Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Money - do people really earn silly amounts after uni?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "Paralegal" is one of those lovely terms that means everything and nothing at the same time. I was a "paralegal" when I worked as a remortgage conveyancer- my wage was a smudge over 11 grand a year. I was also a "paralegal" when I was doing pretty complex conveyancing and earning a good deal more. I wasn't a "paralegal" when I was working as a criminal solicitor's clerk and I'm not a "paralegal" now.

You should be able to find a paralegal job fairly easily, but you should expect to be at the bottom doing the menial stuff. But if you're not looking to go down the training contract route just yet then that's what you'll have to do.

With a bit of experience you should be able to find a training contract. You're unlikely to find a training contract that pays your LPC fees as they only tend to be offered by the big corporate firms, but that's not the same thing. The Crown Prosecution Service offer training contracts to anyone with a 2.2 or above, once you have your LPC, and high street firms are often even less strict if you have the experience to make you employable.

You could go and work for my old firm in Newcastle- they're advertising for a "junior trainee paralegal" at the minute. I think that translates as "knucklehead to make the coffee and get paid a pittance for it", but I could be wrong.

ETA: When we were students we lived on shopping of £25 a week and a £3 bottle of wine or a £15 (in total) meal out was extravagant. And now we don't.
  • Options
    You'll have to bite the bullet to get what you want. Rejection letters are somewhat inevitable in the course of getting the job you actually want, or even a stepping stone to the job you want.

This is partly what it's about though. Of those few people who are earning six figures and upwards, my bet is that the thought that they would get turned down for a position never even entered their heads, or, if it did, it was quickly squished by a desire to get to where they want to be. Call it confidence, arrogance, balls, whatever, they have it and that's (partly) how they get where they get to.

Also the lifestyle at uni is different. You (can) have a reasonable amount of disposable income as a student, but that's generally because you're not investing anything into the fineries of life. You tend to "get by".
  • Options
    I don't think people really earn such massive amounts so soon. There seems to be a lot of one-upmanship in education today, and if someone is going to brag that they went to uni then they aren't going to follow it up with "ah yes, and I earn £8,000 as a result".
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I'm not good with rejection and well, for some reason, I don't think people would even give me a job because well, I'm just a girl with a 2:2 from a shit uni :|

its true that more often than not rejection / not hearing anything when you are trying so hard to find work does make you feel defeated and low self esteem just contributes to it further. the knack is not to let it get to you or get you down. its easy to not try because your scared of being rejected but the only way your going to win in this world is to take the rejection head on and learn from it. learn how could you have improved, etc. you'll get a job in the end provided you keep on trying for one. just remember that everyone is in the same boat after uni. :)
  • Options
    All the statistics you hear are distorted because the "average" grad salary includes grads from all 120 unis, at the bottom end people have low grades and often aren't hugely employable and do stuff you didn't need a degree for.

But the highest paid people I know didn't work for companies after graduating, they set up their own and are now millionaires. But obviously for every millionaire before 25, there's 100 companies doing poorly...

Also remember "starting salaries" tend to rise quickly - eg I started on £36k, went to £60k after 2yrs, £80k after 4yrs.

Money varies hugely depending on what job/sector you do - I have mates from uni as intelligent as me still earning under £25k cos they went for media, PR etc.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Rubbish. My mum used to do 66 hours per week. In that week, she'd have one day off (it was 2 jobs) and would basically, go to work in the evening, come home & sleep and then go back out to work again. You tell me that isn't bad?
    I do 68 hours a week, it's manageable. Work hard play hard - have as active a social life as most my friends working much less hours.

Monday to Friday, wake up 7am, work 7.30am till 9pm, have 4hrs/eve free time, 6 hours sleep.
    Saturday and Sunday, completely free. 9 hours sleep and 15 hours a day free.

Not ideal of course but fine to do for a bit when starting out. When I have a family would want more like 40-50 hour week.
  • Options
    *yawn*

can we have a filter so that investment bankers aren't allowed to join? Like when you have to put letters/numbers into a box to confirm you are human.
  • Options
    *yawn*

can we have a filter so that investment bankers aren't allowed to join? Like when you have to put letters/numbers into a box to confirm you are human.
    Great comeback. 70 hour weeks are entirely manageable for many people.
  • Options
    I know that when I qualify and leave uni I am never going to get paid a "silly amount". I'll start off on £20k and I doubt it will go up, unless I become a sister, ward manager which even then it's only up to about £30k.
  • Options
    Need2Vent wrote: »

Only if you don't want a life of some sort.
    I know that when I qualify and leave uni I am never going to get paid a "silly amount". I'll start off on £20k and I doubt it will go up, unless I become a sister, ward manager which even then it's only up to about £30k.

From what I've read on various websites, this is pretty much the same for me.
  • Options
    Look, I have as active a social life as everyone I know. I go to the pub, go to bars, go to clubs, go to restaurants, play football, watch TV, play computer games, surf the web, etc etc, whilst working 70 hours a week. In fact I go out more often than a lot of people I know who work 40 hour weeks.
  • Options
    Not everyone is like you. And neither are their working hours.
  • Options
    Not everyone is like you. And neither are their working hours.
    True, but you're then wrong to just assume as you did everyone on 70 hour weeks doesn't have a life:
    Need2Vent wrote:
    70 hour weeks are entirely manageable for many people.
    melian wrote:
  • Options
    This website is ment to be about helping people/ general chat not bragging
  • Options
    The cow on the meadow goes moo.
    The cow on the meadow goes moo.
    Then the farmer comes along, and bashes him on the head!
    And that's how we all get hamburgers!
    Noooooooooooooooow CHICKEEEEEENS!

