Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It begins....

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7918296.stm

Have I mentioned that I consider Gattaca to be the scariest movie ever made?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Creating healthier people would be a fantastic innovation but sex selection wouldn't be.
  • Options
    When it comes to this I'm fine with "creating" a baby without a certain gene that would cause it get an illness later on but when it comes to eye colour, hair colour, gender etc.. I don't agree with it.
  • Options
    This is *so* wrong.
    So, so, wrong. It upsets me too much to even think about it rationally.
  • Options
    Why are you all so opposed to it? I think its a brilliant idea, furthering the progression of science, creating children with no genetic defects and creating less chance of illness? Where's the downside?
  • Options
    The aryan race might take over?
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Why are you all so opposed to it? I think its a brilliant idea, furthering the progression of science, creating children with no genetic defects and creating less chance of illness? Where's the downside?

There is already scanning for genetic defects, that article was mentioning choosing the eye and hair colour and sex of your children, def not a cool thing...
  • Options
    But why is that a bad thing? Besides the various diseases and such that tend to be more prominant in people with certain colour eyes or hair (which the other genetic screening process would pick up and eliminate anyway) there really isnt any difference when it comes to preference of these colours is there?
  • Options
    It just doesn't seem 'natural' to me, and as such I really worry that it'll go wrong.

I know that it's hard for parents to bring a child with additional support needs into the world, but I don't think that means that they should choose not to.

It'd hard to pinpoint, but there's just something very unsettling about this.
  • Options
    But why is that a bad thing? Besides the various diseases and such that tend to be more prominant in people with certain colour eyes or hair (which the other genetic screening process would pick up and eliminate anyway) there really isnt any difference when it comes to preference of these colours is there?

Well with China's one child policy has already shown what problems you get picking one sex over another. The egender balance in the world would eb seriously skewed to many more males than females for starters.

Also even though i don't disagree with abortion the idea of having a designer baby and destroying all the rest cos you don't like their eye colour seems a bit morally repugnant.

Also for most people this smacks of Hitler's plans for eugenics.

Would you have problems with pet stores destroying half the animals they get in just cos they're not this season's colour?
  • Options
    Also for most people this smacks of Hitler's plans for eugenics.

Would you have problems with pet stores destroying half the animals they get in just cos they're not this season's colour?
    We're not talking about killing a room full of new born babies here though these are EGGS. These feel no pain and have no consious thought therefore your pet store analogy is just daft!
    It seems you dont quite grasp the fact that this is not about culling people whom already exist, its little blobs of cells under a microscope..hardly genocide.
    As for the 'more of one sex' argument, i agree this could be an issue but with proper control it could be overcome pretty easily. Limiting numbers to keep things even possibly.
  • Options
    As for the 'more of one sex' argument, i agree this could be an issue but with proper control it could be overcome pretty easily. Limiting numbers to keep things even possibly.

"With proper control"?? Sounds like dictatorship to me. I'd rather live in a country with no dictatorship or designer babies, thanks.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    It just doesn't seem 'natural' to me, and as such I really worry that it'll go wrong.

There is nothing natural about any medical treatment, cosmetics, plastic surgery etc. either; natural doesn't equate to "good" or "right".

Personally I've got nothing against this and am strongly in favour of sex selection for both social and medical reasons. I think allowing people who can afford private IVF treatment, and have/want to go through the discomfort and unpleasant experience of IVF, to select certain traits in their children, is completely fine. It isn't like we're all going to be doing it any time soon, and most of us wouldn't want to anyway. Hardly the start of the slippery slope...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    It isn't like we're all going to be doing it any time soon, and most of us wouldn't want to anyway. Hardly the start of the slippery slope...
    Any time soon, no. But the way things go it will eventually happen. And more of them will want to do it, because "everyone" does it. Things don't only become a problem when there's many people doing them.
  • Options
    Hitler would be proud of some of the work these "scientists" are doing.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Hitler would be proud of some of the work these "scientists" are doing.
    Seriously you lot are obsessed with hitler or something i swear. Its not even in the same fucking game as what hitler proposed. This research is hardly going to produce a world full of blond hair blue eyed german boys now is it. ffs it's just allowing parents to be selective about certain traits their child has.
    If the world does end up as some utopian society then good! I think you're all just secretly scared that this will create a load of children that grow up to be smarter, healthier and more athletic than your own kids.
    Whats really so bad about creating 'personalised babies'? Putting a limit on the number of boys to girls ratio say per year (first come first served? - or put on a waiting list until next year) is hardly dictatorship, and if you still think it is so then you probably think the same about every single law a country holds. (not allowed cocaine? pfft..dictatorship!!)
  • Options
    Seriously you lot are obsessed with hitler or something i swear.
    nah it's called Godwin's law of the internet
    Its not even in the same fucking game as what hitler proposed. This research is hardly going to produce a world full of blond hair blue eyed german boys now is it. ffs it's just allowing parents to be selective about certain traits their child has.

it is actually the same general goal, as it presumes there's a need for ideal children when in fact, life isn't ideal and people aren't ideal, what is ideal can be quite distorted, and that if this becomes commonplace even more traits will be selected for. What if someone choosing to not have this done get blamed for beign a drain on resources by a government etc
    If the world does end up as some utopian society then good! I think you're all just secretly scared that this will create a load of children that grow up to be smarter, healthier and more athletic than your own kids.
    utopias are like dreams, not everyone has the same idea of a dream, it can in fact be a nightmare for them when in fact it becomes a dystopia
    Whats really so bad about creating 'personalised babies'? Putting a limit on the number of boys to girls ratio say per year (first come first served? - or put on a waiting list until next year) is hardly dictatorship, and if you still think it is so then you probably think the same about every single law a country holds. (not allowed cocaine? pfft..dictatorship!!)
    well people like to copy and mimic eachother, if lots of people started having it done, it would lead to people even if not directly being seen as subhuman for not being good enough, when in all reality there are some amazingly clever and athletic people who are complete tosspots, and there are lovable or athletic idiots and clever caring disabled people and everything in between
    being different yet seeign past it is what makes us human

and i haven't even started on the commodification of children, they should be loved by their parents for whom they are regardless (unless they try to kill their parents, and even then some still forgive cause it's that powerful) - especially as most genetic traits that confer one advantage seem to inflict a disadvantage in another form since genetics isn't actually THAT well understood, especially how one gene affects multiple functions like how one drug has many effects

just no...
  • Options
    So you would leave a large number of people to unneccessarily have severely decreased standards of living out of fear, paranoia and a laughable belief that liking each other no matter what is what makes us human? lol.
    Originally Posted by icey
    Seriously you lot are obsessed with hitler or something i swear.

If that also refers to my aryan comment I was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

If that also refers to my aryan comment I was being sarcastic.

Especially as the aryans are Indian...
  • Options
    Yes but you know I was sarcasticly referring to being able to choose traits like blonde hair. Because, if this scientific breakthrough is allowed to progress the human race will end up living in a disutopia like gattaca or worse if some people dont manage to mimic the rest of humanity by being blonde then they wont be able to go to Mars in a rocket and they will be blamed for beign[sic] a drain on resources by a government etc.