Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Web Development

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I was browsing the internet and I came across a discussion about Microsoft FrontPage 2003 and Microsoft are getting rid of it and renaming it and adding some features is what they say, and some of the comments were like,
“good never liked the thing!”
“hated it”
ect…

I’m just wondering how come so many people don’t like FrontPage?
they mainly chose Dream weaver, which everyone I hear about does, even my school has it and I’m going to have to learn about the product due to a Subject which involves Web development.

Also i came across this, Microsoft Expressions
So overall what’s the best web development software you use? And why?

Comments

• Options
    Front page will add an huge number of useless lines of code which will make your website much heavier that when done with Dreamweaver... imo for best web development result there is nothing like coding everything by hand... at least you now what you put in and there is nothing added automatically... also dreamweaver is good to check that your script is cross-browser compatible etc...
  • Options
    photoshop > image ready > dreamweaver :yes:

some people will insist on writing it all in notepad or some basic html editor but i don't see the point its a waste of time most of the time .. as long as you have a good knowledge of html (you'll still have to do a fair bit of fucking around with the code in dreamweaver a lot of the time) its easy enough

i prefer dreamweaver over frontpage, its a bit more complicated at the start but its worth it
  • Options
    Microsoft are getting rid of it and renaming it and adding some features

make your sodding mind up.
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    its a bit more complicated at the start but its worth it

Thats the thing i have dreamweaver and tryed to play with it but im completely lost!

So im looking around on Amazon for books on the basics for Dreamweaver
    click
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    photoshop > image ready > dreamweaver :yes:

some people will insist on writing it all in notepad or some basic html editor but i don't see the point its a waste of time most of the time .. as long as you have a good knowledge of html (you'll still have to do a fair bit of fucking around with the code in dreamweaver a lot of the time) its easy enough

i prefer dreamweaver over frontpage, its a bit more complicated at the start but its worth it

Imo scripting everything by hand go much faster than using a software...

for me scripting = development and software = design...

lots of high level development companies will ask for you to be ale to hand script instead of just using software...
  • Options
    www.google.com

get a few tuts, like everything it'll confuse you for a bit and probably hurt your head for a while then it'll click on and its all good :)
  • Options
    Early versions of front page created completely non-standard code and bloated it out heavily, and nothing much has really changed since.

Much better code comes from writing stuff in notepad after learning properly. When you're writing complex pages or you have to deliver pages to SLAs then a few kb saved here and there might make the difference.
  • Options
    Oh, I like to use Visual Studio (Interdev, really).
  • Options
    At the moment i have a wide range of programs to mess around with, ive downloaded "Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition" Which seams good not had much time to mess with it and Adobe GoLive CS2 Looks really good.

Another tiny problem is, i dont know much html code, but i want to go into networking so that i think is not needed but im open to learn it
  • Options
    hmm i remember trying golive, its very good for css if i remember correctly :thumb: