Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ID Problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in a bit of a bollocked situation where I have nothing but an expired and damaged passport as my form of ID.

I'm going on holiday on the 30th August, and I have many events coming up where it's possible that I might need to flash some valid ID.

So, who can give me the rundown on the quickest form of valid ID that its possible to get?

Until I have something legally binding, I'm chancing my luck a fair bit with nights out. This is all down to the shameful ID policing in London pubs and bars. I don't look remotely under 18, but common sense rarely shines through with these people.

Comments

• Options
    I love you
  • Options
    Get yourself a driver's licence, you don't need to be driving to have one and it sorts out all sorts of ID problems. A citizen card is ok for getting you in a pub, but if you need ID for anything more complicated, ie anything then a DL is a better way to go.
  • Options
    Where are you going on holiday? If it's abroad then you'll need a valid passport, nothing else is acceptable.
  • Options
    I've already booked my fast-track Passport appointment, which is on the 5th of August. They're saying they'll have it sent out to me a week after that, so I'll be fine for the holiday.

It looks like I can get this Citizen Card in 5 to 7 days, which is good enough for me.

Thing is, I've been using my old passport to go out drinking through bars and clubs for the best part of 3 years and as a result - the passport is a crumpled, damaged heap.

That's why I'm looking for an alternate form of ID to carry around with me. One which isn't going to cost £97 to replace when I inevitably put it through the washing machine.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    most places round here don't accept provisionals

I don't know why, the checks are exactly the same as for a regular licence.
  • Options
    tehfincheh wrote: »
    This is all down to the shameful ID policing in London pubs and bars. I don't look remotely under 18, but common sense rarely shines through with these people.

Maybe because its challenge 21,f you look under 21 they will ID you.

It does anoy me when people go on about shameful ID practices, end of the day, you either have ID or you dont. Think how you would feel if you lost your job and got a fine for serving someone under the age of 18.
  • Options
    The idea of challenging somebody if they don't look 21 is plain stupid though. Challenge somebody if they don't look 18. That's the legal age, after all.

I have friends who are 27, 28, 29 and they still get ID'd and refused entry if they don't have it on them. It's draconian measures to the max.

More to the point though, it's not that I'm annoyed that I can't get in somewhere without ID. It's that I can be refused entry for having a passport which states my age and happens to be out of date by a week or so. Utterly ridiculous and a hopeless failure of common sense.
  • Options
    The idea of challenging somebody if they don't look 21 is plain stupid though. Challenge somebody if they don't look 18. That's the legal age, after all.

So what about the people who look well over 18 but are infact 17?

Yes i know theres a lack of common sense in the world, in my places and peole.
    But i hear your argument every weeked, simple solution is,ave valid ID.
  • Options
    So what about the people who look well over 18 but are infact 17?
    They should apply common sense on a group by group basis.

If you have a bunch of 22 year olds, all with ID stating roughly the same age, and somebody amongst them who looks 22 but doesn't have ID on him...let him in.

If you have a group of guys who all look roughly 18 but don't have any ID to prove it...keep them out.
    But i hear your argument every weeked, simple solution is,ave valid ID.
    Sooner or later, I'll need ID to wipe my arse in Victoria's 20p-a-go toilets.
  • Options
    They should apply common sense on a group by group basis.

If you have a bunch of 22 year olds, all with ID stating roughly the same age, and somebody amongst them who looks 22 but doesn't have ID on him...let him in.

Which is actually illegal to do if he has been ID'd and doesnt have any.
  • Options
    Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it should be.

I have major issues with the double standards that some of these pubs and clubs go by.

If you're a good looking girl outside a empty-ish club on a Saturday night, there's no way you're getting ID'd.

If you're with a group of 20 friends and ready to splash your cash outside an empty-ish pub on a Saturday night, there's no way you're getting ID'd.

I can understand why a club should be legally required to check for ID where there's a doubt over the guy's age. But if a guy looks 21, and has a passport that's slightly out of date which says he's 21, then he should be allowed in.

