Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

5 things to change about the UK

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did I? I don't remember even commenting on it.

Sorry, got confused lol
  • Options
    1. I'd support polytheist faith schools just to wind up all the monotheists :p actually i'd lower the legal class size limit to 20 in all state schools. Then i'd reduce the national curriculum burden by increasing the vagurity of it and allow teachers more freedom to teach.

2. I'd nationalise all the natural monopolies or long term investments, like rail, air traffic control, national grid, nuclear energy & water and make sure there was decent infrastructure investments since they drain us in subsidy really anyway

3. I'd build a decent offshore wind network, introduce no fishing zones around the UK so stocks can replenish, replace the existing nuclear plants with more efficients but same size ones, and actually do a deep underground disposal(at the moment it lingers in sellafield). I'd introduce feed in tariffs for people with home electrical generation and pump money for research into nuclear fusion electricity. I'd also build the the severn river tidal system which alone would generate 10% of countries electircity demands
    - The long term revenue would fund it

4. Allow non-policemen to do all the paperwork so actual policemen can do their job, lower numbers of PCSOs and up the police numbers, and fund decent facilities for the military and withdraw from iraq and afghanistan and cancel the ID cards and NID systems
    -number 4 would fund itself

5. I'd make a tax free limit of 15k on all earnings from all sources, abolish NI and just up income tax to 40% across the board for all earnings over £15,000 (a 25k/year job would pay £4000 a year income tax or 16%, and a 115k/year job would pay 40k tax or 34.8%) and increase VAT to 19% and charge capital gains tax at the same as income tax, because unearned income shouldn't be taxed lower than worked for income

and i'd make the house of lords filled with people on a complete and utter lottery on all uk citizens over 18 who will get cushy salary for 90%+ attendance for 6 years and can only get it once
  • Options
    Its interesting to note that no one responded to StarGalaxys post, there were several juicy points there just screaming out for us 'pinko lefties' to get angry about but no one did.

SG - you're loosing your edge.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its interesting to note that no one responded to StarGalaxys post, there were several juicy points there just screaming out for us 'pinko lefties' to get angry about but no one did.

He's becoming more libertarian by the day. ;)
  • Options
    He's becoming more libertarian by the day. ;)

Not really, he doesn't believe in the social liberalism which that would entail, he's more just a small government conservative with a hardline law and order bent.
  • Options
    Its interesting to note that no one responded to Stargalaxys post, there were several juicy points there just screaming out for us 'pinko lefties' to get angry about but no one did.
    To those who can't be arsed checking back, here are the five things I said;

1. An immediate cut to fuel duty.
    2. A massive reduction in the size of government.
    3. A huge reduction in the number of CCTV cameras that litter our streets.
    4. The immediate abolition of the Human Rights Act.
    5. A reduction in the amount of time that people can be detained without charge.

Number 4 is probably the only one where most of the board would disagree with me. For example, do you know anyone here who argues that increasing the detention limit to 42 days is the right way forward? So I ask you, what was for the "pinko lefties" to get angry about? I should point out, however, that my original list of things to change about the UK did include "Deport all readers of The Guardian newspaper, and boil the editor alive.". :p

As for this idea of me being a hardline right-winger on law and order - it doesn't add up. I've repeatedly said we should be jailing fewer of our citizens, I've spoken about prisons being used as social dustbins by politicians desperate to conceal their own failings... that doesn't sound very hardline to me.
  • Options
    I'd like to shake up the education system after seeing how it works in Poland.

Kids have classes anywhere from 8am to 4pm, but usually they are finished by 2ish. So they have lots of time in the afternoons to do sports and extra activities. There is no lunch hour as such, and breaktimes are limited to short gaps between classes, between 5 and 15 minutes depending on the time of day. So kids get the same amount of education, but have time to do other things as well.

I think that could help with childhood obesity.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'd like to shake up the education system after seeing how it works in Poland. Kids have classes anywhere from 8am to 4pm, but usually they are finished by 2ish. So they have lots of time in the afternoons to do sports and extra activities. There is no lunch hour as such, and breaktimes are limited to short gaps between classes, between 5 and 15 minutes depending on the time of day. So kids get the same amount of education, but have time to do other things as well. I think that could help with childhood obesity.
    Not just with childhood obesity. If you're able to do more at school than just take endless classes and exams, they're more likely to be motivated to stay at school for longer. Meaning that you just might have fewer kids dropping out of school at the age of 16 with no qualifications.

