Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking a pregnancy test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i might sound really thick here. And i don't need the 'if you're uneducated on sex, you shouldn't be having it' malarky, but...

There is a strong chance that i am pregnant. I had sex last Saturday, and was due on my period monday. I haven't come on yet. What is the earliest you can take a pregnancy test and expect it to be accurate?

I've searched and it says you can take it about two-three days after your period is due, but is this still the case if you had sex so soon before your period?

Thanks people.

Comments

• Options
    If you were due on Monday, taking a test now will show whether you are pregnant or not, as long as you have a regular cycle.

Sex been so close to the start of your period wont affect the result, but would normally mean that the chance of you getting pregnant is less.

Good Luck
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Use your first wee in the morning as that has the most concentrated amounts of pregnany hormone in it
    :yes: although on most packs it tells you you can do it anytime.
    do it now. really... the only reason not to do it now is the possibility of getting a false negative, but thats unlikely from what you've said. one thing i've learned is you don't get false positives, so if you get the two blue lines you are pregnant.
    would this be a good thing then or not?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    :yes: although on most packs it tells you you can do it anytime.
    do it now. really... the only reason not to do it now is the possibility of getting a false negative, but thats unlikely from what you've said. one thing i've learned is you don't get false positives, so if you get the two blue lines you are pregnant.
    would this be a good thing then or not?

Thanks for all the replies.

My periods have been really erratic, but I'm pretty sure they have evened themselves out now. I have bought a pregnancy test, so i shall do it as soon as i pluck up the courage!

I'm hoping for a negative result.
  • Options
    If your ovulation is anywhere near regular, worrying about being pregnant is more likely to be causing a delayed period than getting pregnant so close to your due date. Take the test now so that you know what you're dealing with rather than worrying about everything, the worst case scenario...
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    let us know how you get on hun :)
  • Options
    i always find sex delays my period a few days anyway but maybe thats just me
    good luck though hope all is ok xx
  • Options
    Thanks people.

Did the test this morning and it was negative :yippe:

I can stop stressin now!!!!
  • Options
    Well done for facing your demons and congrats on the result you wanted.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Well done for facing your demons and congrats on the result you wanted.

Thank you!!!
  • Options
    The chances are you wouldnt be pregnant that close to your period being due, and if you were, then the time lapsed wouldnt be enough to be accurate on a pregnancy test anyway, because it needs to be a couple of weeks after ovulation and conception - by the time most peoples period is due, if they have a regular cycle, then a pregnancy test would show up accurately. If you still havent come on in a couple of weeks, test again
  • Options
  • Options
    Or wee on a hamster and see if it turns blue.
  • Options
    The chances are you wouldnt be pregnant that close to your period being due, and if you were, then the time lapsed wouldnt be enough to be accurate on a pregnancy test anyway, because it needs to be a couple of weeks after ovulation and conception - by the time most peoples period is due, if they have a regular cycle, then a pregnancy test would show up accurately. If you still havent come on in a couple of weeks, test again

Thanks. It's weird cos like i said my periods had been erratic. I've still not come on, and i think i was due on Monday. Fingers crossed i shall come on soon.
  • Options
    i was under the impression it took a couple of weeks at least for enough pregnancy hormones to build up to be detected by a test. like Suzy said, if you haven't come on in a couple of weeks, test again.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well i still haven't come on. So now I'm worried again. The celebration was short lived. :(
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Well i still haven't come on. So now I'm worried again. The celebration was short lived. :(

well if your stressing over it your probably causing your period to be late.
    if your so worried take another test.
  • Options
    I'd suggest one of those 99p test sticks, you have to collect your urine in a cup to stick it in, but it works straight away and you know there's enough on it for it to be accurate.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'd suggest one of those 99p test sticks, you have to collect your urine in a cup to stick it in, but it works straight away and you know there's enough on it for it to be accurate.

I'm goin into town today so i shall pick up a few. I'll do one again today and one again after another 4-5 days if i stll haven't come on
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »

:yes: Well, it still takes the recommended few minutes, like any other pregnancy test, but theye just as effective as the £10 tests, just without the fancy plastic casing around the stick!
    You can get them in poundland, savers, wilkinsons etc
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    The worring aspect can delay your period - it has done for me, even up to a week going on two weeks late. So try to relax ( I know it's hard) and see if it comes in the next few days.