Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

This Cannot Be Real....

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    No... I consider all life to be of equal moral worth. However, things are different when put in to practice. It opens a huge can of worms to start this kind of debate.

Okay, let's do it then. :D

Plants? Bacteria? Skin cells? Foetuses? Personally, I would say that we only have a moral obligation to that which can think, feel and is conscious. That's because I link morality with the infliction of suffering, and by definition, those things cannot suffer. Of course, I recognise that's slightly dangerous, because we only recently (in the grand scheme of things) discovered that animals can suffer, though I suppose the evidence was always there.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

I think when it comes to choosing between one life and another you can put a value on it. I believe that because as I said I would put some before my own.

Yep. Any action a person takes that has potential risks means that person is assigning an ordinal value to thier own life. Any action that puts others at risk assigns an ordinal value on other peoples lives. Hence your list of what you consider important. To say you cannot put value on life is ridiculous; it would mean people act completely irrationally when facing risk.
  • Options
    Okay, let's do it then. :D

Plants? Bacteria? Skin cells? Foetuses? Personally, I would say that we only have a moral obligation to that which can think, feel and is conscious. That's because I link morality with the infliction of suffering, and by definition, those things cannot suffer. Of course, I recognise that's slightly dangerous, because we only recently (in the grand scheme of things) discovered that animals can suffer, though I suppose the evidence was always there.
    Can we start a new thread?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It has nothing to do with the thread, which is about causing needless cruelty, not putting living creatures in to hierarchies.

I'm not sure how I've ended up aiming this at you actually - I'm pissed. I agree with some of what you say. I don't agree with you that eating animals is the same as chuckign them off a cliff however.

You have on the past stated that you think alllife is equal. I do not.
    Which is why I find it a little sad that some people seem so passionate about the loss of a little puppy in iraq but seem less bothered about the constent human sufferring there.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Can we start a new thread?

If you want. I'm about to go out though. But it's not as if there's much the debate on this thread in general, so I don't see the problem with carrying it on here.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'd save my friends before women I reckon *shrug*

Well maybe. I wouldn't knbow until put in that situation but the jist of iut waas that you can put one life before another.,
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    None, the puppy is already dead because the evil tosser already threw it over a cliff.

You wouldn't put the soldier before the pup no?

Have you throw any puppies off cliffs lately?

Of course not. I merely poitning out your hyporcisy (once again) in taking pleasure in the though of doing horrible things to somebody who's done another horrible thing. Your plagued by hypocracy.
    I can be patronising if you want me to though son but fortunately i don't have to be, linking me up to rapists by saying "in your experience" makes you look so immature i can't be patronising.

You are some sort of cunt arn't you. I'll keep bringing that up as long as you keep being a cunt. I've said some stupid thing on here, and I'm sure I will again, but nothing I'll ever post will come as close to idiotic as that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'd save my friends before women I reckon *shrug*

300px-Bors_and_Lionel.jpg

Bors chooses to save a maiden rather than his brother Lionel

Decisions decisions...
  • Options
    Some great debating here. The puppy did not deserve to die but the soldier chose to kill it in a sadistic way. He done it to impress not for any real value therfore it's sick and incriminating
  • Options
    The puppy is already dead because the evil tosser already threw it over a cliff.

You've answered my question. You htinkt eh life of a pup is worth more. I think that's wrong.

[QUOTE=MattLiverpool;2122186I've got a dog, i love him, to pieces. i've also got a bat next to my computer. If anyone hurt my dog, i'd crack it over their head, i wouldn't think twice about breaking their shins so they would never walk in their life again. That's not sarcasm either, my dog is a lovely little Yorkshire Terrier, he has feelings, he cries when he's in pain, he gets sad, he gets annoyed at me when i shout at him and he shows affection when he's happy. He's not "just a dog" so when i see another dog thrown off a cliff for no reason it's nearly as bad as someone throwing a human off a cliff, only my dog is totally innocent in the purest of forms.[/QUOTE]

I have one to, that 'I love pieces' but if some sort of sick choice had to be made between that of my dog and that of a stranger I know which I would choose. And with clear thought I wouldnb'twishing for the death of anybody who harmed hit either.

Yorkshire Terrier :lol:

You haven't pointed out any hypocrisy,

You'd take pleasure in deathg of somebody who took pleasure in the death of this pup. That's hypocracy right there.

I'm sorry, i didn't know disagreeing with you made me a cunt.

You can disagree with me all you life. Wouldn't life be mundane if we all tought the same, but keep acting like patronising prick and I will keep bring up your sick views on rape.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    feelim wrote: »
    Some great debating here. The puppy did not deserve to die but the soldier chose to kill it in a sadistic way. He done it to impress not for any real value therfore it's sick and incriminating

Nobody's defending him, but I don't really see that comments suggesting you'd take pleasure in his death are particulary well though out or helpful.
    Damn right ironic actaully.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm sorry, i didn't know disagreeing with you made me a cunt. Like i said, read your own posts first, oops! you've already gone back and edited them.
    Last edited by MattLiverpool : Today at 08:24 PM.

:chin:

Really all this bickering is a bit daft though isn't it?
  • Options
    Nobody's defending him, but I don't really see that comments suggesting you'd take pleasure in his death are particulary well though out or helpful.

I guess people can get quite emotive.

I'm very logical about this kind of thing with one exception, which was one guy who my ex was cheating on me with. I really would love to lop his balls off with a machete, or something.

But that's why we have an impartial judiciary system :). Except in my case there is no justice, no crime, but there is a victim (me :p).
  • Options
    No... I consider all life to be of equal moral worth. However, things are different when put in to practice. It opens a huge can of worms to start this kind of debate.

In that case it's a useless theory isn't it? If you say in theory all lives are equal, but in real life you do something different, it's not very credible is it.
  • Options

I agree with that. You also have to understand people vent their anger in different ways and most likely not one person that said he should die would be able watch or justify it when it came to the crunch
  • Options
    I have strong feelings about my dog, you watch what i'd do if someone tried to hurt him for a laugh!

I never claimed to be right either, so no hypocrisy there before the annoying twerp comes along on his choo choo train.

Underatndable if it's your own dog, if my dog was hurt by anyone my actions wouldn't be accounted for but this is a dog at the other side of the world that has no connection with you whatsoever. Meaning the same buttons aren't pressed when it doesn't actually belong to you
  • Options
    Matt what if a dog (possibly your dog) was mauling a young child and the only way to stop it was to harm the dog. What's your opinion on that?
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Matt what if a dog (possibly your dog) was mauling a young child and the only way to stop it was to harm the dog. What's your opinion on that?

I guess ANYONE with a natural instinct would kill the dog before it mauled the kid, all only natural, but there is some sick cunts out there
  • Options
    In that case it's a useless theory isn't it? If you say in theory all lives are equal, but in real life you do something different, it's not very credible is it.

You can hold the moral belief that all people are entitled to the same pursuit of interest, yet when we get to the real world, sometimes rights clash, sometimes things bugger up. For example, issues surrounding individual rights versus cultural rights. Nothing is straight forward. We have debates surrounding the practice of Islam and women, we have debates which question the cultural relativity of FGM, the case of Ashley X, we question abortion, we question and euthanasia... The list is huge.

Any moral view, from whatever spectrum is hard to put in to practice once whittled down to the core value. It does not discredit the view itself that society does not have an impact on how that idea is put in place, it is just that in the real world, there are several other factors to consider.

Which is something that can be irritating with studying philosophy, it is just people throwing ideas out and suggesting how they do/could work. It does not mean that they can be put in to practice and work perfectly, but there is still potential to live by one's own morals as best one can.

If we're talking about the sanctity of life of all sentient beings as being an end in itself and a universal good, it is impossible to live without hurting another creature. We can live as best we can, we can avoid killing for pleasure, we can boycott L'oreal, buy ethically traded goods, lobby governments.... But no human being is perfect.
  • Options
    Perhaps he was protecting the dog.

Apparently all soldiers are moral super heroes, with the moral understanding of Hobbes, the philosophical underpinning of Locke and the strength of character of Martin Luther King.

Jesus.

What else do you expect of people who kill for cash?

They. Kill. Human. Beings. For. Money.
  • Options
    Sorry but to me, the soliders actions weren't any more wrong than eating meat.

The solider threw the puppy over the cliff because he got some sort of pleasure out of it, be that in the form of having a laugh, thinking he looks big, whatever. People who eat meat do so because they get pleasure out of it.

