Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A levels on my CV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do I still need my GCSEs and A levels on my CV once I've finished?

My GCSEs are Ok, but due to problems I was having at home, as well as undiagnosed learning difficulties my A levels are poor (as in two Cs and an E).

I'm worrying this will affect my job prospects. I am not thick... I'm currently averaging 68% on my papers at university. However, loads of places aren't even replying to my job applications.

Also, will my degree not being from a top uni (mine is mediocre) affect my application?

Comments

• Options
    you need to put your a level on your cv anyway. but you could focus your cv on the skills you have on offer more so than on your education - skills for example from previous employment / voluntary work / PDP courses and the like. and if your averaging a 2.1, you can always write your predicted grade on your cv which should help it. :)
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    yea apparently its illegal not to declare all the exams you've taken on your CV according to the school (cause I wanted to ignore the one C i got at GCSE and was told I wasn't allowed to) :(

Don't think that's true, tbh. I don't even mention most of my GCSEs on my CV. I definitely don't mention the X i got in Graphics!

It's illegal to obtain a job by deception, which I guess would involve pretending you had qualifications you didn't, but I don't see the problem with leaving ones you do have off.

To the OP: I would suggest putting how many GSCEs and A Levels you have on your CV, and what subjects your A Levels are in, but not putting the grade. Also google skills-based CVs :)
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Don't think that's true, tbh. I don't even mention most of my GCSEs on my CV. I definitely don't mention the X i got in Graphics!

:yes:

I don't mention GCSE's even though they were good. I would just list the subjects taken and if the employer wants to know more about how you did in GCSE cookery / art/ media you can tell them.
  • Options
    I send out CV's all the time to government departments and international institutions which do not have peoples A-Levels on them. However what people do have is lots of experience and demonstrateable skills and usually at degree (or two).

Your CV needs to show your skills and experience - the problem is that if you have not had a proper job in your field there is little else to go on.

Unless your filling out an application form i recon you could possibly get away with just putting your insititution and expected degree - as long as you have lots of information to put in the bottom half..........

You could also do a skills based CV - so list all your jobs and dates very quickly at the top and then underneath put relevant skills

So for example

Communications - then talk about your coms skills and which jobs you've used them in
    Writing - xzy - which jobs you've used them in
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I definitely don't mention the X i got in Graphics!

That's possible??? I thought the worst you could get was a U (unclassified), that's what I got for my Chemistry mock GCSE. Ahhh, my parents weren't impressed. Upped it a bit for my actual exam though thank god.

Anyway, yes, maybe focus on your skills for a CV rather than the grades. You can always just put "3 passes" or whatever instead of the actual grades, I guess. Dunno if that would look worse or better :chin:

I'm applying for loads of summer jobs and most of them haven't bothered getting back to me, which is depressing, but oh well. Chin up, good luck!
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    That's possible??? I thought the worst you could get was a U (unclassified), that's what I got for my Chemistry mock GCSE.

:yes:

X is absent from exam. Was due to a mix up and my stupid teenage hormones when I told them they could stick their stupid GCSE, and them telling me they would withdraw me from the exam and then not doing that at all. :mad:
  • Options
    My brother got an 'N' for one of his A levels I think its somewhere between an E and a U.

I dont lie about my exam results on my CV, but I do edit out the couple of D grades I have at GSCE/AS level.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with leaving out things from a CV. You aren't under any obligation to tell them everything! I know several people with PhDs who said for previous jobs they had to deliberately not mention their PhD, otherwise the employer would see them as being overqualified (and would therefore need to be paid more).

If A levels are on the CV people will look at them, but sometimes GCSEs are more closely examined, since these can be a better indicator than A levels. At the very least you should include your main GCSEs (English, maths, science) if you passed them.

You need to organise your CV based on the job you're applying for, and your skill set. If your degree is relevant, you can emphasise the modules and average grade on there. If the degree is completely irrelevant, then mention it briefly, but concentrate more on your skills and experience. Find examples of teamwork, motivation, planning, etc.

Also you shouldn't necessarily use the same CV for every job application. The addition of an 'objective' section or covering letter will impress them, but try and alter the emphasis of the text as well, if necessary. I have an education-based CV for academic things and a skills-based CV for part-time work.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with leaving out things from a CV. You aren't under any obligation to tell them everything! I know several people with PhDs who said for previous jobs they had to deliberately not mention their PhD, otherwise the employer would see them as being overqualified (and would therefore need to be paid more).

But if I do that I'll have a massive great hole in my CV, where for the past 3 years all I've done is a 7 hour a week job :confused: I can't see how that would improve the CV to be honest....
  • Options
    My brother got an 'N' for one of his A levels I think its somewhere between an E and a U.

Nothing wrong with getting an N, I got one myself, as well as a D and a U. The only A level result I put on my CV is the D, it hasnt harmed me so far.
  • Options
    I haven't got any academic qualifications on my CV and haven't for years now (I'm 28). I mention the few industry relevant qualifications I have and that is it.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Do I still need my GCSEs and A levels on my CV once I've finished?

You don't have to put anything on a CV. But if you've not got a lot of work experience then really people are going to want to look at your past academic experience, because what else are they going to judge on?

It is, of course, up to you how you choose to put things across. "3 A-levels including English" for example, tells people that you've completed 3 A-levels and one of them was English, it doesn't say "but I only got a U".
  • Options
    just to ask, i have 9 GCSEs, 1 BTEC first, 1 BTEC ND, a key skills coms level 3, a city and guilds, and then my uni course i'm going on to...should i put all of it? i've been told my CV is a bit off putting for the jobs i apply for because it makes me look majorly overqualified
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    yea apparently its illegal not to declare all the exams you've taken on your CV according to the school (cause I wanted to ignore the one C i got at GCSE and was told I wasn't allowed to) :(

I think it is against the rules of UCAS for university applications although for CVs you can leave off what you like.
  • Options
    You only need to include details relevant to the job you're applying to. But I suspect that any graduate job would want your academic history, since that's pretty much all they'll be basing their decisions on. Once you get relevant work experience, then you can drop the detail about things you achieved in school.
  • Options
    How important are GCSE and A-Level results to a graduate employer?

I really need to sort out my CV.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    How important are GCSE and A-Level results to a graduate employer?

I really need to sort out my CV.

If you're going into a graduate programme they can be very important. Some of them have funny rules.

I was refused on to some graduate scheme (can't remember which one now, a fairly big company though) because one of my A-level grades was a grade too low. Ridiculously, they suggested at the same time as rejecting me from the scheme that I submit an application for a non-scheme position. Needless to say I didn't bother.