Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being a 'bigger man'

Now dont get me wrong im not HUGE.

im 16 stone at 6 foot
my bmi is 30.4 just over obese =[ (crys)

in the past when i was alot more confident id ask a girl out and id get rejected all because i am fat.

What do girls see in dudes who have a belly on them?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some girls like it.

If you don't like it, why not do something about it?
  • Options
    James Corden, the fat twunt from Gavin and Stacey has bagged Lily Allen and Sheridan Smith. OK the fact he's got a bit of cash helps but hey there's got to be something in it...
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Some girls like it.

If you don't like it, why not do something about it?

By doing what, id go to the gym but id feel completly embarresed around all the muscular men just making themselves even more musuclar with there 6 packs..then theres me with my keg =[

i could diet but im embarresed to admit to go on one.. i=/
  • Options
    Some girls are shallow it doesn't bother me to be honest its what there like in the inside what counts +as a person im curvy girl always getting attention even more than when i was size 10 im a nice girl
  • Options

Not wishing to state the bleedin' obvious here mate but why not just avoid telling anyone?

And in any case why be embarrassed? With the greatest respect isn't it usually larger people who go on diets?
  • Options
    When i was 17 i weighted 22 stone and was 6 foot 2 and thought exactly like you. I ran up the stairs one day and was really breathless and felt my heart beating harshly, that was when i decided to actually do something about it.

Dieting at school is difficult because if theres one thing people hate its the fat kid trying to stop being the fat kid, so dont tell anyone and just go ahead and diet.

Gym's are an ok place to lose weight - if you go to a fitness club and not a toning/muscle gym you will lose it better but a change of lifestyle is more important.

When i decided to lose weight i felt quite embarassed too, there is no reasoning or logic about it but i felt really ashamed in case i failed, I went to Argos and bought an exersize bike and kept it in my room, i did 20 minutes every night for a year and lost 8 stone.

The important thing to remember is you are doing it for you and nobody else, fuck what anyone else thinks. its for you. Doing it so girls will like you is not a good idea.

Remember the immortal AbFab quote:
    "Diet and Exersize is the best way to lose weight mum"
    "Oh nonsense darling, if it was that easy everyone would do that, its probably a magic pill or something"
  • Options
    I don't see why there would be embarrassment in dieting? Just eat healthy and keep an eye on what you eat.

Although a change in life style will have to happen.

What type of foods do you at the moment? i.e. Junkie food, chocolate, sugar drinks etc.
  • Options
    The best "diet" to lose weight isn't a diet as in what the magazines show (the fad ones) it's more about changing what you eat.
    Anyone who matters won't care about you being on a diet.
  • Options
    Its just embarresing i was thinking of getting an excersise bike or some whatever but the prices? they cost a bomb..
    And fuck real bikes ive moved house 3 times and 7 bikes of mine alone have been stolen.. so it wont work

I dont pig myself out every night with 400 cakes or anything i guess i eat well but i do have snacks now and again and i dont eat much fruit

Id much rather lose weight in my house or somewhere where im comfortable rather than in a gym or a fitness club.
  • Options
    Not wishing to state the bleedin' obvious here mate but why not just avoid telling anyone?

And in any case why be embarrassed? With the greatest respect isn't it usually larger people who go on diets?

What do you mean larger people? there isnt much larger than border line obese bro :P
  • Options
    a fat man is like a car with a scratch. If it's a cool car, the scratch won't harm. Some people like scratches, like some people like holes in their jeans. And some cars are just ok enough but not acceptable anymore if they have a scratch on them.
  • Options
    What do you mean larger people? there isnt much larger than border line obese bro :P

I mean if you're a big guy, and from what you say then you are, you're the sort of person people would not have a problem believing is on a diet. No-one gonna rip the piss mate.

If they do, smack-em upside the head :D
  • Options
    By doing what, id go to the gym but id feel completly embarresed around all the muscular men just making themselves even more musuclar with there 6 packs..then theres me with my keg =[

ime muscular men making themselves more muscular are the minority in gyms. people use gyms for their own personal gain not to watch or care about other people. they are either staring at their own bicep in the mirror or noting the time and performance on the cardio machine (read as: the televison that the machines display)
  • Options
    You do realise that a lot of the blokes you'd meet in the gym started off at least a little overweight, and often a lot? They're not going to judge you. It's a gym. It's designed for unfit people to get fit. Incidentally, a lot of those muscular blokes first went to the gym because they didn't feel confident about their body, so you'd be surprised how much they will associate with you. Maybe try swimming? Swimming tends to attract more overweight people generally, because it puts less strain on the joints. I go sometimes, and most of the people there are middle-aged or older, some are disabled (again, a good alternative for people who would struggle to jog), and most are quite crap at swimming. It's anything but an intimidating atmosphere. If you're still not convinced, then why not do something that has no stigma. Walk to work more. Maybe go hill walking at weekends? Buy yourself a skipping rope. It's one of the best exercises you can do, and you never have to leave the one spot.

Also don't diet, just try and eat a healthy, balanced diet. When someone asks you if you want a kebab, don't say, "I'm on a diet," say, "no, I'm trying to eat more healthily." There's no stigma around that.

Confidence is far more important than what you look like, but if you're not happy with what you look like, then it's difficult to be confident. And obviously, it's never a good situation to be clinically obese anyway.

I'm quite skinny myself, but I've recently started exercising more, because I realised I'm actually pretty unfit too. A quick tip: if you don't want people to see you running, go at night time. Not only will no-one see you, but you don't have to worry about traffic and so on, and you stay cool. In fact, I might go for a run in a minute. :D
  • Options

Also don't diet, just try and eat a healthy, balanced diet. When someone asks you if you want a kebab, don't say, "I'm on a diet," say, "no, I'm trying to eat more healthily." There's no stigma around that.

Alternatively he could ask for a chikcen donner with salad and chilli sauce. Low GI carbs with protein and a portion of veg :D
  • Options
    Its just embarresing i was thinking of getting an excersise bike or some whatever but the prices? they cost a bomb..

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3027743/Trail/searchtext%3EEXERSIZE+BIKE.htm - damn good for the price, 2 months gym subscription if you think of it that way. (ignore the maximum user weight the max on mine was 15 and it never broke)

The most important thing to do with it is never put it away ever, get the bugger in the middle of the room facing a TV so you trip over it whenever you move and dont forget its there.
  • Options
    You do realise that a lot of the blokes you'd meet in the gym started off at least a little overweight, and often a lot? They're not going to judge you. It's a gym. It's designed for unfit people to get fit.

:yes:

Seems to me that you're just making excuses and not looking at the bigger picture. Sure, you may be embarrassed for a couple of months but when that fat starts sliding off, you'll feel so good about yourself and open up a whole new chapter in your life, that any 'embarrassment' will seem insignificant.
  • Options
    Seriously gyms are not like that at all! You do get a few who are really fit well built etc but they weren't always like that! You get everyone and anyone going to gyms who are all shapes and sizes! No one cares and no one judges. I know that when I'm at the gym I am too busy doing my workout to worry about other people and what they look like and are doing. If anything I'd have admaration (sp?!) for you for joining the gym to get fit and healthy. I used to be quite big and when I joined the gym when I was 17 I felt the same but honestly once you get into it you really don't care!

Just go shove a hat and your ipod on loud and get on with it ;)
  • Options
    You could go with a friend if your that bothered about going?

Oh I'd love a chicken kebab! Umm I'm hungry!

But on a serious note, what's there to be embarrassed about? Sounds like a lack of confidence. You've come here for advice, we're giving it to you but your doing your best to get out of what we recommend.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    You could go with a friend if your that bothered about going?

Oh I'd love a chicken kebab! Umm I'm hungry!

But on a serious note, what's there to be embarrassed about? Sounds like a lack of confidence. You've come here for advice, we're giving it to you but your doing your best to get out of what we recommend.

No one ever said im getting out of what you recommend also i have thought about going to the gym with a friend.

Also to everyone who has posted i havent made this thread about gym advice read up and see what i asked.
    "What do girls see in dudes who have a belly on them?"
    thanks.
  • Options
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3027743/Trail/searchtext%3EEXERSIZE+BIKE.htm - damn good for the price, 2 months gym subscription if you think of it that way. (ignore the maximum user weight the max on mine was 15 and it never broke)

The most important thing to do with it is never put it away ever, get the bugger in the middle of the room facing a TV so you trip over it whenever you move and dont forget its there.

60 quid not bad i have 40 in my wallet..im sure my mam will cough up the rest

cheers bro uve been alot of help
  • Options
  • Options
    And if you're not a fan of dieting, try http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Make-You-Thin-New/dp/059306092X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234455933&sr=8-1

I dropped a stone and a half with it. Eat chips if you like, pizza etc
  • Options
    And if you're not a fan of dieting, try http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Make-You-Thin-New/dp/059306092X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234455933&sr=8-1

I dropped a stone and a half with it. Eat chips if you like, pizza etc

Im not a fan of reading at all but the CD sounds good

what does he say on it?
  • Options
    You'd be better off with the book than the CD mate - that's all just about relaxation and self image.

The basis of the theory is you can eat what you want and when you want but stop when you're full and learn to listen to your body (being overweight is basically overeating).

He also says about chewing your food more, that way it tastes better (he's right) and not being bothered about leaving food if you get full up.

It's a good book and not tedious at all. Obviously he goes in to better detail than I have and for about a fiver it's worth it. You can also get it from places like WH Smiths etc.
  • Options
    You'd be better off with the book than the CD mate - that's all just about relaxation and self image.

The basis of the theory is you can eat what you want and when you want but stop when you're full and learn to listen to your body (being overweight is basically overeating).

He also says about chewing your food more, that way it tastes better (he's right) and not being bothered about leaving food if you get full up.

It's a good book and not tedious at all. Obviously he goes in to better detail than I have and for about a fiver it's worth it. You can also get it from places like WH Smiths etc.

sounds good but i hate reading books they dont interest me at all and when i turn a page all which was on the previous just goes out the other ear sort of speak.
  • Options
    For a fiver you don't have much to lose...
  • Options
    For a fiver you don't have much to lose...

agreed, i dont think i will need that, im looking at the exercise bikes still for my room that wud be best i reckon.
  • Options
    Excercise as much as you like mate but without your diet sorted you're pissing in the wind.

It's possible to be fit and fat at the same time.....
  • Options
    All good suggestions...and the exercise bike sounds like a winner. Also, if you can try to get into the habit of walking when possible if you're not already - good way of making sure you get a little exercise each day and isn't a major lifestlye change. If you don't cook much at the moment, getting more involved with preparing the meals you eat may help. I was always a junk food lover as a kid and would rarely touch vegetables. As I learnt to cook, and experimented with adding different herbs and spices, I've found I much prefer eating homemade to shop bought processed foods, and will now eat just about any fruit and veg. It also prolongs the meal - after spending time preparing you know you're going to be properly hungry and enjoy the food all the more at the end! :D