Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lyrics, music, literature or movies that capture substance experience

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently discovered the delights of an album by Sonic Youth called 'Daydream Nation' - and there's a song on that album that's just brilliant called 'Eric's Trip', and I just love those lyrics.

I have never (and now never will) be partaking in anything hallucinogenic but I found this so entertaining because the way it juxtaposes with reality really brings up in the mind of the listener some very familiar images.

Anyone else have any suggestions for music, lyrics, film or art that conveys this experience? n.b: I'm not asking for 'shit-that-looks-cool-when-wasted', I want to examples of things that convey the qualities of mind altering experiences when straight.

Comments

• Options
    Daydream Nation is a wonderful album.

'Confessions of an English Opium-Eater' by Thomas De Quincey. It's a memoir and you can probably gather the subject matter. Written in the 19th century so not worth bothering if you only enjoy stuff set in the 20th/21st, but he's a great writer and goes into the experience, day-to-day living, hallucinations, dreams and morality of the subject. He's also the writer who came up with the idea of the 'palimpsest' of memory and mind, is thought to have originated the "life flashing before your eyes" idea, and wrote other provocative works such as 'On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts'. I digress but yeah, he's not by any means a stuffy Victorian.

Fucked-up poetry, beatniks, John Berryman, Coleridge's Kubla Khan. Movies like Requiem For A Dream give it a go - though that one's not really 'fun'. Pink Floyd?
  • Options
    Confessions of an English Opium-Eater' by Thomas De Quincey. It's a memoir and you can probably gather the subject matter. Written in the 19th century so not worth bothering if you only enjoy stuff set in the 20th/21st, but he's a great writer and goes into the experience, day-to-day living, hallucinations, dreams and morality of the subject. He's also the writer who came up with the idea of the 'palimpsest' of memory and mind, is thought to have originated the "life flashing before your eyes" idea, and wrote other provocative works such as 'On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts'. I digress but yeah, he's not by any means a stuffy Victorian.

:yes: The prose style and philosophical range also marks it out as of the brilliant works of 18th century literature.
  • Options
    Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon
    The Doors film
    Easy Rider-The acid scene
    The big Lebowski
    Reqeuim For a Dream
    Sigur Ros
    The Beatles-Revolver
    Steppenwolf-The Pusher

Theres loads of good drug illustrated songs and films!...
  • Options
    the beatles!!
  • Options
    Reefer Madness!
  • Options
    If you like hip hop

Shroomz - Xzibit
  • Options
    Spaced, that episode where they all take a pill. MAGIC. :razz:
  • Options
    Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon
    The Doors film
    Easy Rider-The acid scene
    The big Lebowski
    Reqeuim For a Dream
    Sigur Ros
    The Beatles-Revolver
    Steppenwolf-The Pusher

Theres loads of good drug illustrated songs and films!...
    yOU MUST BE AS OLD AS ME!
  • Options
    Id say in the more modern world Human Traffic is a film that you can watch when your straight and relate to it! Also music - prodigy and any of the music videos theyve made!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    Id say in the more modern world Human Traffic is a film that you can watch when your straight and relate to it!

:yes: Definately.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    its just as much fun watchin it off your head

only film i could watch on e's :D
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    its just as much fun watchin it off your head

only film i could watch on e's :D
    What about Human Traffic??
  • Options
    The Streets - Blinded By The Lights

Taskforce - The Promise

Yellowcard - Powder

Eminem - My Fault
  • Options
    Human Traffic
    Blow
    City Of God
    Train Spotting
  • Options
    yOU MUST BE AS OLD AS ME!

nah 20 mate....but its so hard to pass the old stuff when most things that pop up now are just regenerated shit...
  • Options
    What about Human Traffic??

thats what im talkin about?? :crazyeyes lol
  • Options
    I think this song is my all time psyhcadelic one from the 60's.
    White Rabbit ...Jefferson Airplane ....FEED YOUR HEAD!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0MDjrl32M&NR=1
    The video is some modern addition.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    The Streets - Blinded By The Lights

Captures being pilled up rather well. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Reqeuim For a Dream

No way man, that film is very very grim. I bought it on DVD and I've only watched it once. It's a good piece of work, but it's very uncomfortable viewing. Wouldn't recommend it to someone wanting to capture the qualities of a mind-altering experience!
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    No way man, that film is very very grim. I bought it on DVD and I've only watched it once. It's a good piece of work, but it's very uncomfortable viewing. Wouldn't recommend it to someone wanting to capture the qualities of a mind-altering experience!

yeh thats true...but if they are looking for something that encapulates a drug binge and that way of life i think its hard to pass..
  • Options
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

some quotes from film

"You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye."

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

"Ah, devil ether. It makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor function. Blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it."

"The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride"
  • Options
    i noticed sum1 has seen "fear and loathing in las vagas" with jonny depp. in my opinion it beats human traffic hands down...
  • Options
    Can't help feeling that Fear and Loathing feels a little too staged, a little too overproduced. I think it fails to capture the manic intensity of the book and is a little too self promoting. Certainly it doesn't seem to go to the really dark places, such as the scene in the book with the waitress in the dinner, that Thompson was prepared to talk about in his writing.

It's good but the book is much better.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    thats what im talkin about?? :crazyeyes lol

Fucked mate. lol
  • Options
    Can't help feeling that Fear and Loathing feels a little too staged, a little too overproduced. I think it fails to capture the manic intensity of the book and is a little too self promoting. Certainly it doesn't seem to go to the really dark places, such as the scene in the book with the waitress in the dinner, that Thompson was prepared to talk about in his writing.

Yes, but it does make a very good stab at making a movie out of an almost impossible book.

But then I think Hunters political writing is better than Fear and Loathing its just not as comercial.
  • Options

yes...but it is still a brilliant film and it does capture a drug binge very well....

i prefer "Where the buffalo run" its more relaistic, funny and Bill Murray is brilliant!
  • Options
    i prefer "Where the buffalo run" its more relaistic, funny and Bill Murray is brilliant!

I wasnt as convinced by that one, I think Depp got Hunters captured Hunters movements more closely.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I wasnt as convinced by that one, I think Depp got Hunters captured Hunters movements more closely.

i know but the lack of special effects in where the buffalo run made it more realistic..
  • Options
    This band were better known by the middle of the road public for middle of the road kinda songs ...probably the most famous being sylvias mother but ...whenever they turned up to play livce they would be shit faced on something or other ...lsd dope coke smack booze ...and sometimes all of them at once.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0cbrprQbo&feature=related