the girl-height-spectrum that can get difficult. Or it used to, I don't need to bother anymore, obviously :p.
  • Options
    I'm 6"1, my woman is 5"6. I prefer girls to be on the smaller side.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I did once go out with a lad who was shorter than me and it was just award. I had to to this dodgy, bendy knee thing to try and look his height...never again :no:
    Why weren't you trying to look your own height? :chin:
    It's not anybody's height that caused this problem...
  • Options
    I like girls to be shorter than me. Not sure why though, maybe I consider shorter to be more feminine and it's the opposite for girls.
  • Options
    Why weren't you trying to look your own height? :chin:
    It's not anybody's height that caused this problem...

Because I felt stupid with the fact that he was a good few inches shorter than me..and yes I know that sounds shallow, but it did bother me. I've learnt my lesson now!
  • Options
    I like them to be taller but not really tall. I'm only 5ft 1 so I don't really want a giant!
  • Options
    oh and i like my men tall because even with my heels on, they are still taller! my fella is still taller than me when i wear my nice shoes :)

ive got a friend though who is 6' and her boyfriend is 5'5! they get odd looks but they are soooooooo happy together!
  • Options
    Same as Marina, i'm 5'0 so anything above that is good, but not tooo tall or i'd have to get out double yellow pages!
  • Options
  • Options
    I must admit i do usually date blokes my height or above but the last fancy piece (:thumb: ) was about 5"8ish so really not much in it. I don't really bother about height, if i fancy them i fancy them. End of really.
  • Options
    I'm 5'8" so moderately tall by girly standards and have to say like guys who are bigger than me. That said, I mean in a net effect way as well as height wise, I'm not skinny and hugs from something all bony just feels wrong.

At 5'3" you may be short by guy standards but you're taller than loads of girls, so even if girls only go for guys taller than themselves that leaves lots of girls. Especially as it seems too much taller isn't popular either.
  • Options
    I'm 5ft4 so anything like 5ft3 upwards is grand.

My blokey is 6ft2, ex was 5ft7...really don't care!
  • Options
    I dont particularly care about height., although i prefer them to be taller. Mind you I'm about 5'3" so i dont reckon there are many blokes shorter than me.
  • Options
    I'm 5'3" and like them either a little bit taller them me, 5'6"ish, or 6ft plus.
  • Options
    oh and i like my men tall because even with my heels on, they are still taller! my fella is still taller than me when i wear my nice shoes :)

Sod that, I'm taller than Rich in all my heels and fuck it, I wear them because they're sexy and they make me feel good. It's an added bonus if he feels inferior because I'm taller than him ;) . It would be nice if he was taller with my heels on but hell, I'm six feet tall, I'm taller than pretty much everyone anyway.

It does make me feel strange around some of his short-arse male friends though because it makes me SO much taller than them so even though they're like 30 I kinda feel superior.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

So I'm pretty short between 5'2 and 5'4

ok, now you are taking the piss!

I hear that most girls like taller guys. That's the answer they give when asked. But when someone comes along and everything about him seems to be cool, she wouldn't say "ah well, you are a bit to small. Can't go out with you."

It's a preference, not a law that can't be broken.

I really do not care at all. I find tall women and petite women attractive. There are boundaries tho. Tall is awesome (I do not care if she's taller than me) as long as she doesn't look "monstrous" or out of proportion.

/e: looking back on it, all my girls have been taller :o (but the first was when I was 15. and i was tinnnyyyyyy)
  • Options
    I'm 5-4, ex was 4-10.. way back in the 90s. Looks like I'm doomed!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    ok, now you are taking the piss!

I'm actually not! :p Stunted growth or something idk...
  • Options
    thinking about it, my preference would be ickle guys, like a few inches taller than me, maybe upto 5'6... cuz my crushes are guys like Brian Molko and Matt Bellamy and Richard Hammond.. *eeeee*
  • Options
    I like em tall, but my boyfriend is shorter than me. Not by much, he'll claim he is the same height but he is not.
  • Options
    Haha, well im 14 and 5'11", and tbh i wish i was smaller because its hell on your knees (I hardly sit down because it takes like 20 minutes to get back up.)

My dad has stunted growth (5'5" or something) , which makes our faamily look strange. Small mam and dad, and me and my brother who is like 6'3"

But nah, tall isnt all good, i prefer a girlfriend to be smaller than me
  • Options
    I suspect you already know the answer to this, or you wouldn't be asking. Thankfully, as is always the case with girls, they place less emphasis on looks than us blokes. I've got a really hot friend, and her boyfriend must be about 5'4 (she's about 5'1 at a guess).

But that doesn't mean you can't do things to maximize your height, because people do judge you on it. And it's about more than how girls percieve you, because it can affect how employers see you too. It can also be a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if you lack confidence because of your height, you less likely to get the job or the girl, and certainly more likely to be jealous in relationship situations.

Anyway, fashion tips from Nicolas Sarkozy (5'5 with a 5'9 mrs):

sarkozy.jpg

Learn how to dress for your height and body shape. If people are going to judge you on how you look, you might as well turn that to your advantage.

But may I suggest you don't follow Bono's fashion tips?

bono-shoes-404_677279c.jpg
  • Options
    I'm 5'3ish, and hub is around 6', maybe a smidge under, and pretty perfect, height wise. For me, at least.

But i know loads of little fellas who are never short (ha ha) of a hot girl. As long as you don't have short man syndrome (angry and bitter!) it's all good.
  • Options
    Thankfully, as is always the case with girls, they place less emphasis on looks than us blokes.[/IMG]

Hmm, I dunno if I agree on that.