I notice a lot of people coming here from Poland are very highly educated - most of the people I work with at the arcade are educated up to degree level.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    1. An immediate cut to fuel duty.

Which leaves a gaping hole in the government piggy bank, although I do accept that it is high and probably shouldn’t go any higher.
    2. A massive reduction in the size of government.

Fine if you have money, but crap if you don’t. You would see a big dip in the quality of life for a lot of people and crime would increase. But then you have never seemed to care a great deal about society as a whole.
    3. A huge reduction in the number of CCTV cameras that litter our streets.

This I am inclined to go with you on, but there are areas where it is a good idea. The biggest problem with CCTV at the moment is the cameras are largely rubbish so they don’t stand up in court.
    4. The immediate abolition of the Human Rights Act.

Coming from someone who says torture is acceptable I don’t find this surprising. I’m curious about what you seem to have against human rights – yes it protects some people accused of crimes, but then if you were accused you’d rather like protection too. I don’t think you have any concept of the sort of fascistic government you seem to be idealising.
    5. A reduction in the amount of time that people can be detained without charge.

It pains me to do so, but I agree.
    As for this idea of me being a hardline right-winger on law and order - it doesn't add up. I've repeatedly said we should be jailing fewer of our citizens, I've spoken about prisons being used as social dustbins by politicians desperate to conceal their own failings... that doesn't sound very hardline to me.

Well you’ve argued for longer sentences, you’ve suggested torture is an acceptable punishment, you’ve said that people should be deported to torture, forgive me if I see a pattern.
  • Options
    Which leaves a gaping hole in the government piggy bank, although I do accept that it is high and probably shouldn?t go any higher.
    It won't leave a hole in the piggy bank at all. The accountants Grant Thornton have said fuel duty could be cut by 9p a litre immediately, as the Government is raking it in because of high oil prices.
    Fine if you have money, but crap if you don?t. You would see a big dip in the quality of life for a lot of people and crime would increase. But then you have never seemed to care a great deal about society as a whole.
    What, crime would increase because we'd got rid of a few hundred politicians? Surely with the crooks we've got in charge now, the opposite would happen? :p
    This I am inclined to go with you on, but there are areas where it is a good idea. The biggest problem with CCTV at the moment is the cameras are largely rubbish so they don?t stand up in court.
    In that case, either put in decent cameras or get rid of the bloody lot of them.
    Coming from someone who says torture is acceptable I don?t find this surprising. I?m curious about what you seem to have against human rights ? yes it protects some people accused of crimes, but then if you were accused you?d rather like protection too. I don?t think you have any concept of the sort of fascistic government you seem to be idealising.
    And why should people who advocate terrorist attacks in Britain be allowed to remain here on the grounds their "human rights" would be violated? Take the case of that vile Italian man who killed headteacher Philip Lawrence in 1995. He can't be deported because it would apparently breach his human rights. And why do the human rights of a convicted murderer matter? Are you seriously going to take the side of a killer on this one?
    It pains me to do so, but I agree.
    It pains me as well. I don't particularly like being on the same side as a man with all the intelligence of a boiled potato.
    Well you?ve argued for longer sentences, you?ve suggested torture is an acceptable punishment, you?ve said that people should be deported to torture, forgive me if I see a pattern.
    Again, selectively choosing what I've said in the past. I've argued for longer sentences for people who commit the most heinous crimes, especially now that I've withdrawn my support for the death penalty. I've also argued that there should be fewer people in prison. And you have the cheek to accuse me of not checking my facts?
  • Options
    It won't leave a hole in the piggy bank at all. The accountants Grant Thornton have said fuel duty could be cut by 9p a litre immediately, as the Government is raking it in because of high oil prices.

Fair enough, I don’t drive so the fuel price increases of late haven’t directly effected me so I haven’t paid that much attention. If they can be cut and the money to the government is the same then great.
    What, crime would increase because we'd got rid of a few hundred politicians? Surely with the crooks we've got in charge now, the opposite would happen? :p

I’m confused, do you want a smaller state or just less MP’s, because in reality getting rid of all of the MP’s wouldn’t make any difference what so ever to the cost of government.
    In that case, either put in decent cameras or get rid of the bloody lot of them.

