Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spanish cabinet has its first female majority

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/apr/14/spain.gender

This will be interesting to watch the developments over time. Perhaps this is the way forward ... if there had been more females in our cabinet, maybe we would not have gone to war in Iraq.

Comments

• Options
    yup. and maybe hussein would still be at it.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    if there had been more females in our cabinet, maybe we would not have gone to war in Iraq.

Condoleezza Rice and Margaret Thatcher are hardly ardent pacifists... And I don't think Hillary Clinton is either.
  • Options
    phoenix24 wrote: »

At what, exactly? What he was 'at' has never been fully explained.
  • Options
    Condoleezza Rice and Margaret Thatcher are hardly ardent pacifists... And I don't think Hillary Clinton is either.

So .... a few examples makes ALL women less fit to be involved in decisions of war? :) I think that GENERALLY speaking, women will be more cautious in getting involved in conflict.
  • Options
    So .... a few examples makes ALL women less fit to be involved in decisions of war? :) I think that GENERALLY speaking, women will be more cautious in getting involved in conflict.

Based on what? Did a smaller percentage of the women in parliament vote against the Iraq war than men?
  • Options
    How come? Just seems a bit of a gender stereotype, women prefer being friends and hugging and watching soaps, and men just want to wave their willies and have a fight. Not having a go ;) just I'm not convinced someones gender influences their decision on whether to go to war or not. After all - they're supposed to be representing their constituents anyway...
  • Options
    At what, exactly? What he was 'at' has never been fully explained.

Genocide against groups of his own people.
    Invading a neighbouring state.
    Having and using illegal chemical weapons .
    Harbouring and assisting international terrorists.

Four offences that individually make a regime change legal. Saddam did all of them over the course of his regime. We can argue about the methods and timing of the regime change, or America and Europes role in the original abuses (selling weapons and so on), but to try and make the case that removing Saddam isn't morally justified is just ignorant.
  • Options
    but to try and make the case that removing Saddam isn't morally justified is just ignorant.
    Who was doing that?
  • Options
    I don't agree with the last one, he was totalitarian - any terrorists would have had their heads chopped off just like any other people who didn't do exactly what he wanted. He wanted supreme power, I can't see him sharing it. Then again, who really knows what he was up to?
  • Options
    Who was doing that?

You seemed tp be implying that Saddam wasn't "at anything" before he was removed.
  • Options
    You seemed tp be implying that Saddam wasn't "at anything" before he was removed.

Well, at the time prior and including invasion, he wasn't commiting genocide against groups of his own people, invading a neighbouring state, having and using illegal chemical weapons or harbouring and assisting international terrorists. He was guilty of most of these crimes in the past.

He was, however, initially accused of developing WMD ... which was quickly changed to the points you mentioned, as a reason to invade. Although, if this WAS the reason to invade, why didn't the UN back the US and Britain?

Anyhow, this is going off topic ... :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    How come? Just seems a bit of a gender stereotype, women prefer being friends and hugging and watching soaps, and men just want to wave their willies and have a fight.

Actually, I shall withdraw this post ... (if I could) ... this current cabinet has a few witches in it. :)
  • Options
    phoenix24 wrote: »

But if Hussein would have had more women in his cabinet... :chin:

Oh wait! What if HE was a woman! Maybe Georgina would have relaxed, unless it was that time of the month.

:crazyeyes
    I think that GENERALLY speaking, women will be more cautious in getting involved in conflict.

You haven't been married, have you?
    After all - they're supposed to be representing their constituents anyway...

Bingo...
  • Options

We were of course actively facilitating his ability to keep "at it".
  • Options
    Well, at the time prior and including invasion, he wasn't commiting genocide against groups of his own people, invading a neighbouring state, having and using illegal chemical weapons or harbouring and assisting international terrorists. He was guilty of most of these crimes in the past.

He was, however, initially accused of developing WMD ... which was quickly changed to the points you mentioned, as a reason to invade. Although, if this WAS the reason to invade, why didn't the UN back the US and Britain?

Anyhow, this is going off topic ... :)

Well I don't support the war, mainly because Afghanistan was going on. And I think the whole WMD crap was a huge political cock up by our government. But he was arming Libya at the time (who mysteriously contacted the US and UK shortly after the war to peacefully settle it - I wonder why), and terrorist suspects were still having to be let go because they were travelling on diplomatic passports. And which country do you think those diplomatic passports were from? That's right, Iraq.

But anyway, I agree, off topic, so fuck it.
  • Options
    Whereas it is true that there are one or two terrible examples of women in power (maybe as far as some parties and mentalities are concerned, only macho nasty women could possibly be considered for office) I have always believed that if the world had adopted a rule of allowing women only to run governments, many of the wars and conflicts that mankind has endured would have not happened.