I think it's absolutely shambolic that a pub can turn around to me - after I've given them my custom for three years and they've seen me week in week out - and suddenly say "oh no, sorry pal, no ID."

Legal or not, it's pathetic, over-policed and completely lacking in common sense.
  • Options
    Don't bother with that citzien card guff, Finch. My sisters friend bought one for her daughter and they got refused.
  • Options
    I'm still getting ID'd at the age of 29, although only in shops. Never had it happen in a bar or club. One shop (Asda) ID'd me for buying one of those squeezy plastic things that you use to ignite a gas cooker hob! I guess it could count as a weapon, but you do need a fuel/gas source for it to become an effective weapon :-) I can understand getting ID'd for kitchen knives though. Do they ID people for buying top-shelf magazines or 18-rated videos?
  • Options
    I was 30 yesterday and had a night out...got ID'd for cigs in the Co-op before I went out, and then 4 more times once we were out in bars and clubs! I take it as a compliment and don't find it annoying that i have to carry ID. When I stop getting ID'd...then I'll be worried!

It is strange they won't accept a provicional licence though.
  • Options
    I've never had problems with a provisional licence as ID.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Do they ID people for buying top-shelf magazines or 18-rated videos?

:yes:

On my till the other day it asked me to ID somebody for buying a computer magazine :lol: He was about 40 so I didnt bother.

Can anybody tell me why a passport thats expired cant be used?

Mine expired the 1st of july but I've got a full drivers lisence.
  • Options
    Because you can change the photo on an expired passport without having to worry about it being spotted when crossing a border.
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why a passport thats expired cant be used?
    I suppose because technically it's not "valid ID" anymore. But then, what do they want? If something was valid a week ago, but isn't anymore, I don't see why that should alter their judgement of your age.

Just a quiet word in the ear of "better get that renewed soon" should suffice. As long as people don't abuse it by bringing in passports that are years expired, it shouldn't make a difference.

If the citizen card is a no-go, I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna apply for. I might just take a chance and bring the expired passport along with some token documents like a birth certificate.

Throw enough legal documents at them and one's bound to stick.
  • Options
    I think that you are right in what you are saying about expired ID.

The thing is, by law, they are not allowed to accept it.
  • Options
    I never take out my passport on nights out, I keep my provionsal as proof of age (even though I gave up learing to drive ages ago) as its a handy size. Never had it refused either.
  • Options
    If the citizen card is a no-go, I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna apply for. I might just take a chance and bring the expired passport along with some token documents like a birth certificate.

I don't think many places accept this. I learnt that the hard way last year.

Do pubs/shops accept NUS cards? If not, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a passport. (Don't drive for medical reasons, therefore can't get a provisional)
  • Options
    NUS cards are a no no, as some scottish kids go uni when they are 17.

Now you mihsy "just check the date of birth but you cant go having one rule for one lot, and one fo another.

As for the pass cards, quite easy to sort one out showing a false age on
  • Options
    The idea of challenging somebody if they don't look 21 is plain stupid though. Challenge somebody if they don't look 18. That's the legal age, after all. I have friends who are 27, 28, 29 and they still get ID'd and refused entry if they don't have it on them.
    Do you actually know what kind of penalties staff can face if they serve under-age customers in bars and shops? For two years, I worked in a shop and dealt with this issue on a daily basis. I was told if I had even the slightest doubt about someone's age when purchasing age-restricted products, (usually alcohol and tobacco) I was to immediately ask for ID.

For reference, here's three laws governing the sale of alcohol in a nutshell:
    It's illegal to serve alcohol to someone who is under the age of 18.
    It's illegal to serve alcohol to someone over 18 who intends to supply it to a minor.
    It's illegal to attempt to buy alcohol when you are under the age of 18.