Anyways, how's your court case going?
  • Options

You want to cut down to 50 hours a week when you have a family?

So you dont want to cut down to like 38/40 ish? You know, so you can spend some more time with them all?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    You want to cut down to 50 hours a week when you have a family?

So you dont want to cut down to like 38/40 ish? You know, so you can spend some more time with them all?
    Sure, the less the better, don't know of any jobs in finance where people actually work those sort of hours and get enough money to support a family well (which for 3 kids is at least £100k/yr if you want to send them to the best schools etc).
  • Options
    This website is ment to be about helping people/ general chat not bragging

I don't think he / she was bragging, it did answer the original question really. I wondered if it was real or just a myth. Still, I don't understand how people get massive bonuses bigger than MDs.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think he / she was bragging, it did answer the original question really. I wondered if it was real or just a myth. Still, I don't understand how people get massive bonuses bigger than MDs.

Depends how much money they have made in their dealings. Simple.

If they've done well, they're rewarded. MDs of companies may not be in a position to pay themselves large salaries or bonuses etc.

... and no, Need2Vent wasn't bragging. Simply giving some figures to show that it is possible, hence answering the question. I'm not sure why people are being so hostile. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sure, the less the better, don't know of any jobs in finance where people actually work those sort of hours and get enough money to support a family well (which for 3 kids is at least £100k/yr if you want to send them to the best schools etc).

You really do just sound full of it
  • Options

... and yes, it is entirely possible to have a very active social life whilst putting in silly hours. Just depends how you want to play it. Do you want to go home after work, or do you want to go out etc etc. It's totally up to the person to do with their time what they want.

I don't do 70 hours/week (unless working weekends), but 55 hours is quite common and what is often the case is that I find I have more social offers than I know what to do with so usually spend 2 or 3 week nights at home, instead of going out.

I think it's a case of unless you've tried it yourself, you won't know... and even if you have, perhaps it's not for you. :)
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are being so hostile. :rolleyes:

I agree with this. It's as if earning well and admitting it around here makes you a legit target for some reason.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    You really do just sound full of it

I disagree - what they are saying is correct. IF you are wanting to send your kids to the best private schools, you WILL need a very sizeable income.

It just depends what you are wanting. I don't intend to have children (if I can help it!), and so this is something that won't really have any bearing on me, but if your school is £12000 a year (I have no idea what accurate figures would be here) per child, then you're looking at £36000/year of expenditure just there. You'd have to be on around a six figure salary to support that kind of cost.

All comes down to what you're aiming for and if its attainable or not. You live to your means, in my experience, and so if your means allow you certain 'things' you more often than not will have them.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I agree with this. It's as if earning well and admitting it around here makes you a legit target for some reason.

:yes:

Bit of a shame. This new poster certainly hasn't worded anything in any form of offensive manner.
  • Options
    i think riccardo has come across as a bit of a cock in previous posts, hence the hostility....i don't think it's intentional maybe he's just autistic or something. nowt wrong with earning a decent wage but it does seem to be a common theme with his posts in terms of defining everyone and everything by how much they earn, fraid there's more to life...or maybe not in his case?
  • Options
    i think riccardo has come across as a bit of a cock in previous posts, hence the hostility....i don't think it's intentional maybe he's just autistic or something. nowt wrong with earning a decent wage but it does seem to be a common theme with his posts in terms of defining everyone and everything by how much they earn, fraid there's more to life...

This can't be Ricardo nor Jomery as neither of them had 4/5 years experience.

If going by information posted, people thinking that are simply wrong... But yes, I agree that perhaps they've fouled the water for anybody else from an investment banking background.
  • Options
    well it wouldn't be the first time a banned poster invented another alias, i never really read ricardo's threads except for a good chuckle so if it's not the same man fair play, i can only think of 2 investment bankers on these forums in the last 7 years, coincidence perhaps?
  • Options
    well it wouldn't be the first time a banned poster invented another alias, i never really read ricardo's threads except for a good chuckle so if it's not the same man fair play, i can only think of 2 investment bankers on these forums in the last 7 years, coincidence perhaps?

True - although I am not sure why they would bother inventing a whole load of extra years of experience...?

Also, Jomery did a different job - although I forget the exact title. He wasn't an investment banker.
  • Options
    lol never heard of this jomery chap, in any case investment banking is an endangered profession so maybe that's why they're popping up on here all of a sudden.
  • Options
    lol never heard of this jomery chap, in any case investment banking is an endangered profession so maybe that's why they're popping up on here all of a sudden.

Hahhaah - he was the guy who couldn't get a girl (was a virgin and was desperate to lose it), threw his money at party girls (idiot) and generally copped a flaming. People assumed Ricardo was Jomery, even though it was obvious (to some, at least) that he was a totally different character. Admittedly, some similar traits, but not the same person.