It is certainly interesting that one of the women in the Spanish cabinet has been given the Defence post- the first time it happens in Spain and indeed still unheard of in most nations.
  • Options
    Who gives a shit about this, honestly? The government cabinet that most people will want to see is one that uses the best talents, with the most competent politicians in it. Does anyone care whether the ministers in questions have got cocks or not?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Who gives a shit about this, honestly? The government cabinet that most people will want to see is one that uses the best talents, with the most competent politicians in it. Does anyone care whether the ministers in questions have got cocks or not?

No but it's a landmark in terms of women's representation don't you think? Where in most western countries as far as I know the majority of politicians are still white men from middle class backgrounds.

Why the negative attitude? I've seen you post in two threads and you've been whinging in both.
  • Options
    No but it's a landmark in terms of women's representation don't you think?
    Not really. For all I care, you could have a cabinet full of aliens from the planet Zoig. If they did their jobs properly, that's all that would matter to me. I couldn't give a damn what someone's got between their legs, it's their competence which matters to me.
  • Options
    Not really. For all I care, you could have a cabinet full of aliens from the planet Zoig. If they did their jobs properly, that's all that would matter to me. I couldn't give a damn what someone's got between their legs, it's their competence which matters to me.

Precisely. But for years men were voted in because of what they have between their legs. That's not to say they weren't competent, but a woman would have to be much better than an equivilent man to stand a fair chance of becoming an MP. The fact that women now outnumber men in spain's cabinet is an indication that things are changing, which is why it's noteworthy :).
  • Options
    Precisely. But for years men were voted in because of what they have between their legs. That's not to say they weren't competent, but a woman would have to be much better than an equivalent man to stand a fair chance of becoming an MP. The fact that women now outnumber men in spain's cabinet is an indication that things are changing, which is why it's noteworthy :).
    Rubbish. Women have proven more than once in the past that they're up to the job of running government departments or whole countries. It would be too easy for me to name the ever divisive figure that is Margaret Thatcher at this point, so let's go back further. Look at the first female queen that this country had - Queen Elizabeth I. When she became queen, there would doubtless have been voices saying "oh, we've got a woman in charge, this country's going to the dogs". No such thing happened. I think she was a brilliant monarch, and if you ask me, one of the first breed of modern politician. Here was a woman who knew how to win the big battles, who was able to use propaganda to her advantage. She proved, hundreds of years ago, that women were more than capable of doing huge jobs such as running a whole kingdom.

So there are more women than men in Spain's cabinet? Big deal. How many of these ministers are going to prove competent, how many of these ministers will prove that they are up to the job of running massive government departments? That's what we should be discussing, not whether they've got a pair of breasts on them.
  • Options
    I think you're missing my point, but I cba to explain it to you again. I'm not debating whether women are capable or not of running the country.
  • Options
    Even before modern times, women like Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth weren't shy in going to war or burning their populace. I don't like the argument that if women were in power there'd be less wars. The existence of nation states and political realism is a much more dangerous presidence.
  • Options
    Look at the first female queen that this country had - Queen Elizabeth I.

Tut tut, you're English history aint up to scratch. :p
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Tut tut, you're English history aint up to scratch. :p
    Who was it, then? Refresh my memory.
  • Options
    Who was it, then? Refresh my memory.

Matilda.

Heck even Elizabeths sister was Queen before her.
  • Options
    Where would boudicca come? :p
  • Options
    Where would boudicca come? :p

Cheeky git ;) , England wasn't a nation when she was knocking about.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Even before modern times, women like Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth weren't shy in going to war or burning their populace. I don't like the argument that if women were in power there'd be less wars. The existence of nation states and political realism is a much more dangerous presidence.
    However it is probably fair to say that most of the women who managed reach power were either allowed so by their male-dominated parties (Thatcher) because in effect they were the same as the men in all respects bar one, or were groomed from an early age (queens) to think and believe in certain sets of values.

If a day arrives when the major parties are dominated by women, and subsequent leaders are elected by those women as opposed to the old male guard, I do believe on average we would see a lot less hostility and chest beating nationalism in politics. Certainly in most democratic Western nations.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    However it is probably fair to say that most of the women who managed reach power were either allowed so by their male-dominated parties (Thatcher) because in effect they were the same as the men in all respects bar one, or were groomed from an early age (queens) to think and believe in certain sets of values.

If a day arrives when the major parties are dominated by women, and subsequent leaders are elected by those women as opposed to the old male guard, I do believe on average we would see a lot less hostility and chest beating nationalism in politics. Certainly in most democratic Western nations.

Girls can be some of the nastiest creatures around, and I do believe that this is only disguised due to maternal instinct which calms it down.

In playgrounds and school girls are plain vicious. Even at my age so many of my girl-friends fall out with their fgirl-friends, whilst boys are more stable on that regard (for some reason I have adopted the don't give a shit attitude, so not really bothered about things which other friends have massive freak-outs about).
    We might not be obvious about the domination wars, but I don't for a second believe in less wars if females were made to rule. It would just be a different sort of way that conflicts would be played out.