Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Flat tummy

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I would like to get a flatter tummy.

I know sit ups are the best idea but I (as many of you know) have a bad back (coccyx) and after trying to do even one I end up nearly in tears so they are sadly a no no.

I know swimming is good for your tum, but I cannot unfortunately afford to go swimming anymore :(

So any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunnie wrote: »
    after trying to do even one I end up nearly in tears so they are sadly a no no.

excuses excuses :no:

I have absolutly nothing remotely useful to say . . . ever.
  • Options
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    excuses excuses :no:

I have absolutly nothing remotely useful to say . . . ever.

I know - you are just mean!!!

Stace - I know that, but I am losing weight but I would like to be a little more toned (as well as less flabby :p) around the tummy area.

What exercises do people do at Legs Bums and Tums? I dont think my exercise bike is working my tummy, so thats no good.
  • Options
    Ever tried one of those electrical things that makes you tense your stomach muscles? My mum had one, it was weird!
  • Options
    Stand in your kitchen with your bum to a corner. put hands out onto counter top. lift feet off floor. bend your knees so your thighs are parrallel with floor. in short controlled movements, bring your knees up to your chest a few inches and back down again. feel it? :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Stand in your kitchen with your bum to a corner. put hands out onto counter top. lift feet off floor. bend your knees so your thighs are parrallel with floor. in short controlled movements, bring your knees up to your chest a few inches and back down again. feel it? :D

:lol: and you figured that out HOW? :razz:
  • Options
    I do these arm dip things facing the other way around. no idea why, I just use household stuff to work out with. Get bored waiting for a kettle to boil and that kind of thing.

ETA: did you try it?
  • Options
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    :lol: and you figured that out HOW? :razz:

was what i was thinking :chin:
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Could you invest in exercise ball? You can get one for about a fiver. Sit ups are much easier on those :yes:

That is a dirty lie. I can do about 25 "normal" sit-ups before I get too tired but I can only manage 2 on those wanking things before it destroys any energy I may have had. Although to be fair I did do it straight after almost killing myself on the treadmill.

Also - you don't really *need* to lose weight to get a flatter tummy. I have lost weight, but not masses, and tbh my flatter tummy is mostly because I've stopped eating stuff that makes me bloated on a regular basis. I know this because I still get a monster tummy when I come on my period :grump:.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    That is a dirty lie. I can do about 25 "normal" sit-ups before I get too tired but I can only manage 2 on those wanking things before it destroys any energy I may have had. Although to be fair I did do it straight after almost killing myself on the treadmill.

Exercise balls are just good to sit on like if your watching tv. You have too keep your balance more and use your core muscles meaning stonger tummy muscles :thumb:
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Unfortunately, as I've learned, there are no exercises you can do specifically to make your stomach flatter. To make your stomach flatter, you just need to lose weight. Any exercises you do for your stomach will work the muscles underneath the fat layer.

Not quite correct. You need to lose BODY FAT, not 'weight'.

Try this quick but extremely effective ab workout to hit your muscles hard. RAWR.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Not quite correct. You need to lose BODY FAT, not 'weight'.

Try this quick but extremely effective ab workout to hit your muscles hard. RAWR.
    I really thought I had replied to this!!

Strange!!

That looks ok (I know it wont be, but I am kidding myself) so I may invest in a ball and try out a few of them moves :)
  • Options
    I really thought I had replied to this!!

Strange!!

That looks ok (I know it wont be, but I am kidding myself) so I may invest in a ball and try out a few of them moves :)

It will hurt like high hell if you're doing it right. :thumb: Both go_away and I have done this workout (and neither of us are exactly out of shape) and I know I was sore for 2-3 days afterwards. :D

Make sure you have correct form - watch the video closely. Get somebody to check your form if needs be.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    It will hurt like high hell if you're doing it right. :thumb: Both go_away and I have done this workout (and neither of us are exactly out of shape) and I know I was sore for 2-3 days afterwards. :D

Make sure you have correct form - watch the video closely. Get somebody to check your form if needs be.

Oh dear god! haha! Thanks
  • Options
    Oh dear god! haha! Thanks

Honestly though - it's worth it.

Following plans by trainers that are recognised to be successful is always a hell of a lot better than just going into the gym blindly and thinking what you are going to be doing will be correct. :)
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    1) Lay on your back

2) Get a fairly heavy perspex box

3) Place on stomach

4) Take photo through perspex of new flat tum! Ta da!

if only it stayd like that after i took the box off :rolleyes: