Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Repossessions rise by 21%

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why would house prices dropping lead to people not being able to afford their mortgage payments??:confused:

I meant it the other way round:

"a) people can no longer afford their mortgage repayments
    b) houses get repossessed
    c) increase in supply of houses causes a fall in prices"

People cant afford their repayments because they got mortgages that they couldn't really afford, and as a recession starts to take hold and income dries up they'll have to sell for less than what the house is worth or get repossessed. All downward pressures on house prices. This just compounds the problem as then others want to get out of the BTL market since it looks like their investment is crashing. Of course if you've got the money so that you can ride it out then brilliant but for most people this isn't the case.
  • Options
    Well my mortgage is fixed til 2011 so it's not really a problem, as I'm sure is the case for many of others

However, the situation you've described will I'm sure ring true for many

The point is though, that if people got a mortgage they can afford, and have a little breathing space, then dropping prices will mean nothing as long as they are happy to stay in their present location until the equity rises again
  • Options
    Well my mortgage is fixed til 2011 so it's not really a problem, as I'm sure is the case for many of others

However, the situation you've described will I'm sure ring true for many

The point is though, that if people got a mortgage they can afford, and have a little breathing space, then dropping prices will mean nothing as long as they are happy to stay in their present location until the equity rises again

Yea like I said somewhere - the people who will suffer are either:

first time buyers who in desperation to get on the housing ladder self assessed their income in order to get a bigger mortgage which they can't afford

the btl market who already had a house, then thought that things can only get better so lets use our savings as a deposit and get a mortgage on this house for 5 years and rent it out and then sell it, only prices have dropped now and there is still a big mortgage to pay.
  • Options
    Aspartame wrote: »
    What about any problems caused by a lower loan to value?
    Would remortgaging to a cheaper fixed/discounted rate be an option if the value of the house was less than the loan required?

Being bumped on to a standard variable mortgage could cause problems.

A lot of the time, if you stay with the same lender it won't be an issue

And lenders are a lot more easy going with remortgages than new ones
  • Options
    You aren't being told how bad things really are, although the information is out there if you go and look for it.

Basically, the banking systems of the US and the UK..and probably a lot of the continent are insolvent. That's right, the banks collectively are broke.

The banks have used fractional reserve, basle 2 banking to create a huge amount of money that has been sitting safely in housing stock and various forms of deriviatives ..how much money, I don't hear you ask?

Well somewhere between $400 and $700 TRILLION. That is, the banking system owes hundreds of trillions of whatever the local currency is to all kinds of people and institutions that it cannot possibly ever repay. That is, pensions, local councils, insurers, businesses, bank depositors, savers, bond holders, various states are all owed far more money than there actually is in existence, or in fact, more wealth than the entire globe produces in a year..

At this point there are two options -

1) The banking system fails and all the banks collapse, one after another.

2) The government prints up the money so it's banking friends can repay (technically) all the people they owe. This will cause hyperinflation pretty much everywhere in the western hemisphere.

So far, the governments have been picking option 2. It really doesn't matter which one is picked, because it's a financial collapse either way. In one, however, fat bankers get punished with everyone else, in the other, fat bankers get away with it. Guess which one we are going to get?

What does this mean?

Well, imagine that no one got paid at the end of the month and take it from there. or imagine that everyoen got paid £10,000 extra all at once. It's going to be chaos, and the end of 2008 and the start of 2009 will see the actual effects of what is likely to become the second great depression come through -

Mass homelessness, mass unemployment, currency devaluation, bankruptcy for your friends and families, maybe even you, prices of basics like bread soar to new, ever increasingly unaffordable heights, state failures, business closures, pension fund failures, "privatised" utilities will stop operating and so on and so forth. Like I said, imagine no one gets paid at the end of the month and go from there.

Anyhoo - do not take my word for all this, check around on the web, there is plenty of info on this knocking around and good luck in the next few years.
  • Options
    Shimmer wrote: »
    The government prints up the money so it's banking friends can repay (technically) all the people they owe. This will cause hyperinflation pretty much everywhere in the western hemisphere.
    What a ridicilous exaggeration. If you want to see real hyperinflation, take a look at Zimbabwe. This week, the government-run National Incomes and Prices Commission raised mobile phone charges by around 1700%.* And people complain we pay too much for our calls! To make a local call there will now cost Zim$300,000. That's a 600% rise from last week. And how much is that worth? No more than a few pence in the UK.

For more basic goods, take a look at source 2 below. Last summer, Harare's electrical shops were selling widescreen TVs for £20** whilst the prices of bread, milk and all the other basics escalated out of control. When people went out shopping, they were having to do their shop very quickly, because prices went up practically every hour. People were having to carry spades full of banknotes in order to buy a loaf of bread, for fuck's sake! And whilst that source may be from last summer, things sure as hell don't seem to be getting better.

Inflation in Zimbabwe has been hovering around the 20,000% mark for months. In the UK, it's been between 2% and 5%, depending on which indicator you believe. Hyperinflation in the UK? Don't make me laugh.

* Source - Zimbabwe's inflation woes continue.
    ** Source - Mugabe's price cuts bring cheap TVs today, crisis tomorrow.
  • Options
    It's in the post, as they say.

I said it would cause hyperinflation, it's not happened yet, but many people know it is coming - see hikes in oil, gold, food staples.

You will see either a total banking collapse or hyperinflation in the UK and US within the next two years. The "it can't happen here" mindset you display is one of the prime reasons why it is going to occur.
  • Options
    You will see either a total banking collapse or hyperinflation in the UK and US within the next two years. The "it can't happen here" mindset you display is one of the prime reasons why it is going to occur.
    You really think that, within around three years, we're going to have interest rates of 20,000% in the UK and USA?
  • Options
    No.

I think we will have low, low interest rates and high, high inflation.

Hypernflation -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

"inflation exceeding 50% a month."

It's an absolute certainty, unless the banking system collapses.
  • Options
    I may buy me some gold :chin:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I may buy me some gold :chin:

Sure. Hide it well though, because in massively inflationary environments their is usually a ban on the general public owning any. Might come in handy once everything has calmed down though.

Better to put some long lasting food by and store stuff like candles/shampoo etc and booze/fags for barter if it ever gets that bad.
  • Options
    Better to put some long lasting food by and store stuff like candles/shampoo etc and booze/fags for barter if it ever gets that bad.
    The way you talk, spectators reading this could be half-forgiven for thinking that nuclear war was imminent.
  • Options
    Sure. Hide it well though, because in massively inflationary environments their is usually a ban on the general public owning any. Might come in handy once everything has calmed down though.

Better to buy some shares in 'conspiracy-is-us' what with this, 9/11 and Diana they're rocketing up at the moment
  • Options
    Better to buy some shares in 'conspiracy-is-us' what with this, 9/11 and Diana they're rocketing up at the moment

Nowt wrong with conspiracy theories, they've kept me entertained for years. The latest one I've found is that John McCain is a real life Manchurian Candidate http://killbuckcreekpolitics.wordpress.com/2008/01/16/john-mccain-the-manchurian-candidate/

:lol:
  • Options
    Up to you whether you believe me or not, do your own checking and you will see I am right.

Gold was confiscated during the great depression in the 30's, apart from wedding rings and som e other small jewelry. It's a fairly standard move from the people who like to try control the economy.

The chance of a nuclear war is, as ever, almost nil. The whole point of war being to kill the other sides leaders, which nukes can do in half an hour or so. Leaders talk a good fight, but dying in wars is for those stupid people called soldiers and other types of peasants, not those who like to call themselves leaders.

9/11 was an attack on the banking interests of the US by whoever, Diana died in a drink drive smash.

This banking crisis is the most serious in human history.

http://elainemeinelsupkis.typepad.com/money_matters/

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=axU6WEh13K48&refer=home
  • Options
    calm down shimmer we are heading for deflation not hyperinflation, look at the reduced soma operations from the fed, noone is printing any money and even the suggestion is causing the tnx to spike, if we do get a taxpayer bailout the ramp in borrowing will crush the private sector......either way it's deflation. you need net debt origination to have inflation and that's just not happening because the banks are out of reserves. buy gold if you like it won't do you much good, cash is king. albeit not £ because uk plc is fubared, i would buy yen, chf or kroner.
  • Options
    Fractional reserve banking is based on promising the same money to lots and lots of people.

Unlike gold backed or other warehousing systems, a fiat money system can provide the pounds to everyone when they are asked for. This is inflationary, even though the banks balance sheets suffer.

An example -

I promise £1 to 95 people because as soon as one of them takes it off me, he spends it with someone else who immediately returns it to my bank so the £1 never leaves me for very long.

One day, all 95 people arrive and want "their" pound. At this point I either -

1) Go bankrupt
    2) Make 94 new pounds to hand out.

If I do the second one, we have hyperinflation, because while people might be foolable about the amount of actual money in the system (£1 is on my books as £95, a fiction) reality isn't - the value of money is set by how many pounds there actually are, not how many people think there are.

Looking at my books, it seems that deflation has occured, but that's because I don't record what I do not have.

Anyway, you have been warned, which was my only purpose in posting. This is a real crisis, not solvable and will lead to massive amounts of chaos for all.

Take care.
  • Options
    A lot of the time, if you stay with the same lender it won't be an issue

Depends on your lender.

Most decent lenders won't remortgage above the value of the property.
    And lenders are a lot more easy going with remortgages than new ones

No, they're really not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Depends on your lender.

Most decent lenders won't remortgage above the value of the property.

No, they're really not.

They are?

You really are trying to get a rise out of me aren't you? :rolleyes: