Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

words fail me

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Same.

I'm quite glad I live in a part of the world where religion and reason usually manage to go hand in hand slightly better than that.
  • Options
    He said the excommunication would not apply to the child because of her age

How merciful of them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So what? The excommunicated him? Big deal. Follow the rules of the church or don't be a member of the church. But it does is highlight the complete immorality of their belief system. What I have more of an issue with is the influence they have. The Catholic church's stranglehold needs breaking so that people who are excommunicated have many other organisations and people to turn to.

But I don't see why people consider excommunication to be a punishment. It's like being kicked out of the KKK for having a black friend.
  • Options
    But I don't see why people consider excommunication to be a punishment. It's like being kicked out of the KKK for having a black friend.
    :D
  • Options
    I would be interested to know what the moderates out there think - the ones that are against "militant" atheism and think we should all have respect for religion and be open minded, and yet think this story is disgusting. What exactly is the Catholic Church supposed to do - just suddenly backtrack and change its mind over what constitutes an absolute moral truth and decide that actually, God isn't against abortion at all and that human life doesn't begin at the moment of conception?

You either believe something is a sin and morally wrong, or you don't, there really is no middle ground. If the religion you profess to follow and the holy text you claim to believe is the word of god tells you X is wrong, then you either choose to believe X is wrong no matter what and face the consequences, or you make a personal decision to interpret it differently and give more weight to other moral values, and therefore admit that you aren't really a Catholic or following what the bible tells you to do at all, but rather picking and choosing the bits that your intuition tells you to.

If you call yourself Catholic but think abortion is ok in circumstances of rape etc. then you're effectively saying the murder of an innocent baby is justified if the mother has been raped, since Catholicism stipulates that zygotes constitute innocent human life. You're also saying that you don't accept the moral authority of the pope, which is what Catholicism is centered around.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hold these views myself, but it just seems to me like there is this attitude that we should all respect religion and be open minded to it, except when something like this happens and we are all suddenly disgusted - why should we be really, since all these people are doing is acting on their faith and their belief about the nature of morality? Or are people saying that religion should only be respected when it is nice and fits in with our liberal, tolerant society, where we have nice wishy washy, pick and mix interpretations of religious texts and everything is "metaphorical" and centred around love?
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I would be interested to know what the moderates out there think - the ones that are against "militant" atheism

militant athiesm is like saying just because i don't believe in fairies, that i'm a militant afairy believer : unless ou're saying some athiests are militant in that they'll use violence against god believers?

back to case at hand: nasty man imo very nasty, he should be offering words of support to her after gonig through what that family has

in general if you're against abortion because you think it's straight off murder, then rape induced pregnancy still isn't valid because in all fairness if you think there's a conscious baby in the woman, that 'baby' has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to be murdered - obviously this doesn't apply to allll pro-lifers but the ones who think it's just plain murder.
  • Options
    There are shades of grey. The doctors were able to perform the abortion because a 9 year old would very probably not survive carrying and birthing twins. If God can only cope with black and white scenarios then not very clever is he?
  • Options
    Or are people saying that religion should only be respected when it is nice and fits in with our liberal, tolerant society, where we have nice wishy washy, pick and mix interpretations of religious texts and everything is "metaphorical" and centred around love?

Are you saying that as long as certain religious groups stick to their guns then that's okay? That it doesn't matter what they get up to? As long as they don't ever contradict themselves?

Cause last time I checked in with my mate Jesus, his message was about love, actually, not militant regimes. It was about acceptance, abortions and all.
  • Options
    What exactly is the Catholic Church supposed to do - just suddenly backtrack and change its mind over what constitutes an absolute moral truth and decide that actually, God isn't against abortion at all and that human life doesn't begin at the moment of conception?

It wouldn't be the first time. "This just in, the Jews aren't collectively responsible for killing Jesus." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hold these views myself, but it just seems to me like there is this attitude that we should all respect religion and be open minded to it, except when something like this happens and we are all suddenly disgusted - why should we be really, since all these people are doing is acting on their faith and their belief about the nature of morality? Or are people saying that religion should only be respected when it is nice and fits in with our liberal, tolerant society, where we have nice wishy washy, pick and mix interpretations of religious texts and everything is "metaphorical" and centred around love?
    Well to me, this is a case of the church only dealing with their own members for once. I have less of a problem with this than even the slightest hint of them trying to change a law that will affect people who aren't Catholic (which I highly suspect is the case when it comes to abortion law in Brazil). It's their club. They can do what they want. Don't like it? Don't be a Catholic. And don't cry for those who are victims of it either. It's their choice to follow that religion. If they can't see the immorality of it, then that's their problem. As long as they keep it to themselves.
  • Options
    I'm a Catholic atheist. :)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'm a Catholic atheist. :)

Just like Mother Teresa.
  • Options
    Cause last time I checked in with my mate Jesus, his message was about love, actually, not militant regimes. It was about acceptance, abortions and all.

That is your personal interpretation of the bible; there are lots of bits of the bible (the OT for example) that are most certainly NOT about love and acceptance, that just get brushed aside. Who are we to decide which bits of "the word of god" should be taken literally, and which bits should be ignored or identified as a product of their time? If you're just going to follow your moral intuitions, or argue from the nature of humanity as to why certain acts are wrong, then all you're doing is deciding what is right and wrong for yourself (and rightly so in my opinion). Why bring religion into it at all if all you're going to do is go with the bits that appeal to you the most based on your own personal thoughts and feelings about morality?
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Are you saying that as long as certain religious groups stick to their guns then that's okay? That it doesn't matter what they get up to? As long as they don't ever contradict themselves?

No I am not saying that, because I don't think religion is a sound basis for any belief or action. What I am saying is is that things like these are the logical conclusion of faith. If we respect, and indeed encourage, people to have faith in certain beliefs, texts and figures, without reason or evidence, often just based on what they have been told, then things like this are bound to happen. If you support religion and the right for people to interpret their religious texts how they want, then what grounds do you have for objecting when something such as this happens? Or are you saying people can only interpret their religious texts how they want, and only have the freedom to act on their faith, when it fits in with your own personal moral intuitions and beliefs?
    in general if you're against abortion because you think it's straight off murder, then rape induced pregnancy still isn't valid because in all fairness if you think there's a conscious baby in the woman, that 'baby' has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to be murdered - obviously this doesn't apply to allll pro-lifers but the ones who think it's just plain murder.

Exactly. So if you're Catholic, accept the Catholic interpretation of the bible, believe the pope is God's respresentative on earth, then you believe that abortion is the equivalent of murdering a newborn child. The fact that the mother has been raped, or that her life is in danger, doesn't make it ok.
    They can do what they want. Don't like it? Don't be a Catholic. And don't cry for those who are victims of it either. It's their choice to follow that religion. If they can't see the immorality of it, then that's their problem. As long as they keep it to themselves.

Exactly. If you WANT people to have faith and to be able to act on their religious beliefs, then these are the consequences. If you only want people to have faith and act on their beliefs if it is all happy clappy and about love, while they conveniently brush the not so popular views about homosexuality and abortion etc. under the carpet, then what you're saying is that you only think people should be allowed freedom of religion as long as it fits in with your own neat views about morality.
  • Options
    its all very well when youre talking about it from the privelige of this country where catholic doctrine isnt a large factor in lawmaking
  • Options
    its all very well when youre talking about it from the privelige of this country where catholic doctrine isnt a large factor in lawmaking
    Absolutely, but that wasn't the situation in this case. She broke the rules, she got kicked out of the club. The various other digusting actions of the Catholic church throughout the developing world are a seperate issue.
  • Options
    So Catholics should accept the decisions and policy of the Vatican, regardless of how wrong it might seem to most people? So they should not try to achieve change when it is believed to be a positive thing?

Nonsense. The Pope and his lieutenants are human, and thus fallible. If people had never challenged the voice and policy of the Vatican, Catholics would still believe the Earth is flat and homosexuals should be killed.

Presumably collaboration with the Nazis and cover ups of child abuse by priests were also okay, since they were carried out by the Vatican....

I know many Catholics who completely ignore the odious and ludicrous Vatican policy on condoms. Does it make them lesser Catholics? The fuck it does.

Equally, I suspect those very Catholics will have been disgusted and appalled by this excommunications. If anything, it's the heartless bastard responsible for them that has no right to call himself Christian, or Catholic.
  • Options
    I think it would bode well if people defined their terms.