You can't argue it is necessary in this day and age to eat meat, because it isn't. If it were, I would have been dead about 13 years ago. The reason people do eat it is because they want to, they enjoy it, and they don't really think about the reality of what they are doing. The minute an animal is shown being slaughtered on TV there will be a barrage of complaints about how "we don't need to see that and we don't need to be reminded where meat comes from". Well I think people DO need to be reminded, because if you personally couldn't go out and kill an animal, prepare it, cook it and eat it then obviously you feel there is something wrong with doing so. If you can, then fair enough, I have a lot more respect for people who do that rather than just buy it all in a nice packet from the supermarket then get the arse the minute they show a chicken having its neck broken on TV.

As for the issue of human versus animal life, you don't have to give them both equal moral weight to think there is something wrong with throwing puppies over cliffs or eating meat. Of COURSE I value human life above animal life, of course I would eat meat in a life or death situation. Some people might eat human flesh in a life or death situation, doesn't mean they don't value human life or think human life has moral significance.

I wasn't going to post on this thread 'cos I didn't want to derail it, but I actually found people's reactions to the video quite shocking. I don't understand why anyone would think it is ridiculous to compare this guy's actions with eating meat, apart from the fact that 1. puppies are cute and not something we in the West usually consider should be eaten, and 2. because the closest most people have come to seeing their dinner being slaughtered is something they cringingly turned away from on the TV.

The fact that soliders are out in countries seeing and doing what most of us would consider some truely atrocious things and yet people are getting more upset about a puppy also really astounds me.
  • Options
    It's part of human nature to eat meat, it always has been. Yes we can survive without it but it's part of who we are. I have respect for vegetarians who choose not to eat meat but comparing animal cruelty to eating meat is fruitless.

It's all about what can be considered normal or expected behaviour vs. cruel behaviour. Killing an animal for pleasure is cruel. Killing an animal to eat is just the way things are. Your logic about people eating it exclusively because they enjoy it is wrong because you've jumped to conclusions without considering the wider story. It's not some random behavioural defect that causes unneccessary suffering, people eat meat because it's their instinct to do so.

I really don't like having to justify me eating meat though. It makes me feel sad that people would look at me eating a burger or whatever and rather than look at me as a person would see me as a horrid animal abuser. The difference with this soldier is he is directly abusing this animal for his own enjoyment. Can't you see the distinction?
  • Options
    But as a meat eater I don't take some sadistic pleasure in thinking that an animal suffered in the process. I get pleasure from meat because it tastes nice and I get the protein I require. I don't chew on a nice buttery medium rare steak and think, "Hmm, this would have been so much better had the cow been thrown off a cliff by a group of marines." While an animal has to die (and yes, I've seen/helped out in the slaughtering/gutting/plucking process on my uncle's farm in Italy) I want it to die as quickly and painlessly as possible. Sorry to say, but the only pleasure I get in suffering is behind closed doors with a hefty amount of pvc and a paddle brush.

The soldiers actions no more wrong than eating meat? Yeah, that's not going to alienate anyone.
  • Options
    It's part of human nature to eat meat, it always has been. Yes we can survive without it but it's part of who we are. I have respect for vegetarians who choose not to eat meat but comparing animal cruelty to eating meat is fruitless.

It's all about what can be considered normal or expected behaviour vs. cruel behaviour. Killing an animal for pleasure is cruel. Killing an animal to eat is just the way things are. Your logic about people eating it exclusively because they enjoy it is wrong because you've jumped to conclusions without considering the wider story. It's not some random behavioural defect that causes unneccessary suffering, people eat meat because it's their instinct to do so.

I really don't like having to justify me eating meat though. It makes me feel sad that people would look at me eating a burger or whatever and rather than look at me as a person would see me as a horrid animal abuser. The difference with this soldier is he is directly abusing this animal for his own enjoyment. Can't you see the distinction?

I can see where you're coming from in the sense that it is part of our understanding of animals in our culture that we eat them. We do seem to have an inbuilt "double-think" when thinking about animals - we tell children not to hurt them, that they must always treat them kindly, we take them to zoos and encourage them to marvel at the wonder and beauty of animals, then we tell them to eat up their lamb chops and don't ask why. When I look at someone eating meat, I don't think - "urgh, you disgusting animal abuser". My family all eat meat, my friends do. It is something more than that.

To me, an animal is something that just should not be eaten in normal circumstances. I have a sense of animals as fellow creatures, subject to the same contingencies and mortality as I am. There is a sense animals have their own lives, as Matt was saying - he sees that his dog can be sad or happy, excited, lonely...I can't then turn a blind eye to that and eat one. Funnily enough, I don't even like animals. I've never had a pet, would never want one, and generally try to avoid them at all costs. But I still feel there is something more to them than just things that are there for me to eat. I can't view them in the same way I would a carrot.