Exactly.
    And why should people who advocate terrorist attacks in Britain be allowed to remain here on the grounds their "human rights" would be violated? Take the case of that vile Italian man who killed headteacher Philip Lawrence in 1995. He can't be deported because it would apparently breach his human rights. And why do the human rights of a convicted murderer matter? Are you seriously going to take the side of a killer on this one?

Here you are confusing two totally separate issues. If someone is advocating terrorist attacks then charge them with incitement, it’s a crime after all.
    We can deport him, and the issue has nothing to do with human rights at all. The problem lies with the freedom of movement allowed within the EU, we can deport him, its just he can come right back.
    And no we should never deport people to countries where they will be tortured, because its wrong.
    It pains me as well. I don't particularly like being on the same side as a man with all the intelligence of a boiled potato.

Thanks SG, I’m rather fond of you too.
    Again, selectively choosing what I've said in the past. I've argued for longer sentences for people who commit the most heinous crimes, especially now that I've withdrawn my support for the death penalty. I've also argued that there should be fewer people in prison. And you have the cheek to accuse me of not checking my facts?

Exactly, longer sentences and I remember you advocating torture as a punishment in the past. It is good however to see you growing and understanding that law and order isn’t black and white.
  • Options
    Fair enough, I don?t drive so the fuel price increases of late haven?t directly effected me so I haven?t paid that much attention. If they can be cut and the money to the government is the same then great.
    I notice that it's always people who don't drive who advocate keeping fuel duty at eye-wateringly high levels.
    I?m confused, do you want a smaller state or just less MP?s, because in reality getting rid of all of the MP?s wouldn?t make any difference what so ever to the cost of government.
    I want both of those things. Big government is inefficient at getting things done, and costs a fortune to run. In this day and age, when money is getting tighter, we should be cutting taxes and aiming for smaller government.
    And no we should never deport people to countries where they will be tortured, because its wrong.
    Chindarmo would be deported back to Italy. Last time I checked, people weren't being gassed to death or having their balls electrocuted next to the canals in Venice. (though no doubt Aladdin will come along in a minute, trying to persuade us that's the next plan that big, bad, evil Berlusconi is going to implement...)
    Exactly, longer sentences and I remember you advocating torture as a punishment in the past. It is good however to see you growing and understanding that law and order isn?t black and white.
    Longer sentences for murderers, rapists, paedophiles, those who cook up terrorist plots against our country... why should they ever be allowed out of prison?
  • Options
    Chindarmo would be deported back to Italy. Last time I checked, people weren't being gassed to death or having their balls electrocuted next to the canals in Venice. (though no doubt Aladdin will come along in a minute, trying to persuade us that's the next plan that big, bad, evil Berlusconi is going to implement...)

That bloke was allowed to stay in this country because he'd lived here since he was about 4. You're basically trying to get a criminal that's a product of British society on the technicality that he was born in Italy. Why should Italy have to take him off our hands?
  • Options
    That bloke was allowed to stay in this country because he'd lived here since he was about 4. You're basically trying to get a criminal that's a product of British society on the technicality that he was born in Italy. Why should Italy have to take him off our hands?
    Well, he wasn't born in this country, was he?
  • Options
    I notice that it's always people who don't drive who advocate keeping fuel duty at eye-wateringly high levels.

It’s a tax on the use of a polluting substance, so I do think it should be reasonably high, perhaps not this high.
    I want both of those things. Big government is inefficient at getting things done, and costs a fortune to run. In this day and age, when money is getting tighter, we should be cutting taxes and aiming for smaller government.

Like I said, if you cut the government services people will suffer, which isn’t to say that the government isn’t wasteful but it sounds like you want whole scale change. This will mean, like in the US the poor will suffer.

Nice to see you completely missing my point then, we can deport him, its just that he can come right back, so there is no point.
    Longer sentences for murderers, rapists, paedophiles, those who cook up terrorist plots against our country... why should they ever be allowed out of prison?

I would largely agree with longer sentences for serious offences, but I think indefinite ones should only be issued to the most dangerous.
  • Options
    Like I said, if you cut the government services people will suffer, which isn’t to say that the government isn’t wasteful but it sounds like you want whole scale change. This will mean, like in the US the poor will suffer.
    If any government gives a shit about the poorest people in society, cut the amount of tax they have to pay. In the case of the lowest earning, allow them to pay no tax on their salaries at all. This will encourage people into work, and it will also dispel the idea - right or wrong - that people can be better off on benefits. Setting up a labyrinth of "tax credits" that are so unbelievably complicated not even the Treasury understand them isn't the answer.
  • Options
    If any government gives a shit about the poorest people in society, cut the amount of tax they have to pay. In the case of the lowest earning, allow them to pay no tax on their salaries at all. This will encourage people into work, and it will also dispel the idea - right or wrong - that people can be better off on benefits. Setting up a labyrinth of "tax credits" that are so unbelievably complicated not even the Treasury understand them isn't the answer.

Seems reasonable, move the tax allowance up and put a penny on the rate for earnings over £40k.

Tax credits are supposed to be complicated, same as pension top ups and all the small benefits - if people actually claimed them all the government would have to raise taxes. This way they can proudly claim that pensioners get X amount knowing full well that most cant understand the forms so cant get their money.
  • Options
    Well, he wasn't born in this country, was he?

So? He was in Britain longer than he was ever in Italy. He doesn't even speak Italian ffs.
  • Options
    So? He was in Britain longer than he was ever in Italy. He doesn't even speak Italian ffs.

the fact remains that he isnt British, His Italian, so we should just get the cunt out of Briton as quick as possible, and all that crap about him being a product of British society, his father was a Mafia hitman, that had more to do with fucking him up then British Society,
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    the fact remains that he isnt British, His Italian, so we should just get the cunt out of Briton as quick as possible, and all that crap about him being a product of British society, his father was a Mafia hitman, that had more to do with fucking him up then British Society,

Actually, the fact remains that he's an EU citizen and so like everyone else, is free to live and work anywhere in Europe. He's also served his sentence for his crime and so is a free man.
  • Options
    The fact also remains that his scum, the sort of scum we dont need in this country, and theres nothing to stop us from Baning him from the UK.
  • Options
    The fact also remains that his scum, the sort of scum we dont need in this country, and theres nothing to stop us from Baning him from the UK.

Yes there is, the laws of the EU allow for free movement of people.
  • Options

And if Italy say "fuck you, we're not letting him in?" What are you going to do about it? Parachute him in?
  • Options
    And if Italy say "fuck you, we're not letting him in?" What are you going to do about it? Parachute him in?

force him back.
  • Options
    force him back.
    Jesus Christ. What do you mean force him back? Invade Italy and plant him in the middle of the country? Remember you're the one going back on a signed agreement between the two countries to allow free movement of citizens between them.
  • Options

Perhaps because his ideas are stupid they're no more so than anyone else's who's posted here.
  • Options
    Seems reasonable, move the tax allowance up and put a penny on the rate for earnings over £40k.
    I'd personally put it at higher than £40k myself. I'd prefer to see the really rich people in society actually paying their fair share of tax for once. Under Labour, their business cronies barely know what the word "tax" means.
    Perhaps because his ideas are stupid they're no more so than anyone else's who's posted here.
    On what grounds is calling for a reduction in the amount of time someone can be held without charge a stupid idea? Sounds like the sort of petty playground attack that Jacqui Smith is making against the Tories.
  • Options
    All this talk about Italy, it's funny that we've just accepted back that pyscho from Australia, who is about as British as Stalin was, and who apparently reoffended as soon as he got here....
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Whowhere wrote: »
    All this talk about Italy, it's funny that we've just accepted back that pyscho from Australia, who is about as British as Stalin was, and who apparently reoffended as soon as he got here....

Christ, we bought Glitter back to save him from a death penalty he fully deserved. That was a real bad move. I wanted to watch him get shot by the NVA, it would have been a truely momentous occasion.

Fucks sake, this country is crap.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

Yeah I know about that one. I was pissed off about that, because I thought they should've had to keep him, just like I thought we should keep the "Italian." But unfortunately, there's a legal requirement for us to take the Aussie back, and there's no legal right to prevent this Italian from living anywhere in the EU.