Those people who don't have any, and then complain about it, have no one but themselves to blame. I refused countless people, and few people ever accepted it quietly. I'd either end up getting a load of abuse for daring to do my job properly. Either that, or this person's parents would come in with them later to try buying it. I couldn't sell it to them either, because I knew they were going to give that straight to him. At that point, they'd normally demand to see my manager. (if he wasn't already there) One person openly said that I should break the law and risk losing my job simply so he could have a few cans of Carling. I'm not making this up!

One other thing you might wish to know. Let's say a group of young people came to a bar or a shop wanting to buy alcohol together. The attendant or bar staff would be completely within their rights to ask every single person in the group for ID. Indeed, they'd usually be expected to do this. Myself, I would have no problem whatsoever with being asked for ID - I'd see it as something of a compliment myself. I'd be more than happy to show them my drivers licence, despite the fact my photo on there makes me look like a mass murderer.

Today, I work as an arcade attendant and we have an over-18s section there as well. We apply the law in exactly the same way there, and have to ask for ID whenever we see anyone who we think is under the age of 21. The fact is, being asked for ID nowadays is a normal part of being a young adult, so there really isn't an excuse for having any.
    It's that I can be refused entry for having a passport which states my age and happens to be out of date by a week or so. Utterly ridiculous and a hopeless failure of common sense.
    Tough shit. Had you known that you'd be travelling, you should have checked this weeks, maybe even months in advance to make sure it would cause no problems. This is entirely your own fault.
  • Options
    I'm sure I asked a question about ID just under a year ago and I did get told what MrG has just said.

I actually know of very few places that accept anything other than a passport or driving licence.
  • Options
    What amuses me is all these people who kick off saying "but i am 18 for fucks sake"

If people are 18, why do they not have any ID, you shouldnt have to carry ID around with you all the time, but if you are going out drinking, or any other age restricted activity (especially childrens rates on the buses or student discount) bring ID with you :P
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I'm sure I asked a question about ID just under a year ago and I did get told what MrG has just said. I actually know of very few places that accept anything other than a passport or driving licence.
    In our arcades, we have an over 18s area, and those are the only two forms of ID which we will accept as well. I think this is pretty much the universal standard nowadays.
    MrG wrote: »
    What amuses me is all these people who kick off saying "but i am 18 for fucks sake"
    What also amazed me was the tricks that some people used in order to try and fool us. One trick, particularly used by groups of young females, was that they'd send one in to check out who was serving on the tills. Minutes later, they'd usually send in one of the more attractive ones in the group, thinking that I was never going to ask a blonde bombshell with big tits and a nice arse for some ID. Never worked, though!
  • Options
    Is it normal practise for people to be refused a non-alcoholic drink if they have no ID & look under 18? This happened to me last year and I had to get a friend of mine to tell the bar staff I was over 18 and then they gave it to me.
  • Options
    Is it normal practise for people to be refused a non-alcoholic drink if they have no ID & look under 18? This happened to me last year and I had to get a friend of mine to tell the bar staff I was over 18 and then they gave it to me.
    I've never seen that before myself. However, I would never accept a word from a friend that someone was over the age of 18.
  • Options

Well its stupidity to refuse a non alcoholic drink and then serve them afterwards, what the point might have been, was that they shouldnt have even been on the premesis, therefore not allowed to be served anything, if they were under 18.
  • Options
    Sticking to the subject of ID, I found it difficult to get onto an Orange phone contract back in 2004. I was required to show them two forms of ID. They didn't accept passports but they did allow driver's licenses. Well I have a lifelong sight disability where I'm not allowed to drive, so no passport and no driver's license now. As I was also only renting at the time, bills and statements were hard to come by. I had NTL internet in my name, so that was granted OK. I've no idea what I did for the 2nd form of ID! I think I got my landlord involved in the end, showing a proof that I paid monthly rent.

So yes, why did Orange had to make it so hard, yet I had no problems getting onto British Gas, my water company or insurers? Even buying a house didn't ask for that much ID FFS!