And it doesn't matter that it is the way things are, or that it is socially acceptable, it doesn't make it any more right. It isn't like we are all going out hunting for our food as is perhaps the more "natural" way to do things. We in the West consume disgustingly vast quantites of meat while having little appreciation of where it comes from, and that is one of the things I have the biggest problem with. You have said it is natural to eat meat, it is an instinct, but the whole enterprise of meat-eating that we have is nothing even remotely resembling natural. I can go and pick a tomato off a plant in my garden, how many people could actually go and kill a rabbit?

If the solider had gone down to the bottom of the cliff, scooped up the remains of the puppy, skinned it and eaten it, would that somehow make it more acceptable? Do we know for sure that there aren't one or two individuals who work in slaughterhouses killing animals for our meat don't get some sick pleasure or have a laugh about what they are doing?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Sorry to say, but the only pleasure I get in suffering is behind closed doors with a hefty amount of pvc and a paddle brush.

:lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    But as a meat eater I don't take some sadistic pleasure in thinking that an animal suffered in the process. I get pleasure from meat because it tastes nice and I get the protein I require. I don't chew on a nice buttery medium rare steak and think, "Hmm, this would have been so much better had the cow been thrown off a cliff by a group of marines." While an animal has to die (and yes, I've seen/helped out in the slaughtering/gutting/plucking process on my uncle's farm in Italy) I want it to die as quickly and painlessly as possible. Sorry to say, but the only pleasure I get in suffering is behind closed doors with a hefty amount of pvc and a paddle brush.

The soldiers actions no more wrong than eating meat? Yeah, that's not going to alienate anyone.

Did the puppy suffer any more being thrown off the cliff than it would have done had it been subject to the conventional methods of slaughter used in the UK today? For the animal, the end result is the same. If you knew that the person who had slaughtered your dinner really enjoyed their job, would you not eat the meat? Just curious.

I can accept that most people see a big difference between the two, but I genuinely don't get what the difference is. I'm not trying to be moralistic or superior but when I read the posts I honestly just don't get it.
  • Options
    I think it's fucking sick to hurl a dog over a cliff and I care immensely about the suffering of the Iraqi people (among millions of others). The two concerns aren't mutually exclusive. Caring about dogs doesn't preclude caring about humans. Asking people to choose in a totally hypothetical scenario that they couldn't accurately imagine in their wildest dreams is valid, but it's not that helpful because like I said... it's unimaginable. Also unimaginably hard. We have a family dog, I have grown up with her and I really do love her like I love my family. Of course, if she posed danger to a child I'd stop her through whatever methods. But she never has and I can say with confidence she never will. The reason she is so beloved by our family is her wonderful nature, surely - very different to yet - a lot more wonderful than the nature of this man in question. If she attacked him then her nature would've changed, I would be spurred into action against her and feel justified. If the two of them were standing against a wall and I had the gun and the choice... well, when would that fucked up scenario occur?

The problem with the "it's just a dog" theory is that it truly takes a special kind of sick fuck to torture animals. What else he might be getting up to when not smiling for candid camera is a very valid question that can't be ignored regardless of your sensibilities. To draw a vague parallel, the US soldiers who tortured, humiliated and degraded human beings in Abu Ghraib made it clear they thought of those prisoners as dogs, posing for photographs with collared human beings on leads. Obviously not every soldier thinks like that - not even close - but if parallels can be drawn then I think it's well worth getting fired up about. Civilians in countries with US/UK army presence are so very, very often treated worse than those soldiers would treat a dog... so the fact that the representatives of our countries over there could maliciously lob a dog off a cliff speaks volumes to me about the way they may be treating the humans. Despicable acts of violence (against human or animal) are rarely isolated and NEVER justifiable. Never. They can be downplayed as much as anybody wants through comparisons and attempts to make people look like irrational idiots but the point still stands that anybody who can do that is capable of evil and should not be an ambassador for our country in places where human rights are non-existent or at best never upheld. Should not be involved with any vulnerable living creature.

I don't think comparisons to meat-eating are valid, speaking as someone who has been a vegetarian for many years now. There are issues relating to meat-eating but they are not blanket issues and they are not really relative to this behaviour in my opinion.

I didn't watch the video, I have no desire to see it. The world's ugly enough without seeing that on a Sunday morning...
  • Options
    Did the puppy suffer any more being thrown off the cliff than it would have done had it been subject to the conventional methods of slaughter used in the UK today?

I don't know. I'd imagine it wouldn't have been fully conscious at the time of death in a slaughterhouse had it been stunned.
    If you knew that the person who had slaughtered your dinner really enjoyed their job, would you not eat the meat?

Depends on the pleasure they get out of it. If it's a sadistic, knee trembling, lip licking pleasure, then I'd think they have to get out more, but it wouldn't stop me from eating it as their pleasure is detached and unknown to mine. Plus, as long as the animal was slaughtered in the usual way, it doesn't matter what the person thought to be honest, although I think your assumptions are a bit far fetched, I'd imagine most people working in the industry are more concerned about mundane day-to-day things!
    I can accept that most people see a big difference between the two, but I genuinely don't get what the difference is.

Well, pleasure comes in different flavours. That's pretty much it.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    To me, an animal is something that just should not be eaten in normal circumstances. I have a sense of animals as fellow creatures, subject to the same contingencies and mortality as I am. There is a sense animals have their own lives, as Matt was saying - he sees that his dog can be sad or happy, excited, lonely...I can't then turn a blind eye to that and eat one. Funnily enough, I don't even like animals. I've never had a pet, would never want one, and generally try to avoid them at all costs. But I still feel there is something more to them than just things that are there for me to eat. I can't view them in the same way I would a carrot.

But that's life. Species eating other species.

And it doesn't matter that it is the way things are, or that it is socially acceptable, it doesn't make it any more right.

It's certainly not morally wrong to eat meat. Some farming practices are on dodgy ground but me eating a few chops that were once part of a happy lamb is not morally wrong.
    Maybe It isn't like we are all going out hunting for our food as is perhaps the more "natural" way to do things.

It's not as though we're all goign out foraging for berries and digging up tubers either is it. Not all farming practices are bad.
    And it's far from 'natural' to be a vegan or vegetarian that suppliment your diet with things so that you can avoid meat.

We in the West consume disgustingly vast quantites of meat while having little appreciation of where it comes from, and that is one of the things I have the biggest problem with. You have said it is natural to eat meat, it is an instinct, but the whole enterprise of meat-eating that we have is nothing even remotely resembling natural. I can go and pick a tomato off a plant in my garden, how many people could actually go and kill a rabbit?

I agree that the packaged meat you get in supermarket make sit very easy for people to forget where it came from which is sad, and that if they doi have a problem with the source then maybe they shoudl think twice about eating it.

I for one have no problems in killing an animal for food, I used to go shooting a lot, and picking a bird out of the sky would be as easy for me as pickign a tomato out my garden.

Do we know for sure that there aren't one or two individuals who work in slaughterhouses killing animals for our meat don't get some sick pleasure or have a laugh about what they are doing?

That doesn't mean that the person who then goes on to eat those animals is as 'wrong' as them doies it?

I really fail to see how people can't grasp the difference. The end result is the same lfor the animal granted, but there is a clear difference in morals between somebody doing it for the sake of pain and suffering and somebody doing it for food.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Depends on the pleasure they get out of it. If it's a sadistic, knee trembling, lip licking pleasure, then I'd think they have to get out more, but it wouldn't stop me from eating it as their pleasure is detached and unknown to mine. Plus, as long as the animal was slaughtered in the usual way, it doesn't matter what the person thought to be honest, although I think your assumptions are a bit far fetched, I'd imagine most people working in the industry are more concerned about mundane day-to-day things!

Well, pleasure comes in different flavours. That's pretty much it.

It just seems like people don't care about the potential suffering of an animal or someone getting pleasure out of killing an animal as long as it goes on in the "detached and unknown" way in which you describe. As long as I don't know about it, it doesn't really matter if the animal suffered, or someone thought it was funny watching a chicken's throat get slit in the slaughterhouse, or whatever.

I guess I find it hard to understand 'cos in a way I think if it was the case that someone were throwing people over cliffs, or killing people quickly and then eating them, I would think both were equally hard to understanding and I couldn't draw much distinction between which was worse, but people do with animals, even people that seem to value their pets in the same way they value members of their own family. I guess it is this kind of dualistic thinking about animals that I am trying to get to the bottom of.

But yeah I also think the point someone made earlier about the fact that these people are getting paid to kill is very significant.