Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ID Problem

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Littleali wrote: »
    not all 18yr olds drive/have a valid passport

This.

I got ID'd for cigarettes once in WHSmiths in Kings Cross just after they changed it to 18. I don't have a driver's license and I don't tend to take my passport around when I'm just visiting Rich for a weekend. The only thing I had was my expired Connexions Card from college which the guy thankfully accepted. I am 19, but people at work (not customers, the people I actually work with) have assumed that I am easily over 20 and I have looked at least 18 for years, and because I very rarely get ID'd for anything, I don't see the benefit in risking getting my passport stolen just because some guy won't accept a genuine form of ID just because it's a couple of months out of date.
  • Options
    tehfincheh wrote: »
    I don't go out to make friends with the staff. I go out to socialize with my mates and have a good time.

And if you think that staff there are so ridiculous there with IDing, then you're not going to be doing the above are you? So take your custom elsewhere where they aren't so "ridiculous".

I take it then that if you were working in a bar that you'd just use your "common sense" when IDing people buying drinks and be quite happy to receive the fine then if you were wrong?

Doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or unfair or whatever, fact is problem still remains, so unless you do something to change it then you'll just have to deal with it.
  • Options
    Point is, I could bring my birth certificate, my National Insurance card, my medical forms, my provisional license, my property history, my bank statements and the birthday badge from my 18th birthday party and I'd still be faced with this problem.

Which could belong to anyone and don't (apart from the birth certificate) prove your age.

As your passport has just expired, and you're 20, i assum you got a 5 year passport at 15 ? People change a hell of a lot in 5 years at that age.

You're moaning that people won't take a passport that's a few days out of date. So is a passport a few weeks out of date ok ? or a few years ? There has to be a cut off point somewhere.
  • Options
    As your passport has just expired, and you're 20, i assum you got a 5 year passport at 15 ? People change a hell of a lot in 5 years at that age.
    Ironically enough, you can no longer even see my passport picture properly through the wear and tear that comes with carrying it around with me night after night.
    Doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or unfair or whatever, fact is problem still remains, so unless you do something to change it then you'll just have to deal with it.
    Read the first post.
  • Options
    For anybody that's interested, here's why ID should be outlawed.

Maybe you should write rants for thesite.org

When you made it into a blog like that, i found it worthwhile reading.
  • Options
    Well, I managed to get my photo done yesterday in a post office over at Kings Cross.

Nailed it first time.

It's sad that I swooned.
  • Options
    Bump, to update on this...

After all the hassle of getting my forms countersigned, the passport HQ fast-tracked me and so I'm picking up my passport tonight after work. I have ID for the weekend and all is saved.

BUT...

I think I must be the first person in history to pay more for ID, than for the holiday itself.

Passport: £124
    Citizen Card: £26
    Provisional Drivers: £50
    Photos: £24 (don't fucking ask)
    Birth Certificate Reissue: £7

Total expenses of £231

A week in Amsterdam with accommodation and flights cost me £210.

HOW DOES THAT WORK
  • Options
    Why on Earth did you get a citizen card? The whole point is that they're issued to people without passports or driver's licences.

As for the rest of the stuff, the passport and licence would have had to be got sooner or later, and if it took you £24 to take photos then you're either using a photo booth in a Mayfair hotel, or you can't read instructions.
  • Options
    I got the Citizen Card because I wasn't expecting the passport to come this week. That's as much as they said. And I needed ID this week.

As for the photos...a very long story. They ain't cheap at £5 a bash, especially when you fuck up and have to start breaking change.
  • Options
    I got the Citizen Card because I wasn't expecting the passport to come this week. That's as much as they said. And I needed ID this week.

As for the photos...a very long story. They ain't cheap at £5 a bash, especially when you fuck up and have to start breaking change.

Do you not have those computerised photo booths where you can try many times and then select when you're happy? And they show you how to line up for passport photos?
  • Options
    I think they only let you try 3 times.
  • Options
    So the rants now with the cost of the ID's again rather than the bar staff :P

I agree that the prices are a bit fucking stupid.
  • Options
    They give you 3 shots at the photo, which I completely ballsed up the first time. Well...and the other two times, to be fair.

The booth didn't have the usual screen marks to show you where to look, but the problem was that the seat was slightly too high and there wasn't enough white space in the top of the photo.

Oh, and I also fucked up sufficiently that I took the perfect photo...and pressed the wrong button. Instead of four passport sized pics, I was pretty pissed off to receive one A5 sized photo of my grizzly nasties in all their magnified glory.

There's only so many ways you can react when that happens. I must've looked like a right tool to print a photo memoir usually reserved for swanning couples...

Anyway, I also had to pay for photos for the Citizen Card and Driving Provisional.

That on top of breaking a tenner every bloody time I used the machine.

On my work desk, I have a 2008 diary, a pritstick and a pack of sticky notes.

W.H.Smith can kiss my balls.
  • Options
    Passport: £124

Since when were passports £124? I was looking at them earlier and they were only £72.:confused:
  • Options
    £72 is the standard service.

Mine was for a next day collection renewal on a damaged passport.

The difference is only a matter of paperwork, but they'll take any opportunity to charge you up the arse for it. I'm not too bothered. I have the ID I needed, it's just a bit of pain that I've had to shell out a small fortune of Stella money to get it.