Making statements about, for example, Catholics or Christians create misunderstanding if what you mean by those terms is not expressed.

The Catholic Church is a corporate body with a corporate charter.(For all intents and purposes a man with a small hat is the chairman). I am in agreement with I'm With Stupid in that dissent from the rules of the corporation will result in penalties.

If people do not want to be bound by those rules why go around calling yourself a Catholic. That seems odd behaviour to me.

Then again the Catholic Church talk a lot about God and Jesus when in reality their rules differ greatly from those reportedly laid down by God, and then endorsed by Jesus.

Perhaps there is huge financial benefit in the (by name only) association ?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    So Catholics should accept the decisions and policy of the Vatican, regardless of how wrong it might seem to most people? So they should not try to achieve change when it is believed to be a positive thing?

Nonsense. The Pope and his lieutenants are human, and thus fallible. If people had never challenged the voice and policy of the Vatican, Catholics would still believe the Earth is flat and homosexuals should be killed.

Presumably collaboration with the Nazis and cover ups of child abuse by priests were also okay, since they were carried out by the Vatican....

I know many Catholics who completely ignore the odious and ludicrous Vatican policy on condoms. Does it make them lesser Catholics? The fuck it does.

Equally, I suspect those very Catholics will have been disgusted and appalled by this excommunications. If anything, it's the heartless bastard responsible for them that has no right to call himself Christian, or Catholic.

I completely agree with this. I don't think anyone could actually believe that the vatican has catholic values. The list of modern sins they came up with months ago seemed to be a list of their daily activities. Of course the catholic church are punishing a little girl who's been let down by people who should have been looking after her. That's what they do. They only way they can force their irrational thoughts, which they have no intention of following, on people is through fear. I'm not anti-catholic, because I know a lot of catholics who are intellegent, caring people. Even if they don'[t always go along with whatever the vatican says I'd say they're more catholic, because they put others before themselves and actually stick with what they say they believe, rather than saying things like sex is ok as long as its with an unwilling child.
  • Options
    Vatican backtracks on excommunications

So it seems there might be human beings in the Vatican after all...

So... does this now mean the Vatican is not Catholic enough, or even not Catholic at all, for contravening Catholic rules? Or does it simply confirm that Catholicism is ruled by men not God, and as such there is nothing wrong with challenging some of its rules, and nothing wrong with expecting priests behave with rationality instead of acting like heartless cunts?
  • Options
    Vatican backtracks on excommunications

So it seems there might be human beings in the Vatican after all...

So... does this now mean the Vatican is not Catholic enough, or even not Catholic at all, for contravening Catholic rules? Or does it simply confirm that Catholicism is ruled by men not God, and as such there is nothing wrong with challenging some of its rules, and nothing wrong with expecting priests behave with rationality instead of acting like heartless cunts?

What have the rules got to do with anything? They went back on the punishment, not the rules. They're saying that excommunication wasn't technically the correct punishment under the circumstances, not that a sin had not been committed.
  • Options
    What have the rules got to do with anything? They went back on the punishment, not the rules. They're saying that excommunication wasn't technically the correct punishment under the circumstances, not that a sin had not been committed.
    The point I was trying to make is that even by the Vatican's own admission it is wrong to say the priest who handed out the excommunications was doing the right thing. Or that those who see such action as repulsive and unacceptable are not being true Catholics.
  • Options
    There are shades of grey. The doctors were able to perform the abortion because a 9 year old would very probably not survive carrying and birthing twins. If God can only cope with black and white scenarios then not very clever is he?

True that heh. A friend said recently: If god is all powerful, then he has the power to create an object in space that is completely immovable. If god is all powerful, then he has the power to create an object in space that is perpetually moving and can't be stopped. What happens when these two objects collide?

placebo - I think the militant atheism term comes from possibly me where I described antitheists who are people who are just as fervent about atheism and dogmatic about it as those religious zealots are about their particular religions. I.e. everyone who doesn't believe what I believe is wrong and needs to burn / have their rights taken away from them etc.

I think the pope is a fruitcake, incididentally.
  • Options
    What exactly is the Catholic Church supposed to do - just ... decide that actually, God isn't against abortion at all and that human life doesn't begin at the moment of conception?

Yes. Absolutely. The Catholic Church needs to get out of the dark ages and move with the times.

And whilst I'm on it, they should positively encourage contraception too.
  • Options
    fionafiona wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely. The Catholic Church needs to get out of the dark ages and move with the times.

And whilst I'm on it, they should positively encourage contraception too.

And you don't see ANY contradiction there? One of the fundamentals of religion is that it guides you with regards to ULTIMATE MORAL TRUTHS. Either abortion is murder of an innocent human life, or it isn't. You can't just "decide" that something is no longer morally wrong for the sake of "moving with the times"; if you're just going to change your mind like that, why bother with the idea that there are moral laws at all?

Also, how can anyone support religion and encourage people to base their beliefs on a religious text, then go mental when something like this happens and start objecting to it?

Personally I agree with you, I think the crap the Catholic church comes up with is absolutely disgusting, however, I also hold that any belief based on religion or a religious source is unjustified. But you can't say "yaaay religion" until something that you don't like happens, because this is just religion being followed through to its logical conclusion - encourage people to base their beliefs on a religious text and tell them they can interpret that text however they want and live by that interpretation, with complete disregard for evidence/utilitarian principles/observation of the world around them, then this is what happens.
  • Options
    And you don't see ANY contradiction there? One of the fundamentals of religion is that it guides you with regards to ULTIMATE MORAL TRUTHS. Either abortion is murder of an innocent human life, or it isn't. You can't just "decide" that something is no longer morally wrong for the sake of "moving with the times"; if you're just going to change your mind like that, why bother with the idea that there are moral laws at all?
    Contraception is not quite the same as abortions thuogh. Where exactly does the Catholic Church's morally repugnant and absurd oppostion to condoms come from? :confused:
    Also, how can anyone support religion and encourage people to base their beliefs on a religious text, then go mental when something like this happens and start objecting to it?
    Because they're rational and decent human beings who wish to promote the overall message of love and tolerance in the New Testament instead of some of the violent and bigoted mantra that can be found in the OT?

Or are you suggesting religious people should either start killing those who work on the Sabbath, sell some their offspring to slavery or persecute those who eat shellfish, or quit pretending to follow their religion? It's all in the Bible, at the end of the day...
  • Options
    the overall message of love and tolerance in the New Testament

Could you help me find that message ?
  • Options
    Could you help me find that message ?

It's called the stuff what Jesus said.
  • Options
    It's called the stuff what Jesus said.

Matthew 10 verse 34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_to_bring_a_sword
  • Options
    For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

The kingdom of God is within you.

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Become earnest about the word! For as to the word, its first part is faith; the second, love; the third, works; for from these comes life.

Hearken to the word; understand knowledge; love life, and no one will persecute you, nor will anyone oppress you, other than you yourselves.

Knowledge and ritual without compassion is empty.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.

There is only one love that loves unconditionally – the love of the Divine.

Love your neighbor, but who is your neighbor. Your neighbor is the one who is sent to you from the Divine. Your neighbor can be one who is a total stranger to you from afar. Your neighbor can be someone living close to you. But what is true is that your neighbor is one of the Light who needs your support as much as you need his.
  • Options

Personally I agree with you, I think the crap the Catholic church comes up with is absolutely disgusting, however, I also hold that any belief based on religion or a religious source is unjustified. But you can't say "yaaay religion" until something that you don't like happens, because this is just religion being followed through to its logical conclusion - encourage people to base their beliefs on a religious text and tell them they can interpret that text however they want and live by that interpretation, with complete disregard for evidence/utilitarian principles/observation of the world around them, then this is what happens.

I think you're being absolutist, the bible says thou shall not kill but then instructs people to defend others or something. Of course religious texts contradict themselves and are open to interpretation, that's why there are so many thousands of religious scholars around the world who spend their whole life trying to understand these texts. You're saying either you believe in the bible and must do every ridiculous thing it says, or that you must deny it and that there is no middle ground. But I find - not as a subscriber to any religion myself - that all the religious texts actually do carry important messages and lessons for us - and they can help us reflect on what it is to be human. It just takes common sense to filter out the good ones and the rubbish ones, like any other book or ideology in the world.